The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Murat on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Kind of late on posting there, but the Knicks made really good selections this year. Look at Allonzo Trier, Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson. Yeah, the team literally sucks without Porzingis, but these rookies showed at least something solid. I enjoy Mitchell Robinson. mp3 pointed out these guys in last post but it's been a long time since I enjoyed Knicks. The last good time I've received from NYK was probably 2010-11. Never liked the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony, I still play with New York in NBA 2K11 with a roster that has both Amar'e and Gallinari.

This roster looks promising and fun.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Yeah we messed up there mate, blame Melo for that as we could if signed him in the summer and kept our core if he really wanted to be in NY but he wouldn't of been able to sign for as much money if he went there on his own but forcing a trade ment he could keep his rights (bird rights??) And resign on a max deal.. smh
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:57 pm

James Harden continues the Knick tradition of opposing players having career nights at MSG.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:36 am

25 free throws tho lol

Horrible from 3, not taking anything aways from his great night but the game was a lot closer than I expected and watching Harden was not fun either but he played hard, he crashed the boards.

Frank did a pretty good job making him work for his points but 0 points in 23 minutes...
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 pm

LOL @ Knick fans giving Anthony a standing ovation, treating him like he's an all-time Knick.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:04 am

To soon? He is still a great knick tho when all is said and done
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:14 am

mp3 wrote:To soon? He is still a great knick tho when all is said and done

Not to me...not in the same universe with Clyde, Willis, Pearl, Dollar Bill, Barnett, Dave, Bernard, Patrick, Starks, etc.

Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated superstars I've ever seen...a ballhog and a poor leader.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:39 am

It feels like Melo has been called overrated his entire career, to the point where I'm not sure that he actually is overrated by anyone. By and large, I think most people have a pretty fair assessment of him. I do think when his career is over, people are going to look back and say that he was better than he was given credit for, but far less than he could've been (and possibly believed himself to be).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 am

Andrew wrote:It feels like Melo has been called overrated his entire career, to the point where I'm not sure that he actually is overrated by anyone. By and large, I think most people have a pretty fair assessment of him. I do think when his career is over, people are going to look back and say that he was better than he was given credit for, but far less than he could've been (and possibly believed himself to be).

Listen to some of the young Knick fans on social media, or in my neighborhood. You'd think Carmelo was on LeBron or Kobe's level the way they pump him up. They have no knowledge of history.

Carmelo is what he is....a legit scorer, but I never regarded him as a winning player. To me, he's always been about his 'brand' or 'legacy'. If he truly cared about winning, he would have gone to the Bulls a few years ago, right?
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 pm

They're certainly mistaken, then! Generally Melo has been called overrated to the point where I wonder who's left that actually overrates him, but obviously, it is happening!

I definitely agree with you in regards to the lack of knowledge about history. I blame it on the efforts to push everything current as the Best Ever, and the downplaying of past eras; this whole "plumbers and dentists" garbage that I feel probably began as a joke, but people have picked up and run with as a serious dismissal of former players, along with the idea that it was just rougher with no skill.

That's not to say that the 80s and 90s weren't heralded as a Golden Age in their time, but there was more reverence and respect for the players who came before. It was taught to us as well; a lot of the NBA Home Video releases in the late 80s and through the 90s would profile retired players and talk about their achievements. That gave my generation an appreciation for and knowledge of NBA history, respect for the older players and the prior era. Even if we believed and argued that certain players from the current era were better, we acknowledged that the game didn't begin with them, and that greatness preceded them. You don't get that anymore, and too many talking heads flat out trash previous decades to hold active players in higher esteem.

With that in mind, I can't entirely blame younger fans for holding such opinions. It's what they've been taught, how they've been told to view NBA history. It's unfortunate to say the least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby skoadam on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:15 am

That trade :facepalm2:
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [41 Complete Seasons Mods + Bonus Rosters]

2022/2023 2021/2022 2020/2021 2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013
2011/2012 2010/2011 2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003
2001/2002 2000/2001 1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993
1991/1992 1990/1991 1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962
skoadam
U R Basketball - Where Sim Happens
Contributor

Postby Jeffx on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am

skoadam wrote:That trade :facepalm2:

Yep, just heard the news.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Did not see that coming. Apparently Porzingas told them he wanted out so I guess it makes more sense, but still. It's not quite trading away Patrick Ewing, or signing Jerome James to a ridiculous contract, but it's far from stellar. Condolences.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:33 pm

We took a chance on KP, loved and embraced him, made the Knicks HIS team and then he shits on us,good riddance
mp3

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 am

Jeffx wrote:
Andrew wrote:It feels like Melo has been called overrated his entire career, to the point where I'm not sure that he actually is overrated by anyone. By and large, I think most people have a pretty fair assessment of him. I do think when his career is over, people are going to look back and say that he was better than he was given credit for, but far less than he could've been (and possibly believed himself to be).

Listen to some of the young Knick fans on social media, or in my neighborhood. You'd think Carmelo was on LeBron or Kobe's level the way they pump him up. They have no knowledge of history.

Carmelo is what he is....a legit scorer, but I never regarded him as a winning player. To me, he's always been about his 'brand' or 'legacy'. If he truly cared about winning, he would have gone to the Bulls a few years ago, right?

a little late to this one sorry...

some interesting records melo holds per his wiki page. to me, melo falls victim to being the fall guy of certain situations. Anthony building his "brand"/ self promotion is no different than the same stars of his generation. is NYK bad because of Melo or is it the management? i dont think he is in the same tier as the top stars in his era but still an accomplished player
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:47 pm

mp3 wrote:We took a chance on KP, loved and embraced him, made the Knicks HIS team and then he shits on us,good riddance

Fans booed him on draft night.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 am

The franchise took a chance and drafted him, Knicks fan boo everyone it means nothing nowadays
mp3

Postby Leander on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:13 am

Hi! Found this forum again as my old URL stopped working.

I have been a Knicks fan since 1993 and have gone through so much sadness and pain with the lack of a good team and bad decisions. After last year's season I was happy and thought Porzinigis would be the next franchise player...and finally someone to lead a team. He might become the next Nowitzki and if he won't develop that much, he will still be a very good player who's tall, quick and has a good shot. And now that trade...WHY? WHY? WHY? I am speechless! AGAIN the Knicks trade the best player...in the last years they have always made stupid moves, given away potential for mediocre players or a star who could not live up to his expectations.

Porzinigis was the best that happened to the Knicks, a potential leader and superstar.
Yes, some of the Knicks fans booed him but only because they didn't know him. You cannot dislike him after last year's season! He is gold!

Are the Knicks keen on setting negative records for back to back crappy seasons or "how often can we miss the playoffs?"

This is a nightmare, really.

Congratulations to the Mavericks! Porzingis, Doncic and Nowitzki as their mentor. Porzingis and Doncic will be unstoppable in three years.
Leander

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am

Welcome back Leander!

You do know KP made a trade request don't you?
mp3

Postby Leander on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:31 am

Yes I do! Still a sad day...if you have a franchise player you should treat him nicely...I don't know what happened behind closed doors though. I don't know how fans treated him or the organization. I only watch scores every few days but don't watch games anymore because I lost interest in high-scoring modern gameplay with lots of threes and the lack of defense and centers.

For Porzingis it's definitely a good move because Dallas is more European with Nowitzki and Doncic.
Leander

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:08 am

Sure it's a better situation for KP but not sure how the franchise can keep a player happy when they hand him the team,a team that due to injury he has only managed to play 196 games for so far in nearly 4 years and the front office said we won't trade our young core for for players we may be able to get via free agency (so not another Melo like trade) we were going to rebuild the right way through draft and free agency but the guy who hasn't played a minute this season wasn't happy with the losing when this clearly was a rebuilding year from the get go with him missing the whole year so you would think he would look at what could add, Zion? Kyrie? KD? Plus himself back and the young kids with a year of experience under there belt and think we got something to work with but no him and his brother wanted out.

You just that his brother has being a huge part of all this with of course being agent but look how the Mavs just sucked his ass for no reason in the press conference saying his brother is a big part of the franchise now, really so teams are now going to let every agent be a big part too? No they hate that when agents interfere the whole thing reminds me of LeBron and agent crew back in the day but hey at least that was LeBron what has KP done??
mp3

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 am

You could tell he already had issues with the organization in the Phil Jackson days, so him wanting out wasn't the biggest surprise
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am

Leander wrote:Hi! Found this forum again as my old URL stopped working.

Welcome back! Were you using nbaliveforums.com? We lost that years ago (our host at the time got it for us and didn't renew it) and whoever picked it up continued to redirect to us for a while, but not anymore. We've officially been using forums.nba-live.com for a while now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 am

Knicks back in action tonight Vs the Pistons and DSJ has had a couple of days to get used to things in NY, I won't mention the other two traded because Wes won't be a knick passed the deadline and I think Jordan will only last till the summer.

The trade happened, both parties didn't help the situation but it's a new day and we have to all move forward myself included so it's time to focus on developing our young core from here in out and see what he draft and free agency brings us!
mp3

Postby mp3 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Ok we lost but the Tank is still very real but on the bright side DSJ spent time shooting around just him and Frank at MSG the night before and said there excited to play together which I think they can complement each other.

Also watching DSJ Vs the Pistons reminds me of when we traded for Marbury, having that quick guard who can get into the lane attack or kick is always a threat.

In other news it seems that KP's brother Janis was looking to be more involved with the knicks franchise taking on a role of what I don't know but the Knicks front office were having non of it which is what contributed to the trade request oddly if it is all true but seeing how the Mavs kept bringing up Janis in the press conference suggests that there is something to it in which case I think the Knicks handled the situation pretty well behind closed doors.
mp3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball