How good is the game?

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

How good is the game?

Postby Leander on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:12 pm

How good is the game? The reviews are horrible but I only want to play MyLeague. I already have 2k9, 13, 15, 16 and 17. What's the best title? Should I get 2k19 for the current rosters? I want to play with Porzingis, Doncic and Nowitzki on the Knicks. :p

My main problem is that I cannot get used to 2K's controls. I used to play NBA Live 95, 99, 00, 03 and 05 for hundreds of hours, playing games just for the end of season-statistics (I am a stats enthusiast). Live was easy to control but 2K is so slow and clunky. The players react slowly, I can hardly get a play to complete before the shotclock expires as the CPU players need long to run to the needed positon. Oh, and I hate the cheap plays. The CPU's backdoor passes cannot be defendes. The PG has the ball, throws a quick pass, score...and I cannot select the defender, run, react etc. all in 1 second. On the offensive side I never have any fastbreaks, cannot outdribble players...it was easier in Live. Sometimes I dribble, sometimes I shoot...usually I draw full contact and that's it. Getting open shots is so difficult to me whereas the paint gameplay is too easy. Hooks, off the board, even crazy contested shots go in...
Even dribbling across the court is difficult...you either walk or take a big step...even practice mode with dribbling along the 3PT line is not easy because of the heavy and clunky players...XBOX 360 controller for PC.

What title do you recommend? It 2K19 good for MyLeague play?
Leander

Re: How good is the game?

Postby Leander on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:53 am

Played the game for 90 minutes and refunded it. The sliding takes out all the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RShlI-APSs
Leander

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:06 am

A lot of different opinions on 2K19, ranging from quick takes of "This is trash", or "Your game is broken" (Without explaining why), and several saying its the best 2K ever (Also without explaining why). So I am going to give my honest opinion, and explain why (In summary, but still an explanation)

When the new motion system was introduced for 2K18, it created player movement issues which did not exist on this gen, or the later games on last gen. Specifically, the players looking and feeling like they are skating/sliding, and at times even floating. it's apparent in any gameplay video you watch, and you can feel it when you play. Other movement issues include clunky change of direction, clunky acceleration (Or lack of in general), and speed/acceleration breaks. While 2K18 had the skating and the terrible blow by defense (and poor defense in general), the change of directions and speed/acceleration breaks did not happen as often. So while the player movement in NBA 2K18 is slightly better (On offense and just moving around the court), the game overall is not as good as 2K19. Here is why:

2K19 remedied the defense issue from 2K18. The dev team clearly heard the complaints about the blow by defense (From regular joes like me, all the way up to people in the 2K league and people like Chris Smoove) so they made the on ball defense sharper. Just eliminating the blow by exploit made 2K19 a better game. The graphics in 2K19 have also improved, with an improved HDR effect and better cutscenes. While the game has stunning closeups, it still suffers from low lighting, and a washed out look from the gameplay perspective. 2K19 suffers from the movement issues, but also animation issues when it comes to trying to pull up (Getting sucked in), or taking layups from far out unrealistically when that was not you the users intention. It has issues with ball mechanics as it relates to the backboard, and the body blocks/body steals legacy issues still exist, these have been in 2K games for quite some time.

With slider tweaks, you can help that sluggish feel you are talking about. I created an "improved Player Movement" slider set that I posted on here and on OS, and it was well received. By increasing player acceleration/speed with ball, and a few other tweaks, you can make the players move more like real life counterparts, instead of all the players feeling like they are stuck in mud. This also helps a bit with the speed/acceleration breaks. However, it does not help with the skating/sliding feeling and look, which is why I have basically dropped 2K19 (and partly why I didn't play 2K18 more), and have stuck with NBA 2K17 and prior. With slider tweaks, and if you can put up with the skating, NBA 2K19 isn't a bad basketball game.

I prefer NBA 2K17 because of the foot planting, because the players don't look like they are playing on an ice rink. The game also doesn't suffer from the speed/acceleration break issue, and while brick wall defense is a bother at times, I can stomach it because the overall feel of the game is better. I personally like 2K15 and 2K17's gameplay the best on this gen, and I'd say that NBA 2K13 is the best on last gen. The problem is: No current rosters exist for 2K15 or 2K17, and because those games were not as moddable as last gens games, people left those games pretty fast to move onto playing/modding the new ones. I am one of the few left playing NBA 2K17, and am one of the few who are interested in modding it.

For 2K19, you will find a lot of great mods, so again, if you can stomach the player movement issues, find a slider set you like, and can put up with the skating/sliding players, 2K19 would be the choice for you (Without question), as you are looking at using the current NBA rosters. otherwise, I'd recommend downloading the URB mod (Because its always being updated) and playing either 2K13 or 2K14 on PC. The new rosters are amazing, accurate, and fun.

Here are some gameplay videos from various games, these are all "Gameplay highlights" of games, so you don't have to sit through full games.

Here is a video Made with me using the Wizards with my improved movement sliders on NBA 2K19:

This was a fun game, so the game can be fun.

phpBB [video]

And another fun game I had against the Pacers on NBA 2K19:

phpBB [video]

Here is me playing NBA Live 19 as the Jazz. You are talking about 2K, but for now teams, NBA live 19 is a good option (If you have an X1 or PS4).

phpBB [video]

Here is me on 2K17 playing against my brother

phpBB [video]

Here is me as the 10-11 Mavericks against the 10-11 Heat on 2K17 (modded against the CPU)

phpBB [video]

Here is Live 16 with me as the Wolves (PS4)

phpBB [video]

Here is NBA 2K10 with me as the Wizards vs the CPU (02-03 mod)

phpBB [video]

Here is 2K11 with the 91-92 Roster (This is important, because Andrew and company are working on a 18-19 roster for 2K11 that you may want to dive into)

phpBB [video]

NBA 2K12 UBR game highlights.

phpBB [video]

Here is 2K13 URB for the PC:

phpBB [video]

NBA 2K14 for the PC game highlights of me vs the CPU

phpBB [video]

A lot of fun can be had with these games, and I wish that we had updated rosters for all of them. Unfortunately, that's not the case. NBA 2K19, Live 19, UBR/URB for 2K13/2K14, and possibly Andrews NBA 2K11 modded roster may be best for current rosters.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:14 am

Leander wrote:Played the game for 90 minutes and refunded it. The sliding takes out all the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RShlI-APSs

Yes, that's my video. It's ruined both 2K18 and 2K19 for me (2K18 was also ruined by the blow by defense). So I feel you.

Your best bet is to download the URB for 2K13 or 2K14 PC, you will have a lot of fun. Slimm on the URB team does a great job with stats, sim stats look great.

phpBB [video]

Go check those rosters out, you will not be disappointed. The cyberfaces for Doncic etc are very good, the jerseys and courts are accurate, and the gameplay overall is better.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ashepherd316 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:55 am

cant they just do a patch to fix the sliding issues.
ashepherd316

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:07 am

ashepherd316 wrote:cant they just do a patch to fix the sliding issues.

Not sure, I just know that it hasn't improved since release.

I had a thread on Operation Sports about this and a lot of people were frustrated with the movement issues, and a believe one of them escalated the issue. But nothing has happened.

Personally, I hope that the #1 thing they focus on for 2K20 is getting the on court action right, specifically the movement. It needs to feel and look right, implementing better foot planting is vital.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:07 am

Didn't know it is your video. :) I don't want to play 2k19 only because of the sliding. It completely destroys any fun with this unrealistic kind of movement, similar to 2k9 as far as I remeber when the bodies of players got stuck, not collison-wise but body parts going through other body parts visually.

Hopefully, 2k20 will be better. If 2k create the same money grabbing microtransaction cheater pile of ... they will really lose all respect.

I have 2k9, 13, 15, 16 and 17 but don't want to go back and play with old graphics. Do you know if there is a current roster for 2k17 and a cyberface for Jakob Pöltl?

I don't think that sliding in 2k19 can be fixed by adjusting sliders or a mod as they are hardcoded animations in my opinion.
Leander

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 am

Leander wrote:Didn't know it is your video. :) I don't want to play 2k19 only because of the sliding. It completely destroys any fun with this unrealistic kind of movement, similar to 2k9 as far as I remeber when the bodies of players got stuck, not collison-wise but body parts going through other body parts visually.

Hopefully, 2k20 will be better. If 2k create the same money grabbing microtransaction cheater pile of ... they will really lose all respect.

I have 2k9, 13, 15, 16 and 17 but don't want to go back and play with old graphics. Do you know if there is a current roster for 2k17 and a cyberface for Jakob Pöltl?

I don't think that sliding in 2k19 can be fixed by adjusting sliders or a mod as they are hardcoded animations in my opinion.

You could always check on moddingway. However, no current up to date rosters exist on here. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to convert 2K14 cyberfaces to 2K17, If I can figure that out, I MIGHT entertain getting an updated roster out there.

Still finishing up my classic teams roster V2 at the moment.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks for your reply! NBA 2k19 has a free weekend coming up...so I am going to download those 65 GB AGAIN! :D

I need some help with sliders, 2k17. First of all, I have to say that I am not good at this game, especially running plays or using the right stick. With default sliders I destroy the CPU on Pro but get destroyed on Allstar. On Allstar I miss open jumpers and don't know how to defend cheesy plays. I don't want to fiddle with tactics so everything is set to auto...defense, pressure etc...the main problem is that my CPU teammates are useless. I play man on man all the time and guard the defender assigned to the ballhandler. And what happens? Some random CPU opponent runs by his CPU defender who just watches and does nothing at all. Then the pass...open shot. Usually the CPU shoots after 3 seconds in my half...I cannot do anything. It is always the same...all CPU attackers are active and run around but my CPU defenders are much slower and don't care what is going on. What should I do?

Ah...it's the game, great! :( Can it be fixed with sliders?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2JAWrs_gpo

EDIT Just played another game with custom strategy, testing out tight and deny settings...I don't know if my problem was due to these or the opposing team's style but it was a joke. The opponent abused the offside rule in soccer. Inbounded the ball, one of their players ran into my paint, all other players just walked around and so did my CPU defenders...or they got the defensive rebound, all my players slowly ran back while one of the opposing players passed it to someone who sprinted ... then some possessions results in a fast break with a 3PT shot ... instead of a layup or dunk attempt...

I wanted to record some footage but my Camtasia only records a black screen with audio...
Leander

Postby Bassman58 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 am

Many of the issues with NBA 2K19 can be fixed by using the sliders. I'm a noob at NBA 2K19 (I just got a 64 bit PC). I have played NBA 2K15-2K19 at a friends house on his XBox 1. I've been playing on my PC since 2K10 up to 2K14. Every year the game has issues that someone does not like. I have found that the sliders do fix many issues. The problem is that a slider set is not a fix all for everybody. You need to find a slider set that is fairly close to your skills no matter what level you think you should play on. I always had the same problem as Leander. I was too good for one level and sucked at the next higher level. The slider usually needed adjusting for my specific skill (or lack of skill). On YouTube I have found that 2K with the Popboy has a series of insightful videos. He explains this reasons and shows the results. The only problem is that he hasn't released a completed slider set yet. He will eventually do this but waiting for the next video makes you want to scream. "Come on dude, hurry up :lol: ". He has videos for NBA 2K17 and 2K18. Another YouToober is Da_Czar. Operation Sports people will know him. He has also made good videos with a lot of tips. I suggest you get a few sheets of paper and take some notes. Then apply these to your slider set and make some tweaks as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaUxji ... =dd&view=0

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... XFoMN9-ddF
Bassman58

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Correct that every game has its issues, the sliding issue (which is why he returned NBA 2K19), can not be fixed with sliders. Slider tweaks can fix several of the other issues, though.

Leandor, I have a set of sliders I use with 2K17. I'll put them together in a message and send them to you tomorrow.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:29 pm

I don't think the skating and sliding can be fixed in a patch, because it's a core issue with the motion engine. I'm guessing the only way to fix it is to make major adjustments for the next title, or replace the tech entirely. Either way, a fix via a patch likely isn't viable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Leander on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 am

Dee4Three Thanks, looking forward to your PM!

Played some more 2k19 because of the free weekend. The movement is really bad and other errors are annoying too (sound stops working etc.). The game is more intuitive than 2k17 though. Hedge, gap, deny, tight etc. strategies are actually explained so you know what they do. Running plays is easier too.
Leander

Postby Leander on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:06 am

After some games with 2k17 I bought 2k19 again. Stupid move to buy it for 16€, refund it...but it again for 25€ but nevermind. I prefer it now. Still testing out sliders.
Leander

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:06 am

You can play both ;)

For 2K19 sliders, you should try Schnaidt1 set
sticky-fingers

Postby Old friend on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:44 am

Dee4Three wrote:A lot of different opinions on 2K19, ranging from quick takes of "This is trash", or "Your game is broken" (Without explaining why), and several saying its the best 2K ever (Also without explaining why). So I am going to give my honest opinion, and explain why (In summary, but still an explanation)

When the new motion system was introduced for 2K18, it created player movement issues which did not exist on this gen, or the later games on last gen. Specifically, the players looking and feeling like they are skating/sliding, and at times even floating. it's apparent in any gameplay video you watch, and you can feel it when you play. Other movement issues include clunky change of direction, clunky acceleration (Or lack of in general), and speed/acceleration breaks. While 2K18 had the skating and the terrible blow by defense (and poor defense in general), the change of directions and speed/acceleration breaks did not happen as often. So while the player movement in NBA 2K18 is slightly better (On offense and just moving around the court), the game overall is not as good as 2K19. Here is why:

2K19 remedied the defense issue from 2K18. The dev team clearly heard the complaints about the blow by defense (From regular joes like me, all the way up to people in the 2K league and people like Chris Smoove) so they made the on ball defense sharper. Just eliminating the blow by exploit made 2K19 a better game. The graphics in 2K19 have also improved, with an improved HDR effect and better cutscenes. While the game has stunning closeups, it still suffers from low lighting, and a washed out look from the gameplay perspective. 2K19 suffers from the movement issues, but also animation issues when it comes to trying to pull up (Getting sucked in), or taking layups from far out unrealistically when that was not you the users intention. It has issues with ball mechanics as it relates to the backboard, and the body blocks/body steals legacy issues still exist, these have been in 2K games for quite some time.

With slider tweaks, you can help that sluggish feel you are talking about. I created an "improved Player Movement" slider set that I posted on here and on OS, and it was well received. By increasing player acceleration/speed with ball, and a few other tweaks, you can make the players move more like real life counterparts, instead of all the players feeling like they are stuck in mud. This also helps a bit with the speed/acceleration breaks. However, it does not help with the skating/sliding feeling and look, which is why I have basically dropped 2K19 (and partly why I didn't play 2K18 more), and have stuck with NBA 2K17 and prior. With slider tweaks, and if you can put up with the skating, NBA 2K19 isn't a bad basketball game.

I prefer NBA 2K17 because of the foot planting, because the players don't look like they are playing on an ice rink. The game also doesn't suffer from the speed/acceleration break issue, and while brick wall defense is a bother at times, I can stomach it because the overall feel of the game is better. I personally like 2K15 and 2K17's gameplay the best on this gen, and I'd say that NBA 2K13 is the best on last gen. The problem is: No current rosters exist for 2K15 or 2K17, and because those games were not as moddable as last gens games, people left those games pretty fast to move onto playing/modding the new ones. I am one of the few left playing NBA 2K17, and am one of the few who are interested in modding it.

For 2K19, you will find a lot of great mods, so again, if you can stomach the player movement issues, find a slider set you like, and can put up with the skating/sliding players, 2K19 would be the choice for you (Without question), as you are looking at using the current NBA rosters. otherwise, I'd recommend downloading the URB mod (Because its always being updated) and playing either 2K13 or 2K14 on PC. The new rosters are amazing, accurate, and fun.

Here are some gameplay videos from various games, these are all "Gameplay highlights" of games, so you don't have to sit through full games.

Here is a video Made with me using the Wizards with my improved movement sliders on NBA 2K19:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Here is me playing NBA Live 19 as the Jazz. You are talking about 2K, but for now teams, NBA live 19 is a good option (If you have an X1 or PS4).

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Here is me as the 10-11 Mavericks against the 10-11 Heat on 2K17 (modded against the CPU)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Here is 2K11 with the 91-92 Roster (This is important, because Andrew and company are working on a 18-19 roster for 2K11 that you may want to dive into)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

A lot of fun can be had with these games, and I wish that we had updated rosters for all of them. Unfortunately, that's not the case. NBA 2K19, Live 19, UBR/URB for 2K13/2K14, and possibly Andrews NBA 2K11 modded roster may be best for current rosters.

Without Knowing you'd answer a lot of questions for myself. Thx pal.
Better then ever! :D
Old friend

Postby Old friend on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:45 am

Dee4Three wrote:A lot of different opinions on 2K19, ranging from quick takes of "This is trash", or "Your game is broken" (Without explaining why), and several saying its the best 2K ever (Also without explaining why). So I am going to give my honest opinion, and explain why (In summary, but still an explanation)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Without Knowing you'd answer a lot of questions for myself. Thx pal.
Old friend

Postby Rodzilla91 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 pm

I enjoyed 19 on the PS4, just because I like to stay up to date with the latest 2k. As far as PC I mainly just play modded 2k14 rosters. I posted something earlier about 2k19 seeming choppy on my system, but honestly I just think I'm used to how fast 2k14 plays. I haven't touched my playstation in a while. It just feels incredibly slow to me.
Rodzilla91

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:45 am

No problem Old Friend. Glad It helped.

Not sure what I answered for you, but that's awesome.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Old friend on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:31 am

Dee4Three wrote:No problem Old Friend. Glad It helped.

Not sure what I answered for you, but that's awesome.

I was planning on buying a new game such as NBA's 2K17, 18, 19 or maybe 20, but as long i still have NBA's 2K13 and 14, now i know that i still have the best games.
Old friend

Postby Leander on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47 am

After playing many games in 2k17 and 2k19, losing a lot or dominating too much with easy settings...I finally found awesome sliders...no cheese, no nothing...they are great!

https://forums.operationsports.com/foru ... iders.html

I got destroyed and thought it would be a slider too difficult to me once again...and I would have to adjust everything to my lack of skill just not to get decent sliders anyway...but it seems teams are really different in 2k19. I played with the Mavs and lost to the Pelicans...without a chance and bad shooting. Then I gave the sliders another try, took the Pelicans and played against the Mavs...and I won...everything felt more natural - shooting, passing, plays...and attributes really matter.
Leander

Return to NBA 2K19