Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Yeah, it was cool in retrospect, as though he was paying tribute to the brother he thought he lost. Or the brother he thought he killed. They've gone back and forth on the canon, there.

phpBB [video]

Definitely agree in regards to Lacey Evans, and the Baron Corbin comparison is a good one. I've seen people say "well, he's getting heat, isn't he?", and he does and it works because he is a heel, but as I said before, it's lukewarm "we don't want to see this character, go away" negative reactions, rather than white hot "we can't wait to see this person get destroyed by our favourite babyface" heat. Similar situation to Lacey Evans, who hasn't done anything enjoyable or worth taking seriously. That Becky is as over as she is despite the horrible booking is a testament to her as a performer, and her dedication to her character. If WWE booked the Attitude Era like this, WCW would've won the Monday Night Wars.

I'll give the new Bray character a chance as it has the potential to be really messed up and entertaining, but halfway through that segment I was like "Yeah, I get it, that's probably enough." The biggest problem with Bray's character over the years is that he's become generically creepy with no purpose or motivation to his character, nor enough success in the ring to make what he says meaningful or threatening. If this character is just as directionless, it won't matter. The skits will become tiresome, and it'll be tough to care about a character that doesn't really achieve anything or have any kind of purposeful, coherent storyline.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm

[Q] wrote:Able to bring Cain

I see what you did there.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 am

This Bray "creepy Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" thing is still really weird. I don't think it'll catch on. I'm down for weird shit but I just don't get it.

Looks like Brock has decided UFC won't pay him enough to go back, so he'll take the easy money from Vince. I would imagine we'll be back from the Saudi show, and assuming Seth goes over again.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 02, 2019 11:20 am

One would hope, but after the way he's been booked these past five years, I could see them making another colossal mistake.

Meanwhile, looks like Dean Ambrose is gone, and Jon Moxley is back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 pm

There's now a "wildcard rule" on the shake-up, allowing up to three stars from each brand to appear in each other's shows. But apparently, apart from Kofi, Bryan, and Reigns, there were more that appeared on Raw earlier. :lol: I think they're doing this to keep the shows fresh but that also means less time for underutilized talent on both brands.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm

It may also be testing the waters to end the brand split. It hasn't been particularly successful in my opinion, with the booking of Brock Lesnar having a lot to do with that.

If they are going to continue it, I'd rather have floating major champions that can appear on both or either show, perhaps with an exclusive singles belt (US and IC, for example) as the top belt for each brand while the big belt is the champion of the entire company. It'd be a similar model to the old territory days, which I think makes the most sense; especially when one of the world titles is a complete joke and permanently damaged from how it's been booked.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Andrew wrote:I'd rather have floating major champions that can appear on both or either show, perhaps with an exclusive singles belt (US and IC, for example) as the top belt for each brand while the big belt is the champion of the entire company. It'd be a similar model to the old territory days, which I think makes the most sense; especially when one of the world titles is a complete joke and permanently damaged from how it's been booked.

I like this idea! In this model, I would have to keep the tag belts separate.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am

Becky is essentially doing both shows at this point. Proof that it could work that way
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 am

Smackdown moving to Fox could complicate that of course, if they insist on some exclusivity as to who appears on Smackdown.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am

Thqts a good point. I've heard that they've already made demands like that. This shakeup could be them positioning wrestlers based on requests from Fox. Plus isn't the new Fox schedule putting SD on Friday nights?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 08, 2019 12:04 pm

They are moving back to Fridays, which is going to mean more travel for any floating champions.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 am

AEW announced its weekly TV deal with TNT.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 am

Dang, that's huge news. Another step towards being the next great rival to WWE like WCW was. Hell they even got onto the same channel that WCW was on lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 am

Oh boy, Vince better step up his shit. I mean AEW is way far off in being an empire but he should at least be worried about talent jumping ship and viewers losing interest.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 am

There are a lot of rumours circling that HHH is really frustrated with Vince, who continues to be out of touch and heavily re-write every show hours before they go to air. Also, apparently Dana Warrior, the Ultimate Warrior's widow, has a prominent position on the writing staff.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu May 16, 2019 4:08 am

Yeah, apparently the Shake-up and the "Wildcard Rule" were examples of Vince re-doing things last-minute. And I wouldn't blame Triple H, too. His NXT talent often go to a dead end months after being in the main roster, plus the day-and-night difference in the booking of NXT and the main roster.

Andrew wrote:Also, apparently Dana Warrior, the Ultimate Warrior's widow, has a prominent position on the writing staff.

One would think that Paul Heyman would've been fit for that job.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu May 16, 2019 4:34 am

I get why Vince has done the Wildcard Rule (to showcase top stars on both shows) but to me it makes it less interesting as every week virtually becomes a go-home show where nothing ever happens story wise. The only people that really benefits are the networks who want top stars featured on their shows as well as people who watch the event live who get to see more of the top guys live.

Anybody who wasn't solidly in the midcard or higher has lost their spot on TV
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am

WWE's weekly offerings are basically unwatchable right now, so I welcome an alternative program to check out weekly.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am

The Wildcard Rule, poorly thought out and executed as it is, is likely the first step towards ending the brand split. I'm all for that, as it's been even worse this time around. It's definitely has killed the midcard, and returned to an oversaturation of Roman Reigns.

Leave it to WWE to drive a crowd to turn on a cancer survivor.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 am

Rhodes also touted the company’s plans to emphasize analytics as part of the show.

“One thing we really strongly want to present is wins and losses mattering again in pro wrestling. That takes more than the W and the L column,” he said. “We’re talking about percentage of times someone loses to this particular maneuver, percentages against somebody of this height, a whole by-the-numbers approach that really intrigues me. It’s not a cornerstone of AEW necessarily but it’s a great peripheral element we’re working on and that’s going to be exclusive to us.”
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 am

An interesting idea in terms of authenticity in the kayfabe.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri May 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Would that lessen the multiple false-finishes after multiple finishers? (then again, that was how they were booked in NJPW)

Meanwhile, it was reported that Ashley Massaro passed away.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Only 39. Way too young.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Having wins and losses matter would be a breath of fresh air from WWE's nonsense booking and seemingly random matchups, mashups, and feuds. Oh and hopefully the bimbo blondes don't get pushed because they're blondes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri May 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Nah, they'll just be made Executive Vice President. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic