Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby bigh0rt on Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 pm

My wife, of all people, asked me about AEW this morning, while we had our morning coffee before work, and said "I heard Dean Ambrose is in it." And is interested in watching Double of Nothing. Safe to say they're doing a pretty good job with their reach thus far.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 30, 2019 12:09 am

There's persistent rumours that they might be able to get CM Punk as well. I don't think they necessarily need him to be successful, but it would be another coup.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am

So the NXT ladder match was simply one of the best, if not the best, multi-man ladder matches ever. Some vicious devastating spots, which were mostly mixed in well (not predictable) without it looking obviously set up. Suicide dive into a ladder? lmao

Velveteen vs Breeze was also one of the best matches ive seen in a long time.

Shayna wins again, smh

I skipped the Cole/Gargano match, as i'm not really interested in watching those guys superkick each other for 30 minutes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 am

[Q] wrote:I skipped the Cole/Gargano match, as i'm not really interested in watching those guys superkick each other for 30 minutes

You missed a great match. In my opinion, easily the best of the night.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Got tickets for WWE Live in Sydney in October. First live WWE show, looking forward to it!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 pm

I was surprised Cole went over, but I think that the storyline shown in their 25-minute Takeover preview that Cole did most of the live events while Gargano was on media tour with the belt. Maybe the feud isn't over yet. I think the match went on for long, but it's still a great match. My only gripe is the multiple connections with the Panama Sunrise.

As much as I'm not a fan of Matt Riddle, his match with Roddy Strong was fantastic. The ladder match is insane and Ford's leap to the ladder towards the finish was insane, and Breeze/Dream was a great character match. Breeze said he'll be with NXT for now (which is great!) and I'm seeing that he'll be teaming with Dream given what happened post-match.

Andrew wrote:Got tickets for WWE Live in Sydney in October. First live WWE show, looking forward to it!

Enjoy, Andrew! Usually, when they do overseas house shows, they're doing the same shows on each town so I guess don't look up the house show results online.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

No fear there, the tour is actually starting in Sydney. That show will be the spoiler for everyone else. ;)

I'm warming up to Firefly Fun House, but I'm concerned about where Bray's character goes once he has to return to the ring and have some kind of payoff against someone else. I can get on board with the build, it's the culmination and continuation of the gimmick I'm concerned about. They can't drop the ball on him, again. I mean, they certainly can, but they mustn't.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:15 am

Yeah I feel like I should like Riddle (my cousin lives him) but I can't seem to do it.

The Bray thing is just too weird. I still don't get it and skip his segments. I feel like it's to the point now where he should be doing stuff in the ring, terrorizing other people or whatever. They ruined a good segment (The Fashion Police) by milking them for backstage segments but no actual in ring action.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:50 am

I mean, I'm probably starting to get my hopes up for nothing, but I feel like it still has potential if they can follow through once it comes to the in-ring stuff, where he'll actually have to feud with someone.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 pm

But that's where they failed with him before, so my Outlook isn't too bright on that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Definitely. 50/50 (or worse) booking hasn't done anyone any favours in recent years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Heard that Undertaker vs Goldberg was an absolute disaster. Haven't watched the entire match, but looking at some clips...

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

...I'd say that's an accurate assessment.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 am

Oh man. That's just scary to watch.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I know I've defended some of Taker's appearances in recent years, but when it's gone beyond "This guy is definitely past his prime" and reached "This guy's matches are now a legitimate danger to himself and his opponent"...yeah, it's definitely past time to call it a day.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:56 pm

That's the problem with having two old guys go at it like it's 1999. They need like an AJ Styles or someone athletic enough to carry the match and cover mistakes. But then again, Seth Rollins ended Sting's career, so maybe they shouldn't be doing it at all...
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Not at all, I'd say. Unfortunately, Taker's reached the point he once mentioned as being the moment he'd know it was time to retire.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

The 205 triple threat match from Sunday was the best match Ive seen in a while. Tozawa, nese, and gulak put on a great match
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:46 pm

Undertaker and Roman Reigns vs Shane McMahon and Drew McIntyre at Extreme Rules.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 am

WWE names Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff Executive Directors of Raw and SmackDown LIVE

It's reportedly not a work:

The announcement today that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff have signed on with WWE to become Executive Directors of the Raw and Smackdown brands is a legitimate announcement, not a storyline situation.

We are told that they will be overseeing all aspects of their individual series, answering directly to Vince McMahon. They are now the top of the pyramid, respectively, for Raw and Smackdown but obviously McMahon will always have the last say. One WWE source compared their roles to Paul Levesque's in NXT in that they will be in charge, but it's still Vince's company.

Heyman is expected to continue his role as Brock Lesnar's advocate.

There is no word yet whether Bischoff will appear on camera, but given how good of a performer he is, one would think it's just a matter of time.

Here's hoping for the best. It's definitely promising and exciting news!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Reports say that Raw and Smackdown were both good this week, with Kofi flipping the bird on Joe on Smackdown.

I've also seen reports of Vince wanting the wrestlers to stop wrestling during commercial breaks, which explains the abundance of 2-out-of-3 falls matches these past few weeks on both shows.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm

I think they need to come up with a better idea than overusing the 2-out-of-3 falls stipulation, though. The idea of not having wrestling during the commercial breaks does have merit, though.

They're definitely pushing the envelope a little more, with Corey Graves dropping a "Holy shit!" when Braun tackled Lashley through the stage.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:40 am

2 out of 3 falls was already dumb because it always goes to 3, but perhaps they should start using timed "rounds" like UFC for a reason to stop for commercial. Plus it allows them to openly time matches which may make planning the shows easier
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:47 am

I think last week one of the 2/3 falls matches went 2-0

I personally really like it, knowing a break is coming up gets me more interested knowing that whatever is going on is going to finish/get mucked up in a minute or two. It's better than the killing time they do in the Smackdown picture-in-picture stuff.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:34 am

Hmm that's a good point. I always hated pulling out my microscope to watch what was going on during the picture in picture

I guess they can do 2-0 for guys who are getting over clean or in a squash. Well, none of the matches on raw really matter anyways, it seems like they try to make a good live show for the audience and try to make it somewhat coherent for the TV audience and the ongoing storylines
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 am

It's not so bad if they make it less predictable with a few 2-0 sweeps here and there, but I still think it's in danger of being overused.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic