Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 am

I had guessed a Charlotte interruption and turn but I guess it does make more sense to have a Nia and Tamina distraction leading to a loss to build heat for their title match. Ronda losing that way wouldn't be the worst thing since it isn't a title match
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am

I saw someone on Reddit suggest a finish like Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 13 where Becky refuses to tap out, if Ronda is the one going over. While it would be a shame to have her lose, I think she's so over she could weather it. Ronda has also proven herself to be a natural, and shows up every week, so I don't mind her being protected and pushed. The inevitable result of Lesnar vs. Styles is a much worse state of affairs, in my view.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:39 am

Aaaaannnnddd that match is apparently canceled. I think apart from that, Becky is also concussed. I've read that her injury was because of a stiff Nia Jax shot to the face.

Kinda sad because this is the only match I'm looking forward to on Survivor Series (which is a pretty hastily-built up PPV due to lack of time in-between PPVs).

I also read some scenarios that may lead Becky to Raw which hopefully they don't pull off because it's better to be far away from Raw.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Good job, Nia. :roll: Not the first time her in-ring work has been sloppy.

In other news...a Daniel Bryan heel turn as he wins the championship?!? Wow.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Huh, totally out of nowhere. But why turn him heel and then have him face Brock? I think maybe a heel turn later after the Lesnar match would have been more appropriate (but doing it now makes it like a cliffhanger for the next Smackdown episode).

Eh, but I still see Brock going over on Sunday because Raw is the superior show, right?

EDIT: But it could be part of a narrative as well, have Bryan beat Brock and use that as a catalyst for his storyline with AJ by putting the "I beat Brock and you didn't so I'm better than you" angle in.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:15 pm

It's an interesting twist, at least. If he's willing to fight dirty, then a win over Lesnar might also be more feasible. Still, I don't fancy the prospect of Bryan taking a bunch of German suplexes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Oh man, imagine if he gets concussed because of how sloppy Brock sometimes is.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:23 pm

The Singh brothers come to mind. Also, Charlotte is the replacement.

phpBB [video]

Interesting character turn there as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Man, so I tuned in excited to see a continuation to build for the match, and we get the rug pulled out from under us thanks to a nasty punch from Nia Jax. Then a truly shocking turn of events with Bryan turning heel and winning the title from Styles.

I don't know what to think about all this right now
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Trips doesn't want his boy AJ Styles to be squashed by Brock.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Dang it, that swollen face looks nasty. She might have a broken nose as well. But oh boy, Becky is so over!

That handshake and hug with Charlotte at the end... could be a face turn? Or a sign that she'll then screw Charlotte on Survivor Series. Plus since it was said to be a concussion, would they have Becky drop the title? But please keep Becky on Smackdown. Vince may have noticed her getting this hot and decides to put her on Raw only to be fed to Ronda.

EDIT: Should've picked Asuka, though.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm guessing she's going to be properly presented as a Stone Cold-type face from here on out, which is how they should've been playing it all along (as noted several times before). It isn't the ideal situation, but a lot of the best things in WWE history have come about through serendipity, including Stone Cold himself. This could be another, as it means Becky won't be taking a loss to Ronda Rousey, but she's still way over, still the champion, and her character remains intact (and arguably better than before).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:24 pm

I feel like the move for Becky here is to keep her out, have her be a surprise entrant into the Women's Royal Rumble, win it, and challenge Ronda at WrestleMania. She's so unbelievably over, and her character is just incredible right now. I think it would be way over (transparency: I read someone else say this and agree wholeheartedly with it; it is not an original thought of mine)
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:50 pm

That'd move her over to RAW, though. I'd rather she stayed on Smackdown.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Me, too. I think people who get moved to Raw one way or another flounder, except if you're The Shield, Ronda, Brock, or Alexa Bliss. But I do see bigh0rt's point and I think it's a high possibility if they have Becky drop the title because of injury.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 pm

It's definitely an option if they have her forfeit the belt. Hopefully she's cleared before that has to happen. It's also going to look extremely silly if they strip her because in storyline she can't defend it within 30 days, yet Lesnar will go two or three months without a defense (or a single non-wrestling appearance, in some cases).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 am

bigh0rt wrote:I feel like the move for Becky here is to keep her out, have her be a surprise entrant into the Women's Royal Rumble, win it, and challenge Ronda at WrestleMania. She's so unbelievably over, and her character is just incredible right now. I think it would be way over (transparency: I read someone else say this and agree wholeheartedly with it; it is not an original thought of mine)

I think it would be dumb to pull the belt off of the hottest woman on their roster when she will be back soon. Like this week she can still show up and do promos.
Since champions don't participate in the Royal Rumble, she could get her Ronda match then, unless they want to save it for Mania.

Interesting to read that Bryan has been lobbying for a turn for a while. I actually agree with this as after the initial high from his return has faded, he's gone a bit stale. He can go back to his "No!" bit or hell even do the sarcastic Yes like he originally did when he started the whole damn thing as a heel.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 am

Turning heel was definitely worth a shot, especially with the way that WWE handles faces. I thought they were going to have AJ beat CM Punk's record with the belt, but I suppose they already put him in rare company by having the reign go over a year. It's also more impactful for Bryan's heel turn, and I doubt Styles will be completely forgotten.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:41 pm

phpBB [video]
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:46 pm

NXT Takeover predictions because I'm completely not sold on Survivor Series: I've got Ciampa, Kairi (with Io debuting to help fend off Shayna's friends), Gargano, War Raiders/RIchochet/Dunne.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:30 am

Yeah, with Becky off the show, I'm debating whether I'll even watch it now. Definitely looking forward to takeover more.

Ciampa, Black, and Undisputed Era will all pick up wins. I'd say Shayna is unlikely to lose so quickly after winning it, but the Io debut would make sense. Also,if they plan on moving her up then having her lose would also make sense
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 am

Hopefully, they give Io her MYC theme back. Plus I still think that they'll give Johnny the title somehow on WrestleMania weekend. Probably a long redemption arc? I think after his feud with Gargano, Aleister Black is going up the main roster (as much as I don't like NXT callups anymore).
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah, let's just say NXT call-ups seem to have a really low "success" rate, as they're fighting for time against well-established guys. Look at the biggest NXT (in this current iteration) alumni KO, Finn, Nakamura, Joe being buried on the midcard.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am

On the other hand, the Women's division has really benefited from NXT call-ups. Owens and Finn have also been Universal champion; it may seem like a worthless title since putting it on Brock Lesnar has kept it off TV for much of its existence, but it's still recognised as a world title. Nakamura won the Rumble and had a WWE Championship match at Wrestlemania, while Joe has had several title shots at events this year. They are kind of stuck in limbo at the moment, but I wouldn't say they've been completely buried either. Finn is probably the closest to it, though they have been quite protective of his Demon alter ego at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Yes, I would agree the women have done relatively well. Even with the 4 horsewomen, we saw Alexa and Carmella come from obscurity to become champions. Meanwhile, Asukas language barrier seemed to have held her back. Hell, even Becky's supposed language barrier reportedly hurt her as well

I feel like the men, however, all get an initial push probably from HHH, only to have Vince sour on them and not use them
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic