Wayback Wednesday: Timberwolves Franchise in NBA Live 2003

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Wayback Wednesday: All-Time College DLC for NBA 2K17

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:38 pm

October 3rd, 2018: All-Time College DLC for NBA 2K17

Downloadable content hasn't been too common for basketball video games over the years. Compared to RPGs with their expansion packs and fighting games with their myriad of DLC characters, NBA Live and NBA 2K have generally stuck with the "recurrent revenue" model to earn additional income from their annual releases. There has been some DLC for hoops titles though, from the free Oklahoma City logo update for NBA Live 09 to NBA 2K12's Legends Showcase that cost $10 (or 800 Microsoft Points).

The NBA 2K series has featured some DLC as recently as NBA 2K17, however. In addition to offering up the 1992 Dream Team as a pre-order bonus, 2K also released an All-Time College DLC pack. The pack, which was available around launch and exclusive to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions, expanded the roster of bonus teams with some college content; a rarity in the wake of the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. I realise that NBA 2K17 is still a fairly recent game, but let's take a look back...a little way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: BIG Moments in NBA Live 14

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 pm

October 10th, 2018: BIG Moments in NBA Live 14

Since I covered NBA 2K17's College DLC last week, I'd say it isn't too soon to go back to the beginning of the current generation of NBA Live this time. It's been a long time since EA Sports' game was the premiere NBA sim, and this generation has once again seen the game rebuilding over the course of a few years, as it's fought to regain its share of the market. The process has had its up and downs and it seems to be paying off with NBA Live 19, but even when the series was in rough shape, there were flashes of brilliance and good concepts. One of those ideas was BIG Moments.

A fresh mode that brought dynamic content to the game, BIG Moments is an idea that EA Sports could stand to revisit in future releases, even as NBA Live explores new modes of play such as LIVE Events and Court Battles. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Decade All-Stars in NBA Live

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm

October 17th, 2018: Decade All-Stars in NBA Live

I've mentioned the Decade All-Stars in several previous articles, including my first look back at Legends in Wayback Wednesday, my NBA Live 2000 retrospective, and as an example of content that I'd like to see return. However, apart from a profile of the 50s All-Stars on the anniversary of the BAA-NBL merger to form the NBA in 1949, I haven't yet dedicated an entire feature to talking about those squads. Given how popular they were, and how much I personally enjoyed having them, it's time to rectify that with a long overdue retrospective.

A lot of older basketball gamers who played NBA Live back in the day no doubt remember the Decade All-Stars quite fondly. It's interesting that many of us do feel nostalgic for them now, considering how they were the original attempt to capitalise on nostalgia in basketball video games. For those who remember them, and for those who don't know what all the fuss is about, let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Bonus Teams in NBA Live

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm

October 24th, 2018: Bonus Teams in NBA Live

In the years following Lakers vs Celtics, it was a big deal when NBA games finally included the entire league. Once that became standard, we eventually reached a point where some sort of additional content was expected. NBA 2K has set the bar here with its historical teams, but there was a time when EA's series was also going above and beyond simply featuring the current NBA rosters. These efforts include the Decade All-Star teams, which I talked about last week, as well as the FIBA squads that would be added in later NBA Live games.

Those weren't the only playable squads outside of the NBA teams, though. I discussed the unlockable developer teams in a previous Wayback Wednesday, but in the years that followed that era, NBA Live featured a number of other bonus teams. While they weren't necessarily as unique as the developer teams, or as exciting as the Decade All-Stars and FIBA squads, they were still noteworthy additions to NBA Live's rosters. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: NBA Jam TE PC No Points Challenge

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 pm

October 31st, 2018: NBA Jam TE PC No Points Challenge

It's been far too long since I made a video feature, despite my intention to produce more video content this year. Better late than never though, as I had a fun idea for this week's Wayback Wednesday. Whenever I played NBA Jam Tournament Edition solo back in the day, I tended to play with Tag Mode off, and scored most of the team's points with the player I was controlling. However, playing point guard for our Pro-Am squad in NBA 2K has given me a taste for racking up assists, which left me to wonder: can I win a game of NBA Jam TE with my CPU teammate scoring all of our points?

I fired up my old favourite, and gave the No Points Challenge a shot. Let's take a look back...way back...

phpBB [video]

https://youtu.be/sImBwxnI0SM
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Bonus Teams in NBA 2K

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 pm

November 7th, 2018: Bonus Teams in NBA 2K

A couple of weeks ago, I took a look back at the bonus teams that were featured in older NBA Live games. While NBA 2K has become better known for providing basketball gamers with a wide selection of historical squads, it has also featured a variety of bonus teams from Decade All-Stars and developer teams to sports brand and Draft Class squads. While some of them certainly were not essential, they did inject a little extra fun into the game. As with the bonus teams in NBA Live, they provided a means of shaking things up with an enjoyable change of pace.

These bonus teams may now be overshadowed by a bevy of historical content in the form of retro and All-Time squads, but they're still an important part of NBA 2K's history of going above and beyond the bare minimum of including all the current NBA teams. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Ultimate Team in NBA Live 14

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:13 pm

November 14th, 2018: Ultimate Team in NBA Live 14

The concept of Ultimate Team actually originated in EA Sports' UEFA Champions League 2006-2007, released for the Xbox 360. It didn't debut in the FIFA series until FIFA 09, launching in March 2009 as paid downloadable content. Other games in the EA Sports lineup began adopting their own versions of Ultimate Team, with Madden adding the mode as free DLC for Madden 10 in January 2010, and NHL 11 including it at launch. It has since become a staple game mode in EA Sports games, alongside the various franchise and career experiences.

However, with the NBA Live series being derailed by the attempted revamping and rebranding with NBA Elite 11, it wouldn't be until the release of NBA Live 14 that we finally saw Live Ultimate Team. It was reasonably solid upon its debut, and while it hasn't been greatly expanded upon in subsequent games, it remains a mode with a lot of potential. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Trivia in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:02 pm

November 21st, 2018: Trivia in Basketball Games

Wait a minute, I hear you saying. Don't most of my Wayback Wednesday features concern trivia about basketball games, specifically titles that are at least a few years old? Well, yes, but this time, I'm talking about the way that basketball games have literally indulged in trivia, presenting gamers with questions that they can answer as well as listing interesting NBA facts. So yes, I am getting a little meta here, presenting some trivia about trivia in basketball games! After all, it's something that has been featured in various titles over the years, dating way back to the mid 90s.

It may seem like an unusual feature to focus upon, but I do believe that it's part of the nostalgia for some beloved favourites. It's also a concept that has evolved over time, and come to be used for more practical and tangible purposes. With that being said, let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:36 am

On an "Interactive Special" week for 2KTV too, tisk tisk. (since 2K16)

And not mentioning the Streetball trivia loading into Blacktop the past few years, tisk tisk tisk tisk tisk!
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:40 am

I did actually mean to mention the interactive specials, having touched upon them in Monday Tip-Off. I'll admit to not playing enough Blacktop to know that. I know, I know. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: My NBA Live 06 Dynasty

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 pm

November 28th, 2018: My NBA Live 06 Dynasty

Even as the years have gone by and technology has allowed basketball video games to get better and better, we still have our all-time favourites from yesteryear. As I've said in previous Wayback Wednesday features, it can be a lot of fun to revisit old games - it's one of the main reasons I do flashback content every week - but some of them do show their age, making it difficult to spend a lot of time with them. On the other hand, some games are easier to stick with or revisit time and time again, with their overall experience being just as satisfying years later.

For me, an example of such a game would be NBA Live 06 PC. The reason I've been able to dust it off time and time again is because I've kept the save file of one of my all-time favourite basketball gaming experiences, namely my Dynasty game with the Chicago Bulls. It's a game that spawned not one but two Dynasty story topics, so I felt that it would only be appropriate to reminisce about it in a Wayback Wednesday article. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: DBF Files in NBA Live

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:08 pm

December 5th, 2018: DBF Files in NBA Live

Our community has produced several amazing mods over the years. We've been able to go from fairly basic roster updates to comprehensive total conversions, and a wide variety of tweaks and enhancements. Of course, some games have been easier to mod than others. The feasibility of modding a game generally comes down to the format and structure of the files; the easier they are to decode and manipulate, the easier it's been to develop tools to edit them. At times, developers have gone out of their way to make this task easier. CustomArt is one such example, while DBF files are another.

In short, the adoption of DBF files greatly expanded what we were able to accomplish with roster editing in NBA Live. It's easily one of the most important developments in the history of our modding community, so let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 am

DBF editing was one of the easiest mods to make (with the NBA Live Toolkit for MS Access)

It was awesome when I found out about that, as I used it to update names of arenas, update names of rookies I added (due to the 8 character limit), update the Roster Player, and playoff seedings
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:50 am

Ah NBA Live DBF file editing, thr only reason I have MS Access back then. Good times.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 am

It was fantastic. As I said, even when the Toolkits ended, we still had DB Commander and Excel.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Mentors in NBA 2K15's MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 pm

December 12th, 2018: Mentors in NBA 2K15's MyCAREER

NBA 2K15 stands out as quite a noteworthy game in the NBA 2K series. It was the first time that the PlayStation 4/Xbox One version was ported to PC, and the first PC release to be available exclusively through Steam with no disc-based physical copies. The game also continued the story-driven MyCAREER concept, becoming the first game in which you didn't start your rookie season on opening night. The story of how you make it to the league featured cameos from NBA players who acted as mentors, with the real players voicing their virtual counterparts in cutscenes.

On one hand, this was an improvement over similar cutscenes in NBA 2K14, in which the MyPLAYER character was voiced while the NBA players' dialogue was just text. On the other hand, many of their performances were notoriously and hilariously bad, as discussed in an article over on Cracked a couple of years ago. Nevertheless, it was an idea that had merit, influencing presentation and features in subsequent games. At the very least, there's some humour to be found with the mentors in NBA 2K15, so let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Dev Console in NBA Live 2003 PC

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 pm

December 19th, 2018: Dev Console in NBA Live 2003 PC

During what I'm unofficially dubbing the Golden Age of NBA Live, the PC release was often the definitive version of the game. If nothing else, there was so much that our modding community could do with it. Even when certain games fell short of our expectations, we'd do all we could to enhance them with mods. In the process, we discovered a lot of hidden content and features. One interesting feature that we found but didn't really utilise all that often was the dev console in NBA Live 2003.

While the presence of a developer/debug console isn't unusual in other types of video games, they don't appear all that often in basketball titles. One might argue that there's less use for the functionality when it comes to the virtual hardwood, but there are still a couple of nifty things that were possible with the dev console in NBA Live 2003. I had some fun with it in a Dumb Mondays feature around four years ago, but I feel that it deserves a Wayback Wednesday profile as well. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: My NBA Live 2004 Dynasty

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:27 pm

December 26th, 2018: My NBA Live 2004 Dynasty

In a Wayback Wednesday feature a month ago, I reminisced about my NBA Live 06 Dynasty with the Chicago Bulls. It was one of my all-time favourite experiences on the virtual hardwood, and at the time, I enjoyed documenting it in the Stories section of our Forum. It wasn't my first story topic however, nor was it my only memorable Dynasty game. A couple of years earlier, I'd taken control of the Bulls in NBA Live 2004, playing through a season of ups and downs on route to what was an unlikely championship to say the least.

What was originally meant to just be a first look at the newly renamed and revamped Dynasty mode would turn into an experience that had me hooked for several months. Although I'd been a fan of the franchise concept since it was introduced back in NBA Live 2000, I would suggest my NBA Live 2004 Dynasty is what really solidified my appreciation for the mode. Join me as I take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Ultimate Base Roster Retrospective

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:47 pm

January 2nd, 2019: Ultimate Base Roster Retrospective

The Ultimate Base Roster, also known as UBR, began as a roster update for NBA 2K12 that also expanded upon the game's historical content. Over time, it grew into a comprehensive modding project that not only kept NBA 2K12 up to date, but allowed basketball gamers to step back into the past with multiple complete season mods and other fun content. The project would later be adapted for NBA 2K14, a release that has received an update just today. Gamers have been enjoying UBR for years now, and it's even encouraged long-time console users to pick up the PC versions.

Want to know more about the history of the mod, and what it's been like to maintain it for all these years? Check out my interview with UBR creator HAWK23, as we take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Old School Introduction Videos

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 pm

January 9th, 2019: Old School Introduction Videos

I've been producing Wayback Wednesday as a weekly feature since November 2015, and yet somehow, I've never discussed the introduction videos that were featured in old basketball games. I've talked about music, and I even posted a breakdown of NBA 2K12's introduction video with comparisons to the real highlight clips, but I've yet to profile the intros that greeted us upon firing up some of our old favourites, despite the fact it's a very obvious choice of topic for a Wayback Wednesday feature. Well, better late than never, right?

Lengthy introduction videos are seemingly being phased out, but you certainly don't have to be a grizzled basketball gamer in your 30s to remember them. However, there was something special about the intros in old school basketball games. If you watch them today, you might just feel pumped up to play those old titles again, just as you were all those years ago. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The NLSC Wishlists

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 pm

January 16th, 2019: The NLSC Wishlists

Wishlist season is upon us again! We're compiling our Wishlists for NBA Live 20 and NBA 2K20, so even though Wayback Wednesday is about looking back at the past, I would like to take the opportunity to encourage everyone to look to the future and help us compile comprehensive feedback for EA and 2K to put to use in developing this year's games. As we discussed in Episode #270 of the NLSC Podcast, it doesn't do us any good if we keep our feedback and suggestions to ourselves. Our Wishlists can't guarantee the additions and changes we want, but they at least have a chance.

Of course, I understand the scepticism that my fellow basketball gamers often express when it comes time to compile our Wishlists. If you're not seeing the improvements that you desire, it can feel like a pointless exercise; especially if you find yourself repeating the same points year after year. I do believe that our Wishlists have had a positive impact on the games though, and we only need to look back at some of them to see that they've been worthwhile. Let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: The Weirdest NBA Tall Tale I Ever Heard

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

January 23rd, 2019: The Weirdest NBA Tall Tale I Ever Heard

Although the Internet is a place of much subjective debate when it comes to the NBA, it offers plenty of resources for looking up objective statistics, records, and other such information. That makes it more difficult to concoct rumours, and try to trick your fellow fans with tall tales. I recently remembered the weirdest tall tale that someone told me back in the 90s: that Michael Jordan was originally drafted by the Charlotte Hornets! It got me thinking about how this bizarre tall tale originated, so I've decided to re-tell the story using clips from NBA 2K19. Let's take a look back...way back...

phpBB [video]

https://youtu.be/9sFewO7RvWg
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Wayback Wednesday: Cheat Codes in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:46 pm

January 30th, 2019: Cheat Codes in Basketball Video Games

When it comes to video game nostalgia, a feature that many of us old school gamers remember fondly is the cheat code. These days, accelerating progress in most games comes down to pay-to-win mechanics, but once upon a time, we used cheat codes in the form of passwords and button combinations. While cheat codes aren't completely outmoded, they seem to be far less common than they once were. In basketball games, they've generally been phased out over the past generation or so.

It's kind of a shame. While they aren't necessary - especially in sim games - they were often fun ways of altering the gameplay experience, and hid some cool secrets. Some games used them to unlock new content with the codes being revealed at some point post-launch; something of a precursor to the content updates we now see. There have been quite a few memorable cheat codes in basketball video games over the years, so let's take a look back...way back...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 am

Dunk code with hotspots was always fun to play
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am

Nine point dunk from the opposite paint. Good times!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard