If you were to pick one game...

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

If you were to pick one game...

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Let's suppose you only have money to buy one of them (which is my current situation).

Which one would you pick: 2K19 or Live 19? And why?

The reason why I am creating this topic on the Live 19 section is: between those two games, I really wanted to choose Live. I am kinda fed up with 2K gameplay and some other annoyances. Live gameplay seems fresh and I really enjoyed playing the demo. Graphics look fantastic in my opinion. And after all, I've been playing NBA Live games since 1999. I grew attached to them and therefore I want this franchise to succeed.

But on the other hand, I enjoy creating fantasy rosters with past and current players, and in terms of roster editing 2K is still light-years ahead. I was hoping that Live had at least a legends pool or something similar, but unfortunately it does not. Moreover, 2K has a way deeper franchise mode, way better commentary and more signature animations (especially for dribbling and post-up shots). I don't play MyCareer or The One, so I have no opinion on those modes.

To be honest, I am not sure if NBA Live 19 is worth 70 euros. Even though I'm a long-time NBA Live fan, currently it seems like the ratio between "stuff that you get" and "money paid" is considerably larger on 2K19. They even fixed the blow-by exploit, which is the only reason why I stopped playing NBA 2K18 only four months after it was released.

So in a nutshell, despite the repetitive gameplay and inferior graphics, I would spend my 70 euros on 2K19.

How do you guys compare both games?
CarolusXCI

Re: If you were to pick one game...

Postby Yuurei on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 pm

I have chosen Live this year although after Prelude I've got second thoughts. But I had fun playing Live 19 demo so I hope I'm going to have that in full version too. And I'm still bit disgusted by 2k18 ;) Maybe I'll pickup 2k19 later when prices drop.
Yuurei

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:31 pm

As much as I think this is going to be a very solid year for NBA Live, if it's the franchise experience and roster customisation you're after, 2K definitely has more to offer there. NBA Live 19 is definitely going to be more about The One and its various connected experiences. Ultimate Team looks like it's going to be pretty good this year in terms of content, so that might satisfy your itch for putting together fantasy squads. There are microtransactions in that mode, but you don't have to indulge in them. You can just earn the in-game currency through challenges and buy packs/players from the Auction House that way.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm buying both like I do every year, but if I had to choose one I am choosing NBA Live 19.

Reason being: the gameplay direction since 2K18. The defense looks to be fixed to an extent, and I'm happy about that. But, the skating/sliding all over the court kills the experience for me. I mentioned that along with the defense for 2K18, and its still a problem in 2K19.

Also, the body steals/body blocks are still in the game. IMO, the legacy issues stayed when they went to the new motion system, and new issues were added on top of them. So not only had 2K's gameplay gotten stale to me overall, the game has more problems than ever.

Graphically and gameplay wise I prefer NBA Live 19, even with lack of depth. I have 2K17 to fall back on in regards to retro content, mods, depth etc.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 am

if you had to choose between 2K17 and Live 19 only regarding gameplay ?
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:04 am

sticky-fingers wrote:if you had to choose between 2K17 and Live 19 only regarding gameplay ?

That's a loaded question.

My brother and I talked about this: If 2K18 (Or 2K19) had Live 19's gameplay, with 2K's depth and was moddable, we would have switched over. Meaning, we would have started from scratch and made the retro content for Live 19, started seasons, etc.

However, while 2K17's gameplay causes more frustration than Live 19 because of legacy issues, and some defensive issues, the gameplay overall is more sound in 2K17. Meaning, the post game is better, the dribbling has better overall control, 2K utilized the R Stick better on offense and defense, and the lighting and look of the players close up is better (In my opinion). Live feels more sim, while 2K17 feels more arcade to me.

I think if 2K17 was fresh, and I had to choose between the two gameplay wise, I would probably choose 2K17. However, I've been playing 2K17 for a couple years now, and Live 19's gameplay would be enough to switch completely if it had 2K17's depth.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 am

thanks for this clarification
crossed fingers for a PC version of Live 20
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:24 am

Sure 2k might have the modes and features you want, but will you have fun playing the game? That's the big question for me and Live 18 and Live 19 have been fun to play. I can't say I ever had any fun playing 2k16, outside of pro am with the NLSC crew
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 am

[Q] wrote:Sure 2k might have the modes and features you want, but will you have fun playing the game? That's the big question for me and Live 18 and Live 19 have been fun to play. I can't say I ever had any fun playing 2k16, outside of pro am with the NLSC crew

Exactly, and that's my point.

I didn't play NBA 2K18 even though it was moddable, and had all the modes I could ever want, simply because I didn't enjoy it. 2K16 was more enjoyable but didn't stick with me, and 2K17 was overall enjoyable which is why I still play it to this day.

I don't care how pretty a game is, or how many modes it features or depth of said modes, if you don't enjoy the game or it causes you more frustration than joy, it's not worth your time.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 am

I used to mod stuff all the time in high school and college back when games were less accurate than they are now. I think it would be fun to do nowadays, but I don't have the time plus both companies are doing pretty good about getting licenses for courts and whatnot plus I'd rather spend time playing than changing things just for the sake of changing it.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:11 pm

[Q] wrote:Sure 2k might have the modes and features you want, but will you have fun playing the game? That's the big question for me and Live 18 and Live 19 have been fun to play. I can't say I ever had any fun playing 2k16, outside of pro am with the NLSC crew

Certainly a great point, and that was my experience with NBA Live 18/NBA 2K18 last year. The NBA Live 19 demo has given us a pretty good idea of what to expect gameplay wise, but NBA 2K19 The Prelude is a little tougher to gauge, seeing as how it's three games of player-locked gameplay and the 2KU tutorial. Also, shooting is apparently going to be more difficult in the full version, which kind of defeats the purpose of The Prelude giving us a preview of the game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby CarolusXCI on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 am

So I ended up buying Live 19. The game is fun.
CarolusXCI

Return to NBA Live 19