Demo Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

Re: Demo Impressions Thread

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:41 am

It's cool to see these suggestions being thrown out there, though. Reminds me of the old days when we worked together to enhance the gaming experience, not just in terms of modding, but slider and settings adjustments as well.

That being said, if EA can improve the lighting in a patch as they did for NBA Live 14, that would be even better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 am

I find it funny to read negative comments about the demo not regarding gameplay but simply lack of features. It's a demo, they can't give the game away. If you want to play Live Run, buy the game!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 am

[Q] wrote:I find it funny to read negative comments about the demo not regarding gameplay but simply lack of features. It's a demo, they can't give the game away. If you want to play Live Run, buy the game!

It was a feature in 18 (iirc?), so people are spoiled over the fact that it's not present. It's also a problem when a majority of the basketball gaming community nowadays are mainly involved in the street aspect instead of the actual NBA.

I'd also like to see EA give early codes to people who can be helpful in critiquing the game as opposed to popular youtubers and twitter users. Knowledgeable players > popularity
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:00 am

Yes, in the Live 16 demo, they let you play Live Run for free all year long if I remember correctly. Last year, Live Run was an option along with the new Live Events. This year, they know they have a better game, so they don't and shouldn't give as much away in the demo to get people to buy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Tstarks on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:29 am

Agreed all the way Andrew. We need to bring ideas and collaboration back! Have been lurking for many years (Tim and Lutz anyone?)and recall all that you speak about!

On a side note, I would like to commend you for effectively carrying the baton of managing this board. They couldn't have found a more able and dedicated individual. Looking forward to a truly fun, constructive and fruitful year for Live 19.
Tstarks

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 am

You have been around a long time! Thanks for the kind words. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:I'm not concerned with commentary. I have it turned off anyway (couldn't stand Van Gundy plus it's just repetitive). How's the game play?

Much improved. Go watch my video in the NBA Live 19 Video thread. It shows you the improvement ements in movement, the game is a lot less stiff.

Will do.

When I get the chance I'll have to give the demo a try. I like hearing the movement is better.
StyxTx

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:17 am

During my first playthrough on Play Now, I think I tried to access my PS Manu or Chat menu or something (I can't exactly remember what I did) but when I came back, some of my players had turned invisible. This is Demarcus "Casper" Cousins inbounding the ball. Let's just say it was a bit difficult on both offense and defense if you can't see your players.

Also, on Live Events today they release The Professor! (of AND 1 fame)
Really cool to see, but unfortunately his ratings aren't real so essentially it's just for looks and for the sake of having his likeness in the game. His passing, court vision, and dribbling are at about 70
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 am

I don't see myself playing The One much this year. I thought it was cool when it was revealed that you could build your squad, but I was disappointed when I found out that you're only locked to your created player. Don't understand the purpose of upgrading your team if you can't control everyone.
RayRay_953

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:31 am

shinron15 wrote:Don't understand the purpose of upgrading your team if you can't control everyone.

So you can win?
[Hyperize]

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:56 am

Letting the AI control a player isn't nearly as effective as a human controlling a player. For that reason, it's more worth it to acquire a legend in LUT, knowing that I can control him, as opposed to praying that the AI does a competent play due to the player lock in The One. For example, if I acquire Gary Payton as a teammate for my One squad, he only has the programming of the AI, but if I use him in LUT, knowing that I can control him, I get to choose when he steals the ball, move around the floor with him, etc.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:47 am

Exactly. You're at the mercy of the quality and competence of the AI, no matter how good your squad gets. In all fairness it does seem like it is pretty competent in NBA Live 19, but I'd agree it's not as effective as being able to control them yourself.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:58 am

Played some more last night. Played in Boston this time, and tried out the brightness settings that were discussed. I liked the look of the court but the players were a bit washed out so I changed it back.

I also turned down the volume of commentators a couple ticks so now it blends in a bit better and the crowd and arena noise stands out a bit more. Jay Williams is annoying as he comes off as an arrogant know it all. I like the feeling I get when AI Kyrie tries to take over and make a comeback against me. Got me worried for a second before I shut him down a few plays later
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:27 am

Glad to know it's not just me and my bias when it comes to Jay Williams. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:21 pm

[Q] wrote:Jay Williams is annoying as he comes off as an arrogant know it all.

Agreed
CarolusXCI

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 am

The weird Ooof line he has after a block sounds so fake I thought it was just a terrible sound effect coming from the players at first
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 am

Watched this review, and I don't feel confident that this game's going to get treated properly. I agree with some of the critiques made, but I disagree with a majority of what has been said (and baffled on how he craps on the WNBA at 9:55). Not only that, there's kids spamming that one 2K quote in the comments, "What are you gonna do? Play NBA LIVE?"

phpBB [video]
RayRay_953

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 am

shinron15 wrote:Watched this review, and I don't feel confident that this game's going to get treated properly. I agree with some of the critiques made, but I disagree with a majority of what has been said (and baffled on how he craps on the WNBA at 9:55). Not only that, there's kids spamming that one 2K quote in the comments, "What are you gonna do? Play NBA LIVE?"

phpBB [video]

I had already watched this, its disgusting. And, you are correct... I don't think Live 19 will get a fair shake. It's not "cool" enough yet, and it won't get a fair shake until it's dubbed "cool".
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:39 pm

It's unfortunate when content creators pander to their audiences' biases and current trends. It shows that NBA Live still faces an uphill battle, but given that it did gain momentum last year, I think it will continue.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 19