True to Atlanta || Rise Back Up || NBA 2K17

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Postby wdt92 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Image credit to USA Today

Settings

Game: NBA 2K17
    Console: PC
    Roster: Updated 2K17 Roster
    Season Length: 82 Games
    Playoff Format: Best of 7
    Sliders: Hov's 2K17 Sliders
    Goal: Finish the career of Mike Budenholzer & play every game player locked as the team's best player
Last edited by wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:20 pm

OOC: So, trial #2 of my third attempt to rebuild the Hawks! That sounds confusing. Basically, I have tried this specific story of rebuilding from the 2016-17 Hawks before and previously tried developing a better point before that with the 2014-15 Hawks. This is a completely new file I've been playing on my own and have had so much fun, I had the idea to write again about them. I want to take a few images from my old thread beforehand, but after I'm done I wouldn't mind it being deleted if that works best for this. Thanks, guys! Hope this one is an interesting read!
Last edited by wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm

ATLANTA HAWKS 2016-17 ROSTER

Last edited by wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm

LINK PAGE

STORY FAQ

DRAFT
  • LINK HERE

FREE AGENCY
  • LINK HERE

SUMMER LEAGUE
  • LINK HERE

OPENING NIGHT ROSTERS

NBA SEASON PREVIEW
  • LINK HERE

AROUND THE NBA: LEAGUE NEWS
2016-17 Season
  • LINK HERE

MAJOR REGULAR SEASON GAMES
2016-17 Season
  • LINK HERE

LEAGUE TRANSACTIONS
  • LINK HERE

PLAYOFF PREVIEWS
  • LINK HERE

PLAYOFF HIGHLIGHTS
  • LINK HERE

END OF YEAR RECAPS
  • LINK HERE
Last edited by wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Atlanta Hawks vs. Philadelphia 76ers [5-4]

Postby wdt92 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:36 am

GAME 9

FINAL SCORE
    Philadelphia 76ers 104
    Atlanta Hawks 109

"First off let me say it was a great win for us tonight. We had a great offensive rhythm out the gate, which I believe the guys really responded to the criticisms that were out there in our local media about this team's offensive punch. We have a lot of great weapons that got out on the break tonight following Paul's lead. While the boxscore says only four steals, he was tipping almost every pass that was headed his way. Following the first few tips, our entire team began defensively digging in. We definitely had slip-ups, but at this point in the season, I was really proud of how we bounced back following our back-to-back losses against Cleveland and Chicago. As a whole, we hit a better percentage of our threes tonight, we got about thirty-five percent. Then looking at Paul alone, he had a monster game tonight hitting seventy-one percent of his shots. I think the team is better suited to one another learning a better way to get open looks and not take good shots when great shots are available which shows in us having twenty-eight assists increasing from all of our previous games' average of twenty-three. All in all, I think tonight is a good win for us and shows not only us as staff, our players, but our fans what we are capable of becoming as this team grows this season."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE MENTIONS:
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (36 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 71% FG, 11 FTM)
  • BEN SIMMONS [PHI] (18 points, 11 rebounds, 4 offensive rebounds, 3 turnovers)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
5-4

OOC: I actually don't know yet for sure how I want to write this series. At first, I was thinking of doing the entire thing with a Chick Hearn / Adam West type character (Wesley Adams), and make this write up an interview with Taurean Prince. However, while I may still do that, it required a lot more time than I'm prepared to spend on every write-up. Just coming up with talking points was kind of difficult. So for right now, I'm thinking a base of a postgame, and pregame interviews with who I'm "playing as" (in this case, Mike Budenholzer) with sprinkles of Wesley Adams, TNT, Fox Sports, and ESPN put in for league-wide news. Let me know what you guys think over time, and also if possible throw in questions you have to ask Coach Bud!
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Trial Two || NBA 2K17

Postby wdt92 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 am

NBA ON TNT

"I'll tell you something, Ernie, hearing the news last night about Kawhi Leonard is turrible. Not only for the San Antonio Spurs, who I joke with often about the big ole women they got down there, but also for the entire league. Him going out with that torn ACL last night is going to really harm the entire NBA. I don't think there is anyone in the West with him gone to challenge the Warriors. As of right now, I don't think OKC even with their nine and two record can actually challenge the firepower Golden State has. I know we joke a lot on this show, and we have to talk about the basketball side, but it is a real tragedy that it had to happen to this young man on a personal level, Ernie. But man what an impact these type of injuries have on these athletes in their personal lives. It just is a bad situation all around. We here really wish you the best Kawhi!"
- Charles Barkley

INJURY REPORT:
  • KAWHI LEONARD - Torn left ACL. Out for the season.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm

GAME 10

FINAL SCORE
    Miami Heat 110
    Atlanta Hawks 118

"It truly was an impressive game tonight. I was very impressed with our guys, and how they not only attacked on the offensive end but picked up one another's lapses tonight. Offensively, Paul was down from usual shooting only four of twelve (4-12 FG) from the field. Dennis and Ersan picked up that shooting punch we needed. Ersan really attacked in the half finishing with fifteen on eighty percent shooting from the field. Dennis especially in the second half really picked up the pace and made them begin playing our brand of ball which ultimately cemented the game for us. Dwight was impressive in how he cleaned up the boards and Paul made sure to contribute in the areas he could tonight. I actually on their side was impressed by Chris Bosh with how many minutes he had to play but also the contribution he had. Though we picked up the win tonight, they can really be proud of how good of a player he's become. While they were down, he pushed the offense and scored five for five in the fourth. The guy really has shown a championship pedigree that they can be proud of as an organization. Also looking at the two bigs [Bosh & Whiteside], those guys didn't miss shooting fourteen for fourteen from the free throw line. Looking at the two box scores, I think at the end of the day, we really have grown at sharing the ball with the thirty-three (33) assists we had tonight. As a team, we finished up with very good shooting splits (55% FG, 37% 3PT, 70% FT) and I think we can only continue to grow and get better."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE MENTIONS:
  • CHRIS BOSH [MIA] (29 points, 16 rebounds, 50% FG, 100% FT)
  • DENNIS SCHRODER [ATL] (28 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers, 50% FG, 40% 3-PT)
  • ERSAN ILYASOVA [ATL] (23 points, 6 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 69% FG, 55% 3-PT)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
6-4
wdt92

Postby Adamb34n on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Really enjoying the write-ups and the direction you are taking the story so far! It will be interesting to see if you guys play at a pace to get you into the playoffs in the east.

Also, really weird seeing Bosh playing for Miami, but it is a good sight! That was a monster stat line. I wonder that if he had never his health problems if he could have kept up his production. Bosh is perfectly built for today's league.
Adamb34n

Postby wdt92 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:14 am

Adamb34n wrote:Really enjoying the write-ups and the direction you are taking the story so far! It will be interesting to see if you guys play at a pace to get you into the playoffs in the east.

Also, really weird seeing Bosh playing for Miami, but it is a good sight! That was a monster stat line. I wonder that if he had never his health problems if he could have kept up his production. Bosh is perfectly built for today's league.

He was a beast in the 4th. He was really dominating when they moved him to the 5 and I still had Howard in there. He just kept Dwight along the perimeter then driving past him to either the line or an easy bucket. Then, I tried and bringing help from Paul, as they were keeping their bigs close together. But in typical 2K17 defense, my wings kept trying to rotate to stop Bosh and he passed to an open shooter which moved half my defense until eventually, Bosh was open for a mid-range. He played us like a fiddle. :lol: Also, I completely agree he would have done very well in today's league. His style was really made for it. Only thing I think could have hurt him is having guys like Giannis on him, because I don't know how great Bosh's handles truly were. Even in Toronto, they ran him mostly in closer to the basket half court sets, and in Miami, he was more of a stretch set shooter in the "LeBron system." However, as a secondary or third option, man, Bosh would have been a great impact.

I really appreciate the compliment by the way! It means a lot. I've followed your Unity storyline as well, and rather enjoy it. Your Nets seems to be in a similar boat as this Hawks team as they're pretty consistently sticking around .500 ball.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am

GAME 11

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 80
    Milwaukee Bucks 107

"What can I say? It was one of those nights that their guys got going and had a great game against us. They started on the defensive end, Giannis was everywhere from the get go getting his two blocks and two steals in the first quarter, and that ignited the entire team on that side of the floor. Then when our guys finally started going, Paul hitting the two big threes heading into the second quarter, Jabari really picked up on their side offensively. I mean looking at the box score, Jabari matched Paul almost blow for blow, and then added all of their guys started hitting their shots and our threes started going in and out. You can't win shooting nineteen percent from three, only having twenty-two assists, and having seventeen turnovers. That isn't a formula for any winning basketball, and in sloppy mistakes, we got away from winning basketball. However, despite all of that, our guys showed heart, but the game was decided by the half. That's a statement on how good of a brand of basketball Milwaukee played tonight. All the credit in the world deserves to be handed to those guys from Coach Kidd, down through the roster. There is a reason they're now nine-and-one and are number one in the Eastern Conference."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE MENTIONS:
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (22 points, 9 rebounds, 53% FG, 50% 3PT, 100% FT)
  • JABARI PARKER [MIL] (20 points, 10 rebounds, 53% FG, 50% 3PT, 100% FT)
  • GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO [MIL] (19 points, 18 rebounds, 8 assists, 6 turnovers)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
6-5

OOC: A fun tidbit, Jabari Parker and Paul Millsap had close to the same stat line. Jabari had 1 more defensive rebound, and Paul had 2 more free throws made. Otherwise, they were the same player.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:55 pm

PRACTICE INTERVIEW

"Ersan will definitely be missed facing Charlotte tomorrow, but I think we have a real solid group of guys who will pick up the slack as well as bring new things to the table. And for Ersan, he is just a pro in every sense of the word. So I have no doubt in my mind he will rehab effectively then be back better than ever as soon as he is greenlit. He took that hit last night against Milwaukee, and you can tell it knocked the wind out of him, but I'm just glad our medical staff picked it up so quickly with his ribs being bruised so we can give him the rest he needs to properly recover and not do any major damage to his body."
- Mike Budenholzer

INJURY REPORT:
  • ERSAN ILYASOVA - Bruised Ribs. Out day-to-day.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:32 am

GAME 12

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 88
    Charlotte Hornets 119

"I'm really disappointed in all of our guys tonight, and in myself. I didn't make quick enough subs when we needed them, I didn't give them a proper direction to go out there and execute to the best of their ability, and that is on me. We also really fell into the same pattern we did against Milwaukee, tonight against Charlotte. That doesn't mean to discredit their coaching staff, or their players play tonight because they were both very impressive. However, I am saying tonight we played poorly on the defensive end. We left shooters wide open, we didn't have any urgency to get to cutters going into the paint, and as a result, we let them get fifty-two points in the paint alone. Then on we were on the offensive end, we fell in love with the three ball and didn't attack the paint. I think it is very telling we only got to the line for ten attempts to contrast their twenty-six attempts tonight. As a whole, I think this game just tells how poorly our effort was, and we didn't show them the respect they deserved. With all of that said, I must give the utmost credit and respect to that Hornets team. They went out there and executed very well, and played a great brand of team-first basketball any team in this league can admire."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE MENTIONS:
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (21 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks, 57% FG, 100% FT)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
6-6
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 am

GAME 13

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 99
    New York Knicks 111

"Tonight really was about poor free throw shooting on our end and poor rebounding. First, you have to give Coach Hornacek and those guys the utmost credit for their hustle and drive to the boards and how that team operates. Tonight, they shot fifty-one percent from the field mainly focusing on the paint with their forty-eight points from that area, and they beat us on the boards outrebounding us by nine. Defensively we will have to figure out ways to stop such an aggressive attack inside from Derrick [Rose] and the multiple bigs they run. Which, despite what the critics have said about the two big lineups they run with O'Quinn and Noah for the lack of offensive production, those two guys have been keeping their bench well in the rebounding game with their play alone. Tonight they combined for fifteen rebounds just coming off the bench in sub-twenty-five minutes, and I think that has been a great reason for why that team is now nine-and-four and second in the Eastern Conference. Looking at us tonight, we did everything offensively right. We had twenty-seven assists for the night which is a good respectable number, our bench was in the game with forty-nine points, we shot well enough to stretch the floor with thirty-five percent from three. It was essentially just giving up free points at the line and not being able to attack the break due to lack of rebounding. I think a lot of that would have been different if Dwight didn't foul out in the third, but that is part of the game. Going forward, he will have to find ways to keep battling but stay out of foul trouble. The rest of our bigs did the best they could to make up Dwight's absence. Paul, in particular, did an excellent job leading tonight making up the slack grabbing thirteen big rebounds. Ersan, in his return game, did such a great job showcasing why we missed his production tonight shooting it great. Despite another big loss, I think we are moving in the right direction from the last few games, it is just going to be a grind getting back into the right winning habits."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE PERFORMANCES:
  • DERRICK ROSE [NYK] (24 points, 12 assists, 5 turnovers, 11 FTA)
  • ERSAN ILYASOVA [ATL] (22 points, 71% FG, 100% 3PT)
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (22 points, 13 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 58% FG, 12 FTA)
  • CARMELO ANTHONY [NYK] (11 rebounds)
  • DENNIS SCHRODER [ATL] (3 steals, 100% FT)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
6-7
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 am

ESPN RADIO

"Well, I have to say on the report coming out in Atlanta, I very much respect Wesley Adams as a reporter, so I do think the man is on the nose. Now I know it is just a quick tweet and there is a slightly longer analysis from Mr. Adams on his website. However, there is no doubt something must be done down there because right now the Hawks are playing mediocre basketball. There is no other way to put it. The team is struggling just to make five hundred, and for the standards of excellence that the organization has held itself accountable to over the timeframe of Coach Bud's tenure, that just isn't acceptable! So I don't doubt the rumor or report that was placed out there by Wesley Adams and those boys. I mean the man is a bit silly at times, but if anyone knows anything about that organization, it is him. So, since we're on the topic of Atlanta, let me discuss why I think this reported move by Coach Budenholzer is the correct assertion and move for that team. Right now, Dwight Howard has struggled to even get his typical ten plus rebounds a night, offensively Dwight Howard, as much as I like him, has been struggling through his career to be consistent. Might I add, Paul Millsap has offensively an advantage over most bigs that will be guarding him at that position, and defensively he has been a defensive player of the year candidate this year. Needless to say, he should be an All-Star for the East right now if the game happens. Right now Millsap and Dwight are rebounding close to the same level, and getting smaller to close the game should pick up the offense for that team. There is really nothing else that can be said about the Hawks right now! They have just been mediocre to a below-average team this year."
- Stephen A. Smith

ACTUAL TWEET:
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 am

GAME 14

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 95
    New Orleans Pelicans 88

"To start, the same respect as always goes out to their coaching staff and players within the team. Those guys were dominant, and their gameplan to get Anthony Davis different touches from around the paint through the mid-range to even the nice pick and pop for the open three that didn't fall was impressive. We played a tough game, and I think this was the comeback game we needed. Dwight was dominant from the jump, and he really took to the heart the criticism the media has had against him as of late. All night, you can tell he wanted the boards and he grabbed as many as I think anyone reasonably could expect from him. I believe it was previously reported, but we definitely shifted our end of game lineups, and it ended up helping all parties we hoped it would. Taurean, who is such a talented and gifted young rookie coming in, really improved his play by spending much more time playing a small ball position. He looked more comfortable and it helped us get two open threes that hit fifty percent of. Further, it obviously helped Dwight, and spacing the floor for him and Paul did wonders for both of their fourth quarter numbers. Dwight kept us in the game with boards after boards, and Paul hit three big shots in the fourth that cemented the lead for us. Looking at the box, I think it is clear our defense and together play really put us over the top tonight. We didn't particularly shoot well, but we had a lot of passes to great looks and I think that will only improve going into the next game."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE PERFORMANCES:
  • ANTHONY DAVIS [NOP] (41 minutes, 31 points, 15 rebounds, 4 offensive rebounds, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers, 54% FG [15-28], 0% 3PT [0-2], 50% FT [1-2])
  • DEMARCUS COUSINS [NOP] (29 minutes [fouled out], 21 points, 13 rebounds, 2 offensive rebounds 5 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 1 turnover, 50% FG [8-16], 33% 3PT [1-3], 67% FT [4-6])
  • DWIGHT HOWARD [ATL] (33 minutes, 21 points, 19 rebounds, 10 offensive rebounds, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers, 71% FG [10-14], 25% FT [1-4])
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (33 minutes, 19 points, 10 rebounds, 1 offensive rebound, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 1 turnover, 46% FG [6-13], 0% 3PT [0-3], 100% FT [7-7])

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
7-7
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm

GAME 15

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 108
    Indiana Pacers 117

"Tonight was one of those games where the box score doesn't actually tell the story. We lost by nine, but the truth is both teams were battling until the last possession. We had a great offensive night tonight shooting right at fifty percent from the field and thirty-eight percent from three. We spaced the floor well I felt, and our bigs did their jobs tremendously. I think ultimately the credit has to be given to that Pacers team for the job they did tonight. Paul George was a distraction often on offense, and from an observational standpoint, you must assume that is by design from Coach McMillan. From that their offense was smooth running through Paul George as a point-forward. They forced us into way too many turnovers. Tonight we had twenty, and that led to twenty easy fast break points for them. There were too many messy mistakes on our end, but we are showing consistency in a lot of ways and improving night-to-night. If we can stay battling and competitive as the season moves on, I have a lot of faith in this team."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE PERFORMANCES:
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (33 minutes, 32 points, 11 rebounds, 5 offensive rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers, 65% FG [11-17], 50% 3PT [2-4], 89% FT [8-9])
  • DWIGHT HOWARD [ATL] (35 minutes, 23 points, 11 rebounds, 3 offensive rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers, 64% FG [9-14], 0% 3PT [0-1], 42% FT [5-12])
  • PAUL GEORGE [IND] (34 minutes, 21 points, 3 rebounds, 1 offensive rebound, 10 assists, 4 steals, 3 turnovers, 50% FG [7-14], 43% 3PT [3-7], 100% FT [4-4])
  • JEFF TEAGUE [IND] (33 minutes, 21 points, 4 rebounds, 1 offensive rebound, 7 assists, 3 steals, 47% FG [9-19], 50% 3PT [3-6])
  • AL JEFFERSON [IND] (25 minutes, 14 points, 14 rebounds, 4 offensive rebounds, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 47% FG [7-15], 0% 3PT [0-1])
  • MYLES TURNER [IND] (28 minutes, 15 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 4 turnovers, 50% FG [6-12], 20% 3PT [1-5], 100% FT [2-2])
  • DENNIS SCHRODER [ATL] (28 minutes, 11 points, 2 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals, 5 turnovers, 36% FG [4-11], 50% 3PT [3-6])
  • TIM HARDAWAY JR. [ATL] (26 minutes, 17 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, 54% FG [7-13], 60% 3PT [3-5], 0% FT [0-1])

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
7-8
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 pm

GAME 16

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 101
    Utah Jazz 96

"First, let me congratulate the excellent defense that Coach Snyder has those guys playing. When you look at the stats, we shouldn't have won tonight. They held us at forty percent shooting, they ran us off the three-point line, and they contested just about every shot we threw up. I thought Rudy Gobert, in particular, was very impressive on that end. His reach is just so extraordinary that he gets to the ball for so many blocks. Tonight though for us, was just making sure we played just as gritty as those guys do. We got into the passing lanes, we made sure to try and strip the ball when cutters come across with quick passes. Paul did an excellent job tonight picking off a lot of passes, but his form of pushing the ball towards our side so we can get a fast break was crucial for our win tonight. I thought Dwight did an excellent job grabbing boards to try and stop Gobert's dominance. I think Hardaway's seven-for-seven at the free throw line in the second half was just as huge for us as we just struggled to score. It was a great win for us to get us back to five-hundred and remaining competitive in the Conference."
- Mike Budenholzer

NOTABLE PERFORMANCES:
  • GORDON HAYWARD [UTA] (32 minutes, 24 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steal, 4 turnovers, 50% FG [10-20], 17% 3PT [1-6], 75% FT [3-4], 2 fouls)
  • RUDY GOBERT [UTA] (30 minutes, 11 points, 16 rebounds, 4 offensive rebounds, 1 steal, 6 blocks, 1 turnover, 83% FG [5-6], 100% 3PT [1-1], 3 fouls)
  • DWIGHT HOWARD [ATL] (33 minutes, 18 points, 14 rebounds, 6 offensive rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 57% FG [8-14], 100% FT [2-2], 3 fouls)
  • PAUL MILLSAP [ATL] (32 minutes, 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 8 steals, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers, 54% FG [7-13], 0% 3PT [0-1], 83% FT [5-6], 3 fouls)

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
8-8
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:59 am

THE HERD

"Well I wouldn't sleep on Atlanta, that's for sure. I don't think they're yet good enough to beat the Cavaliers in a Playoff series, but in the East that is the only team right now, I think Atlanta would definitely lose to. All of the other teams are a wash for them. After their win last night against the Warriors, I think the NBA just got put on notice how dangerous that team can be. They let Curry score his forty-nine, but Millsap had thirty-two, Hardaway and Dwight had over twenty, and they held both Thompson and Green to below ten points each. I think for this NBA, this Hawks team will be a bad matchup for most teams. For one, they're well coached, two they're extremely versatile. You saw last night that the team could put rookie Taurean Prince on Draymond Green to match the offensive push and floor spacing, and they rotated Dwight in for size switching him in for Millsap when needed. I just think they will just be scary and as they have won three in a row, it seems like they're starting to get their footing after a rough start to the season. Now one of those teams was the Lakers, so it could be a bad read on that regard, but a win against the Warriors is obviously great, and a win against the Jazz really isn't shabby. Also, the rumors are the team is getting even deeper. They have been working out guards to try and get another player into the mix. As I said, I wouldn't sleep on that team."
- Chris Broussard

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
10-8

OUT OF CHARACTER:
So I am thinking of signing a point guard to help with that position in our future. Jose Calderon right now is our backup, and frankly, I don't like Malcolm Delaney for that position of being the 3rd string. I see Delaney more of a pure 2 than a point. To make the roster spot, I am going to waive F Ryan Kelly. The deal will be only for 1 year, and basically will be a place holder like what Calderon is right now. Let me know what you guys think! So, because of that, here are names I'm considering for the role:
  • Nate Robinson: He is fast, offensively is decent, but isn't a great passer. Defensively he's also liability.
  • Pierre Jackson: He is almost as fast as Robinson. He is 25-years-old. He is better offensively scoring than Robinson and a better passer. Worse defensively than even Robinson.
  • Greivis Vasquez: He is taller than both Robinson and Jackson. He is a better passer than both and offensively is just as good as Robinson at scoring at this point. Defensively he is better than both, but overall he is slower than both.
wdt92

Postby Adamb34n on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:48 am

I think it all depends on what you really value off the bench and what fits most with your team. Nate could be an interesting spark plug, especially given that this is for a third string guard. He's not going to be a good facilitator though, like Vasquez. Jackson is younger and doesn't really offer a particular strong skill set I feel like in one area, but he could bring a little youth when Calderon doesn't have it on particular nights. I would probably go with Vasquez, but Nate is enticing because he can score in bunches.
Adamb34n

Postby wdt92 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am

Adamb34n wrote:I think it all depends on what you really value off the bench and what fits most with your team. Nate could be an interesting spark plug, especially given that this is for a third string guard. He's not going to be a good facilitator though, like Vasquez. Jackson is younger and doesn't really offer a particular strong skill set I feel like in one area, but he could bring a little youth when Calderon doesn't have it on particular nights. I would probably go with Vasquez, but Nate is enticing because he can score in bunches.

These are exactly my thoughts. Though in this game, Jackson has actually the strongest skill set in regards to scoring the ball. He's the only one with above a 73 three ball, and his driving skills are just as good as Nate's. Despite Nate's name was made doing that, age has just reduced Robinson a lot. However, I believe Nate would be the most popular, so I believe that influences the decision in the same way you're clarifying. I also am very much leaning with Vasquez because of his playmaking, height, and defense, as you mentioned. However, for the very same reasons you mention to go with Nate, I think there's an argument for all three guys.

I appreciate your input! :)
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 am

POST GAME

FINAL SCORE
    Atlanta Hawks 111
    Phoenix Suns 98

"First, despite the deficit, credit must be given to Phoenix. Those guys could have laid over and died after the third, but they fought and clawed and tried to get back in the game in the fourth. We have a lot of respect for them and their coaching staff. They had a lot of open looks that didn't fall for them, and sometimes that just tells a story for the team. Phoenix, however, has always been a very class organization from my past with them in San Antonio, and they will bounce back from this loss. Coach Watson has done a great job with what he was given. For us, secondly, I think we did an excellent job tonight on both sides of the floor. We had seven guys in double-digit scoring, shot well from the floor with fifty percent, and thirty-five from three. We also did all of that on thirty-one assists. I think that offensively this is the brand of basketball we like to play, a very team-oriented game, that has multiple facets that you have to defend. All the guys stood out to me on that end, but Dennis really needs to be praised for leading us as our point. He did an excellent job tonight and has really grown and learned what we need for him, and has done a great job in the last few games in picking up when to go and when to wait. On the defensive end, all the guys pitched in for thirteen steals. Dennis had four of them, Dwight was huge for us in steals in the paint, having all four of his in the first half. Then protecting the rim, both Paul and Dwight did an excellent job for us. Paul had one block but held his matchups to thirty-five percent shooting. Dwight had a great three blocks, which we expect from him, and did a great job making Tyson [Chandler] and Alex [Len] have tough nights early on. It was just a great win for us."
- Mike Budenholzer

ATLANTA HAWKS RECORD:
11-8
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Wed May 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Hey guys, just as a heads up, I am going to have to postpone this story for a while, possibly indefinitely. Other things have come up, and I just won't have time to play the game in the foreseeable future. I didn't want to ghost the story, cause I was having fun, and I had views on it. While there weren't a lot of posts, people were reading it at least, and that is unbelievably cool to me. Actually, my whole reason for doing it was just to heighten my enjoyment of the game, so the whole thing has been a plus! So, as an apology & thank you, I do want to help out the community and post up the few stories I notice still active and all deserve followings if not currently. That way, for the short period this topic is top of the list it will benefit everyone else. Sorry again, for the short ending, but maybe I'll be able to come back and give it a good build down the road. Who knows. Just so you guys know, I'm just posting these links in order of posts, and I'm only posting the last few weeks activity. No favoritism meant by this! I think they're all deserving to be followed and have been great!

• Anything is Possible - A My Career story that just started! Looks like an awesome intro should check it out while it is still starting.
  • OKC Part III - The guy is just so consistent and great! His Suns story was amazing, and this one has been as well. Unfortunately, his computer has been down, but when he gets back just worth following.
  • Brooklyn Nets | Unity - This dude has done an excellent job writing his story! He does a really cool writing style of writing like NBA.com, and I think they're awesome!
  • 1995-96 Season - He's been doing this for a long, long time. He puts a lot of effort into his graphics, and you can tell he enjoys the games because he plays so many through the season. He lately has been adopting a more column style, that has been great also!
  • NBA Live 06 | Washington Wizards | The Silver Bullet - I don't mean this as an insult, rather extremely complementary: but this story has been really funny in a lot of parts just due to Live 06's shenanigans. He is a great writer also like these other people. He has done an excellent job making a team feel with his posts previously. I think he's had difficulty staying consistent with his child growing up, but when he posts the stuff is just great!

Again, I don't mean any favoritism, I just want to give something by me not being able to finish this like I wanted to and taking your guys time with this last post. At least, again, last for right now. Potentially I may be able to finish sometime. Thanks, everyone for reading, again, I'm sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck with the stories and games! :)
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:21 am

Hey guys, so I have been able to get more time from my personal life to come back to this story! However, I think from uninstalling 2K (I have the Steam version and I needed the space) and reinstalling it, I lost all of my save data and even my backup save data? They are both there from name-sake, but I guess cause I played with Steam offline, the save wasn't up to date in the cloud? I thought it pulled from my hard drive, but I guess not? I'm very early in the season about to face the Kings (October 31st game) at 1-1 and from reading this I definitely should have been around Game 20. :x

So, I am not going to drop this story, as the Hawks are still my favorite team, and I like this era in Hawks' recent history. Coach Bud is definitely my favorite coach in the league, and this gave him a good median point where we can pick any direction and go with that. However, I am going to make a lot of changes to this story. Reading this back, I like the Bud interviews and using media outlets, but the rest is blah. So, I kind of want to restart the narrative since I have to play so many games again. Actually, this is the third time if you consider the first Hawks' franchise I did. :lol:

This goes to any readers out there though, I will be starting at Game 1 and going through from there. I'm restarting just because I want to have a clearer direction of where this story & team should go, which leads to my next point.

With all of this said, I do have a question for anyone reading. Looking at our roster (listed below), what direction would you like to see the Hawks move in? We could try and run this team as is, and see if we can finally conquer the Cavaliers & Raptors for best in the Eastern Conference, hoping Dwight comes out improving the roster. One change will vary on this decision, as I am going to reverse the Kyle Korver trade. We can also go in the opposite direction, and begin the rebuild now. One idea I had, is to trade Ersan Ilyasova for rookie Pascal Siakam while having Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard on the trade block to trade closer to the deadline while our young guys develop under them. Now, this year, we definitely know what Siakam becomes. However, at this point in time, Siakam was a very low rated Rookie who was drafted 27th overall (and announcers thought it was a reach). The Raptors would be looking to buy depth for their roster. They have Ibaka starting, and their next best PF would be Patrick Patterson. I think Ilyasova would be an upgrade at that point. Before pulling the trigger though, I want to hear at least some feedback on what you guys would like to read here. If you guys think running the team would be more interesting and would be more realistic, we'll do that. If you want to see the rebuild, and see that more realistic, we will run that instead.

Roster:
    [PG] Dennis Schroder - 23 Yrs, 79 OVR
    [PG] Jose Calderon - 35 Yrs, 68 OVR
    [PG] Malcolm Delaney - 27 Yrs, 67 OVR
    [SG] Tim Hardaway, Jr. - 24 Yrs, 78 OVR
    [SG] Kyle Korver - 35 Yrs, 72 OVR* (We will have Korver only if we run it to try and win now)
    [SF] Thabo Sefolosha - 32 Yrs, 75 OVR
    [SF] Kent Bazemore - 27 Yrs, 75 OVR
    [SF] Taurean Prince - 22 Yrs, 74 OVR
    [SF] Mike Dunleavy - 36 Yrs, 67 OVR* (We will have Dunleavy only if we go for the rebuild)
    [SF] DeAndre' Bembry - 22 Yrs, 67 OVR
    [PF] Paul Millsap - 31 Yrs, 87 OVR
    [PF] Ersan Ilyasova - 29 Yrs, 75 OVR
    [PF] Kris Humphries - 31 Yrs, 70 OVR
    [PF] Ryan Kelly - 25 Yrs, 65 OVR
    [C] Dwight Howard - 30 Yrs, 88 OVR
    [C] Mike Muscala - 25 Yrs, 70 OVR

EDIT: Sorry guys, I forgot the contract years and money in my initial post! Kyle Korver will be making $5.24M with no options for 1 year.
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Back Up || NBA 2K17

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Ah, that's brutal. I lost my NBA 2K17 MyCAREER save on PS4 under similar circumstances. Like I said in this week's Monday Tip-Off, the online components are getting in the way of retro gaming and dusting off old saves.

Looking at your squad, I feel they could be a really good underdog/Cinderella story. Teams in real life can play better than the sum of their parts, and that's the case on the virtual hardwood as well, only with a much higher ceiling. I think a trade or two could set up a good What If/What Might Have Been scenario though, so if you're not feeling the roster as is, I'd say go for it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Back Up || NBA 2K17

Postby wdt92 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Andrew wrote:Ah, that's brutal. I lost my NBA 2K17 MyCAREER save on PS4 under similar circumstances. Like I said in this week's Monday Tip-Off, the online components are getting in the way of retro gaming and dusting off old saves.

Looking at your squad, I feel they could be a really good underdog/Cinderella story. Teams in real life can play better than the sum of their parts, and that's the case on the virtual hardwood as well, only with a much higher ceiling. I think a trade or two could set up a good What If/What Might Have Been scenario though, so if you're not feeling the roster as is, I'd say go for it.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be sure to check out that Tip-Off as soon as I can because it definitely seems to be a bigger issue that needs a solution for us going back. In particular, after they shut the server down, the issue seems to be at the worst. That seems to be, at least in my experience, the crux of what has deleted a few of my saves now. I don't mean to make it a complain post though, as I definitely am happy to be playing again, but it is just perplexing with the loss of data. :?

Regardless, onto the point, that is a really interesting perspective regarding the team! I can really see where you're coming from as they definitely could revitalize the 2014-15 Hawks' magic and be a gritty team shocking the league akin to the recent Clippers or Grizzlies of the past. It's definitely a way I'm open to. To be frank, I really don't mind either way which direction we go. I just think we need to have one direction that is stable. For Dwight to sign, it makes sense to run the squad, however, we also could spin this be an "under-the-table" deal so that Dwight would be okay with mentoring the young guys for a minor ownership role later. Both ways work for me, though I'm not sure long term if I'd want Dwight to stay. So I may back off that minor ownership angle, even if we do start rebuilding now. :lol:
wdt92

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood