Playing defense

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Playing defense

Postby MrArni on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:32 am

It's kinda difficult for me to play defense. What settings/strategy or smth you use? Do you guard only one player or everytime switch to player who is with the ball?
MrArni

Re: Playing defense

Postby Leander on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 am

There are many tutorials on Youtube how to play defense in NBA 2k19. I am having problems too.
Some tips:

1) Use defensive stance (LT)...use LT and RT just like in a racing game to brake and accelerate and guard your player.
2) Standing in front of your player shooting does not do anything. Raising your hands is not effective either. In order to contest a shot you need to push your right stick up and release it! You can also edit sliders and raise the slider "user -> contest shot" to 100.
3) While guarding the PG with your PG activate icon switching...so if the other team passes to the center for example you can switch to your center quickly.
4) Disable ACE. Then change defensive settings to:

offball: tight
onball: moderate
baseline
go over
soft hedge
go over
soft hedge
go under

recommended by Popboy. Check out his video for the entire list of settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPufsAd97V0

Check out his other videos too!
Leander

Postby MrArni on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks! I will try. The only problem is that I use keyboard. And what do you mean "Disable ACE"?
MrArni

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 pm

MrArni wrote:Thanks! I will try. The only problem is that I use keyboard. And what do you mean "Disable ACE"?

ACE = Adaptive Coaching Engine. Turn it off, trust me. With it on, shooters get left wide open when they shouldn't. By disabling ACE, you have more control over the defense, and can double team or do other things as you please, as opposed to the AI trying to do things for you.

And, get a cheap controller, even if it's an xbox 360 wired one. Your experience will be MUCH better. It's worth the $20 or so.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby MrArni on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 am

Dee4Three wrote:And, get a cheap controller, even if it's an xbox 360 wired one. Your experience will be MUCH better. It's worth the $20 or so.

I don't know why but I don't feel any pleasure playing with controller. It's uncomfortable for me :)
MrArni

Postby Leander on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:48 am

And don't forget the game does strange things very often. Quarter 1: behind by 5, quarter 2: in front by 3, quarter 3: behind by 5...quarter 4: all of a sudden the CPU plays like being stung by a bee, run and guns...shoots 70% from the field and wins by 20...once again! :)
Leander

Return to NBA 2K19