Some info on next-gen consoles

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Some info on next-gen consoles

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-s ... n-console/

This is actual interview with Mark Cerny - Lead System Architect of PS4 and apparently for the upcoming one as well.

In short:

First of all, PS5 not to be expected in 2019, but studios already have devkits available.

PS5 (and likely whatever Xbox will be coming) will support ray-tracing. This, if properly implemented, could be huge for both NBA 2K and NBA Live as far as visuals go. Big part of the visuals are the courts and namely the reflections on the courts - lights and objects. Ray-tracing could provide very big improvement to these.

Just take a look how ray-tracing improved visuals of Minecraft: https://twitter.com/notglacier/status/1 ... 0602859520

Also SSDs will be a thing. Looks like some PCI-E attached hardware, but obviously subject to limitations or changes.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Re: Some info on next-gen consoles

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Backwards compatibility with PS4 will be huge if that goes ahead.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 am

Given that Xbox One does that and they even offer the cross-ownership on Xbox One and PC for digital purchases of MS titles...

I'd say backwards compatibility is almost given for PS5. MS would be stupid to get rid of it too. PS4 got some flak for not being backwards compatible with PS3 after all and opted for the PlayStation Now service later on.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am

I'm definitely hoping Sony took that criticism to heart.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:45 am

I need backwards compatability; I cannot afford to add another console (logistically): right now I have an Xbox One, PS4, PS3, Switch, 360, Wii U, SNES, SNES Classic, N64, NES Classic, Wii and PS Classic hooked up between two TVs (and they all serve a purpose that is not overlapped)... I'm not crazy. Half of them my brother bought for me, and I do get good mileage out of all of them.
[Hyperize]

Postby bigh0rt on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:09 am

Mate I reckon you should put down them sticks and go outside for a brief stint. It's Spring time, and I bet it's even beautiful outside in Cleveland. Cheers. :chug:
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

That is an impressive setup. I've only got my PS4, 360, and PS2 currently setup, with the latter two being the oldest ones I'm most commonly referring back to for various NLSC features. I have my NES, SNES, and N64 on hand to play or fire up for content creation purposes, but I do have to get them out and hook them up as needed/desired.

Being able to slot a PS5 in place of the PS4 and just use it instead will be handy when the time comes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:Mate I reckon you should put down them sticks and go outside for a brief stint. It's Spring time, and I bet it's even beautiful outside in Cleveland. Cheers. :chug:

I didn't say I played them 24/7! :wink: Plus, it was snowing here last week. :lol: Spring-time don't mean shit to Cleveland; Cleveland don't give af.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon May 27, 2019 7:41 am

You know what; since I actually want people to see how much of a disaster this is, I photographed it:

And I added a Dreamcast to the collection since then. :lol:

I mean, it really isn't that bad if I had the discipline to put the controllers away lol.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Could be tidier, but that's still a nifty setup to switch between some current gen, recent gen, and old school gaming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57 pm

So... Don't wanna say I called it, but... Who am I kidding, I called it and wanna say it :cool:
viewtopic.php?f=240&t=105922&p=1942543&hilit=2020#p1942543

Microsoft unveiled their new console, set to release for holidays 2020.
phpBB [video]

Some points:
  • In surprise to nobody, it will be powered by AMD.
  • Reducing loading times is a big selling point (likely some form of SSD, perhaps onboard, perhaps PCI-E 4.0 standard).
  • CPU+GPU combo (APU) claimed to be 4x as powerful as Xbox One X. Based on Zen 2 and Navi micro architectures.
  • GDDR6 memory used - currently RTX 2080 Ti has it, so it is new tech. High bandwidth, suboptimal as a system memory, but not bad either.
  • FPS up to 120 (I'm gonna go ahead and say that's for 1080p).
  • Support up to 8K resolution apparently.
  • HW accelerated Ray Tracing. Quality unknown, I'm not gonna hold my breath for 2080 Ti level of RT, but still could be amazing for NBA games.
  • Launch title will be HALO Infinite.

So far, except for the HALO Infinite of course, the console seems to be pretty much up to par with what was said about PS5.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Murat on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:36 am

Ray tracing thing looks massive. Whoa.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Off-Topic