YouTube & "Partnership" with NBA

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

YouTube & "Partnership" with NBA

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:32 pm

As NBA fans, i think you have to watch these videos guys ; NBA kills content creators :

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Re: YouTube & "Partnership" with NBA

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:19 pm

We're seeing more of this with content creators, or at least those who create content that offers commentary and critique while making use of footage and assets that fall under fair use (especially when they've actually been provided by the entity in question, such as a sports league or video game developer). YouTube's policies about fair use are all over the place to begin with, and it's a system that can be abused, making it another weapon for companies who want to strong arm content creators who are critical of their product.

It's unfortunate because it ends up putting the kibosh on creators who have put in the time and effort to build their audience on the platform and make it into a viable career, over picky and petty reasons. It also sanitises opinions and reduces content creators who want to foster a relationship with these companies/entities and do things by the book to basically being marketers. The term "influencers" is thrown around a lot these days, but if you want to keep that good relationship, get the perks, and be allowed to produce your content with all the bells and whistles, and without any trouble, you're going to have the influence that the company wants you to have.

In fairness to the NBA, if they are granting the use of their footage, it's within their rights to set parameters for its use, and they may be concerned about conflicting sponsorships and the like. There are going to be brands they don't want to be associated with their brand (even indirectly) because it conflicts with one of their partnerships or is otherwise inappropriate. However, it's also a convenient way of controlling content creators, and a fallback excuse if they want to shut someone down because of their opinions ("Oh no, it's totally not that, it's the sponsorships/some other technicality!).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:54 am

I dont watch SDC but i'm a regular watch of Dom2K, i really appreciate what he creates, his moderation.
I cant understand why NBA could ask him to preview his videos or to ask him a release date ; he's not a NBA employee.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 am

No, but he is using their intellectual property. If that's part of the agreement to do so without having to pay huge fees for the rights, then that's the way it is. It's draconian and lacking in goodwill if they're barring opinions they don't like, but at the end of the day, if he's joined a program where he can use their footage and there are certain conditions he has to follow, then again, that's the way it is.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm

I guess from the moment that he has a large audience, he has no choice.
Join the program or "close" your channel / remove content for copyright infringement.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Pretty much. Sometimes larger channels get away with things smaller channels can't, and other times smaller channels are able to fly under the radar while larger channels get pinged. Again, it's all over the place with YouTube.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic