[NBA Live 06] Washington Wizards | The Silver Bullet | Trade News

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: [NBA Live 06] Washington Wizards | The Silver Bullet (13-8) | March 2006

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 am

JuicyShaqMeat wrote:Damn, that Phoenix game looked like a nailbiter. Great performance despite losing on overtime.

A little caveat though, the article should indicate the Wizards final score as 110, not 96. I had a headscratching moment when I thought their score decreased, but good thing you have the box score posted.

Good catch, fixed.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 am

T-meter is nostalgia; I never remember it being that fast though. :lol:

Good to see Live 06 have an equally as trash sim engine as 10, though the Hawks do look that bad; it's happened before. The beautiful days of Boris Diaw playing guard.
[Hyperize]

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:18 am

Ye Olde Wizards return in loss to New Jersey
By NBA.com staff / March 29, 2006

@New Jersey (15-9) | L 85-99

Boasting one of the best backcourts in the NBA, the Nets barely put up a sweat as they sent the Wizards home with one of their few double-digit losses of the season. Familiar problems returned for the Wizards as horrid 3-point shooting, foul trouble, TOs, and selfish play led to an ugly performance.

Richard Jefferson led all scorers with 23 points. Vince Carter added 15, and Jason Kidd 13. The frontcourt was the only bright spot for the Wizards as Jamison and Haywood scored 22 and 20 respectively. Butler added 15, and Arenas recorded a double-double with 13 points and 11 assists. The Marko Jaric on display against Phoenix was nowhere to be found as he scored a total of 3 points on 1-8 shooting.

Player of the Game: Richard Jeffereson
Box Score
Next Game: Mar 31 @Chicago
Last edited by Breems on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 am

Hmmm... a potential 4-5 matchup between you guys?

Those Nets were one of the cooler teams of the 2000s.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 am

That Nets team needs to make a return in NBA 2K. Hopefully Jaric's shooting in the previous game doesn't turn out to be a fluke.

On Superstar difficulty with a poor shooter, the T-Meter could be absolutely brutal. On the other hand, sometimes I found the faster meter easier because I had to react quicker. There were times that I think I psyched myself out with better shooters, or was too quick on the trigger and paid for it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am

Andrew wrote:That Nets team needs to make a return in NBA 2K. Hopefully Jaric's shooting in the previous game doesn't turn out to be a fluke.

Yeah, I love that Nets team. I nearly chose them for this story but decided the Wizards needed a little more work and would thus be more fun.

Jaric opened this game with a 3-pointer, so I was hopeful he had finally found his groove. Then he bricked everything else. Good times.

Andrew wrote:On Superstar difficulty with a poor shooter, the T-Meter could be absolutely brutal. On the other hand, sometimes I found the faster meter easier because I had to react quicker. There were times that I think I psyched myself out with better shooters, or was too quick on the trigger and paid for it.

Yeah, I can see that. It's difficult to be good at both. I haven't checked my FT% in a while, but I'm betting it isn't that great.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:33 pm

One trick is to let it pass a couple of times instead of trying to stop it on the first movement. If you let it go too long it'll keep moving faster, but a couple of left to right, and up and down movements, and it's easier to time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Andrew wrote:If you let it go too long it'll keep moving faster.

Hmmm, TIL.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Agent Zero's last-second shot saves Wizards in the Windy City
By WashingtonWizards.com staff / March 31st, 2006

@Chicago (5-18) | W 105-89 (OT)

Washington finished off March with a visit to the United Center for a matchup against the struggling Chicago Bulls. Despite a talented starting 5 and long-awaited playoff appearance last season, the Bulls have only managed 5 wins this year. Many Bulls fans have speculated that coach Andrew Begley's unexpected retirement left the Chicago front office and roster in disarray, and the organization has yet to recover. Don't let the final score of this one fool you, though. The Wizards needed all hands on deck to walk away with the W.

Washington started the game in their comfort zone with Arenas and Jamison living off the pick-and-roll. Chicago started slow but found their groove in Q2. Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler were a defensive nightmare in the paint, blocking or altering nearly every shot the Wizards put up in the paint. Jaric was no match for Ben Gordon on the perimeter. Arenas, the league leader in steals, couldn't get the edge on Kirk Hinrich and found himself sidelined early with foul trouble. Eddie Jordan made some adjustments at half-time to get his Wizards back on track. The Bulls had controlled the boards and dominated the paint defensively, so the Wizards set up shop in the second half with a 2-3 zone to solidify the middle and force Chicago into more outside shots. It ultimately worked as the Bulls went 6-25 (24%) from 3, and the Wizards won the rebounding advantage 43-36.

At this point, a close game is nothing more than a day at the office for Washington, and tonight was no exception. After struggling with foul trouble early, Arenas had been huge in Q4. With the game on the line, the Wizards needed a defensive stop and big shot to send the game to OT:

phpBB [video]

The demoralized Bulls had nothing left in the tank for OT. Their depth had been an issue all game long and finally caught up with them. An energized Agent Zero cut his way through the Chicago defense like butter for a dominating OT performance. Arenas finished the game with 26 points and 10 assists. Jamison, the unsung hero for the Wizards, was consistent all game long, scoring 29 points to go with 8 rebounds. For the Bulls, Hinrich had 20 points and 8 assists, Gordon scored 24, and Eddie Curry posted a double-double with 17 points, 11 rebounds.

Player of the Game: Gilbert Arenas
Box Score
Next Game: April 8th @Charlotte
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Tyson Chandler from halfcourt: just the shot you want in that situation! :lol:

Clutch win. Loving my cameo. Maybe the Bulls will need me to make a comeback...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:19 pm

Andrew wrote:Tyson Chandler from halfcourt: just the shot you want in that situation! :lol:

Clutch win. Loving my cameo. Maybe the Bulls will need me to make a comeback...

I think they do!

Haha, that was hilarious. Steve Kerr: "Chicago now has an opportunity to set up a play for their best player." CPU: Tyson Chandler from halfcourt. For every time the CPU gets cheeky, they pay it back with a dumb decision.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

At least they called timeout and didn't just inbound it for a shot from full court. It wouldn't have surprised me with the AI lapses we've seen in the past!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:03 pm

Offense: Attacking the Basket

Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison are obviously the focal points of the Wizards offense, and they're arguably at their best when given the freedom to create offense for themselves. The Wizards often take advantage of that luxury, but offensive sets are still crucial for getting others involved and keeping the defense honest. Coach Jordan joins us in the film room to break down a few of his go-to plays.

It doesn't get much simpler than this. Arenas and Jamison are a perfect 1-2 punch for the timeless pick-and-roll.

phpBB [video]

Rising Sun is still based on the pick-and-roll but focuses on proper spacing for maximum effect.

phpBB [video]

This is one we like to call Scorer PF. Arenas sets up shop on the right side of the wing with the option to iso while Jamison comes off a high-low double-screen to get position in the post. Jamison's uncanny ability to score in the paint makes this a staple of our offense.

phpBB [video]

This is our Boston set. It's tough to pull off, but when it works, you're rewarded with an easy layup. With the floor spread out wide, the SG/SF takes the ball on the left wing while a big man comes up to set an elbow screen to allow the PG to roll to the hoop. A tall wingman with excellent passing skills like Caron Butler can send the ball over the top of the defense to the slashing PG for an easy layup.

phpBB [video]

Sonic is great for exploiting a size advantage in the post with an athletic SF like Caron Butler or Jared Jeffries. After overloading the left side of the floor, the SG cuts to the lane on a double-screen. This is mainly misdirection as the SF then jumps out of his screen and curls to the hoop.

phpBB [video]

This is a new one we've been working on. Rocket Fuel is a simple cut to the basket off a high screen. Much like Boston, it requires an excellent passer to work.

phpBB [video]

Join us next time in the Film Room for a look at the Wizards mid/long-range offensive scheme.
Last edited by Breems on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: [NBA Live 06] Washington Wizards | The Silver Bullet (14-8) | March 2006

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Very nice! Great to see a breakdown of the playcalling in NBA Live 06 like that; it's a bit deeper than a lot of us probably remember. Makes for a great story feature as well. Good job!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby wdt92 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:00 am

Breems wrote:
phpBB [video]

Lol. This has to be one of the funniest inadvertent NBA video game calls I've seen. Chicago's game plan was definitely flawless as well. Last second shot: Tyson Chandler, halfcourt 3? I say yes, please.
wdt92

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

Surprised a bottom-feeder put up a fight like that, and as everyone else said, the Chandler thing is pure comedy gold. :lol: Impeccable timing.

Jamison/Arenas P&R video is RIP?
[Hyperize]

Postby Breems on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:03 am

cavs4872 wrote:Surprised a bottom-feeder put up a fight like that, and as everyone else said, the Chandler thing is pure comedy gold. :lol: Impeccable timing.

Jamison/Arenas P&R video is RIP?

Fixed!
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm

*Post moved*
Last edited by Breems on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Did you mean by overwriting/adding to the second post, or by changing the order? There's no functionality for me to do the latter, but you should still be able to edit that post and copy that in there (or overwrite what's in there) as there's no time limit on editing any of your own posts, unless a setting has changed at some point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 pm

Ah, ok. Based on an earlier instance where you said you had fixed the thread order, I thought it was possible. No biggie, I just replaced the 2nd post which I no longer needed.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Oh, I just deleted the posts and re-posted my reply to restore the proper flow to the conversation when that happened. Apologies for being vague about that and causing any confusion! That being said, I could probably change the permissions so that everyone can restore their soft-deleted posts.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:29 am

GM Performance
Overall Record: 14-8
Power Ranking: 17 (+3)
GM Score: 79 (+7)

Top 10s
Full List
* Antawn Jamison: 1st PPG (22.7), 3rd FGM (195), 6th FG% (64%), 3rd ORPG (3.3)
* Gilbert Arenas: 1st APG (7.9), 1st SPG (3.4)
* Brendan Haywood: 1st ORPG (3.9), 4th FG% (65%)
* Antonio Daniels: T-1st FT% (100%)

Around the League
No transactions.

Injuries

April 2006 Schedule
Last edited by Breems on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 am

Home stretch! Looks like I'm currently on track to meet Philly in the 4/5 matchup. That'd be a ton of fun.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby Breems on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 am

Simulated Game
April 8, 2006

@Charlotte (8-18) | L 92-102
Box Score
Next Game: April 18th @Golden State
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: [NBA Live 06] Washington Wizards | The Silver Bullet (14-10) | March 2006

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 am

Odd that Jamison isn't getting any MVP votes, leading the league in scoring and field goal % on a fairly successful team... compared to Shaq padding his stats.

Tough L against a simulated opponent... of course Jaric showed up. :lol:
[Hyperize]

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood