The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The defense overall is terrible this year - On the league, not the players

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:51 am

The pace being up makes sense. I've seen quite a few games especially the Lakers games where it's like 7 seconds or less where both teams are just trying to score as quickly as possible, even if it means turning the ball over
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm

[Q] wrote:Oh for sure you got kids that grew up watching Curry jack up 3s and they want to be just like him.

Anybody think that there might be an off chance of some kid, somewhere, growing up thinking: "I'm gonna stop guys like him."

This was always my motivation. I used to play soccer and basketball for most of my life. I always took pride in being a tough mother to beat. I knew there are guys way more creative and skilled than me on the other side of the court. At 5'10'', I'm not gonna stop big guys consistently. I'd be ashamed if I didn't try anyway, though. But lately, whenever I fight for position or cut my opponent off on his way to the rim, they'll call foul on me. That's what really bugs me about the NBA lately: kids learning just one dimension of the game, taking dumb shots, gambling on D, waiting for somebody to blow the whistle if you touch them. I'm turning 39 tomorrow, btw. It's ridiculous: gramps stops a guy half his age from getting to the hoop by playing smart, focused and experienced defense - and they call foul when they plow through my chest shoulder first and miss the layup. They even dare call me out for fouling intentionally. They tell me I have no skills because I don't jack up 3s in peoples' faces and I don't ankle break my defender instead of passing it to my wide open teammate. It's disrespectful not only towards me, but towards the game. Appreciate the game, you sissies.

Rant over. I just realized - I'm that old guy now.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Possibly. Right now, it seems everyone's trying to emulate him and what the Warriors are doing, but they're tough to beat at their own game. Eventually, someone who's adept at scoring in the post is going to recognise that the soft defense and soft foul calls would let a traditional big be a monster down low, and we're going to see another mini-revolution where teams realise they've been so focused on the perimeter, they've forgotten about the interior. If Shaq were in his prime and playing today, he'd been even more ridiculously dominant.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Andrew wrote:If Shaq were in his prime and playing today, he'd been even more ridiculously dominant.

Yeah, and he'd foul out after 10 minutes, because people would just crash into him all the time.
debiler

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 pm

With the way they're favouring offensive players these days, he might get some of the calls he didn't when he played because he absorbed so much punishment because of his size.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby debiler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Andrew wrote:With the way they're favouring offensive players these days, he might get some of the calls he didn't when he played because he absorbed so much punishment because of his size.

I bet we'd see even more of his coast-to-coast runs. Man, I loved Shaq. Nowadays, my opinion of him is a bit warped because of the way he presents himself on TNT from time to time. Then again, the man used to bully people on the court, too. Why would that change?
debiler

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Hell of a player. Forgettable analyst.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:07 am

debiler wrote:
[Q] wrote:Oh for sure you got kids that grew up watching Curry jack up 3s and they want to be just like him.

Anybody think that there might be an off chance of some kid, somewhere, growing up thinking: "I'm gonna stop guys like him."

This was always my motivation. I used to play soccer and basketball for most of my life. I always took pride in being a tough mother to beat. I knew there are guys way more creative and skilled than me on the other side of the court. At 5'10'', I'm not gonna stop big guys consistently. I'd be ashamed if I didn't try anyway, though. But lately, whenever I fight for position or cut my opponent off on his way to the rim, they'll call foul on me. That's what really bugs me about the NBA lately: kids learning just one dimension of the game, taking dumb shots, gambling on D, waiting for somebody to blow the whistle if you touch them. I'm turning 39 tomorrow, btw. It's ridiculous: gramps stops a guy half his age from getting to the hoop by playing smart, focused and experienced defense - and they call foul when they plow through my chest shoulder first and miss the layup. They even dare call me out for fouling intentionally. They tell me I have no skills because I don't jack up 3s in peoples' faces and I don't ankle break my defender instead of passing it to my wide open teammate. It's disrespectful not only towards me, but towards the game. Appreciate the game, you sissies.

Rant over. I just realized - I'm that old guy now.

Man, i don't play much anymore, but when I do the thing that I always have is my defense. My shot may be off but I'll never forget my love for playing good defense.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 am

D- sounds like you need to find another gym or league to play in. much love for the gramps/defense
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby debiler on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 am

Yeah, sometimes I feel like a milky white half-size Charles Oakley out there...
debiler

Postby Maxie the Miner on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 am

Yes, the pendulum has swung too far. The balance between offense and defense is gone and basketball without hard-nosed defense lacks authenticity. All sizzle-no steak. :shake:
Hoops gaming favorites: Lakers vs Celtics (SEGA), NBA Live 95 (SNES), NBA Live 97 (PSOne) College Hoops 2K8 (XBOX 360), NBA 2K11 (PC), NBA 2K13 Vintage Mod (PC)
Maxie the Miner

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 am

Teams have adjusted so there's less teams scoring 140 but it still happens on occasion
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Maxie the Miner wrote:Yes, the pendulum has swung too far. The balance between offense and defense is gone and basketball without hard-nosed defense lacks authenticity. All sizzle-no steak. :shake:

Highlights aren't as exciting when there isn't any resistance to make them earned.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball