Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Lamrock on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 am

If you go to Vancouver, let me know! I live about an hour South of there and wouldn't mind an excuse to take visit Canada
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Definitely. I want to make an effort to see Canada this time around, and I'm not sure I'll have the time to go too far east this trip, so Vancouver is the most obvious option.

You've also reminded me that Seattle is easy to get to by bus, so that could be an option for my itinerary as well on my way back through America before my last flight back to Australia.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 pm

So yeah, I left the office in 2016 to directly work as a graphic designer and banner ads animator for a long-time foreign client which runs an ecommerce services company (I may have mentioned this before). When their customer, the guys that outsourced the banner ad projects to them -- and in effect, to me -- left suddenly, I was left in limbo and my client had me do other stuff that's out of my skillset: mainly blogging about ecommerce and customer service through voice. I made a few animated informational videos for them before we parted ways early 2017.

I worked for a former colleague from the same office I left from in 2016 to work on a previous client, continuing to work on HTML5 banner ads through the rest of the year up until mid-March this year when the projects were "on-pause." I haven't heard from this colleague for months so I decided to just look for another job (which is difficult given that I'm older now and companies don't like hiring old people).

So then I landed a job as a video editor for a popular YouTube channel with 10 million subscribers. I started as a part-time editor last May and did their intro stingers as part of their new video formats and started doing episodes full-time in mid-June. Everything's running smooth so far, I was featured (along the rest of the team behind the channel) in their 10 million subscribers appreciation video.

I'm enjoying the daily work as it presents challenges and it doesn't feel repetitive because of the variety of stuff they produce, but I really hope that this job would last longer than the last two I had.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 am

Well, in my case I was off the forums for almost four years. It has been a rough patch. I did have a job (which I'm still not sure if I liked or hated, it was just... there.) Still single, not A LOT of friends, but thankfully they have always been there for me. Movies have been a nice way to clean off steam. At the end of October it will be five months without a job. My family has been supporting me, but here in Argentina, it's not an easy situation. Hopefully everything resolves soon.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 am

spiderxx7 wrote:Well, in my case I was off the forums for almost four years. It has been a rough patch. I did have a job (which I'm still not sure if I liked or hated, it was just... there.) Still single, not A LOT of friends, but thankfully they have always been there for me. Movies have been a nice way to clean off steam. At the end of October it will be five months without a job. My family has been supporting me, but here in Argentina, it's not an easy situation. Hopefully everything resolves soon.

If it's of any solace, five months isn't a terribly long time to be unemployed. Before my current job, I spent the best part of a year unemployed, looking for jobs after my postgrad degree. I even contemplated going back to the career I essentially went back to school to avoid. Thankfully, after over 100 job applications, one company decided to take a chance on me and I just recently celebrated one year with them. So, just stick with it, remain patient and your luck should turn around sooner or later (just noticed that your post was from almost two weeks ago, so disregard this if it already has :lol:).
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am

Kenny wrote:If it's of any solace, five months isn't a terribly long time to be unemployed. Before my current job, I spent the best part of a year unemployed, looking for jobs after my postgrad degree. I even contemplated going back to the career I essentially went back to school to avoid. Thankfully, after over 100 job applications, one company decided to take a chance on me and I just recently celebrated one year with them. So, just stick with it, remain patient and your luck should turn around sooner or later (just noticed that your post was from almost two weeks ago, so disregard this if it already has :lol:).

Thanks a lot, Kenny. Nah, nothing so far. :wall: I know it's a matter of time, hopefully. I just don't want to borrow any more money from my parents and I'm gonna be* 29 next year, so the idea of moving out has to come rather sooner than later.
Last edited by kibaxx7 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
× Watching:
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:14 am

I was unemployed for two years or so, eventually you get into something
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am

It's definitely not fun. Keep your head up, and best of luck with the job hunt. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm

Job hunting is definitely frustrating. You just have to stay patient and never give up because one of these days you'll definitely land a job.

Before this current gig I have, I was unemployed for a almost half a year. Even tried applying for jobs that I thought I'd land easily but ended up rejected as well, but I didn't let up and just submitted applications to whatever job I feel I'm qualified for.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:14 pm

If nothing else, try man-whoring yourself.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby kibaxx7 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:35 pm

shadowgrin wrote:If nothing else, try man-whoring yourself.

This is not that bad of an idea. :lol:
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am

Just arrived in Denver last night and I have to say, the altitude here is a real thing. I managed to get a couple of hours of sleep, but since I'm not acclimatised to the thinner, drier air here, I couldn't sleep for any longer. I asked the hotel reception for a humidifier, so I'm hoping that can help a bit... but yeah, I totally understand now why the Nuggets had such a strong home advantage for a number of years.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:45 am

Reckon that'd knock me around a bit as well. Did you end up getting tickets to a game?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:07 am

Yep, I'm going to tonight's game against the Nets and Sunday's game versus the Bucks. I wasn't sure about going to tonight's game, but I thought I owed it to myself to try and catch as many games as possible since I might not get this opportunity again (at least in the foreseeable future).
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:07 am

Awesome!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kenny on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:26 am

Aside from the play that ultimately won the Nets the game, it was a lot of fun to watch live. I remember looking up at the scoreboard just before halftime and thinking "holy shit, Nikola Jokic already has a 20-10 game", so that was pretty special. They also paid tribute to Kenneth Faried, since it was his first time back in Denver since the trade (admittedly it was something I completely forgot about when buying the ticket). It was just a shame that he got a DNP on the night, I would have loved to have seen him play - even in an opposing uniform. But he pretty much got a standing ovation from the crowd, so that was cool.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:40 am

Sounds like a great time, even though it wasn't the result you wanted. Did you pick up any merch?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Great to hear that Kenny! You had to pick up some merch, right?
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Postby Kenny on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 am

I didn't pick up any merch after the Nets game. I was still struggling with altitude sickness, so my first instinct was to go back to my hotel and sleep it off (which I more or less did, thankfully).

I am, however, going to the game tonight against the Bucks. So that'll probably be my opportunity to get some merch :)
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:22 am

As it's almost a calendar year since my troubles started I thought I'd just give a quick update on my situation.

Ive been living on my own for 7 months now, I see my daughter a few times a week and have a good relationship with her mum. In England as you are probably aware of we are embanking on leaving the EU next month and it is really affecting the job market here in the UK. I've worked 5 out of the 7 months I've been here but it's temp (agency) work and has mainly been holiday cover for companies but the last 4 straight weeks... Nothing, hence Iam told that businesses are waiting to see how the Brexit effects them before they hire new staff which is understandable, I get it but it hasn't made my situation any easier and although I've been getting back on my feet theses passed 4 weeks have seen my PS4 and Tablet pawned to pay my internet bill, need that to job search, tv and watch nba games etc and also pawned to pay the electric bill which of course I needed and I was on a final warning, but it's hit home that untill Iam in full time employment should I continue to live on my own? I still owe my landlord £280 from last month and on the 11th il owe him another £450 with no income, Iam seriously considering moving to my mum's house which she did make the offer back at Christmas till Iam on my feet properly. I haven't lived at home since 2004 so I think it would be a huge adjustment for both of us so Iam on the fence, what do you guys think I should do? Have any of you had to move back home before? Did it work out? The only problem is that my mother now lives out of town in a quite little place and since I left the car with my ex for obvious reasons I've either been walking to places or had to get a short bus journey but things would be different there too.

Iam not sure what to do at this point but I think it hits home to me when Iam sat here watching nba games on my phone, no ps4 etc that maybe it would be for the best
Last edited by mp3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 am

Does mum have a car you can borrow? If so, that could help with getting to places if you need to travel farther than your current way. You can always try staying there for a few nights without giving up your current home, just to see what it is like.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:55 am

She does have a car but she uses it for work, I did stay for a few days at Christmas, it went ok but like I said I think it would be an adjustment for both of us full time.

Cheers for the feedback Patrick
mp3

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 am

I've had to move back in with my mom for financial reasons, and it was definitely necessary to help me get back on my feet. I would suggest not looking at that as a bad thing but more of an opportunity to regroup
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am

Cheers Eric, it is something that iam seriously considering now. The financials are a huge part of it, I mean for the last 6 months I've scraped by just meeting rent and hardly having any other money for spending on my daughter when I have her Iam just asking myself what's the point right now? Independence? Hardly, maybe it would be best if I went back and when full time work comes along get saving so when I move out I've got a nest egg.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 am

I think it's a matter of looking at your expenditures vs what you are bringing in. If what you are bringing in isn't enough for you to live comfortably, then it would be time to cut back on expenditures. Obviously the big one is rent so you are lucky in a sense to have the option of living with your mother as many people don't
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic