2018-2019 Season Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2018-2019 Season Daily Discussion

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Derrick Rose surpassed the 10,000 career points mark today. On one hand, it's cool to see. He's been having a fine season and may be a contender for Sixth Man of the Year, and the fact that he's putting up numbers and hitting some career milestones is positive. On the other hand, it's a reminder of how much his injuries have derailed his career. Had he been healthy, it's a mark he could've hit around his fifth or sixth season, especially if he'd continued to average around what he did in his MVP year of 2011. Hopefully he can have a bit of a resurgence and solid career a la Grant Hill, but again, it's a reminder of time and opportunities lost that he's only just hitting the 500 game and 10,000 point mark in his tenth season (and what would actually be his eleventh season, had he not missed the entire 2013 campaign).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am

I was a D-Rose hater for a long time, but I can't resist getting excited about his resurgence. Reminds me a lot of Grant Hill's comeback, especially with him potentially getting an all-star nod. If he can manage to play at least 65 games, he should be the favorite to win the Sixth Man award. The NBA doesn't have a Comeback Player of the Year award for some reason - now would be a good time to add it.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am

I'm still a Rose hater, and he shouldn't be an all star starter ahead of guys like harden and Westbrook.

I don't see the novelty of him basically living up to his potential after he squandered it and basically gave up on multiple teams.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm

I agree that an All-Star nod would be a bit much to say the least, but dismissing his play as a "novelty" and suggesting he "squandered" his potential when he suffered setback after setback with injuries is more wide of the mark than Lonzo Ball when he's shooting free throws. :P
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:12 am

East All-Star Starters: Kyrie Irving (BOS) | Kemba Walker (CHA) | Kawhi Leonard (TOR) | [C] Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL) | Joel Embiid (PHI)

West All-Star Starters: Stephen Curry (GS) | James Harden (HOU) | Paul George (OKC) | Kevin Durant (GS) | [C] LeBron James (LAL)

I guess I'm just old school, but like rewarding division winners, allowing the fans to pick the all-star starters is something I'm sad to see go. The ten most popular players should be in the all-star game. If they people want to see Luka or Rose in the game, then they should play! Hell didn't freeze over when Yao, post-Achilles Kobe and last 2000's Iverson made the team. I suppose the counter argument would be that nobody watches the all-star game anyway, and it's more about awarding the players (fair, I look forward to the all-star selections way more than the game itself) but I don't see how someone like Zaza getting in would be a "nightmare" scenario for the league. The people who voted him in would love it.

Having said that, the starters that we got all should be there. Will be interesting to see who the reserves are... In the East, I'd go with Vucevic, Siakam, Griffin, Simmons, D'Angelo Russell, Beal and Sabonis (replacing Oladipo). In the West, Jokic, Gobert, KAT, AD, Lillard, Westbrook and Buddy Hield.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 am

I'm not a fan of the new Captains/No Conferences format, either. That wasn't the problem; the problem was that players weren't really trying or taking the game seriously. As I've said before, it was always more relaxed and an excuse to showboat, but it still resembled a competitive game of basketball for the most part. It wasn't just players running up and tossing up threes from 30 feet on every play. Highlights and high scores are meaningless if there's not even a token attempt at defense nor playing anything that resembles organised basketball, so I hope the trend continues to shift back towards a more entertaining game.

Fan voting worked for a long time, and at most, there'd be one or two starters who were questionable or arguably not the most deserving, but still made sense and were - at the end of the day - who the fans wanted to see. Considering the efforts to put someone completely silly in there I do understand the change in voting format, and with that in mind, I'd suggest we've collectively brought this change upon ourselves. It's a good counter to troll voting, but it also flies in the face of giving the fans the vote, and allowing for unexpected results and sentimental picks.

In any event, Luka Doncic isn't getting enough respect from his peers. It's been really odd to see how he's been downplayed and underestimated because he's from Europe. I mean, it's not like he's the first European player to enter the NBA, or that we don't have examples of how European players can be among the best in the league. You know, like that other guy he plays with; Dirk Something, I believe? Seriously, it's really odd to see in 2019. It'd make more sense thirty years ago before players from Europe had made a big impact on the NBA, now it just seems like envy and sour grapes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Everyone is begging Dirk & VC to hang it up, but I'm sad to see Wade go; seems a little premature, like he should have a season or two left in the tank.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm

He probably could play a little longer if he really wanted, but likely feels it's time. He's had some long years with all the deep Playoff runs and a lot of success in his career, so it's understandable that he feels ready to hang it up.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 am

Andrew wrote:In any event, Luka Doncic isn't getting enough respect from his peers. It's been really odd to see how he's been downplayed and underestimated because he's from Europe. I mean, it's not like he's the first European player to enter the NBA, or that we don't have examples of how European players can be among the best in the league. You know, like that other guy he plays with; Dirk Something, I believe? Seriously, it's really odd to see in 2019. It'd make more sense thirty years ago before players from Europe had made a big impact on the NBA, now it just seems like envy and sour grapes.

I think a big part of it might be that he's just a rookie. He's for sure on the bubble of the top 12 players in his conference, but perhaps he needs to "pay his dues" first.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:03 am

That's likely part of it as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 pm

I think that's what happened with Ben Simmons last year, who I felt had a shot to make the team
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:31 am

go Jahlil Okafor. he's been a punchline for years now but his last week. amazing. this great story is all due to Brow not wanting $1 billion
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 am

It's great to see Faried and Okafor having some standout games after being written off as obsolete in today's NBA.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Clutch jumper by Rondo after coming up with the fumbled rebound, beating the Celtics in Boston. Wild finish to a competitive game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 pm

Andrew wrote:Luka Doncic isn't getting enough respect from his peers. It's been really odd to see how he's been downplayed and underestimated because he's from Europe.

It's on like Donkey Kong.

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:48 am

Well, I suppose in the current NBA, you don't have to worry about pesky details like interior defense or travelling calls. It probably helps.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby tacitus kilgore on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Sometimes I feel the basketball development machine is jealous that they haven't been able to present an American white superstar type player, guys like Adam Morrison and Fredette didn't pan out and Kevin Love is a decent third option. So when these pale as snow kids from backwater Lithuania come over with way more experience, the Americans get butthurt lol. Could be misreading the situation.
tacitus kilgore

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am

Earlier in the thread I was complaining about both teams wearing away jerseys, but look at the celebrity game... wtf? It's like turquoise vs. light gray; have we become tired of being able to distinguish teams? I am colorblind, but don't believe that's inhibiting my experience in any way.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:21 pm

I didn't find it too bad, but they could've been a little more distinct. The Team USA and Team World jerseys are better in that regard.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Furious rally by the Celtics, but not a good shot by Smart towards the end there. Four point swing, and an abrupt end to the comeback attempt.

Meanwhile, in the Lakers/Pelicans game, listening to Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy commentate together is pretty entertaining.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm

A little late on this, but still:

phpBB [video]

Andrew wrote:Meanwhile, in the Lakers/Pelicans game, listening to Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy commentate together is pretty entertaining.

Yes, that was the highlight.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:15 pm

Andrew wrote:Furious rally by the Celtics, but not a good shot by Smart towards the end there. Four point swing, and an abrupt end to the comeback attempt.

Meanwhile, in the Lakers/Pelicans game, listening to Jeff Van Gundy and Stan Van Gundy commentate together is pretty entertaining.

It was hilarious. I wish I got to see the whole game. At one point, they showed a picture of them as babies and Stan went on about how he continues to be the "cute one" and what it takes to be cute lmao
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Best thing they've done since they had a recently retired Jon Barry interview the still active Brent Barry (so yeah, going back a bit on that one).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Vince Carter somehow logged more minutes than his age tonight. :shock:
[Hyperize]

Postby [Q] on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:00 am

Well, it was necessary when the game goes into quadruple overtime lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate