True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 am

Image credit to USA Today
Last edited by wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Quick Links

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 am

LINK PAGE

STORY FAQ

DRAFT
  • LINK HERE

FREE AGENCY
  • LINK HERE

SUMMER LEAGUE
  • LINK HERE

OPENING NIGHT ROSTERS

NBA SEASON PREVIEW

AROUND THE NBA: LEAGUE NEWS
2016-17 Season

MAJOR REGULAR SEASON GAMES
2016-17 Season

LEAGUE TRANSACTIONS

PLAYOFF PREVIEWS
  • LINK HERE

PLAYOFF HIGHLIGHTS
  • LINK HERE

END OF YEAR RECAPS
  • LINK HERE
Last edited by wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: FAQ

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:23 am

THIS FAQ FORMAT CREDIT
    So I want to give credit where I have seen this format for settings and stuff to where it deserves. In case there's someone coming along who sees my story first, the format is originally from spiderxx7 and his excellent Toronto Raptors story. Definitely check out that link if you haven't given his story a chance yet! Great graphics and you can really see the time he puts into it.
SETTINGS
  • Game: NBA 2K17
  • Console: PC
  • Roster: Updated 2K17 Roster
  • Season Length: 82 Games
  • Playoff Format: Best of 7
  • Sliders: Hov's 2K17 Sliders
BACKSTORY
    Hey guys, it's been a while! I definitely needed a break from 2K for the past few months. After my game file crashed with the LBJ story, I really wanted to get back into it - but I was just salty. I tried an idea, which I'll do again soon, but it just wasn't working for me as I felt like it was just old being so close to the LeBron story. So getting back into this, I wanted to do a rebuild of my favorite team: the Atlanta Hawks. Now, again, this will be played on 2K17 and my goal is actually a call back to my very first story that also, unfortunately, ended badly. So without further adieu, let's get to goals.
GOALS
  • Primary Goal: Finish Mike Budenholzer's career with the Atlanta Hawks. This is my "end" to this game file.
  • Secondary Goal (Year 1): Revive the career of Dwight Howard. The reality is we have very little chance of making it deep in the playoffs with this roster. So my focus for this first season is reviving the career of Mr. Dwight Howard.
TEAM RULES
  • Can't initiate any trades via trade finder until the trade deadline, which only one trade can be initiated. To supplement, I can put players on the trade block
  • Can't release any player until the first day of the next month (unless on a 10-day contract or for injury purposes).
  • All signings during the season will first be a 10-day contract, which would be to imitate realism.
LEAGUE RULES
  • I am monitoring league trades, however, I only veto 80+ players and first round picks that are moving unnecessarily.
  • Through out the years, I will be making some moves to imitate real-life through the league. These will also primarily be moving players who are 80+ who are traded, as the sim doesn't do that often enough I feel.
Last edited by wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Roster

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:23 am

ATLANTA HAWKS 2016-17 ROSTER

wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 am

Cool! Interesting choice. Following. (Y)
[Hyperize]

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: FAQ

Postby kibaxx7 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 am

wdt92 wrote:the format is originally from spiderxx7 and his excellent Toronto Raptors story. Definitely check out that link if you haven't given his story a chance yet! Great graphics and you can really see the time he puts into it.

Hey man, thanks! Really means a lot. (Y) Will be definitely following, hope you can keep Dwight around. His year in Atlanta in real life was tough.
× Club Atlético Independiente. ×
× Watching:
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: 2016/17 Season Preview

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Atlanta Hawks 2016/17 Season Preview
From bleacherreport.com
September 22nd, 2016

"My goal is to start at point guard," Dennis Schroder told German paper Bild during an interview in 2015, "-if that doesn't happen, I will look for other opportunities." Schroder continued to say, "The Hawks are a great team, the city is nice and everything is perfect now. Teague? He was an All-Star, and he helped me a lot. I must be patient and work hard, and eventually, I'll have my opportunities."

These words must have been echoing for sometime backstage with Schroder and management.

Following the decision to trade Jeff Teague to his home state in Indiana, the franchise has unleashed Dennis Schroder to allow him to become the new unquestioned starter for the Atlanta Hawks. Even though this Atlanta team holds 7 returning players from the previous season (48-34 record, granting the Hawks a 4th seed entry), Schroder's presence ushers in a new era for Atlanta.

Head Coach Mike Budenholzer will undoubtedly emphasize the same ball movement approach as previous seasons, however with Schroder's presence thriving in individual isolation basketball forces an offensive change. So too does the departure of long-time Atlanta Hawk, Al Horford who signed with Boston and Kyle Korver who was traded this offseason to Cleveland.

Biggest Offseason Move

While the Teague trade allowed Schroder to step up and grow into his role as a starter, the trade for Ilyasova and departure of Tiago Splitter, the first round additions of Taurean Prince (No.12) and DeAndre Bembry (No.21) earned the Hawks a "B" in our draft day predictions, and even the confusing trade allowing All-Star sharpshooter go to a rival Cleveland Cavaliers, none of these moves were as landscape changing as the addition of Dwight Howard and subtraction of Al Horford. Letting "Big Al" go for a big man who's historically failed to meet lofty expectations since his last run in the South East. DH12* (now wearing No.8) is without a doubt a future Hall of Famer, however, Atlanta will really need him to have a career revival as he returns home.

In comparison to Horford, Dwight failed last season to measure up in most metrics to what Al provided the Hawks. In regards to the previously mentioned offense, Atlanta will really miss Horford's spacing and defensively, Horford last season was a more consistent figure than Dwight last season.

But Howard definitely has the superstar quality that Atlanta has needed at the 5. If he is healthy and motivated, Dwight can carry the defense alone back into the upper echelon, and while not a good post-up option, his pick and roll skills can dominate the offensive side of the ball as we seen from Dwight in stints during his time in Orlando.

This is all also to add the Hawks have been working on expanding Howard's game. It didn't take long after the signing that shooting coach Chris Matthews to post this on his Twitter.

If Howard can add even a fraction of the Pick and Pop abilities Horford gave the offense, the signing would be a tremendous blessing for the Hawks. However, even without the added range, Howard provides enough in his old skillset that should warrant not too much of a dropoff from Al Horford's departure.

Rotation Changes

Unlike in previous seasons, the starting lineup is actually a question mark coming into start the season. Dwight and Schroder, of course, are guaranteed to start, as is Paul Millsap who has been Atlanta's best player these past few seasons. However, with the departure of Kyle Korver, the wings are more of a question mark. Kent Bazemore, Thabo Sefolosha, and Tim Hardaway all will have 20+ minutes, and with his 40+ million dollar deal, we believe Kent will get the nod early on. But who becomes the consistent starter will probably vary any given night.

The good news is that the units with Dennis-Kent-Thabo-Millsap outscored opponents by 33 points despite the presence of Splitter, we believe Howard can produce that for the Hawks. So because of that, we believe the Hawks' starting lineup will be:

This is a strong lineup to start games, however, their bench is definitely troubling for the Hawks on the defensive end. Despite having talented offensive standouts like Tim Hardaway, Ersan Ilyasova, and Mike Muscala this preseason, the Hawks haven't had a stopper off the bench. The question for the Hawks rotation will be how they get stops when Millsap and Dwight aren't in the game.

If Atlanta wants to have a successful year, the primary reserves should really be a mix between veterans and young players. The rookies for Atlanta and Malcolm Delaney looked strong this preseason, and the Hawks will need to rely on their durability for the season. While defensively we have doubts, the Hawks really aren't in a rebuild yet, and they haven't completely entered no-mans-land in the middle conference in our previews. The Hawks' actually have something very few other teams actually have.

The Leaders

Everything begins and ends with Coach Mike Budenholzer. Dwight Howard publicly has said many times "Coach Bud is the reason I wanted to come." We recently listed Coach as the fourth best in the NBA coming into this season and we really aren't sure if he's not higher. Bud's offense only dropped last season with a minor regression and his assists per game were only second to the Warriors.

The system the Hawks run is really the life of the team.

His ideology of sharing the ball and utilizing wings who can switch on defense is impressive. Last year, his scheme even allowed Kyle Korver to see increased roles on the defensive end. Not to say Bud is the only guaranteed positive for the team, as we head now on the topic of the team captain: Paul Millsap. The man, who our metrics had as the second best defensive player of the season, leads the Hawks again this season. However, we question his longterm stay in the "ATL." After another teammate from that 2014-15 historic 60 win season for the Hawks has left, only Millsap remains from that team's starting lineup.

As we mentioned at the beginning of the article we believe this season will begin the issuing in of a new era in Atlanta. This year is Millsap's contract year, and truly, we aren't sure if the 31-year-old Forward will be here come next season.

Predictions

So, only the Spurs with their 19 consecutive playoff appearances, have been to more consecutive playoffs than the Hawks (9x). We don't believe either streak is coming to an end soon, however, we do see this is the weakest iteration of the recent Hawks teams. We have Atlanta:
Final Record: 45-37
Division Standing: 2nd
Playoff Berth: Yes

Seriously used a Bleacher Report article as the base for the writing. I really liked what they had and modernized it to the roster I have with some other stats I knew to throw in. There is without a doubt a lot of what they had in there as a lot of this was a good article. Credit to Bleacher Report for the original article and information for this fictional Season Preview! Atlanta Hawks Complete 2016-17 NBA Season Preview

Also, I forgot Mike Dunleavy in my last rotation. He will be playing both Forward spots for us this year, but listed as a SF and will be above DeAndre Bembry and below Taurean Prince in that rotation. Basically getting limited minutes.
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17

Postby wdt92 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:58 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Cool! Interesting choice. Following. (Y)

Thanks! I'm glad you're following along again (from the LeBron story)! :)

The only downside I have with this Hawks roster is the lack of Korver. You definitely got the benefit of his prowess in your recent post in your 2K19 Cavs story. :lol:

spiderxx7 wrote:Hey man, thanks! Really means a lot. (Y) Will be definitely following, hope you can keep Dwight around. His year in Atlanta in real life was tough.

Don't mention it! I really liked your style and as I said before, you can see your work put in with that.

Thanks! I'm glad you're following! (Y)

Yeah, it really was a bad turning point for Dwight. I think if he could've had a good season with the Hawks without the turmoil he had at the end, his recent commentary of "locker room cancer" wouldn't be there now. I'm aiming to try and help the guy and keep him around his hometown.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 1

Postby wdt92 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:20 am

Hawks fail to soar in Home Opener against Wall and Wizards, lose 111-101 [0-1]
From espn.com
October 27, 2016

Wizards Boxscore | Team Comparison | Hawks Boxscore
phpBB [video]

ATLANTA -- It was a surprising night for the Hawks tonight in their home opener.

They came into the season with so many questions. Can Dennis Schroder lead a team as the starting point guard? Can Dwight Howard fit in with the space offensive that Coach Budenholzer has utilized since the 2013-14 season? Can the team have the shooting to combat the lack of Kyle Korver's presence?

The answer from tonight's game...

Well, it's yes. However, the Hawks have an entirely new question from the performance. Is all of that enough to maintain a spot in the upper echelon of the East this year?

Howard, who returned to the city where he grew up, did nothing to disappoint tonight. Dwight Howard surprised many with how well he actually did fit in. He hit a jump shot starting the third that began a run for Atlanta through that entire quarter. This led to a decent scoring night for Dwight as he finished with 11 points on 4-7 shooting while abysmal as usual with 50% shooting from the free throw line. He defensively wreaked havoc on the Wizards throughout the night, particularly bothering guards entering the paint finishing the night with many altered shots and 2 blocks. Finally, Dwight did something the Hawks haven't had in quite some time, and that is his ability to dominate the boards. Howard finished tonight with an impressive 16 rebounds.

"The worst thing you can do going into the first game at home is lay an egg," Dwight Howard said after the game, "I think all of us were nervous going into the game because we really wanted to put on for this city. We let the nerves get the best of us tonight. We're going to have to do better, we still don't feel 'settled in.'"

The Hawks who were behind going into the third only 76-70, seemed to just not have enough to beat Washington tonight. The Wizards hit 3/3 buzzer-beating shots to end the first 3 quarters which definitely hurt Atlanta's morale. But despite that, the Wizards as a whole didn't have an outstanding night tonight, however, John Wall's 5 steals (3 in the fourth) really changed the tempo of the game and allowed Washington to gain control. Which led to his impressive 21 points, but most impressively on 50% shooting from 3.

"We came into their building and got a win," John Wall said after the game, "I feel that's what's important. Tomorrow we're going to have to watch the film, they got too many open looks, but tonight we got the win and that's what's important."

TIP-INS

Paul Millsap finished with 16 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, and 1 steal. However, his presence tonight was mostly quiet dealing with foul trouble throughout the first half.

Markieff Morris also finished with 21 points tying Wall for leading scorer for Washington, however, his shooting percentage was heavily decreased by Atlanta's defense.
Last edited by wdt92 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 2

Postby wdt92 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 am

Dwight Howard Interview (Day after Game 2) [1-1]
Inside Stuff w/ Steve Smith
October 30, 2016

Atlanta Hawks Boxscore | Team Comparison | Philadelphia 76ers Boxscore

Steve Smith: "Atlanta, coming home! I remember I had a chance to go back home to Detroit and had to pick between the Hawks and Pistons. I picked the Hawks. What, in your mind, helped make that decision from a basketball standpoint?"

Dwight Howard: "It all really comes down to Coach Bud. Spending time with him, I realized he's exactly what I need at this point in my career. For me, I'm all about growth, getting better. He pushes all of us to get better. Whatever part of my life, I want to grow. I want to improve and move to the next level. Coach is the perfect coach for me to do that."

Steve Smith: "Last night definitely saw some of those results! You posted 24 and 15 with those huge five blocks! You got what, 3 on Embiid?"

Howard laughs as he responds.

Dwight Howard: "Yeah, but it isn't about that. We got the win, and that's what we care about. Last night is exactly what I mean about Bud helping us all grow. Paul had a rough game so everyone stepped up to try and help our captain. All of our guys are leaning so much on each other. It really isn't like something I've been a part of before."

Steve Smith: "As a big man, and leader yourself, I don't think I've ever heard you refer to another player in that manner before like you just did with Millsap. Is that early on a thing? The kumbaya syndrome?"

Dwight Howard: "Not at all, it's not even Millsap's team either. That's the crazy thing. If you asked Dennis, Paul, myself, Kent or any one of our guys; I don't think anyone would say 'this is MY team.' I've never experienced that before coming here. I'm not wanting to throw anyone under the bus who I've played with before, but it's just a rare environment. I'm happy to be home with that environment."

Steve Smith: "Can this group, with Dwight Howard, bring a championship to the city of Atlanta?"

Dwight Howard: "Well that's our goal. We have already begun to hold ourselves to that standard as we step on the floor. Last night and opening night against Washington really helped us move closer to that goal. Last night we had that big comeback in the fourth. We can't ever give up. That is the standard this team has to play up to. If we can commit ourselves to win every single day, we will be a very good team moving into the Playoffs."

Steve Smith: "You get a chance to write your legacy. This will all be things you can control, what would you want your legacy to be?"

Dwight Howard: "Champion. I think, despite everything that's happened before, they can say whatever they want about what I did or was rumored to be. However, if I win a title, they can't say I never won. I went to the Finals with the Magic in 2009, and I thought we could do that every year. I didn't understand the timing I had and how much effort it really takes to get over the hump. Hopefully sooner rather than later, it will happen."

Steve Smith: "Number 8. Can I at least get a number 8 jersey?"

Dwight laughs as he gives Smitty dap.

Dwight Howard: "Oh yeah! You know a lot of us was talking today about me taking your moves too. You know that head fake into the spin? I did that last night. That's definitely your number, so I'm going to try and carry on your legacy and make some threes and try and help Atlanta get that championship."
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 2

Postby kibaxx7 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:11 am

That's the Dwight I like!
× Watching:
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×
kibaxx7
炭治郎

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 2

Postby wdt92 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:29 pm

spiderxx7 wrote:That's the Dwight I like!

Yeah, he was dominating. I also want to make him more likable in this story. Moving forward, due to contracts, I know I can only keep him or Millsap. While I really like Millsap, I think for story Howard may be more interesting as an NBA revival story. Similar to what we have seen with Derrick Rose this season. Though I also think loyalty goes a long way. Millsap signed with pay cuts early on and was around for the entire Budenholzer tenure. So I'm not 100% sure which one I'll keep.

I have played another game (it was a blowout win against Sacramento, so I'm going to move on without posting it). I ran into a really odd game-breaking glitch though that affected every mode and I really can't continue at the moment. So if you guys don't mind and have some knowledge about fixes for 2K17, please check out this post where I describe the issue more: https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=106568. In a nutshell, I can't move my player in games. It is like the player is guarding air at all times. I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me out so I can continue playing! Thanks! :)
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: October Recap (Players)

Postby wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:25 pm

So while I haven't fixed the glitch completely, I have figured a workaround to keep playing. Though I'm hoping long term it doesn't injure our players with how much I have to sprint now.

Anyway! So here is a recap of the league for the player's stats and awards for October (only a week). I'm doing this one out of character though as I am going to post the next Atlanta game as well. I suspect the next ones will be in an actual report to help provide context.

Last edited by wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: October Recap (Team)

Postby wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:28 pm

wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: October Recap (Atlanta)

Postby wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:01 pm

wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: October Recap

Postby kibaxx7 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Schroder playing great. You will try to keep him around too?
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 4 [3-1]

Postby wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm

First Take on Atlanta / Lakers Overtime Game [3-1]
from ESPN
November 4, 2016

Atlanta Hawks Boxscore | Team Comparison | Los Angeles Lakers Boxscore

Molly: "So fellas, last night was a damper for all of us fans here in Los Angeles, as again the Lake-Show put on a disastrous performance. Losing their fifth game in a row in a heartbreaking overtime loss to the Atlanta Hawks! Does this game last night say more about the Lakers being bad on this skid or more about how good the Hawks are?"

Max: "Well I'll start if you don't mind."

Stephen A.: "Well you better! After that horrendous prediction, you had to begin the season. 'Oh Stephen A. you'll see! The Lakers will be a battling 8th seed team!' Oh, I'm going to enjoy hearing this!"

Stephen A. laughs as he leans forward in his chair.

Max: "Well thankfully I'm a good eater, so I can eat some crow when I have to. See, this loss was a huge statement for both. Now, if you give me a second to explain. The Lakers last night actually played a good game. Dare I say a great game! D'Angelo Russell, who you still haven't given proper credit for his ability being better than your pick of Jahlil Okafor-"

Stephen A.: "I'll give him credit for last night, it was a hell of a performance. I was going to get to that in my point."

Max: "Well, good! D'Angelo Russell really proved to the Lakers they have at least one great pick there out of that cast. The shots he hit, the pace he forced the Hawks to play, it was amazing! The fact that Russell led them with two big threes to drive them to what I thought was the win was, and I'm going to say something you'd call blasphemous, but it was Kobe-like. Actually watching last night, I also really liked Randle as well. He struggled against Dwight but he got the boards, but with this season I think everyone has struggled against Howard. Zubac though looked impressive. I think the Lakers looked good last night. However, I think the Lakers, despite my pick, has struggled to get out of that losing mentality. They can't get it right. This is also where I'll give credit where it is due to the Hawks. They were ultra impressive. When I saw that drive in the first by Schroder, I knew he was going to go off. It was just a feeling about him last night. Then Dwight Howard, man oh man. This guy so far has looked amazing! I know I said I thought Dwight would hurt the Hawks spacing, but so far he's hitting mid-range shots, and he's single-handedly raised the Hawks rebounding per game as a team to first in the league! I think it may really have been his back that has plagued his decline these past few years, cause last night I saw a prime Dwight Howard out there. An Orlando Magic Dwight Howard. Against that team with that guy, I think the Hawks really have improved thus far in this young season."

Stephen A.: "Well there are quite a few things to say here so I'll try and start from the beginning. First of all, don't you ever compare De-An-gelo Russell to the GREAT Black Mamba! That truly is blasphemous! Secondly, and moving to the larger point here, I agree with the basis of your comments about the game and where these teams are. But I feel you're missing part of it. So starting with the Lakers, that team has been a dumpster fire for so long that I think they don't know how to be anything but a dumpster fire. Now you say this game showed the Lakers what talent they have, I say the Lakers can't recognize that talent. I promised I wouldn't talk bad personally about Jim Buss out of respect for the great Dr. Buss, but I will say basketball-wise, his ego is too large to see past the lore of his own decisions. He wants a championship so badly under his name of decisions, I think he's going to throw away this talent. Luke Walton has done a good job thus far, but I think Jim and the Lakers will try and jump to get rid of him. That's just how the Lakers have been these past few seasons. Now on to the Hawks- oh and before I forget, D'Angelo Russell had a tremendous game last night. 37 points, 7 steals and led that team to overtime. He's growing up and deserves the credit for last night. But onto the Hawks. I am not sure if that team will get enough credit for the job it has been doing. Coach Budenholzer has done an excellent job preparing that team, and might I also personally add a future congratulations to Dwight Howard. Just in case we don't cover it, he's closing in on 26th in the NBA's top rebounders of all time. This season he's been playing excellent. I still don't think they have enough to beat Cleveland, but in the end, they'll be there. That's for sure. But on point, I think this game says far more about the Lakers than the Hawks."
Last edited by wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: October Recap

Postby wdt92 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:46 pm

spiderxx7 wrote:Schroder playing great. You will try to keep him around too?

Absolutely. The only thing with Schroder, I want him to lower his turnovers. He has a negative Pure Point, and I'm really hoping he can turn it around and this is just early season stuff. He is a bit reckless with the ball. Though from my experience playing 2K, all CPU controlled guards are.

Also, on second thought, I may even try and keep Millsap if I can do 1-year deals, or frontload his contract. I don't know, I really like loyalty in players. :lol:
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 5 [3-2]

Postby wdt92 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 am

Wizards' Beal leads heroic game to destroy Hawks, 111-89 [3-2]
ESPN
November 5, 2016

Washington Wizards Boxscore | Team Comparison | Atlanta Hawks Boxscore

WASHINGTON -- Another win by the Wizards against Conference rival Atlanta Hawks.

In a time where it looked like the East this year would be another sprint to the finish line by Cleveland in the Eastern Conference, Washington early this season has put a halt on that going 4-0 this season. Tonight, with an opponent on a 3 game winning streak with a home game contest against Atlanta, many analysts predicted tonight could be one where the Wizards would hit a bit of a roadblock. This couldn't have been further from the result.

From the tip, tonight's game belonged to Bradley Beal. The man was on a tear offensively, and nothing Atlanta did could stop him on his 33 point outburst. Starting with his 2 3s early in the first, Beal then was forced to drive, and it appears that was the worse mistake Atlanta could have made. Despite a very good defensive set of bigs down low, Beal took the contact and one on his way to single-handedly lead a Washington team that lost both John Wall and Marcin Gortat to foul trouble.

"It was just all clicking," Beal said to reporters after the game, "I don't think it was much of a gameplan thing for us as I just had the hot hand. John and especially 'the Hammer,' as you guys call him, [Gortat] were both in foul trouble, and we needed to step up. My job is to lead this team and my guys, and I did that tonight."

Atlanta looks to have many more problems than they expected. The not unusual sighting was Washington's 3rd quarter and 4th plan to force Atlanta's offense to go to the free throw line through Dwight Howard. Shooting an awful 4-14, the 'Hack-a-Howard' defense really led to a stagnant Hawks offense that couldn't get in a roll to match Washington's hot hand. Dwight Howard voiced his concerns after the game. "I really let the guys down tonight. I'll do better for the team. We really can't have me missing so many shots. Moving forward I won't allow myself to be a weakness for this team. I can't."

The unusual and unexpected problem the Hawks are facing comes in the form of turnovers. This was not something many people expected going into the season, but the Hawks lost the ball 21 times, 17 directly leading to steals by Washington and that led to 29 fast break points and 31 more FGA that Washington attempted over their opponents. Coach Mike Budenholzer addressed the media about the concern in a post-interview with Atlanta media. "[Beal] was impressive tonight. The way he handles himself and leads the team by example is a real bright spot on that team. Tonight wasn't a special occasion for them on that end. However, for us, we have to get back to the fundamentals. We have been trying to do a lot, we want to succeed and play to our potential. In ways, that's admirable by our guys, and I'm proud of the heart this team has had so far in the five games. It's early in the season, but still, this falls on us as a unit to fix internally. The team is still combating these things to get better as well. So, tomorrow the coaching staff and players will be watching some film and prepare for the game tomorrow night against Houston to try and avoid some of these basic mistakes while still maintaining the good beyond fundamentals and boxscores this team has displayed thus far."

TIP IN

This was the first game this season Dwight Howard did not produce an offensive rebound. The Hawks sorely missed his rebounding production on that end, and as a result, lost the rebounding battle tonight.

Despite battling foul trouble, and a poor offensive night, John Wall did produce on the defensive in with an impressive 5 steals to lead the team in that category.
wdt92

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 5

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 am

That's neat how you recap the games in different ways.
[Hyperize]

Re: True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 5

Postby kibaxx7 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

Loving the First Take addition :mrgreen: (Y)
× Watching:
× Watched:
kibaxx7
炭治郎

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Soft Reboot

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm

It has been a while on this story, so I want to catch a few things up so we can continue rolling through the season. First off, thanks to everyone who read it, I actually didn't see the last few posts until a few nights ago, and I'm grateful for the compliments. I apologize for disappearing randomly without writing anything, that was on me. To explain: I simply became burnt out on basketball. Without getting too much into it, I overconsumed basketball since 2010 and needed to stop and find a balance regarding the hobby/interest.

Now, I will be continuing the story, though I found I did lose the save file because I downloaded the draft class. I was actually not sure what happened until I got on here and read through Phil's problem with his Suns franchise. Hints why the series will be a soft reboot. For the most part, nothing will change from what I wrote regarding the canon of this story, but I will be adding a few posts that will be in between or before certain posts to explain things I did in the new save that will fit into the timeline as we catch up to where this file was. Just as a minor spoiler, there has already been a blockbuster trade that occurred in October that moves a 90 OVR across the conferences.

Also because I no longer have my draft classes with the servers being gone, I will be using CPU generated with only editing the player I want to draft. I'm using a basic rule for this to keep it fair, so I'm not drafting Jayson Tatum with pick 27, by only drafting five down from real life. Basically, if my pick is number 10, I can draft any player 6-10 who was drafted in real life.

The other thing I'm doing now which actually makes this file harder: is not using 2K Synergy. It makes the growth of players way too unrealistic because it is using a MyCareer growth. I did a test run with Dwight before starting over, and I found he got to his 93 potential by the end of the first season despite him being out of his peak years. Now, I am all for revival stories, but that's a big jump from being a barely All-Star to being an MVP candidate in just one season. I will be using the potential editing method that uses the growth already in the game along with using the Eff stat in the game to give the players constantly shifting potentials.

Anyway, I believe that notes all the changes that will be happening internally with this series. If there is something else that comes to me that is pertinent to the series, I'll update. I am happy to be writing it again.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: West Coast to the North

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

From the West Coast to the North: the Opening Season of the Chris Paul Saga
From bleacherreport.com
November 6, 2016

Well a day we all were shocked to see happen finally did. Lob City is no longer housing the top three point guard, Chris Paul. In a move that has many parts moving all across the league, Chris Paul finds himself now a man across the border in the North. The move had many pieces that are moving, so to break it down as simple as possible: the Clippers are receiving All-Star PG Kyle Lowry, annually fringe All-Star F Rudy Gay, F Pascal Siakam, and a protected 2019 1st Rnd Pick. The Raptors are receiving: PG Chris Paul, SG Alan Anderson, PG Ty Lawson (to be waived by the Raptors according to reports). Finally, the third piece in this puzzle was the Kings who obviously cashed fully into rebuild following their preseason trade of All-Star Big DeMarcus Cousins. They haul in: F Wesley Johnson, F DeMarre Carroll, Protected 2017 1st Rnd Pick, and a 2020 2nd Rnd Pick.

This is such a wild day for the NBA as really none of us expected such a sudden move, except really we should have. From the preseason, tension has been rising in Clipperland, as CP3 has been verbally lashing out at his All-Star teammates and management for lack of consistency and dependency. After opening night, a single tweet made headlines for the following few days but little was spoken afterward about it. The tweet, by ESPN's Woj, was as follows:

This was a warning shot to us in the media really. We didn't realize how bad this was until Woj reported it on the first of this month. We followed his word, being closest seemingly to the situation, and the league came to a screeching halt on Nov 4th when it was announced that the Clippers were viciously shopping Chris Paul. It was then the shocking report that cleared everything up for us, Chris Paul has privately been growing a frustration year by year by the sudden collapse of the team every playoff run. It was then we realized what was under our nose the entire time. Chris Paul didn't suddenly lash out against management in a brief moment of weakness. Chris Paul just hit his wall. He wanted out of a situation that became toxic for him and for the team.

This was even more clear by his interview with ESPN's Rachel Nichols on the Jump that evening.

CP: "I don't want to throw shade at the Clippers, but I am not happy. They aren't happy. We don't trust one another on the court, and as a result, one thing has led to another. We have had fights after every game this season and the magic we had in Lob City is gone. I don't think the way this got out was very professional, but at the same time, that's not on me. That's on them. I will continue to be professional and perform up to my expectations of championship levels. Though again, we aren't happy in this situation."

RN: "So, following these unexpected reports, do you think you will be happier elsewhere?"

CP: "You and I both know I can't answer that. However, I will say, I think we all have expected something very different since I came here and even when Doc got here. I am not sure any of us got on the same page from that point. We have to get on the same page, or this entire season will be lost."

Since the day Doc arrived, CP3 felt the team didn't really have common ground. According to this interview, the team has been unbalanced for a few years now. This now leads us to today, the trade. Chris Paul is now a Raptor, Kyle Lowry and Rudy Gay are now Clippers. With this added depth and star power, both of these teams will be powerhouses in their conferences. We now will see if Chris Paul will be enough to dethrone his buddy, LeBron James in the East.
wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Around the League

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Around the League

wdt92

True to Atlanta || Rise Up || NBA 2K17: Game 8

Postby wdt92 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Bulls' Butler and Wade rampage through Hawks, 120-99 [4-4]
ESPN
November 9, 2016

Atlanta Hawks Boxscore | Team Comparison | Chicago Bulls Boxscore

ATLANTA -- Another win by the Bulls in their amazing 7-1 start of the season against the Atlanta Hawks.

This game cemented the lack of fluke going on right now in Chicago, as despite the lack of floor spacing, perennial All-Star guard Dwyane Wade led the way with a 61% shooting night. Tonight was a night where many expected the recently struggling .500 Hawks to dethrone the Bulls, however, the opposite came into fruition.

From the tip, tonight's game was Chicago's. Dwyane Wade was slashing inside, and Butler took over when Wade needed his rest. Right now, in his dominant early MVP showing, Butler has now 26 PPG, 7 RPG, 7 APG and is logging in 2 SPG with a block to boot. Tonight he dominated just in the same fashion putting on his 4th 30 point game this season.

"He has been the man," D-Wade said to reporters after the game, "Jimmy has carried the load this season, and is really showing what it means to be a leader in this team. He is the reason why Rondo and I are even here."

Atlanta, on the flip side, is forming a trend that may be beneficial moving forward. New starting PG, Dennis Schroder, is now definitively, Atlanta's best player this early season. He has put on a show night in and night out, and despite recent disappearances of Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap, Schroder has shown up. Tonight having an excellent 24 point showing on 8-14 shooting and 3-6 from 3-point land. "We really need to find our footing," the German guard said to reporters, "It seems night-to-night we have different guys who are going in slumps, and we just need to find what works and stick to it."

Moving forward it looks like Hawks may be forced to make moves early if this trend continues. With the recent addition of Chris Paul up North, the East looks far deadlier than in the past, and it now seems the Hawks have slumped to the middle of the pack. In the NBA, this a no man's land situation that the Hawks better find a way out of.
wdt92

Next

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood