Cleveland Cavaliers: The LeBron James Story - Chapter 14

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Cleveland Cavaliers: The LeBron James Story - Chapter 14

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 am

Damn, that's certainly going to add to the challenge. Pretty amusing that the game didn't acknowledge it by having him do the post-game interview though. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather just go back to the locker room now."
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 pm

It's a shame that you lost Kyrie for such a long period of time, especially after you started the season so well.

Nice presentation btw (Y)
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:37 am

Andrew wrote:Damn, that's certainly going to add to the challenge. Pretty amusing that the game didn't acknowledge it by having him do the post-game interview though. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather just go back to the locker room now."

:lol: It made me laugh when he randomly showed up at the end.

Phil89 wrote:It's a shame that you lost Kyrie for such a long period of time, especially after you started the season so well.

Nice presentation btw (Y)

It really is a shame, I was just getting used to giving him the ball off my drives with LeBron. Chemistry wise hurt us the most.

Thanks! I am changing it little by little as I go. I'm finding certain things I like and others I don't. I think your Phoenix series really inspired me with some of the game writings like color coding names of the teams, etc.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:56 am

Mario Chalmers is coming to Cleveland
From bleacherreport.com
Nov 5, 2016

Following the injury to Kyrie Irving, the Cleveland Cavaliers immediately had a free agent workout day while we reported the injury. General Manager David Griffin, before even the information came about Irving's injury got busy. Yesterday the Cavaliers hosted Georgia Tech alumni, Jarrett Jack. They reportedly called former Cavalier Mo Williams, who declined wishing to stay retired. Current off-and-on TNT analyst, Nate Robinson also was invited to the workout. The final two invited was former LeBron teammates, Mario Chalmers and Toney Douglas.

After a report from ESPN analyst Stephen A. Smith, the Cavaliers were apparently leaning heavy after the workout to sign Jarrett Jack after his great 3-point show out, and Griffin's like for him playing off the ball with LeBron and mixing well when Kyrie returns. However, from what Smith reported, LeBron disagreed and wanted Chalmers who undoubtedly was more proven with his championship history with LeBron. Nonetheless, the Cavaliers officially released the young big man, Edy Tavares yesterday. And announced late yesterday that not only have they signed free agent Mario Chalmers to a one-year minimum deal, but the league has also allowed Chalmers to play tonight in Philadelphia!

So far only Coach Lue has commented on the change. "He [Chalmers] makes a great addition to this already great team," Coach Lue said, "I don't see how we don't improve with him here, even after Kyrie returns."
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 am

Report: 76ers [3-2] down the Kyrie-less Cavaliers [4-2] 101-93
From NBA.com
Nov 5, 2016

Team Comparison | 76ers Boxscore| Cavaliers Boxscore
It was a wild night for the defending NBA Champions going their first game without PPG leader and All-Star point guard, Kyrie Irving. After multiple reports of the LeBron James influence on the Cleveland Cavaliers, the end result was a replacement and new backup guard: Mario Chalmers into the lineup. Also, tonight was a night of LeBron putting distance between his career points and the legend of Wilt Chamberlain who he passed recently.

The Cavaliers opened the game hot scoring 20 points in a blur before the 76ers could even score 10. LeBron started the game 3-4 hitting 3 free throws in his two trips to the line. One of the reason for the hot start, outside of LeBron's quick start to the game, was actually Joel Embiid having early foul trouble. Embiid couldn't play 6 minutes before having to be pulled from the rest of the 1st. With his exit, the 76ers were at the mercy of LeBron who began dishing assists to Korver, Love, and Deron. The 76ers caught up however when backup forward and center Richaun Holmes caught fire and scored his 7 game points in the first. The first ended with the Cavaliers up 8 points, with a 31-23 lead.

Throughout the game, Richaun gave the Cavaliers fits as he also began the 2nd and began dishing like LeBron with his time there on the court, finishing the game with 6 assists. With Holmes holding the fort until Embiid came back, the scoring load began to fall on the backup center, Jahlil Okafor for the Sixers. Posting up, catching off the cut, Okafor offensively really held the team and got them closer and closer. This was when Coach Lue had enough and put LeBron back into the game. LeBron began playing point as he dished the ball to shooters increasing the Cavs lead. Kevin Love really came alive here with LeBron's assists as he scored 6 of his 17 points. LeBron himself finished with 25 points, 7 assists, and 9 rebounds.

The game came to the wire until JoJo [Embiid] began his dominance. Having foul trouble all night allowed an ease to the rim for the Cavaliers and allowed their lead to improve. However, midway through the fourth, Embiid began defending the rim to legendary proportions. He recorded both of his blocks in the 4th, and in turn scored on the other end in turn. Embiid showcased his potential as he single-handedly leads the 76ers in the final run putting the Cavaliers away. For that reason, as far as we're concerned, he was tonight's player of the game finishing with 16 points and 9 boards.
Last edited by wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:01 am

LeBron James post game interview
11/5/2016

Reporters: "LeBron, tonight being the first game without Kyrie, it appeared there were hiccups that came out of not having him in regards to the offense slowing down. Coach Ty seems to think, despite the loss, seems to be okay with the overall performance. How do you feel about tonight's offensive bumps?"

LBJ: "Yeah, well we miss Kyrie. That's for sure. There is no getting around us not having him and we need to adjust accordingly. There's always good that can come out of the bad though, and tonight we did a great job executing for two and a half quarters. Now down the stretch, obviously a lot of our offense runs through me and Kyrie usually, so it was sluggish trying to get other guys used to the increased role. All three of our possessions weren't terrible, from the three Channing missed to the drive Kev made that drew the foul right as Joel went on that run. We had some good execution of the gameplan, but there were other plays where this team obviously wasn't used to missing one of our guys. That's on me. I will do better in the next game to lead them more in the fourth. We will clean it up, but tonight was a great learning experience for us. It was good for us to have this game now."

Reporters: "LeBron, tonight saw the debut of Mario Chalmers for you guys. Now there is a report that you had a big hand-"

LBJ: "Yeah, I saw that. It's not true. I don't know where Stephen A. heard that, but it's not true. It's trash. I'm a player here, I'm not the general manager. Grif deserves more credit for his decisions and role. Like I said, the report is trash, just something to give sports heads something to watch. 'Rio is going to be great for us, and that's all there really is to say about that."

Reporters: "Tonight saw a great run from Joel, that you mentioned, starting with a block on Love. Did you feel that was goaltending?"

LBJ: "Yeah, you saw me talking to the refs didn't you? That's what I was talking about. You heard it. Boom, boom. That's not- it was clear what that was."

Reporters: "You also ran into him a few times with screens and going inside. What were your impressions of him?"

LBJ: "Yeah, he's a big boy. Him and Okafor as well, they got two beasts down in the low post. Tonight also will probably have a lot of NBA fans put some 'respect' on Holmes' name. Now it's only waiting, as a Sixers fan, until they get Ben back for them. They got some really good talent."

Reporters: "It seems the Phili fans were a lot more excited tonight than in the past. Did you feel that?"

LBJ: "They're really excited about their young guys. Their draft picks are finally turning around, with the exception of Ben, but he'll get back. Coach Brown has done an exceptional job. That was made more obvious with their win tonight."

Reporters: "Deron Williams had a rough night tonight starting to replace Kyrie, shooting 0-6 from three especially. Do you get on him for that?"

LBJ: "Absolutely not. It's a make or miss league at times. Tonight I missed 4 wide open threes myself, and D-Will gave us a great chance there with six minutes to go hitting the mid over Bayless and the rebound which led us to the break. He had a rough night, but you can never let that deter you from how you affect the game. D-Will did that tonight."
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

Good pickup in the wake of the injury!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:56 am

Around the League: Undisputed
11/7/2016

Joy: "Following another win by the Warriors, they have started off at a scorching hot six and oh start. Skip Bayless, how much credit does Kevin Durant's departure have with the Warriors' great start and do you feel this validates Kevin Durant's decision?"

Skip: "Well let me start off by saying what I said when Durant left, and even after Rus's big FIFTY POINT triple-double against the Warriors last week. I feel Kevin Durant made the right decision leaving Oklahoma City. Now, before I get started on if KD's decision helped the Warrior's get their hot start, let me get into why I feel Kevin Durant made the BEST basketball decision of his life! Last week we talked about after that momentous night by Rus, which Shannon and I both thought he would have, and I said then that will be the typical response from Russell Westbrook. He put up great numbers, but he took THIRTY-THREE shots! He played an excellent game, and don't get me wrong about that, but Kevin Durant would have been at Russell Westbrook's mercy of when he can and cannot get the ball in OKC! That is what Kevin Durant walked away from, and I can't blame him! Now on to the Warriors' hot start. I know how hot that last year's Warriors were, but man, has Kevin Durant ARRIVED in Golden State! I mean yeah his points per game aren't as impressive at twenty-six points, but then you look over the rest of his box score and there isn't anything the guy ISN'T doing! In the past, I've talked about how I feel Kevin Durant has come to just be apart of the gang in Golden State, but on the court, he has taken over! These first six games of the regular season, Kevin Durant has played possessed. He's played angry in ways I'm not sure I've ever seen him play! In the past, we have criticized him for lacking on the defensive end? Not anymore! He's average two blocks and two steals a game! Also, might I add, before you get started Shannon, as a big Kevin Durant fan - I'm very happy to see him play this way so far night-after-night! It's been something to even really beat-out the 'so-called' King out East who couldn't even beat Philadelphia without the real hero, Kyrie Irving!"

Shannon: "C'mon Skip! This topic has nothing to do with LeBron! You and I both know LeBron is taking breaks to get his team, ONCE AGAIN, back to the Finals!"

Skip: "Well he better pick up his play with Kyrie having a broken ankle."

Shannon: "Oh don't you worry about the King, Skip. The King will come in and just give a nice 27 points, 9-10 rebounds, and give you 8-10 assists and still rest his way to the Playoffs! But I digress, Skip. So far this season, Kevin Durant truly has played in the top tier in the League. The most interesting thing about this Skip, however, is that the Warriors are doing more talking now with Durant than they ever did without him!"

Skip: "Yep."

Shannon: "They always used to say they 'let our play speak for itself.' The question of does Durant help better the Warriors - of course, it does! Let's not kid ourselves, Skip. They are the favorites in the league. You mentioned the game against OKC, and as we pointed out then, Westbrook averaged FIFTY-ONE POINTS and had TEN and TEN, Skip! And even with those numbers, the Thunder STILL lost! This team is something amazing and looks on pace to be historic like last year's Warriors were. I don't know if this 'validates' Durant's decision, as I think only a 'chip will do that, but it is impressive. But don't you worry Skip, I'm confident LeBron will have something to say about that!"
Last edited by wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Andrew wrote:Good pickup in the wake of the injury!

Thanks! I needed someone as I knew Felder wasn't quite ready to have more than 9-10 minutes just yet. I'm glad you liked the signing! I was back and forth really between Chalmers and Jack, with Jack having a more consistent test run from 3. However, Chalmers' defense just made my mind up.

On the topic of Chalmers, I am also a little disappointed Chalmers didn't help more against the Sixers. I didn't have great expectations for him going in, just wanted a solid 20+ minutes, but as the game went on: their guards kept laying off him and daring him to take open shots, but he didn't shoot. :? I'm hoping he'll help long term with our depth at the point though all-in-all. Having 3 guys (when Kyrie returns) who can play 20+ minutes is a great benefit for rotations and injury prevention.
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 pm

I'd say you made the right call in terms of the story, what with his history with LeBron and the championship teams in Miami. Hopefully it works out while Kyrie is on the shelf.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Yep, Chalmers was the right call given his history with LeBron (good or bad :lol:).
[Hyperize]

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:50 am

Report: J.R. Smith injured 2-4 weeks
From NBA.com
Nov 8, 2016

The woes keep on coming for the defending champions as now on top of Kyrie Irving's broken ankle, J.R. "Swish" is now also out with a broken toe. From the Cavaliers' reports, Smith injured his toe during a grueling practice. Following the practice, Coach Ty Lue has apparently decided to soften up his practice regimen considering the practice schedule perhaps culprit of these injuries. The Cavaliers have the depth to counter his injury with Kyle Korver, Shumpert, & Richard Jefferson able to step into his role, but the injuries back-to-back must be devastating for the morale of that locker room and front office. Hopefully, the Cavaliers can prevent further injuries down the line and gets out of this bad luck.
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:00 am

Jeez, another tough break. Anyone waiting in the wings (i.e. free agent pool) this time?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:09 am

Cavaliers' [4-2] Love dominates Hawks [3-3] in 111-88 victory
From Cavs.com
Nov 8, 2016

Team Comparison | Cavaliers Boxscore | Hawks Boxscore
The scene in Cleveland was amazing following the unfortunate news of J.R. Smith going down earlier today. The Cavaliers seemed to have the injuries in mind and just dominated the game from the jump. To put in perspective how this game truly was, All-Star Power Forward, Kevin Love had 24 points before the 1st even ended and the entire Hawks' team, they could barely score 11. Yeah, it was that kind of day for your Cleveland Cavaliers. Love finished the game as the undisputed player of the game with 31 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts, and 2 stls on 13-19 FGs and 3-6 from 3. He was having the game in his hands the entire time he was on the floor. Fans have been clamoring for "Minnesota" Love, well they got that tonight.

The man dishing him the ball? That was none other than LeBron James. LeBron started the game off slow, but by the 3rd, he already racked up his triple-double. The game was never in doubt, however, LeBron put up an impressive 23, 13, & 10 to add on 2 stls and 1 blk. That was also an efficient night for the King on 8-15 FGs.

For the Hawks, it was, unfortunately, a pedestrian showing by most of the roster. Tim Hardaway really led the team with an inefficient 16 pts on 33% shooting. The game was a mess for the Hawks and they really look to be miles away from their last year ECF opponent.
Last edited by wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:16 am

Andrew wrote:I'd say you made the right call in terms of the story, what with his history with LeBron and the championship teams in Miami. Hopefully it works out while Kyrie is on the shelf.

So far has been okay with him. He has been what I wanted for him but has not been above my expectations.
cavs4872 wrote:Yep, Chalmers was the right call given his history with LeBron (good or bad :lol:).

I hope so. He's definitely the story fit like you guys have all said. :)
Andrew wrote:Jeez, another tough break. Anyone waiting in the wings (i.e. free agent pool) this time?

I haven't really checked yet. So far, I do think my wings are pretty deep, so I'm not sure he will hurt us too much by missing time. We have Korver, Shump, & R.J. playing up his minutes. The real worry is how these injuries are building up. I already lowered my training back to the default "medium," and fired my trainer. Though the latter I haven't mentioned in the story just because it doesn't happen often in the real NBA like that. They just assume it's bad luck, rarely do they blame the staff. I hope it prevents more injuries. :lol:
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 am

Post game interview
11/8/2016

Reporters: "You didn't seem to start the game off too well, not making a shot in the second, and getting only six points in the first, is that something that bothers you?"

LBJ: "Nah! We started the game off extremely well with Kev taking over the offense. We didn't need me to score too much and when the Hawks began their comeback in the third, I took over then. But it was a spectacular game for Kev. Tonight I think I actually did a better job playing defensively as I have the last few games. I felt like I did a better job playing one-on-one defense and really containing my guy while my offense wasn't going. That I also feel was easier as all my guys were picking up defensively with us being short-handed."

Reporters: "Today the news spread across the NBA with another injury you guys have had with J.R. Smith. How has that impacted this game tonight?"

LBJ: "Well, it really hurt with Swish going down. J.R. is such a valuable three-point shooter and offensive weapon for us, so losing a guy like him always hurts. We're a deep team though, and just like Kyrie going down, we have a deep enough team to hold the fort until he gets back. With guys like Kyle, Channing, Shump, and R.J. we are really next guy up. Still, can't wait to get J.R. back."

Reporters: "Tonight you guys dominated a team that last year you faced for the Eastern Conference Finals. What have you noticed changed about them from that year to this? Were they a different team on the floor, or?"

LBJ: "Yes and no. They were obviously off tonight, but that team always- Coach does a great job keeping those guys moving. They do a great job moving and keeping the ball moving. I think they just had an off-night tonight and with their first game facing Kyle instead of having him on their side probably was a difficult game for them. Defensively they still played a decent game tonight, and they are a good team. By the end of the day, end of the regular season, they'll be right there in the playoffs."
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:26 am

Iman Shumpert latest casualty in Cavaliers' injury riddled season
From BleacherReport.com
Nov 11, 2016

WASHINGTON, DC -- Another guard bites the dust for Cleveland during their 123-115 win over the Washington Wizards. During the game, landing wrong, Iman Shumpert twisted his ankle causing the Cavs to once again go back to the drawing board on who will be playing in the immediate sense. The fortunate news, if you can say fortunate, is that the injury appears to be minor and doctors only advise a few days off from the game.

Nonetheless, with this injury, the Cavaliers are short on guards. Looking for the short term, the Cavs will be using the next two days to open another free agency camp to get a replacement player. More news to come as we are updated.
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

So for anyone interested, I am not entirely sure who to sign, however, I have a few names. Essentially we need a wing to provide minutes to replace what Shumpert has given us. So I'll let you guys decide here.

1. Gary Neal: A 6'4" SG who is mostly an offensive weapon. He is a 3-pt specialist but lacks a good defensive game.
  2. Kirk Hinrich: Another bigger guard, but more all-around than Neal. He can double up as a point guard but isn't as good of a shooter as Neal. He is a much better defender and a better playmaker, however, to make up for that.
  3. Rasual Butler: A much bigger wing who can handle the 2/3 responsibility. Age has decreased his shooting to where he and Hinrich about equal out, but defensively he is slightly better than Hinrich just due to his size. Obviously a better rebounder than either.
  4. Hollis Thompson: A much younger guy than the other prospects. He can, thus, handle more minutes in the rotation. He provides a pretty similar output to Butler for us and can handle the 2/3 as well.

The other thing is we're going to have to cut someone. So here are our cutting options:

1. James Jones: He's really the pick to be fair in a basketball sense. However, in the story, LeBron and Jones are best friends. Would Jones be allowed to be cut in real life? That, I'm not sure.
  2. Andrew Bogut: He's not been what I wanted to be honest. He's been bad defensively, not grabbed boards besides game 1. He's really shown his age. However, I kind of feel like given more minutes he could show up. We just can't start him again. :lol: That was a bad idea by me.

The other option we have is trading Kay Felder for a wing. We're not exactly needing a developing young guard, and there are some bad teams who could use him I believe. However, he's also an asset that we can use down the road to really make a big trade after he develops a little more and gains more value.

Let me know what you guys think I should do!
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 am

I like the idea of bringing in a veteran. Neal might be the best option, having a similar game to J.R. Smith in terms of being a long-range gunner.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Andrew wrote:I like the idea of bringing in a veteran. Neal might be the best option, having a similar game to J.R. Smith in terms of being a long-range gunner.

Neal is definitely an interesting option. I'll have to check his durability before I commit, but who would you cut? Jones or Bogut?
wdt92

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 pm

LeBron James youngest player to 27,000 points
by Chris Smoove, Youtube
Nov 12, 2016

Cavaliers' Boxscore

LeBron James becomes the youngest player in NBA history to score twenty-seven thousand points after a monumental triple-double against the Wizards. It's another milestone for LeBron James. Kobe Bryant was thirty-two years old when he got the twenty-seven K, LeBron did it at thirty-one!
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Realistically, I think Bogut would be the one who gets cut. If you don't think Jones can cut it as a three-point threat off the bench, however, that might make for an interesting twist in the story.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Damn, those injuries keep on coming. It's not catastrophic though, as long as LeBron and Love stay healthy.

I'd probably go with Neal from that list. His shooting could be an asset.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby wdt92 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:46 pm

So, guys, I don't know how it happened, but I accidentally deleted my save file. :shock: I think it was from going online on my steam account which updated the game to the game cloud (I play offline, I got on just to test about updating jerseys and courts), or I may have just accidentally deleted it while updating my PC this morning. Or the game crashed the file due to me constantly updating the draft class through the MyLeague file. Nonetheless, the file is gone. :(

Just for a final update, I ended up going with Neal and cutting Bogut. I played two games with Neal and he finished as a reliable sharpshooter before Shump came back. LeBron had 2 30-point triple-doubles and Kevin Love finished with 1 20 rebound game against Charlotte (Thompson had foul trouble) and another 20+ scoring night against Toronto. We won both, though the game against Toronto was within 3 points. No injuries and the game was actually getting rid of those battery symbols next to my guys which hopefully meant no more longterm injuries. I had high hopes before the save file mishap.

Truthfully, with the file gone, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the next story, or if I'll even do one. I know I'm going to pause before jumping into another one if I do, but I'm definitely deflated at the moment. I will be reading your guys' posts and stories though! Thanks for reading and responding to my story also! It was neat writing for it. :)
wdt92

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Ah, that's some terrible luck! If you do jump into another story, or even just another game that you play without making a story topic, it's always a good practice to save twice and make regular backups of the save files. I know it's not very helpful advice in retrospect, but moving forward, it is a way to avoid further heartache.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood