Timberwolves fire Tom Thibodeau

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Timberwolves fire Tom Thibodeau

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 am

Timberwolves reportedly fire head coach and president Tom Thibodeau

Just over a year ago, Tom Thibodeau went all-in on the Timberwolves winning now by cashing in several trade chips for Jimmy Butler. And after the superstar forced his way out of Minnesota earlier this season, Thibodeau’s days were seemingly numbered, but now things have reached a breaking point.

According to a report from The Athletic’s Shams Charania, the Timberwolves are letting their president and head coach go after a rough first three years with the franchise.

General manager Scott Layden will remain at his post, and assistant Ryan Saunders will fill in as the interim head coach. Meanwhile, the Timberwolves already have their eyes on another head coach with connections to Minnesota.

Weird timing coming off a big win, and a little unfair given the circumstances beyond his control. Thibs did lead them back to the postseason for the first time in fourteen years, and while the split with Jimmy Butler was rough, the fact that Butler's now clashing with Brett Brown in Philadelphia suggests that that the problem is with him, not his coaches.

Also, just to make the situation even more interesting/amusing...

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote:Fred Hoiberg is a serious consideration of Minnesota owner Glen Taylor to become either the GM or head coach in the future, league sources tell ESPN. Hoiberg was an assistant GM in Minnesota prior to Iowa State. Scott Layden remains GM now.

I think this sums it up.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Timberwolves fire Tom Thibodeau

Postby benji on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am

i actually lol'd when i read the Hoiberg thing, just take all the Bulls cast offs why don't ya, Jabari Parker to show up next
benji

Re: Timberwolves fire Tom Thibodeau

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 am

I'd be alright with that, as long as GarPax doesn't give up a lottery pick to make the deal happen. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball