Theory on to why we STILL have not seen a Wizards version of Jordan in 2k

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Theory on to why we STILL have not seen a Wizards version of Jordan in 2k

Postby Thunder Shaq on Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 am

Ever wonder that after all these years of MyTeam, we still have not gotten a Michael Jordan from his time with the Wizards?

I think it is because he has a clause in his contract that prevents an association between Jordan and his time with the Wizards.

He had a bit of a falling out with the Wizards after his return to the playing career. I believe they didn't let him return to his front office position with the organization after his final retirement. He clearly must have some ill will toward the Wizards and does not want to be associated with them even in a 2k game.

We have come close to a Wizards Jordan before with this card in the mobile card game app MyNBA2k15:

https://m.imgur.com/V7LpCVs

That Jordan was later changed to have card art of the Bulls.

In 2k18 MyTeam, we got a Ruby reward Jordan that I believe is the equivalent to what a Wizards Jordan's ratings would be. Note the age, the mid-range, the low athleticism, and low dunk.

https://2kmtcentral.com/18/players/9243/michael-jordan

We also have never gotten a Classic Wizards team despite them having the rights to at least 12 players from those rosters.

2k seems to be doing everything they can to avoid releasing a Wizards rendition of his airness. Every year they seem to release a Ruby tier version of MJ in MyTeam, despite him never being worse than an Amethyst during his time with the Bulls. That Ruby Jordan from 2k18 is so clearly meant to represent his time with the Wizards, but they still make him the Bulls version.

It is truly a shame because I'd love for them to add the 2003 Wizards as a classic team in the game.
Thunder Shaq

Re: Theory on to why we STILL have not seen a Wizards version of Jordan in 2k

Postby Andrew on Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 pm

I think that's a solid theory. MJ has expressed regret over his comeback with the Wizards on a couple of occasions, and as you noted, their parting wasn't on good terms after he was refused a return to his front office role. It makes sense that he'd rather gloss over that stage of his career, and to that end, may have set some terms on his likeness deal with 2K.

As weird as it was and tough to watch at times, I'd actually like to see a Jordan Wizards team in the game. On a related note, I noticed that there's a Rockets Pippen card in MyTEAM this year, despite the fact the 1999 Rockets aren't among the retro teams.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Thunder Shaq on Sun May 05, 2019 1:26 pm

I feel it’s way more than a coincidence that we haven’t seen Wizards Jordan. Jordan has been back in 2k since 2k11 and we’ve seen throwback cards for non-classic team editions of players in MyTeam since 2k15. We may never get an official reason though
Thunder Shaq

Postby Andrew on Sun May 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Probably not, though I think we can assume it's very likely. If it's not that, then maybe it's just the general trend to overlook/downplay those two seasons with the Wizards.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun May 05, 2019 5:02 pm

It was always very hard to have MJ in video games even back in old days.
2K has the licence but never put him on Wizards teams. That's deinitly MJ's will IMO.
sticky-fingers

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu May 09, 2019 12:15 pm

It's kind of weird he would care about something like this, but still probably true.

For all the times I was rewarded that damn Ruby this year, it would've softened the blow if it was at least some Wizards card art imo.
[Hyperize]

Return to NBA 2K19