2019 Playoffs: (1) Golden State vs. (4) Houston

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Who ya got?

Warriors in 4
No votes
Warriors in 5
17%
Warriors in 6
33%
Warriors in 7
No votes
Rockets in 4
No votes
Rockets in 5
No votes
Rockets in 6
17%
Rockets in 7
17%
Warriors lose, sign Kawhi to MLE
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: 2019 Playoffs: (1) Golden State vs. (4) Houston

Postby air gordon on Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Series tied up 2-2 (Y)

bill simmons recently called chris paul one of the worst clutch players on his pod. kinda funny to hear him call him out since cp3 doesn't play for LA/his team is not a rival of the celts
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 am

Harden centered Rockets have been amazing this series thus far. I don't believe Harden is a better individual player than KD or Curry, or that Rockets have better individual players overall. Just look at the Warriors roster and depth, they're god-like. And yet, the series are tied at 2 apiece, perhaps would have been the Rockets with 3-1 lead if a few calls went their way in game 1.

You see why people shouldn't be confused and claim the Rockets basketball isn't about teamplay. The warriors have superior individual talents but the Rockets make use of whatever the lessor talents efficiently in teamplay environment each to their strength.

What a feisty fights both teams have been putting up. How can you not love this series with full of dramas, heroes and villains? Rivalry is peaking, let's just enjoy the show whatever happens.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 am

Warriors starting lineup trumps the rockets 5. but with Iggy with the starters, GSW bench is tragically bad. who would've known Austin Rivers would be playing a key role in this series

great series (Y)
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby debiler on Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Kevin wrote:
But on a very serious note (and I'm really not kidding) - do the Rockets even need a coach?

troll or...

b. Why do they keep shooting and missing?

I-

Because watching the Rockets is getting worse than watching the all-star game.

Thought you hated iso plays? The ASG relied on threes to procure hype, that's Warriors music right there.

Iso, shoot or drive, try to rebound, defend, repeat. No plays being run, no movement on offense. And the refs making :turrible: calls on top of that. It's horrible to watch.

wasn't the gameplan decades ago, iso plays for the most part? That's what the rockets are doing with harden with just more emphasis on three-pointers and not mid-range shots. (and kick outs to players who can also shoot threes)

If you want to hate on any of these two teams here, hate on the Warriors. They changed the NBA landscape and made it to this. Small ball, erasure of pure post centers, the emergence (or normalization) of stretch 4s and 5s, and the importance of the three-ball because after a hundred years analytics finally figured out that 3>2

Oh, don't get me wrong - I dislike the Warriors too. And to clarify my earlier post: No, I don't hate ISO plays and I don't hate 3-point plays either. What I do hate, however, is when a team does nothing else. The inability to do anything but go for the three is exactly what cost the Rockets game 7 last year. I can't believe they stuck with that gameplan even though they were ice cold from downtown all game long. That's why I asked if they even needed a coach. If they're gonna do the same thing over and over again, the question automatically arises. You have one of the best point guards of the modern era on that team - but you don't utilize his full skillset. It's frustrating as hell to watch. I do enjoy the way PJ Tucker is playing, though. Dudes got heart.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby debiler on Wed May 08, 2019 7:35 pm

NovU wrote:LoL, Rockets took 50 threes.

debiler wrote:a. I thought this was a team game...
c. Where's the fun in watching that?

90-00 basketball with Iverson, McGrady, Kobe, Jordan, and Arenas! You must hate basketball.

Yes, these players were all dominating the ball. But if you can't spot the difference between how these guys' teams played on offense and what the Rockets are doing, then you will likely not understand what I mean.
I get that it can be effective to play that way, I really do. But do I enjoy watching that? No way in bloody hell.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm

debiler wrote:
Kevin wrote:
But on a very serious note (and I'm really not kidding) - do the Rockets even need a coach?

troll or...

I-

Because watching the Rockets is getting worse than watching the all-star game.

Thought you hated iso plays? The ASG relied on threes to procure hype, that's Warriors music right there.

Iso, shoot or drive, try to rebound, defend, repeat. No plays being run, no movement on offense. And the refs making :turrible: calls on top of that. It's horrible to watch.

wasn't the gameplan decades ago, iso plays for the most part? That's what the rockets are doing with harden with just more emphasis on three-pointers and not mid-range shots. (and kick outs to players who can also shoot threes)

If you want to hate on any of these two teams here, hate on the Warriors. They changed the NBA landscape and made it to this. Small ball, erasure of pure post centers, the emergence (or normalization) of stretch 4s and 5s, and the importance of the three-ball because after a hundred years analytics finally figured out that 3>2

Oh, don't get me wrong - I dislike the Warriors too. And to clarify my earlier post: No, I don't hate ISO plays and I don't hate 3-point plays either. What I do hate, however, is when a team does nothing else. The inability to do anything but go for the three is exactly what cost the Rockets game 7 last year. I can't believe they stuck with that gameplan even though they were ice cold from downtown all game long. That's why I asked if they even needed a coach. If they're gonna do the same thing over and over again, the question automatically arises. You have one of the best point guards of the modern era on that team - but you don't utilize his full skillset. It's frustrating as hell to watch. I do enjoy the way PJ Tucker is playing, though. Dudes got heart.

The statement that we should be upset at GS for creating the style that Houston is playing is incredibly off. The only thing the two have in common is they like to shoot the three more than the average team.

Golden State has been praised for 5+ years for TEAMWORK, for sharing and moving the ball, for everybody getting involved. Its literally been the staple to that team. The only time ISO ball ever got brought up in regards to GS is with Durant LAST SEASON, and that went away fast. The amount of times fans and media members have commented about the Warriors beautiful brand of basketball with things like "if you don't like watching the Warriors play, you don't like basketball", is unreal, its literally been the staple to that team, even the majority of the time when Durant has been with them.

Houston is playing ISO ball the majority of 48 minutes, with one player dribbling down the shot clock and often times chucking up contested shots. They are the OPPOSITE of what GS has been doing over the last 5 or so years. Which is incredibly easy to see watching them play. Comparing GS team oriented, ball movement style to Houstons incredibly ISO heavy style, and saying GS paved the way for that. Doesn't make any sense.

In regards to the players mentioned. Those teams with those players didn't play even close to the brand of basketball HOU is playing, watching the games is night and day different. Those players ISOd at times, but not nearly as much. I'll say like this guy said, if you cant easily see the difference between the way HOU is playing compared to the players and teams mentioned above, I don't know what to tell you. It's really obvious. Go back and watch full games of Kobe with the 05-06 Lakers. Arenas with the 06-07 Wizards, TMac with the 02-03 Magic. Etc. Even in the games where they scored 50, it was done in an entirely different way where the ball did move more, and the shot selection was vastly different. Full games are on YT, I reccomend rewatching them, its really easy to see the difference.

And the fact that you brought up Jordan's style in a comparison to the way the Rockets play, means its REALLY time to move on, because you don't get it. Jordan was an elite system player who got a lot of his points coming off screens in the mid range, or catch and go. And when he did ISO, it wasn't just on the perimeter, it was in the high and low post.

The closest thing to Houstons brand of basketball is the Cavs brand of basketball in LeBrons final season, where he would dribble out the shot clock at the top of the key constantly and make a decision at the last minute. That was incredibly ISO heavy ball, with less threes. But still, we haven't seen this brand of basketball HOU is playing EVER.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu May 09, 2019 12:59 am

jordan was an elite system player? :o
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 am

air gordon wrote:jordan was an elite system player? :o

I mean, you know that. So why ask?you weren't the one who put Jordan in the comparison with the Houston Rockets and James Hardens style of play.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu May 09, 2019 1:56 am

Triangle Offense, Phil Jackson :?:
MJ was in the system, ball was shared on offense even if he took most of the shoots.
While LBJ, Giánnis, Harden are the "system" : drive or pass
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 2:21 am

sticky-fingers wrote:

Triangle Offense, Phil Jackson :?:
MJ was in the system, ball was shared on offense even if he took most of the shoots.
While LBJ, Giánnis, Harden are the "system" : drive or pass

Sticky, he is being useless. He is saying that as a "that's obvious" gesture, but being snarky about it. It's being an agitator.

What he should be doing is agreeing that it's ridiculous to compare Jordan and the Bulls in the 90's to Houstons style of play now, because anybody who knows a lick about basketball would tell you that's ridiculous. Furthermore, if he wants to get involved, state that comparing the way GS has played over the last 5 or so years to what Houston is playing now is also silly, and that both styles are drastically different.

But you know, this is how he operates. Comments with no substance, answering questions with questions the majority of the time, picking out one item to pick at in a large post that makes sense (Selectively choosing who he does that with as well), moving the goal posts, etc. It's an incredible waste of time.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu May 09, 2019 3:51 am

debiler wrote:
NovU wrote:LoL, Rockets took 50 threes.

debiler wrote:a. I thought this was a team game...
c. Where's the fun in watching that?

90-00 basketball with Iverson, McGrady, Kobe, Jordan, and Arenas! You must hate basketball.

Yes, these players were all dominating the ball. But if you can't spot the difference between how these guys' teams played on offense and what the Rockets are doing, then you will likely not understand what I mean.
I get that it can be effective to play that way, I really do. But do I enjoy watching that? No way in bloody hell.

Fair enough though I can’t agree as rockets v warriors series has been the most entertaining one since LBJ Heat days.

The Rockets in the po always been fun for me to watch especially since cp3 joining. And more so than the Warriors. It’s all rpersonal preference I guess. Like you hated the Heat team, I didn’t.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Kevin on Thu May 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
The statement that we should be upset at GS for creating the style that Houston is playing is incredibly off. The only thing the two have in common is they like to shoot the three more than the average team.

Golden State has been praised for 5+ years for TEAMWORK, for sharing and moving the ball, for everybody getting involved. Its literally been the staple to that team. The only time ISO ball ever got brought up in regards to GS is with Durant LAST SEASON, and that went away fast. The amount of times fans and media members have commented about the Warriors beautiful brand of basketball with things like "if you don't like watching the Warriors play, you don't like basketball", is unreal, its literally been the staple to that team, even the majority of the time when Durant has been with them.

Houston is playing ISO ball the majority of 48 minutes, with one player dribbling down the shot clock and often times chucking up contested shots. They are the OPPOSITE of what GS has been doing over the last 5 or so years. Which is incredibly easy to see watching them play. Comparing GS team oriented, ball movement style to Houstons incredibly ISO heavy style, and saying GS paved the way for that. Doesn't make any sense.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, Dee. I didn't say that GS created the style that Houston is playing, I meant that GS' heavy use of the 3pt line made the NBA use it more often now too, unlike before with the postup game and the midrange isos. He also has clarified that he didn't hate 3pt plays which I thought he did hence the "hate on the Warriors" remark.

PS: Can we chill with the passive-aggressive comments on this thread? yall gotta chill lmao
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby air gordon on Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Yeah dude chill out. Too bad youre butt hurt the Celts were eliminated via gentleman's sweep. No need to take it out on the forum
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Kevin wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, Dee. I didn't say that GS created the style that Houston is playing, I meant that GS' heavy use of the 3pt line made the NBA use it more often now too, unlike before with the postup game and the midrange isos. He also has clarified that he didn't hate 3pt plays which I thought he did hence the "hate on the Warriors" remark.

PS: Can we chill with the passive-aggressive comments on this thread? yall gotta chill lmao

That's fine. But we agree that the actual brand of basketball is entirely different, literally night and day different.

And, yes the Warriors made the three point shot more popular, but they didn't completely cripple the mid range game either. Klay Thompson has always operated out of the mid quite a bit, and of course Durant has the last 3 years with GS. Watching GS, you feel like they will pull up from anywhere, INCLUDING mid range, and you can expect that the ball will move quite a bit on most possessions.

With HOU, you can see they are avoiding mid range, and even ball movement in general. Yes, AVOIDING ball movement, because they sit one man at the top of the key in ISO on most possessions.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

air gordon wrote:Yeah dude chill out. Too bad youre butt hurt the Celts were eliminated via gentleman's sweep. No need to take it out on the forum

Yes, because that has something to do with me calling you out on BS numerous times before this series even started. Another gem from you, as expected. That comment sounds like it comes from a teenager, how old are you again? It's time to grow up.

And he wasn't just talking about me, either. You pull the passive aggressive approach all the time, which includes the comment that I called you out on. And my statements about you above are accurate. You are completely useless in basketball discussions most of the time. You clearly have poor self awareness.

Dont dish it out if you cant handle it being given back to you. You are ridiculous.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu May 09, 2019 1:15 pm

You take this way too seriously. Enjoy the have. Cheers mate
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 pm

air gordon wrote:You take this way too seriously. Enjoy the have. Cheers mate

You do, clearly. Nice escape. No self accountability, start shit, make up shit, and run.

Grow up.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Uh oh... I think Durant just ruptured his achilles..

Yikes....

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 pm

It didn't look good, but they're saying it's a calf strain. He won't be back in this one, but apparently it's not the disaster it seemed to be.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 pm

GS goes up 3-2 despite Durant only playing 22 minutes. People forget the record they have without him, Curry and Thompson stepped up.

My guess is that they rest Durant for game 6, and if game 7 happens they bring him back.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 3:13 pm

That was very likely the Rockets' best chance, but the Splash Brothers snatched it away from them. Depending on how bad the strain is, they might still have a chance, but history isn't on their side when it comes to pivotal Game 5s.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Thu May 09, 2019 3:53 pm

I been eagerly waiting, waiting and waiting for CP3 to come up big in heat moments for years but another choke job yet again. The Warriors are just that good, this is why they needed game 1 win to have any chance in this series. Its over now, officially.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Paul has definitely wilted in this series. There was a moment in Game 3 - which the Rockets admittedly won in OT - where he had a wide open three towards the end of regulation and passed out of it at the last minute. Couldn't buy a bucket in Game 5.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 pm

Nick Wright talking about how Steph Curry has historically underachieved in the playoffs is just another case of him trying to bring down Steph in order to prop up LeBron. Steph's numbers in the postseason are very close to his regular season career numbers, and he has had HUGE games in the playoffs over the last 4+ years, and outside of the stats the eye test easily shows that. Not only did they win one without Durant, but it's also been debatable since he arrived in regards to who the most important Warrior is especially considering the Warriors record without Durant and with Curry.

Currys career playoff performance blows away Nick Wrights career "reporting" performance, that's for sure.

Not 100% sure this series is over, though. Looks like Durant may be out 7-10 days, missing both games 6 and 7. This Warriors team is not as deep as years past, look up and down the roster. This is basically 14-15 (players acquired via the draft) without Barnes, Barbosa, Bogut, David Lee, Speights, Ezeli etc. They will need some monster performances out of Klay, Steph and Iggy, and Draymond Green will need to add some more of a scoring punch.

When the team runs it's offense through Steph, they look damn good. It will be interesting.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Nick Wright is acting like a LBJ's bitch, he's a liar... no respect for this kind of insider...

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball