Andrew Bogut Signs with Kings

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Andrew Bogut Signs with Kings

Postby koberulz on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:19 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/live-stream-sydney-kings-to-officially-unveil-new-signing-andrew-bogut/news-story/52f2df66dfc4b77b55d4a889d860e1ec
AUSTRALIAN basketball legend Andrew Bogut has promised to both “win games and sell tickets” after being officially unveiled by the Sydney Kings in a landmark day for the NBL.

Bogut, a veteran of 13 NBA seasons, has signed a two-year deal in what’s being described as the biggest coup in the history of the competition.

The Boomers star, 33, said while he would be getting paid less than he could have earned in the NBA, the incentive of part ownership of the club had helped get the “world class” deal across the line.

Bogut said he wanted to return to Australia while he was still playing at a high level.

“I’m here to win games. This isn’t an exercise where I’m just here to sell tickets,” Bogut said at a press conference in Sydney on Tuesday.

“We want to win games and sell tickets. I’m still a basketball player and I want to get this team and this franchise back to where it belongs.

“I’m here for the long haul, for the two years.

“There’s no NBA outs, no European outs in my deal. I’m committed to be here for two years and that’s very important to put out there.”
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Re: Andrew Bogut Signs with Kings

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Thought it was Sacramento, you got me.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:03 pm

It seems like a good move for him. His NBA career appears to be winding down with opportunities for a major role drying up, and with his wife in the midst of an at-risk pregnancy, being closer to home and family is no doubt an appealing scenario for him. Good for him, and good for the NBL.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Apparently he had two contenders looking for his signature, but opted to stay home.

The NBL season ends in mid-March, so he could still potentially head over and play the end of NBA seasons, although it doesn't seem likely. There was initially speculation he had an NBA out clause (as does pretty much any NBL player who might make the transition), and would never actually play for Sydney. Obviously not the case.

Leaves him as a candidate for the Boomers' World Cup Qualifiers during the NBA season, as well.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Some reports I've heard are describing him as retiring from the NBA (effectively, if not formally), but perhaps that's based on a misunderstanding. Either way, it sounds like he's committed to playing out his NBL contract.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:26 am

Seems he's not done with the NBA just yet. With the NBL season concluded (and the MVP and DPOY awards to his name), he's looking to latch on with an NBA team for the rest of the season. Apparently the Warriors and 76ers are the frontrunners.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I was watching some of his highlights with the kings and he looked like his younger self out there! It would be awesome if he now went to the Sacramento kings and powered them to the playoffs
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 pm

That would be a pretty cool situation. Maybe he could play a game in the G-League with the Stockton Kings first, just so that he could play for as many Kings teams as possible! It'd be life imitating video games as well, since at one point he was assigned to the Stockton Kings in NBA 2K19's roster.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm

I could see him being the next Scott Pollard for them lol

Also I think it shows just how good of a standard the nba is that he can go win mvp and defensive player of the year back home reminds me of the lockout year (99) when John Amaechi came back to the UK and played half a season and he was just on another level. Further more I watched John play about 5 years ago at his basketball center (The Amaechi center) in a tournament we were in (we were in the lower bracket) and he still had some moves then too
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:10 am

Acie Earl dominated in the NBL years ago after leaving the NBA, too. The NBL is doing quite well these days, but it's definitely not on the NBA's level, to state the obvious.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:31 pm

There's a blast from the passed in Earl, looks like Bogut is rejoining the Warriors. I wonder if he was only connected to the Sixers because of Simmons and Bolden?
mp3

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:44 pm

I think Sixers coach Brett Brown wanted him, Brown coached in Australia for more than a decade.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby mp3 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Damm I forgot about Brown, of course he did silly me.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm

That's how he made it through the tanking years of The Process. He's endured crushing defeats before. :(
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:37 am

Speaking of the Aussie team I saw that the game Vs USA in August has sold 90k tickets, that's insane if it's right for a basketball game
mp3

Return to NBA & Basketball