What is Ben Simmons?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What is Ben Simmons?

C
No votes
PF
7%
SF
20%
SG
No votes
PG
20%
A bitch that should just learn how to shoot 3s
27%
Who cares?
27%

Total votes : 15

What is Ben Simmons?

Postby [Q] on Fri May 10, 2019 5:57 am

Is he a SF? PG? C?

Something just doesn't seem right about his fit with Joel and on this team. His lack of 3 ball has led people to argue that he's a small ball center. I could see him being like how the Suns used Diaw as a 6'8" center but even then he still shot 3s.

I guess to go along with that, is it a necessity these days to be able to shoot the 3? Not too many players in the league that don't shoot them nowadays
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: What is Ben Simmons?

Postby air gordon on Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am

It's a fit issue with the current roster.

He doesn't necessarily have to shoot 3's but it makes him a non factor against legit defenses in the half court
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 pm

I would say a point forward or oversized point guard.

He doesn't necessarily need to shoot threes, but he does need to be able to shoot further out than he's currently comfortable with. To compare him to another oversized point guard (and admittedly a lesser player, but someone who would normally appear to have an outdated style), Shaun Livingston isn't a three-point shooter, but he's capable from midrange and in the post, as well as driving. He's also on a team where there are more than a couple of other players that can spread the floor and knock down threes, so that doesn't have to be his role.

You don't need to be a three-point threat if you're a good fit with what you can bring to the table. Simmons needs more reliability and consistency in his offensive arsenal, as that'll be the first step in making him a better fit. From there, the team has to be able to make use of his ability to drive and dish with a couple of other capable scoring threats.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri May 10, 2019 11:58 pm

hard nowadays to put 2 non floor spacers on the floor at the same time in the playoffs, which is the current setup in philly
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sat May 11, 2019 3:07 am

Simmons is a PG, they are one game away from the ECF with him running the show, and could make the finals this year. Even with his inability to shoot (at all), he is still the starting PG on a successful team. His upside as a PG is obviously his size, his speed in the open floor, his speed going downhill, and his solid court vision. IMO he is a PG through and through.

However, he should spend the majority of his summer working on his shot (obviously). Magic Johnson wasn't a great shooter, but he had to be respected out there. Not comparing the two overall, as I don't think Ben at this stage is even close. Rondo even had a shot he could knock down once in awhile, which made the defense have to play up a bit more.

Ben Simmons would be more of a liability on the wings, as he doesn't exactly give you quality floor spacing. Nobody is running out to the wing to close out Ben Simmons, nobody is worried about being on help side because Ben Simmons is behind them open in the opposite corner.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sat May 11, 2019 5:29 am

People are too attached to this idea of conventional positions. With the homogeneity of today's game, your position is really just based on who you're guarding. The days of traditional point guards like Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, etc is fading away.

People are obsessed with tearing down Simmons due to the major deficiency in his game and his Hibbert-like playoff performances but he's very good and very young.
Lamrock

Postby air gordon on Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 am

very young and very good in the regular season.

against the raptors... very young

sixers could be a threat to make the nba finals if they had a guard like pat beverley instead of simmons. just saying
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Lamrock wrote:People are too attached to this idea of conventional positions. With the homogeneity of today's game, your position is really just based on who you're guarding. The days of traditional point guards like Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, etc is fading away.

I'm not sure about that. As much as "positionless basketball" is touted these days, we still see a lot of players falling into traditional roles based on their skillset, listed position, and physical attributes. For example, a big like DeMarcus Cousins may handle the ball and even bring it up on occasion - as players like David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and even Shaquille O'Neal did at times - but primary ballhandling duties still tend to fall to a smaller point guard in more of the traditional mould, or a point forward (which isn't a new or recent concept). There's a reason too, as while Cousins can handle the ball, you certainly won't mistake his dribbling ability for that of a Kyrie Irving or John Wall.

Lamrock wrote:People are obsessed with tearing down Simmons due to the major deficiency in his game and his Hibbert-like playoff performances but he's very good and very young.

I mean, that's just the way it goes. People like Dwyane Wade before the Heat won the 2006 NBA Finals. Blake Griffin's dunks made him quite popular until people suddenly got sick of seeing the NBA's YouTube channel and social media pumping out videos of them. Simmons is talented and still has lots of potential, which is going to draw detractors as much as it will fans. The Rookie of the Year controversy doesn't help either.

With that being said, there is a valid point in there. The best of the best improve their game at the professional level, developing new skills and working to turn weaknesses into strengths (or less of a liability, at any rate). It's something that Simmons will have to work on, if he's to take that next step.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Andrew wrote:The best of the best improve their game at the professional level, developing new skills and working to turn weaknesses into strengths (or less of a liability, at any rate). It's something that Simmons will have to work on, if he's to take that next step.

He needs to find his inner Chris Mullin, be a gym rat this summer, and shoot 1000+ Js. He doesn't need a 3-point shot...a deadly mid-range game will do, IMO.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Agreed. It won't hurt if he can step back or spot up and hit a few threes, but even a midrange shot will give him another weapon and keep defenses honest.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 am

why not just call a spade a spade? simmons could go the giannis route
Jump.
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm

He's plays PG on offense and guards the PF on defense.

I agree that he doesn't necessarily need a 3point shot to be successful in the league but disagree that it's a fit issue with the roster.

He still needs to know how to position himself when he gives up the ball.

I've seen him dish the ball to Embiid in the low post and Simmons just stands there on the top of the key while Embiid gets double teamed, Simmons doesn't even cut to the basket or set a screen for a teammate to get open on the perimeter so Embiid can kick the ball out, Simmons just stands there and watches his defender go double on Embiid.

His lack of range won't matter soon anyway, Giannis and eventually Zion will make sure that the league will fall out of love with chucking 3s and opt for driving to the basket with bad intentions like the old days.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat May 18, 2019 2:01 pm

shadowgrin wrote:His lack of range won't matter soon anyway, Giannis and eventually Zion will make sure that the league will fall out of love with chucking 3s and opt for driving to the basket with bad intentions like the old days.

I like that vision of the future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat May 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Andrew wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:His lack of range won't matter soon anyway, Giannis and eventually Zion will make sure that the league will fall out of love with chucking 3s and opt for driving to the basket with bad intentions like the old days.

Jackal

Postby NovU on Sun May 19, 2019 5:44 pm

And in the future we will cry about how modern ball sucks and old era players actually knew how to shoot a basketball.

Ben Simmons was hyped up to be the next LBJ but isnt going to live up to it without shooting. He has to develop one like Giannis did, there is hope as he is young.

I dont think he has definitive position in modern ball era. He can go 1-4 depending on situational call.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Jackal wrote:
Andrew wrote:

[ Image ]

If only developing a jumper could be achieved with a snap of one's fingers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 am

so fultz has a chance too
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Patr1ck on Sun May 26, 2019 5:10 am

I personally think Ben Simmons is one of those awkward players who benefits from their awkwardness. Look at this and tell me he is not supposed to be shooting right handed. That right elbow is quite aligned. I think he might actually be stupid or challenged or something. I don't mean to sound negative. I think he can become the best player in the league. He's just waiting for someone to tell him to turn his wrists 90 degrees.

Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 26, 2019 3:24 pm

To be fair, he might not be finished with his shooting motion at the time the picture was taken, but yeah looks like lonzos shot
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/1 ... 8928930816

Obviously it's just one shot in a blow-out pre-season game. But it's nice to see him make one and the reaction from everyone in the arena was great.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Murat on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:32 pm

It's a confident 3-pointer. I believe we're going to see more of these in regular season.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:03 am

great for him. i'm hoping he starts hitting. same with markelle fultz
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:06 am

Definitely a promising sign.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball