Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm

So much for the "Matt Hardy to AEW" rumours!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:17 am

Looks like they still are trying to bolster their roster of tag teams but the problem is with only one title pershow if you're not a main eventer, you don't get shown on TV. With the Hardys returning the commentators went over the tag teams on SD and there were still plenty of teams not mentioned
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:13 am

It remains to be seen what happens with the women's tag titles as well. I enjoyed the IIconics promo about The Boss 'n' Hug connection not having the guts to defend them on Smackdown; again, I really hope they get a run with them at some point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am

Instead of a third touring brand perhaps a Tag Team specific show?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:42 am

I don't know, I think that might be overkill. They have so much programming per week already.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:58 pm

[Q] wrote:Instead of a third touring brand perhaps a Tag Team specific show?

The concept of a specific show certainly worked well for 205 Live...
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:19 am

Not sure if anybody actually watches the UK show either. Even though I like Toni Storm and Pete Dunne, I don't really have any desire to watch the show
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:52 am

I watch it, not always on Wednesday, but normally on non-PPV weekends I'll put it on. There isn't much that gravitates me to the brand other than the production quality and seeing new talent I've never heard of before.

And stuff like this
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... his_money/
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:41 am

This new Twitter beef between Becky and Ronda show that Rondas in over her head. She tries to play the Uber aggressive bad ass character that cusses and uses big words but she gets caught up in the moment and breaks kayfabe and all hell breaks loose lol

She points out Becky's mug shots were taken in the hallway, and Becky reminds her they still have a story to tell and then Ronda calls Becky's move a fake arm bar that makes it look like she has a dick and then Becky agrees as she puts Rondas husbands face on the end of the "dick" lmao
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 pm

She's completely flailing and losing her babyface cool. In the ring, she's been incredible for a rookie and has only gone from strength to strength, but her character work hasn't been nearly as good. On social media, it's been a disaster.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 pm

[Q] wrote:Not sure if anybody actually watches the UK show either. Even though I like Toni Storm and Pete Dunne, I don't really have any desire to watch the show

Me too. Add Moustache Mountain to that. I prefer Pete Dunne on NXT instead of NXT UK, but I guess having him at NXT UK keeps him away from the main roster call-up.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:34 pm

So now Becky - the Women's Royal Rumble Winner - has to earn her title opportunity at Wrestlemania by defeating Charlotte. Ronda's heel turn is pretty well done and I think it suits her a lot more than an "aw shucks, I'm just happy to be here" babyface, but man, what should've been a straightforward build to a match so many people wanted to see has become contrived and convoluted, with Charlotte in there just because. Becky herself is still way over, but they're dangerously close to making her a white meat underdog babyface, which they've proven time and time again they just can't write well at all.

On the other hand, while it's a shame Kofi has been shunted out of the title match at Fastlane, I don't think it's the end for him. The New Daniel Bryan is a fantastic heel character; I genuinely want to see him get thrashed, and I liked Owens' promo acknowledging that it's his own fault he's lost his friends and backup due to his past actions. I'm a fan of wrestling being able to keep some continuity with face-heel changes, because it's not like a character's history gets erased when their attitude and subsequent protagonist/antagonist alignment does. I don't think Owens is winning, but hopefully it's the start of a fresh run as a babyface for him. I imagine Kofi is still going to be in the title picture, and may indeed get the big push he was due for years ago, before Orton's backstage politics derailed it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:12 pm

So with what seems to be an attempt in a weird double turn, was the whole Becky / Ronda Twitter beef a work? If it was, bravo to them because that looked pretty real to me. It also could've been an audible to punish Ronda or to save face after the fact. I think the most annoying part of the story is them pretending like there's a chance Becky doesn't wind up I or winning the main event at WrestleMania so nothing they're doing right now really matters as it's all just filler

I thought it was an interesting move bringing back KO as a face. His vingettes With his son were kinda cool. I think they initially had KO vs DB at Mania but with Kofi becoming popular, I could see them swapping programs.

BTW, who else thinks it's cool that KO is using the Stunner
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am

The Twitter stuff was always a work, I just think Ronda botched her end of it. For that matter, I thought HHH referring to his character during his promo was a bad fourth wall break as well. I get what they were going for there, but it didn't come off very well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Tommaso Ciampa was reported to be undergoing neck surgery, and another report suggests that he'll be out for 6-14 months. Oh boy, I wonder what happens with his storyline with Gargano.

I really want just a one-on-one between Ronda and Becky, and I think Charlotte's placed there to take the pinfall and carry on with the story when Ronda does indeed leave WWE after Wrestlemania. Although they need to put female stars of the same caliber as the two to put on Smackdown.

I also like for Kofi to be back in the title picture (I still think he will be added to the title match at Wrestlemania), and with New Day announcing they will be there at Fastlane, I expect shenanigans during the title match.

And then we get another Shield reunion, which I think is not too bad. It looks funny when you think that they've already reunited for several times now over the past few years and was just cut short because of injuries. I think this one is a one-off and just to give Ambrose the face pop before he leaves. But honestly, Drew McIntyre should be used better rather than being Corbin's lackey.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm fine with the reunion. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Ambrose, because there are conflicting rumours about him extending his contract, or at least strongly considering it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Interesting that they were open about Ambrose leaving but it seems like they're being honest to help get them over one last time. I actually don't dislike the new approach for Roman as it does seem less forced, fake, etc
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 pm

For sure. It's a shame it took a life-threatening illness to get him over as a face, but it's another testament to bad writing and booking. As I said though, when he does return to the ring, they need to avoid mentioning it every two minutes, or it will end up coming off very forced and phoney.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:35 pm

That's true. I guess after this run of his current shirt, it should be changed to something not referencing his cancer battle as it would just go back to how he was forced. The reception when he came back was very genuine and I don't want it for him to go back to mostly being boos because of forcing it onto the viewers.

I'm more inclined to believe that Ambrose is indeed leaving. It will all be just storyline once they mention it on TV before April so let's see.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 am

Is anybody knowledgeable about New Japan? I was considering seeing them in Tokyo when I'm there this weekend but I kinda wanna see Naito but I'm not sure if he'll be on the show. Looks like they're doing some sort of New Japan Cup tournament and they only list 2 matches on Saturday. I've already seen Ibushi live here at an NXT show when Itami got hurt and I know Tanahashi would be worth the price of admission but I'd like to see Naito as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:09 am

I've heard good things, but that's about all I know. I've never checked it out myself.

Good promo from Rondo on RAW, a bit better job at walking the line of kayfabe there. It was HHH who went overboard with the "Guardians of the Independent Scene" line; a funny line, sure, but also immersion-breaking. The main event match with McIntyre and Ambrose was a great, brtual contest. Renee's reaction when Ambrose got stabbed with the pencil was the most authentic-sounding bit of commentary in years.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 pm

[Q] wrote:Is anybody knowledgeable about New Japan?

I've seen some. I was also pacing to watch last year's WrestleKingdom for Omega vs Jericho. They like long matches, stiff spots, and multiple false finishes. There are matches like that that were exhausting to watch, and there are matches like that are absolutely enthralling. Okada is a must-see performer.

Andrew wrote:Renee's reaction when Ambrose got stabbed with the pencil was the most authentic-sounding bit of commentary in years.

She sounds like she's genuinely shocked.

On Smackdown, Kofi is scheduled to run another gauntlet against some heels and if he wins, he gets a title shot at 'Mania. I hope he keeps his momentum going and I really hope they don't overbook this the way they did Becky's storyline.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Interesting development. On one hand, I can't see him winning the gauntlet, but if they are setting him up to challenge Bryan at Wrestlemania, then it would be a hell of a way to make him look strong and establish him as a main eventer. I have a feeling Bryan will interfere, or more likely Rowan will so that Bryan doesn't have to get his hands dirty, to cost him the opportunity. There'll be some more messing around, and then he'll get the match.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:49 am

Interesting to see a ton of Mania matches being set up this week. I can see New Day interfering to stop Bryan from costing Kofi the match. Personally I'd like to see Bryan be Angle's last opponent but they need the title to be defended so it certainly does look like Kofi will get his shot but come up short at Mania.

Looks like Okada Is on during the week, so he won't be in Tokyo when I will be there. Scanning the schedule it looks like all these cards for the New Japan Cup tournament only have 2 matches a night, but events start at 6 on so they could potentially be really long matches. I'd like to go Saturday night to see Tanahashi vs Taguchi and Ibushi vs Zack Sabre
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

I'm glad Angle's been able to have one last run in WWE, ironically after he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. A match with Bryan would be awesome, but yeah, that would interfere with what they're already building to there. Cena, maybe?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic