2019 Playoffs: (3) Portland vs. (6) Oklahoma City

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Who ya got?

Blazers in 4
No votes
Blazers in 5
No votes
Blazers in 6
No votes
Blazers in 7
14%
Thunder in 4
No votes
Thunder in 5
43%
Thunder in 6
14%
Thunder in 7
No votes
OKC blows 3-0 lead after Melo returns to team
14%
Did you guys hear Dirk is retiring?
14%

Total votes : 7

2019 Playoffs: (3) Portland vs. (6) Oklahoma City

Postby Lamrock on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 am

Blazers get the 3 seed after their best season since 2013-14. Despite that, they seem like overwhelming underdogs in this series.

After last year's playoff implosion, and then the devastating injury to Nurkic, it's hard to be too optimistic. It's a shame, as the best teams in the conference all seem to be on the other side of the bracket. There is a clear path to the WCF, but with Enes Kanter starting at Center, the defense won't be able to hold up. The Thunder have been inconsistent all year, but really hit their stride down the stretch, and swept Portland in the season series.

I do think Portland will be able to pick up a win here (you're welcome Jennifer), but that's it. Thunder in 5.
Lamrock

Re: 2019 Playoffs: (3) Portland vs. (6) Oklahoma City

Postby JaoSming on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:43 am

Lillard gets 1
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:03 am

Westbrook to remind Lillard who owns him, again.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Really hoping the Blazers win this one. They're the team I'm rooting for in the west. The Nurkic injury was catastrophic, but Kanter isn't bad as a stand-in. He's not as good, but serviceable enough to possibly win the series. POR in 7.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:24 am

Thunder in 5, with at least three games being really hard-fought. Westbrook vs. Lillard should be a fun match-up indeed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:11 pm

What kind of fake fan picks their favorite team to lose in five games to a 6 seed? Sad!
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:45 pm

One who prefers to be pleasantly surprised, of course.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Lamrock wrote:What kind of fake fan picks their favorite team to lose in five games to a 6 seed? Sad!

SHAME!

I think I was the only one that thought Portland was going to win the series
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Whether or not it turns out to be seven games, looks like you'll have bragging rights here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 am

Game 4 let's go blazers!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

I wish this series go 7 games. It's been a long time since we've seen legitimate hate between two teams.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 pm

While I don't want to completely dismiss Westbrook's three straight seasons of averaging a triple-double because it is quite a feat, I think it goes to show how doing so is somewhat overrated in the grand scheme of things, as are triple-doubles as a stat. In the Playoffs, where the championship is on the line, Westbrook's field goal percentages drop to truly putrid levels. Even in the regular season he doesn't shoot the ball at a high enough percentage for a player as talented and capable of getting to the rim as he is, but for the third straight year, he's shooting under 40% in the Playoffs. His turnovers are high, his defensive contributions aren't that remarkable, and he was a complete non-factor shooting the ball in the second half.

It may have resulted in a feat we never thought we'd see again, and followed it up with a couple of unprecedented feats, but Westbrook's dedication to this style of play and that particular statistical milestone has stunted his growth as a player, and held him back from being a better leader, and a player who can succeed in games that really count. Instead of expanding his offensive repertoire and decision-making to become a more efficient and reliable scorer and playmaker, or a stronger defender, he's worked on the art (so to speak) of getting triple-doubles. As I said, it's quite a feat in its own right, but it's not necessarily a key ingredient to winning; at least when it matters most.

If nothing else, it highlights how the regular season and Playoffs are completely different animals...which is something I should've taken into account when I made my prediction. I suppose I overestimated the impact of Nurkic's absence through the first round, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 am

shadowgrin wrote:I wish this series go 7 games. It's been a long time since we've seen legitimate hate between two teams.

yessir. too bad George playing through a bum shoulder.

looks like lillard is playing with the westbrook style of having the chip on his shoulder. please 7 games

andrew- idk. haven't seen westy going triple double hunting this series.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:22 am

Andrew wrote:While I don't want to completely dismiss Westbrook's three straight seasons of averaging a triple-double because it is quite a feat, I think it goes to show how doing so is somewhat overrated in the grand scheme of things, as are triple-doubles as a stat. In the Playoffs, where the championship is on the line, Westbrook's field goal percentages drop to truly putrid levels. Even in the regular season he doesn't shoot the ball at a high enough percentage for a player as talented and capable of getting to the rim as he is, but for the third straight year, he's shooting under 40% in the Playoffs. His turnovers are high, his defensive contributions aren't that remarkable, and he was a complete non-factor shooting the ball in the second half.

TBH when Westbrook pulls up for 3, it doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart that it'll go in. It's almost welcomed over a George 3 or a high-percentage shot inside.

I hate watching Oklahoma City home games. They have to be the lamest basketball city in the league. Judging by their in-game music choices, their uh relatively lack of audience diversity, my hatred for Billy Donovan and his college days at Florida, their shitty generic created team logo, and the fact that they are responsible for the demise of one of the coolest teams in NBA history it really seems like these were all choices made by some rich white dude named something like Clay who thinks all these choices were hip and cool.

Why do I expect every CJ McCollum shot to go in? This man just hits so many ridiculous contested shots that have no business going in. Dame is also looking like Steph Curry making these super long 3s look easy.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kevin on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Blazers surprised a lot of us (including the media) with their performance this playoffs. Adams is too slow to trap Dame and CJ in the p&r like the Pelicans did so they can't defend for shit. Could be some close games if Russ and PG outscore them but well... that was probably 3 years ago.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Lamrock on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:46 am

[Q] wrote:I hate watching Oklahoma City home games. They have to be the lamest basketball city in the league. Judging by their in-game music choices, their uh relatively lack of audience diversity, my hatred for Billy Donovan and his college days at Florida, their shitty generic created team logo, and the fact that they are responsible for the demise of one of the coolest teams in NBA history it really seems like these were all choices made by some rich white dude named something like Clay who thinks all these choices were hip and cool.

Preach!
Lamrock

Postby air gordon on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:23 am

good call on Adams. he's been ordinary this series. you figured heading into this series he would be a beneficiary of one of the worst defensive players in the league starting @center for portland
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Portland closing out the Thunder tonight. Game 5 is here. Let's go!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:06 pm

DAME TIME

Wave em goodbye :wave:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:23 pm

That Lillard shot was incredible. A great way to sink the not-Sonics.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Damian Lillard is my favorite NBA player ever
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:33 pm

I knew some crazy shit was gonna happen too, especially after that shot on the Rockets... I stood up for the last play and fucking lost it when he hit that
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Are people still confused? Neither PG13 and Westy are top tier talents, they never were. Put them in Lillard's position and they would have never achieved what Lillard's done with the Blazers.

McCollum keeps it up!
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:33 pm

Underrated is too problematic of a word, but I will say that Lillard remains overlooked. I'll raise my hand and admit that I'm still guilty of it. On top of everything else, that was one hell of a shot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 am

NovU wrote:Are people still confused? Neither PG13 and Westy are top tier talents, they never were. Put them in Lillard's position and they would have never achieved what Lillard's done with the Blazers.!
welcome back
Pg13 will be all NBA 1st team. Maybe you underrating him

Lillard. What a great performance. He put that embarrassing series last year to rest
Jump.
air gordon

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball