Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 am

Australian accents on American TV shows always sound weird, even to me. It's an odd juxtaposition and they really stand out. I think it's also because they kind of put on a voice as part of their "mean girls" characters. When they're talking normally, they sound a bit different (and pretty much like people where I'm from, since they're from Sydney and Newcastle is only two hours north).

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 am

I like the Iiconics, I thought their comedy mean girls gimmick could translate to a face run without changing their characters. And definitely agree that they're the only actual tag teams within the division.

I'm curious too on why they put both women's titles on the line, are they going to get rid of the split in the women's division? I read somewhere that part of the reason they pulled the title from Asuka was that the card is filled (considering they're giving a full segment to Elias and Alexa Bliss).
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am

I don't think the IIconics are bad workers or talents or even characters, but for me they're just missing something. I feel the same way about The Revival. I don't see what those who really hype them up see. Maybe they're a slight tweak away from really taking off, but they haven't really impressed since their promotion from NXT, IMO. Then again, I've missed a bunch of recent RAW and SDL's (as others have mentioned, outside of Kofi, I'm invested in nothing, and am more annoyed with how they've handled what should've been an awesome Women's Title story line so unbearably poor), so maybe I've missed some good stuff.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:24 am

The IIconics have kind of become glorified jobbers for most of their first year on the main roster, so it's hard to take them seriously at times. Maybe that's the problem? If you can't back up your words as an antagonist, or are otherwise treated like an afterthought, it's hard to get people to care. Bray Wyatt is another good example, despite his occasional pushes and brief WWE Championship reign.

I expect they'll end up separating the women's belts again, hence the billing as "winner takes all" rather than specifically "unification". Money in the Bank will be a convenient way of doing that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Well to be fair, The Revival was spectacular in NXT. The only good thing happened to them in the main roster is on the day they debut against the New Day with that massive pop. They're champions now, but somehow every time they defend the belts and win it, the other team beat them up to end the segment.

They also could've easily booked The Revival and The Usos in a champion vs champion non-title match for Wrestlemania, that could've been something special.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm

It's pretty much a given that the only reason The Revival have the belts is because they asked for their release to go to AEW. Talented but underutilised workers giving their notice or asking out tends to get Vince's attention, as a couple of stories in Bret Hart's book demonstrate. It's a big gesture to placate them and make them want to stay, but it doesn't erase months of them being wasted and not properly built on the main roster.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm

I like the Iconics. They've carved themselves a nice niche on the main card and haven't completely gotten buried like other NXT call-ups.

I've never liked the Revival. I pretty much skip all their matches on NXT and raw. I dunno, they just seem like a fairly generic tag team.

And the writing is so damn predictable it hurts. I called the double champ thing right when Asuka dropped the title. That's actually the trendy thing in UFC right now so they're kinda piggybacking off that.

Predictions?
Triple Threat Winner Take All Raw & Smackdown Women's Title Match
Glad to see Becky finally get her due after a really shitty build up since SummerSlam. As the double champ she'll probably show up on both shows until the shake up.

WWE Universal Title Match
Seth Rollins. This was a virtual guarantee before Roman came back, but now it's not that simple.

WWE Title Match
Daniel Bryan. Don't really see Kofi winning this despite the fan support.

WWE United States Title Match
Samoa Joe

WWE Intercontinental Title Match
"The Demon" Finn Balor. It's about time they brought it back and it's about time they treated Finn like a star.

WWE Cruiserweight Title Match
Buddy Murphy

WWE Women's Fatal Four Way Tag Team Title Match
Sasha Banks & Bayley

WWE Smackdown Tag Team Title Match
The Usos

No Holds Barred Match
Triple H's career is also on the line, so if there was any microscopic chance that Batista would win, this is a virtual guarantee that HHH goes over.

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Miz

Kurt Angle's Farewell Match
Angle in a rare win for a retirement match

Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre
Roman, of course.

AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton
It is a toss up but I'll say AJ since he lost on SD

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
Braun Strowman after beating up the SNL guys

Women's Battle Royal
Asuka to make up for the title loss.

If the Revival make it on the show, or on raw the next night they drop the titles to someone who's probably been deserving of it.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 am

Winner Take All -- Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Becky Lynch: Becky Lynch

I mean, it has to be, at this point. If they go in any other direction, it's a disappointing end to an angle that needs a happy ending after it got so contrived.

Universal Championship -- Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Seth Rollins: Seth Rollins

I could see them keeping the belt on Lesnar. I hate to say it, but I could see it. Have him keep the belt until SummerSlam, then have Reigns take it off him (again). That would be a huge mistake, however. The belt has been ruined almost beyond repair, but getting it back on TV on a full-time talent will give it a reprieve. Surely...surely...Seth Rollins wins here.

WWE Championship -- Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Kofi Kingston: Daniel Bryan

I really want to be wrong, and I think there's an outside chance Kofi wins, but it would be surprising. I think it'll be a bit longer before that eco-friendly belt of Bryan's goes into storage. Again though, I really want to be wrong.

Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre: Roman Reigns

I could actually see them having McIntyre go over to continue building him up as a ruthless heel, but I think it's far more likely Reigns wins.

AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton: A.J. Styles

I'm going with Styles, but the only thing that has me a bit unsure is the fact that I've got a lot of faces going over, and having Orton win would even things up for the heels.

Triple H vs. Batista (No Holds Barred; Triple H's career on the line): Triple H

So, I guess HHH is on his "I'm beating everyone I haven't beaten before I hang it up" tour? Unless he actually is hanging it up now, the retirement stipulation does seem to point to an obvious outcome. Kind of a waste of Batista, but HHH gets a spot on the card and a victory, so yay for him.

Intercontinental Championship -- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Finn Balor: Finn Balor.

Given it's going to be Demon Balor, a win seems a foregone conclusion...which is as good a time as any for WWE to subvert expectations and have him lose. I think they want to protect the Demon character though, so that means he's getting the belt back.

United States Championship -- Samoa Joe (c) vs. Rey Mysterio: Samoa Joe

Rey can still go, but Joe's going to be around for longer, and he's only recently won the belt. Again, the ratio of heel wins to face wins kind of demands that Joe goes over, too.

Women's Tag Team Championship -- Sasha Banks & Bayley (c) vs. Beth Phoenix & Natalya vs. Nia Jax & Tamina Snuka vs. The IIconics: Sasha Banks & Bayley

I want it to be The IIconics, and it would be a surprise (not to mention another heel victory). Instead, it's going to be the face who should be a heel and her hug-loving bestie who's trying to be badass but it just doesn't fit the character. If it's not Sasha and Bayley retaining, then Beth and Natalya are getting the victory for the sentimental pop, with Uncle Bret coming down to congratulate them.

The Miz vs. Shane McMahon (Falls Count Anywhere): The Miz

I wouldn't put it past Vince to have Shane go over - he wanted him to go over Undertaker a few years back, after all - but it has to be about The Miz getting revenge and moving on to something new, while Shane goes back to an authority role/backstage duties.

Kurt Angle vs. Baron Corbin (Farewell Match): Kurt Angle

Yeah, the tradition is to put someone over on your way out, and maybe that happens, but more likely Angle goes out on top. Corbin gets taken off TV and has a makeover/reboot on his character. It's sorely needed, and this would be a good excuse.

SmackDown Tag Team Championship -- The Usos (c) vs. Ricochet & Aleister Black vs. The Bar vs. Rusev & Shinsuke Nakamura: The Bar

For no reason except the usual hot potato with the belts, and they're a heel team.

Cruiserweight Championship -- Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Tony Nese (Kickoff Show): Buddy Murphy

I don't follow 205 Live closely enough, so I'm just going to pick the Aussie.

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal: Braun Strowman

...and nothing will come of it, as usual. They really blew their chance with Strowman, just so that Lesnar could keep the belt off TV.

Women's Battle Royal: Asuka

...and it still won't make up for booking her like an afterthought during her title run, a clean win over Becky aside.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:30 am

Time for a long post!

NXT TAKEOVER: NEW YORK
========================

NXT Tag Team Championship -- War Raiders (c) vs Aleister Black & Ricochet: War Raiders
I think this would be the send-off for both Black and Ricochet before they formally be on either Raw and Smackdown separately. I'm also predicting both guys being buried or repackaged; Aleister Black will be The Miz's new lackey when he turns heel again -- named A-Lister Black, and Ricochet will be repackaged as an Irishman named Rick O'Shea.

NXT UK Championship -- Pete Dunne (c) vs WALTER: WALTER
I think it's time for Dunne to drop the title. And please let this be a stiff fest. RIP Dunne's chest.

NXT North American Championship -- Velveteen Dream (c) vs Matt Riddle: Velveteen Dream
I couldn't stand Matt Riddle and I'd like Dream to continue on as NA champion before he moves up to the NXT main event.

Fatal 4-Way NXT Women's Championship -- Shayna Baszler (c) vs Io Shirai vs Bianca Belair vs Kairi Sane: Io Shirai
I'm not really sure, but none of the challengers can cut a good promo. But I would like an Io vs Kairi feud in the future.

2-out-ot-3 Falls NXT Championship Match -- Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole: Adam Cole
It's really a shame what happened to Ciampa as he's having the run of his career and this would have been the ending of his years-long storyline with Gargano. This would be a great match, and I would really like to see Johnny win but I think Gargano's appeal lies more when he's chasing for the championship.

WWE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF WRESTLEMANIA, THE BIGGEST LIVE EVENT IN ENTERTAINMENT
========================
It's been reported that both Battle Royal matches are placed on the pre-show, which is good if true. Hopefully, they move up the Cruiserweight title match on the main show.

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal: Picking between Braun Strowman or Kevin Owens
Then again, this match doesn't really mean anything aside from putting everyone not involved in any match or storyline to Wrestlemania.

Judy Bagwell on a Forklift Battle Royal: Asuka
Just to give her a "Wrestlemania moment", but I'd take Asuka vs Mandy Rose vs Sonya Deville over this one for Asuka's booking.

WWE Cruiserweight Championship -- Buddy Murphy (c) vs Tony Nese: Buddy Murphy
Please let this be on the main card. I'm also picking Murphy as he's been pretty good on 205 Live.

Smackdown Tag Team Championship -- The Usos (c) vs The Bar vs A-Lister Black & Rick O'Shea vs Rusev & Shinsuke Nakamura: Rusev and Nakamura
I don't mind The Usos winning either, but this match is hastily booked with no story at all. I won't be surprised if this gets relegated to the pre-show, too.

Kurt Angle vs Baron Corbin: Kurt Angle
Anyone calling a last-minute change with Corbin being replaced by Cena? And I also agree with Andrew that Corbin needs a character change after this match if it does push through because it doesn't make sense for him to still be in his "constable" attire despite not being involved with the authority.

Falls Count Anywhere -- The Miz vs Shane McMahon: The Miz
The stipulation calls for the Best in the World trophy be used as a weapon, and an excuse for Shane to jump from something high above ground.

WWE Women's Tag Team Championship -- Boss N' Hug Connection (c) vs Divas of Doom vs The Iiconics vs Nia Jax & Tamina: The Iiconics
Not sure how to call this because this is Beth Phoenix's comeback match (or was it a Raw this past week?), but I'm giving this to The Iiconics.

United States Championship -- Samoa Joe (c) vs Rey Mysterio: Samoa Joe
I think Rey's son Dominique would be involved in some way. But it's reported that Rey sustained an injury after Smackdown yesterday.

Intercontinental Championship -- Bobby Lashley (c) vs Finn Balor: Finn Balor
Unless they want the shock value and have Finn lose in demon attire, Lashley would go over. Balor only lost once while in "demon form", and that's in a Takeover from 2015 vs Samoa Joe. Balor would win, although it makes you wonder why he didn't dress up vs Brock if his winning chances are high when he's the demon.

No Holds Barred Match, Triple H's career on the line -- Triple H vs Batista: Triple H
Got nothing to say, but this would be my bathroom break match.

AJ Styles vs Randy Orton: Randy Orton
...with an RKO from a Phenomenal Forearm or a springboard 450.

Roman Reigns vs Drew McIntyre: Drew McIntyre
Please make Drew a main eventer.

WWE Championship -- Daniel Bryan (c) vs Kofi Kingston: Daniel Bryan
I would really, really like Kofi to go over but I think there would be shenanigans and Bryan would still win. I think if this match goes on first somehow, Kofi would win. If this match goes on later in the show, I think Woods and Big E would turn on Kofi (and for the shock value, too). This one's hard to call, in my opinion. Kofi is super over today, but I don't think Vince is really going to put the championship on him.

Universal Championship -- Brock Lesnar (c) vs Seth Rollins: Seth Rollins
Have Brock drop the belt and make him go away forever... but induct Paul Heyman to the Hall of Fame next year.

WINNER TAKE ALL TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE RAW AND SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP AKA ASUKA DESERVES BETTER MATCH-- Ronda Rousey (c) vs Charlotte Flair (c) vs Becky Lynch: Becky Lynch
Although I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on Charlotte to piss everyone off. One thing I'm sure of is that Ronda won't take the pin. I didn't like how they turned this storyline into one convoluted mess. Having Becky win the Rumble was a good start, then it just went bananas from there.

I think the title changes depend on the balance of face and heels winning it. Would Vince be generous enough to have Seth, Kofi, and Becky all win at Mania? I certainly want him to, but I'm not counting on it.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 am

Considering that Wrestlemania is supposed to be the culmination of most feuds, it'd be great if all three faces get the big wins in the big title matches, but I agree, it just seems unlikely. I think Kofi's going to be the odd man out. I'm hoping they don't break up The New Day or turn them heel, though.

As I understand it, the story they're going with is that the demon form is something that Finn Balor breaks out when a feud gets really personal. I guess the situation with Lesnar wasn't personal enough? It still doesn't adequately answer why he wouldn't go into his super form for every big match, but it is some kind of an explanation, I'll give it that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I could see Pete Dunne finally losing. He's finally got a worthy competitor.

Really looking forward to the women's NXT match. I'm so ready for Shayna to lose and go away. I think Io will win since she's the shiny new toy. An Io Kairi feud would be great, and honestly they wouldn't need to turn either of them to make it great either.

Interesting point about AJ/Randy match. He will probably win off a spectacular RKO. Springboard 450 RKO
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Meanwhile, the first new champion of WrestleMANia weekend has already been crowned:
phpBB [video]
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:27 am

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:08 am

[Q] wrote:Meanwhile, the first new champion of WrestleMANia weekend has already been crowned:
phpBB [video]

I loved that. I also loved Miz coming in the moment the champion was crowned. I would've loved to have Corbin and Breeze in the background, those two have been hilarious in UpUpDownDown.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am

Speaking of UpUpDownDown, the bowling tournament was fun to watch. I don't know how anyone could keep a straight face around Big E.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:11 pm

:lol: I watched every part of that series. Big E is just hilarious and loud.

Okay, let me belt this out: NXT TAKEOVER, WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm

The love tap from Billie did the trick!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 am

I barely missed it, but Bret was attacked by a fan during his speech in the Hall of Fame. When I had the Network on, Drake Maverick, Slater, Edge, Christian, Beth Phoenix, New Day, and Ronda were on the ring surrounding Bret, and the crowd chanting "ASSHOLE!"

They changed the stage setup this year to be the ring from yesterday's Takeover with the sides of the ropes facing the hard camera removed.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:05 am

Ugh, some fans do not deserve to call themselves fans.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Looks like Dash Wilder punched the dude out after he got restrained lmao
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:11 pm

He did. Brought it upon himself.

DX's speech was pretty fun. Bret Hart and Natalya's speech was definitely heartfelt and emotional.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Andrew wrote:DX's speech was pretty fun.

The AEW references caused some comments on WWE's Facebook say something like "WWE is threatened by AEW" and "AEW WILL PUT WWE OUT OF BUSINESS". Although I really enjoyed their speech and the senile gimmick. :lol:

[Q] wrote:Looks like Dash Wilder punched the dude out after he got restrained lmao

Footage floated online saw Braun approaching the tussle when the guy was pulled out of the ring. I would have loved to see Braun pulling the guy off of Bret.

Meanwhile, at ROH/NJPW G1 Supercard, Enzo and Cass showed up in matching shirts and "jumped" the Briscoes. Online articles say that the commentators didn't mention the scuffle and the cameras were off them. But I still think of this as a work and both Enzo and Cass are now signed with Ring of Honor.

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:45 pm

He was about Get Those Hands!

I'm not surprised by the "WWE fears AEW" chatter. I don't think that's the case and it was more a rib on Billy Gunn, but they probably are taking them seriously. If nothing else, it was a funny way of addressing the elephant in the room.

I reckon the Enzo/Cass stuff is a work they're trying to pass off as a shoot. Seems to be the trend right now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:10 am

Surprisingly (maybe unsurprisingly?), I'm very excited for tonight's card, and think we may very well get the three title outcomes we want here. I can't wait for tomorrow when I revisit to comment on what an idiot I clearly am.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic