2019 NBA Finals: Raptors vs. Warriors

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Who ya got?

Raps in 4
13%
Raptors in 5
7%
Raptors in 6
13%
Raptors in 7
33%
Warriors in 4
7%
Warriors in 5
13%
Warriors in 6
No votes
Warriors in 7
7%
Warriors go up 3-0, Drake takes off sweatshirt to reveal Warriors KD jersey
7%
Raptors win 4 straight, Drake rips off Warriors KD jersey to reveal Raptors KD jersey
No votes

Total votes : 15

Re: 2019 NBA Finals: Raptors vs. Warriors

Postby air gordon on Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 pm

Siakam bringing the cheese. Raptors playing the good defense against a GSW team with no shooting outside of splash brothers
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 31, 2019 11:21 pm

What the Raptors did last night is EXACTLY how you compete with the Warriors on the offensive end.

Siakam: 32
Kawhi: 23
Gasol: 20
Van Vleet: 15
Green: 11

25 assists on 39 field goals.

Kawhi with 5-14, and as much as the media tries to paint the biggest stars as "solo acts", that's not what win games. Curry, LeBron etc in no way shape or form won by themselves.

As I stated in the other thread. Offensively the way Toronto attacked GS is exactly the way you compete better with the Warriors, and exactly how you attack good individual defense. Ball movement (25 assists on 39 made shots), body movement (Picks and screens), using more of the floor, and getting everybody in a rhythm, not just one or two guys.

And again, this Warriors team that was on the floor is NOT a super team. They literally have two offensive studs, and do not have the depth that Toronto does. If they can put the clamps on ONE of the two (Klay or Curry), holding them to an average game, Toronto has a great chance of winning.

Great job by Toronto, lets see how the Warriors respond.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:47 am

No mention of the Raptors' superb defense? It was as good as you can have against the Warriors. A lot of pressure and made them feel uncomfortable. Forced them into turnovers and shots that weren't ideal. Portland was too soft and sat back and let them do what they do best.

Plus they have outstanding individual defenders which helps a lot too.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 am

[Q] wrote:No mention of the Raptors' superb defense? It was as good as you can have against the Warriors. A lot of pressure and made them feel uncomfortable. Forced them into turnovers and shots that weren't ideal. Portland was too soft and sat back and let them do what they do best.

I mentioned the Raptors defense. Klay scoring 21 is above average, not elite, they were able to clamp him enough to make Curry the only significant threat on offense. With poor depth and KD out, they need both to show out.

The interior defense for TOR was much better than POR because they have a lot more length, and Siakam is a better athlete than anybody on Portland in regards to protecting the rim. They also pressured the ball higher up to disrupt the rhythm.

Draymond Green scores that layup on Portland, but attempting that with Siakam trailing is entirely different, Siakam stuffed it. The Raptors took care of the ball better as well.

I wanted to make a point about offense because we spent so much time talking about what Houston could have done better.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:04 am

Dee4Three wrote:What the Raptors did last night is EXACTLY how you compete with the Warriors on the offensive end.

Kawhi with 5-14, and as much as the media tries to paint the biggest stars as "solo acts", that's not what win games. Curry, LeBron etc in no way shape or form won by themselves.

As I stated in the other thread. Offensively the way Toronto attacked GS is exactly the way you compete better with the Warriors, and exactly how you attack good individual defense. Ball movement (25 assists on 39 made shots), body movement (Picks and screens), using more of the floor, and getting everybody in a rhythm, not just one or two guys.

And again, this Warriors team that was on the floor is NOT a super team. They literally have two offensive studs, and do not have the depth that Toronto does. If they can put the clamps on ONE of the two (Klay or Curry), holding them to an average game, Toronto has a great chance of winning.

Charles Barkley nailed it when he said today's NBA players are as dumb as rocks. Instead of taking advantage of mismatches and attacking the Warriors IN THE PAINT (like Toronto did), too many cats settle and jack up threes (I think Sir Charles was taking a shot at Houston). Missed threes lead to long rebounds, which leads to fast break baskets for the opposition.
Jeffx

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 am

Jeffx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:What the Raptors did last night is EXACTLY how you compete with the Warriors on the offensive end.

Charles Barkley nailed it when he said today's NBA players are as dumb as rocks. Instead of taking advantage of mismatches and attacking the Warriors IN THE PAINT (like Toronto did), too many cats settle and jack up threes (I think Sir Charles was taking a shot at Houston). Missed threes lead to long rebounds, which leads to fast break baskets for the opposition.

EXACTLY!!!

12 of the 14 FGs Siakam made were inside the 3 point line, most were in the paint. Marc Gasol had 20 points. I've been saying that all along. The Warriors WANT you to take threes and long twos, that completely bails them out.

It is blatantly obvious for anybody who watches the games and knows anything about basketball.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:56 am

Jeffx, except that today's offense is all about creating and attacking the mismatches. There is a reason why position less bball thrives now days, to reduce mismatches at all positions. You simply dont let your Jordan go 1 vs 1 against opponent's best defender anymore.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:08 pm

NovU wrote:Jeffx, except that today's offense is all about creating and attacking the mismatches. There is a reason why position less bball thrives now days, to reduce mismatches at all positions. You simply dont let your Jordan go 1 vs 1 against opponent's best defender anymore.

No, todays basketball is a 3 point shooting fest, with little to no mid or post. Rarely do teams go at MISMATCHES outside of ISOing from the three point line. Seldom do teams attack mismatches in the low or high post, or in the paint.

His and my point stands, (and Barkley's). You attack the paint against teams who lack good rim protection, that is a mismatch all together in YOUR FAVOR. Which is why Siakam and Gasol were able to combine for close to 50 points in that area (40 for the team on the box score, but many points right around it as well)

Even without mismatches, getting by your guy and attacking at the rim against a team who doesnt have great rim protection puts more pressure on that team. Shooting contested or semi contested threes and bailing them out that way is NOT the answer.

Watching teams shoot themselves out of games from three (Denver against POR, Houston against GS this year and last, Celtics against Cavs last year, etc etc)is the WRONG way to go about playing teams who lack rim protection. Denver should have been attacking the basket, Celtics should have been attacking the Cavs in the paint, and so should have the Rockets against GS. It's not "dont shoot threes",its "give the opponent different looks and put pressure on them in the paint and other parts of the floor"

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:12 pm

[Q] wrote:No mention of the Raptors' superb defense? It was as good as you can have against the Warriors. A lot of pressure and made them feel uncomfortable. Forced them into turnovers and shots that weren't ideal. Portland was too soft and sat back and let them do what they do best.

Indeed the best defense GSW has faced these playoffs

Looks like GSW gameplan was to double Leonard. Rapts did well in hitting open shots. Rarely do you see Draymond green get scored on routinely like that.

That matchup will be fun to watch

I sure hope cousins can get going. Dude was passing up shots in the paint
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:57 pm

It was truly gutsy for the Raptors to employ attack Green one on one with Pascal strategy. You dont normally want your player to go one on one vs widely regarded best defensive player of the era.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 am

Siakam for prez if he can repeat 2/3 of that hero game the rest of the series. Aside from him and vanfleet, there wasn't much attacking the paint, no?

Warriors no chance if Draymond plays like fat regular season Draymond again
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:44 am

air gordon wrote:Siakam for prez if he can repeat 2/3 of that hero game the rest of the series. Aside from him and vanfleet, there wasn't much attacking the paint, no?

Warriors no chance if Draymond plays like fat regular season Draymond again

Marc Gasol had 20 points, 8 of which were in the paint. The leading scorer on Toronto was Siakam, and most of his points came in the paint.

That literally tells you that the paint is open for business, especially when your leading scorers attack was in that area (and he shot a total of 14-17, of which 12-14 was inside the three point line)

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 pm

11-38 from downtown for TOR.

Bombs away!
Last edited by Dee4Three on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm

phpBB [video]

Replace Yankees with Raptors.

Warriors did a great job packing the paint and taking away easy baskets. The Raptors ended up chucking threes, and while their overall percentage from downtown wasn't remarkably bad, it was the shots they had to pass up for those long range misses that were the difference. Those easy ones inside and the reliable midrange looks from Game 1 just weren't there. Remarkable they still had a chance at the end, really. Can't give Iggy that shot, though in fairness had they gotten the steal on Curry's pass as they came very close to doing, it could've been a brilliant sequence. But for the bounce of the ball, and all that.

Bad landing for Klay Thompson late in the game. He walked off under his own power though, so with a few games off, he's likely going to be fine for Game 3. Cousins came up big after being a non-factor in Game 1. When Bogut is finishing alley-oops, you know the Warriors are rolling.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 pm

raptors forgot to follow the 10 commandments on how to beat the GSW machine

kudos to GSW on the win. Stephen Curry's, former unanimous MVP winner, greatness was on full display. shows you don't have to score (in the last 5 minutes no less) to make an impact on a win

was that bully basketball/free throw hunting by leonard? there was that stretch of ugly basketball where the whistle blew/ the game slowed down big time each time leonard was shooting
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 am

Great adjust to make Curry set screens. It disrupted the Toronto defense.

Hamstring injuries are notoriously slow to heal and are prone to reinjury
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:55 am

From memory, it knocked Magic Johnson out of the 1989 Finals against the Pistons.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:08 am

Warriors hit 22 shots in the 2nd half, all 22 were assisted.

Toronto went 14-48 in the second half. Out of those 48 shot attempts only 4 were from mid-range.

Curry shot a poor percentage, but that doesnt tell the story. He played a very good, under control game, and was part of erasing the double digit lead to cut it to 5 to end the first half. They used Curry as a screener to throw off TOR a bit which worked well (2nd half)

Doubling Curry up at half court at the end (as Klay was out with an injury)was good in theory, but I think they would have liked to have that one back. The only thing that accomplished was leaving a man wide open, and if you look at the footage again, basically the whole left side of the floor.

GS packed the paint and forced TOR to play a certain way, and they did exactly what GS wanted. Bombs away from downtown. 11 for 38.....

We will see how the Warriors handle these injuries. Klay will probably not be 100%, Durant may come back and probably won't be 100% (he hasn't even completed a full practice), Boogie played well but isn't 100%, and Iggy continues to be a question mark (hes 35 and his body is breaking down, IMO).

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Start to end, this game easily could have been a blow out win for the Raptors but they got comfy with the lead too often and took bad shots which allowed Warriors a few chances to get back into the game. But looks like the Warriors just didnt have enough fire power. Imagine Thompson hitting some of the open looks that other Warriors missed or a few successful possessions he could have awarded the Warriors with his defense, the game would have been another epic thriller.

Otherwise this game was about epic showdown between two superstars, all defense focused on Curry and Kawhi. Curry until 3rd quarter was just crazy, especially in the first. Almost made me think he was just gonna steal the game singlehanded. On the other side, we had Kawhi whom on basic eye test was not superb but in actuality, makes you realize why his game is strong and sound, and he is separated from 2nd tier pack of stars in this league. Only a handful of players can shoot poorly and can make great impact as Kawhi and Harden likes because of their ability to getting to the free throw line. But did Tim Duncan teach him how to shoot freethrow? Kinda reminds me of him lol.

Great to see Marc, Lowry, Green, and Ibaka making big plays after play. Too bad same cant be said for the injury riddled Warriors. Cousins and Green should have stepped up much more in absence of Klay and kD.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:53 am

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba ... ines-500k/

Lowry showed great restraint not pimp-slapping that fool. He had every right to.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 am

It did feel as though the Raptors should've won in a blowout. Curry certainly made that more difficult, he did all that he could. Cousins looked very sluggish after that very solid contribution in Game 2. VanVleet's performance is evoking memories of J.J. Barea in the 2011 Finals.

Good on the league for taking action.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Andrew wrote:I'd love for the Raptors to win it, but I'm going to say Warriors in 5. Or maybe that's a jinx. Probably not, though.

What I meant to say, clearly, was that the Warriors will win in 7 after going down 3-1.

Great second half for the Raptors. I will say though, do the referees know what "clear path" means?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Kawhi's a true threepeat combo breaker. First the Heat now the Warriors.

Did I mention his Jordanesque mid range and Duncanesque freethrows? Combination of best sg and pf. Goat.

Leaving the Spurs has turned out to be a great choice for Kawhi. Spurs' Kawhi was touted as only a great system player (perhaps somewhat also shadowed Greg Popovich's reputation as a great system coach) or at least that was the general perception as KD even backed it up:

"He doing work like this because of the system," Durant tweeted about Leonard. "Put Paul George on the Spurs and what would happen?”
lol

Result speaks itself, he is now getting the recognition which he has always deserved. Despite being a league top tier player for a very long time, he was always an underdog in everyone's narrative. He was picked 14th. Pacers traded him to the Spurs for washing machine and bag of chips. He won Finals MVP but didnt make allstar for years after. And ppl were mad for losing DeRozan over this kid.

Also hear how he won over his teammates' heart is another story. Lowry was the guy not shy of expressing his nasty feelings over DeRozan trade but hear what he said about Kawhi recently. You dont hear this type of genuine support for a fellow teammates too often these days.

"We've got to help him," Lowry told ESPN. "I was literally saying it during the game. We have to help him. He's doing everything he can possibly do offensively and defensively to f---ing win games, and myself, I'm not helping him enough. "I'm not putting it on nobody else but me."

He leads the team by his action yet with humble demeanor, not with shitty commanding attitude like Kobe, nor has to shit talk a lot to lead like KG and Rondo, nor has to GM the team like LeBronto. He is just a true good guy superstar that we prolly have never had before.

This is a happy day for me as a candien fan and also as a long time Kawhi's fan. Now Skip, say his name!
Last edited by NovU on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Board man gets paid!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:28 pm

most fans forgot Kawhi is already a champion and he almost defeated Warriors back in 2017 until they sent a goon in the name of Zaza
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball