Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:38 am

actually me posting the dunc'd on comments was more about a respectable podcast actually debating on whether a player will buy in or not. why even bother coming to LA if you're going to be disruptive/do whatever. maybe he's just there to expand his riches. who knows

i don't think it's a secret players take plays off, some more than others. but the magnifying glass is bigger for certain players... specifically for a 35yr old no less. i haven't seen a player cam since the Jeter cam back in the yankees world series reign....

lonzo ball being injured? really? that's the reason is lost for the lakers bahaha.

i say its management's fault for putting this roster together and also the environment created (davis no trade saga). too bad walton will be the fall guy
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:19 am

I actually think he bolts to LA to be with LeBron too Dee, I just think there both like "we need each other" and he's going to join the Lakers
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 am

mp3 wrote:I actually think he bolts to LA to be with LeBron too Dee, I just think there both like "we need each other" and he's going to join the Lakers

Both Lebron and Kyrie were very disappointed in how this season has gone, especially if Boston has a first round exit. Kyrie's apology earlier in the season imo has set up a potential reunion. It couldn't hurt, as it would give the Lakers a star player who can hit open 3s, which has been an achilles heel all season

I agree Walton will be the fall guy. The only reason why he hasn't been dumped this season was because of a promise but I could see him being let go early next year for Lue
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:41 am

Some great points all around Dee, but I wanted to highlight this one in particular:

Dee4Three wrote:Since LeBrons return, they are WAYYY below .500, and he looks as healthy as ever offensively, whether it is flying in for dunks and quickly rebounding afterwards, etc. If you watch healthy CLE LeBron side by side with post injury LeBron, they are moving identical. I literally see no difference.

That obviously is part of the narrative right now, and to be fair, who knows if he is 100%. Not many players are at this point of the season, especially if they have suffered an injury in the interim. However, as you noted, he certainly looks fine when he's barrelling to the hoop and finishing with emphatic dunks. The notion that he's too injured to play good defense, but is moving fine and looking as athletic as ever on offense, doesn't add up. It's making an excuse for a lack of effort, which has been a problem with him for a while.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:02 am

Dee4Three wrote:
[Q] wrote:With suspensions and injuries, it doesn't seem like they ever got off on the right foot. Not saying that they'd be in first place if Ball wasn't injured, but it does make me wonder "what if?"

They had one of the easiest schedules in the NBA for the first 30-35 games, and some obvious problems were already on the table pre-Lebron injury. They were in 4th place, but 1.5 games out of 10th. Thats with one of the easiest schedules to that point.....

well said here. i agree with the points made in this post

it's a shame if the lakers don't make the playoffs. on a side note- what a great story for the clips if they make the postseason
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 am

air gordon wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
[Q] wrote:With suspensions and injuries, it doesn't seem like they ever got off on the right foot. Not saying that they'd be in first place if Ball wasn't injured, but it does make me wonder "what if?"

They had one of the easiest schedules in the NBA for the first 30-35 games, and some obvious problems were already on the table pre-Lebron injury. They were in 4th place, but 1.5 games out of 10th. Thats with one of the easiest schedules to that point.....

well said here. i agree with the points made in this post

it's a shame if the lakers don't make the playoffs. on a side note- what a great story for the clips if they make the postseason

Thanks.

The clippers and post Oladipo Pacers impress me. Shows was effort can do for a team. They have a lot of high effort dudes (Beverley, Harrell, etc) who have a winning mindset on D and O. The Kings are another team that I have loved watching this year, Fox is a stud, and Buddy H. Is living up to his draft hype. That's another team that is a high effort team on most nights.

Playoffs are going to be interesting in both the East and the West. The East is the best it's been in many, many years (top 6 anyway), and the West has a couple teams that could surprise the Warriors. I don't think Houston is one of those teams, but OKC and Denver could give them a fight IMO.

I don't see the style Houston is playing this season translating well to the playoffs, they are going to need contributions from more than 2 or 3 guys. The ISO heavy ball they are playing now won't win in the later rounds of the playoffs IMO.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 am

I don't understand how any player (especially LeBron) can go into a season expecting to not be a title contender -- what a horrible mindset. They're all professionals... anything can happen. A lot of the guys like LeBron, Rondo and McGee have championship experience. Time is limited too... each season should be precious.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:11 am

I'd say it's not so much about that, but being realistic about the chances and the challenges you face in reaching that goal. It doesn't mean you don't try, but the bar isn't the same for everyone.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:32 pm

cavs4872 wrote:I don't understand how any player (especially LeBron) can go into a season expecting to not be a title contender...

Time is limited too... each season should be precious.

I'm pretty sure LeBron knows that judging by how he handled his career by joining that Heat team and his second stay with the Cavs and yet all he got for having that win now mindset was being unfairly scrutinized by his haters despite being the most successful player of his generation.

imo he already knew the Lakers suck even with that young core. If he wanted a championship contender he wouldn't have joined the Lakers.
He didn't join LAL to compete for championships, unless he has some guaranteed help like Anthony Davis, and he's too old to stay around waiting for a young core to mature and be a championhsip contender.

He went to LA primarily because his wife wanted to and he's just after that career scoring list like Kobe did in his last few seasons.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm

phpBB [video]

This Lakers young team exposes LeBron's defense.
Off the ball, he never was a huge defender, but since 3/4 years, it's distressing.
But you cant see that if you just looking on scoreboard...
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:40 am

Finally, they threw in the towel. Tryin for Zion. Ball is getting shut down. Ingram shut down for a blood clot in his shoulder. LeBron getting reduced minutes. Hope those ping pong balls fall our way!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 am

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby air gordon on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 am

oopsies. let the daggers fly from the talking heads
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:20 pm

I mean, not many people were willing to sign 1 year deals, and apparently Magic really took Lebron's request for "playmakers" to heart (as opposed to the shooters he had in Cleveland)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Well that's a wrap!

Sorry Laker fans but it is what it is, I may not be a LeBron fan theses days but I do buy in to the theory that he may be just tired from playing so many game the pasted 8 years so we will see what the extra rest does for him next season when he's joined by Kyrie in LA
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 pm

mp3 wrote:I do buy in to the theory that he may be just tired from playing

He got rushed back from an injury, badly.

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:09 pm

Shame the season went the way it did. The injuries were a bitch, the trade deadline was a cluster fuck and the front office's assembly of the team has been questionable at best.

I think it's pretty definitive Luke's on his way out, just play hard/fast isn't much of a gameplan. Hopefully no Kidd/Mark Jackson though, fuck both those guys. Also no Kurt Rambis Magic...

Hope Brandon & Zo come back better and are able to play out the season with the franchise. Ingram's clot was a scare but hopefully nothing like Bosh's. I'd really love if they kept Ingram, I'm rooting for that kid. Easily my favorite Laker in ages.

Magic letting Zu go for nothing is atrocious. Brook is out in Milwaukee spreading the floor like a mofo. Russell hits back with super classy responses after Magic hits him with bullshit like "not a leader" soon after the trade...they turn down Jerry West who wants to come back...just a shame what's happening with the organization. Rest in peace Dr. Buss but your kids are fucking morons cept for Jesse from what it seems.

The only positive these last couple of years has been the scouting department. The medical staff seems questionable since Vitti left, the coaching staff is just a bunch of Arizona bro's..to think this team had Messina and Snyder on their bench a few years ago.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:47 am

What kind of ankle injury does ball have?

It's LA so despite the horrendous season, the outlook is optimistic

Very strange turn of events for Russell

Heaven forbid but there is some of Andrew wiggins in Ingrams game
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Magic bitches out, says it's too hard.

At least he didn't hold on and continue to fuck them over like Phil Jackson in NY

Does Luke have a chance now?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

There are rumours that Pelinka was going behind his back. If that's true and he has been undermined, it's understandable that he'd call it quits. Still a surprising turn of events, whether that's true or not.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:09 pm

This fucking idiot thought he'd sign big free agents because hurr-durr "We are the Lakers" then proceeds to sign Rondo, Beasley, McGee (w/ LeBron but ok). Then mid-season comes and he "SLYly" tries to trade half the team - FUCKING FAILS TO DO SO - then ruins team chemistry because of that. AND THEN AND THEN AND THEN TRADES LITERALLY THE ONLY GUY WITH THE SPOTLIGHT IN LA ASIDE FROM LEBRON IN ZUBAC FOR FUCKING MIKE "DNP - COACH'S DECISION" MUSCALA. Good fucking lord. I am losing my mind. I want him gone, yes, BUT BOI we needed to fire him. He cant just fucking dip like that and rage quit irl. Lil bitch ass. Anyway, I saw on twitter that Magic survived 30 years of having HIV but couldn't survive 9 months of LeBron lmao. Sorry for the rant, am drunk and sad that the Lakers season ended this way plus that Harkless game-winner. Fuck this season. I'm ready for Culvert or Morant, thanks Silver.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:18 am

Andrew wrote:There are rumours that Pelinka was going behind his back. If that's true and he has been undermined, it's understandable that he'd call it quits. Still a surprising turn of events, whether that's true or not.

Wasn't Magic the one that endorsed Pelinka to Jeanie Buss and hired him?

What a bitch move by Magic to rage quit like that and put all the blame on Pelinka.
Pelinka wasn't the one going on talk shows and interviews getting caught for tampering.
Pelinka wasn't the one who was obvious in publicly salivating for Anthony Davis that derailed the Lakers chemistry.
Even in press conferences with Magic and Pelinka together, Magic would say something hype and Pelinka would follow it up with a more controlled response to calm shit down.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 am

Magic brought his showtime personality to his new position with the Lakers, and it didn't work as well as when he played, for obvious reasons. Fireworks, or in his case attempting fireworks, is an extreme when you are the president of basketball operations, an extreme that if things don't fall into place perfectly, can cause a disaster in the locker room and throughout the organization. As much of a legend/great teammate he was as a player, this was not the position for him.

Especially in light of the fact that he wasn't fully invested in the team. I keep reading that he wasn't available a lot, that he wasn't as involved as he should have been. Huge red flag, and wreaks of Phil Jacksons tenure with the Knicks. As someone mentioned above, atleast he left earlier than Jackson did with the Knicks. The Zubac for Muscala trade speaks volumes about how disconnected Magic was from the team, and the current NBA makeup in general. That trade literally made no sense whatsoever.

The Lakers are going to have trouble getting big name free agents to join, so it comes down to the draft and small moves that can atleast get them back in the postseason. They honestly can't have a bigger disaster than this season, literally everything went wrong for them, not only with LeBron, but with the pure stupidity of not trying harder to hold onto Randle and Lopez, getting a group together that obviously wouldn't mesh, to the Zubac trade, to the injuries sustained to key players, trying to trade the whole team halfway through the season and not only it being rejected, but also being laughed at.... etc.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 am

haha the zubac deal is just the cherry on the top for Magic. is that guy really good or just another log to throw in the fire?

and we thought walton's head was on the block. figured we'd be guessing who will coach lebron james next year.

too bad for the lakers fans. what now?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 am

air gordon wrote:haha the zubac deal is just the cherry on the top for Magic. is that guy really good or just another log to throw in the fire?

and we thought walton's head was on the block. figured we'd be guessing who will coach lebron james next year.

too bad for the lakers fans. what now?

At the very least Zubac was a young player who showed potential, and if they were not going to hold onto him, a much better trade piece in the future than Muscala. Muscala is.... Muscala.... I don't have anything positive to say about him, no upside to speak of.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball