Primed to Ignite :: NBA Live 10 | Rockets fall into 1-3 hole

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [1-0] | NBA Live 10 - W @ Portland

Postby Breems on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 am

Yao might wind up the MVP in both our dynasties.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:17 am

Andrew wrote:Definitely.

Meanwhile, that's an insane stat line for Yao to open the season.

Yup; what a weapon. Dump it down to him the post, score, commmand a double and kick out, not to mention an amazing shot-blocker, rebounder and mid-range game... I feel like if he played today he would be shooting threes.

Breems wrote:Yao might wind up the MVP in both our dynasties.

Definitely. (Y) Going in, I wanted the team to center on him with maybe Artest as a secondary; I hadn't really given much thought to T-Mac, though I feel like he might end being a wild card and potentially the most important player. He's an 80 overall, but he's still T-Mac.

Well I had the day off today so decided to double-dip; another recap incoming... this time not so pleasant.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am

Roy dazzles in Rockets' home opener
Portland 108 @ Houston 87
October 31, 2009

Roy attacks the tin for 2 of his 45 at Toyota; he was an efficient 63% from the field.

So much for home-court advantage; on opening night in Portland, Yao Ming dazzled the Trail Blazers fans with a triple-double, but Saturday night in Houston, Brandon Roy pulled 45 points out of his magic bag. He was the only thing Rockets fans had to be scared of on this Halloween night. Though he did not foul out, Yao Ming picked up five quick fouls in the first half, limiting his aggressiveness.

Overall, the Rockets really lost the game with a slow first quarter; otherwise they looked okay. They're in Utah Monday night to take on a well-rounded Jazz squad in a tough environment.

T-Mac showing some emotion after a nice 360 slam.

Plays of the Game

phpBB [video]

T-Mac with a hot haymaker; this game has nice animations.

phpBB [video]

Relentless Roy won't give up.

Box Scores
[Portland]
[Houston] (check out those McGrady threes; quite a few of them were wide open... I feel Breems' pain :lol:)

ESPN

Around the League

:arrow: A.I. to the Clippers on a 1 yr/$6.03M deal

Previous games (simmed)

10/29/09: 81-74 W @ GSW (Tracy McGrady - 19 points, 4 assists)

The jump to All-Star is much more rewarding; not a lot of room for error, and a sense of urgency as well. I was legitimately scared every time Roy got the ball, but it was exciting. There's still some BS, but that's to be expected; on Pro, it felt like I had a lot of room for error.

As I mentioned in the recap though, I'm missing quite a few open T-Mac threes; is it a dice roll (I remember that was a term being thrown around at the time)? There is a small part of me that feels like the releases are later than one would expect. I was clearly fine with Battier, and one of Artest's misses was a mistake Hail Mary heave. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [2-1] | NBA Live 10 - Tough home opener

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 am

Iirc there was an option to switch from ratings based or based on release
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 am

It was still a dice roll at the time. You definitely had some unkind rolls in that one!

Tough loss, but a couple of nifty highlights at least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Breems on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Yay, welcome to my anti-3PT club! In my previous Houston dynasty, I actually had no trouble draining 3s with T-Mac, but he was a beast back then.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:13 pm

[Q] wrote:Iirc there was an option to switch from ratings based or based on release

Not that I can see; I think this game is more primitive than you remember, though there are some features here that surprised me.

Andrew wrote:It was still a dice roll at the time. You definitely had some unkind rolls in that one!

Tough loss, but a couple of nifty highlights at least.

Yeah, I still enjoy the challenge (although it was a bit brutal). The jump from Pro to All-Star is a bit drastic (win or lose by 20; pick your poison); I don't know how Phil and those guys did it (and they made it look easy), and looking at Axel's story he was playing on Superstar. I could've sworn I heard someone once say All-Star was more difficult than Superstar. Those two stories and Kenny's have been the big three I've been studying... is Kenny's ever gonna go in the HoF? :lol:

There is a setting where you can change the difficulty for the home and away teams separately; if I find something I like, I'd have to change it every time I switch from home to the road and vice versa, so I might put me on Pro and the CPU on All-Star or something. I'm assuming that would just make the CPU play better, and not make more difficult for them.

Breems wrote:Yay, welcome to my anti-3PT club! In my previous Houston dynasty, I actually had no trouble draining 3s with T-Mac, but he was a beast back then.

I just played the next game and he actually went 2/4 from beyond the arc and actually shot worse from inside the line; I peeked at your story and saw you had to adjust the sliders... I think you and I are experiencing a lot of the same issues. I might have to adjust mine, but hopefully the simulation will be kind to me and I'll be able to stomach a few more hard losses if need be.
[Hyperize]

Postby Breems on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:27 pm

No, no. I hired a shooting coach. :)
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm

:lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:37 pm

Houston, we have a problem
Houston 88 @ Utah 114
November 2nd, 2009

Tracy goes strong to the cup after plowing over D-Will; McGrady has been spending some time at PG this season.

Houston, TX (AP) -- What can we say good about this game? Well, the Rockets trailed by as many as 19, but were able to shave Utah's lead to just a point in the third, but the Jazz's balanced attack was just too much for a struggling Rockets team to overcome in front of a rowdy Energy Solutions Arena.

Coach Adelman inserted Shane Battier and Von Wafer (two bright spots this season) into the starting lineup in place of Aaron Brooks and Luis Scola (hoping Battier would stretch the floor), but it was clearly a non-factor.

The Rockets are a .500 team just four games into the season; it's obviously not time to panic, but it is a bit concerning to get blown out back-to-back by two Western foes they were projected to be similar to; the Rockets aim to not get steamrolled again in a potentially scary (if things keep up the way they've been) home game Wednesday night against the mighty 3-1 Lakers who haven't lost since opening night when they dropped their home opener to the "other LA team".

Box scores
Houston [2-2]
Utah [2-1]

ESPN

Editor's note: I swear I've written this like eight years ago in one my old failed stories, but this game has such a dope, chill soundtrack; I have it playing in the background as I write these: La La La by De La Soul and History (Mos Def) are standouts. A nice way to alleviate some of the bullshit gameplay. :lol: This shit was late-2000s but it has a '90s inner city vibe.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [2-2] | Live 10 - Failure to launch in Utah

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Remember, the '91 Bulls started the season 0-3. This can all be a distant memory come June. ;)

About time The Next Level went into the Hall of Fame, I agree. I'm pretty sure Kenny's done with it at this point. Of course he's got moderator powers these days, so if not he can always unlock it and move it back!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [2-2] | Live 10 - Failure to launch in Utah

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Rockets get back on track at Toyota
Lakers 102 @ Rockets 118
Wednesday November 4, 2009

All signs pointed to the Rockets getting demolished by 20 again against the Lakers tonight, but they instead flipped the script. Houston got key minutes from every active player tonight, a rare occurrence for any NBA team; for instance, Yao Ming only played 24 minutes tonight (and was still able to secure his usual double-double) as the seldom used Brian Cook played important minutes, while Chuck Hayes even played a minute more than Yao: this was a feel-good win for the Rockets. It was a playoff atmosphere at home, and even the scrubs played an important role.

Artest led the way with 22 points, while Von Wafer was able to pour in 20 in 20 minutes off the bench; he was a last minute signing on opening day for the Rockets after he spent some in Greece, and it is certainly paying dividends. If he stays consistent, perhaps McGrady can hand the torch to him one day.

Andrew Bynum had a monster 21 & 21 game, but it didn't matter.

The Rockets hope to continue their home cooking Friday night as they host the struggling 1-3 OKC Thunder led by the always-lethal Kevin Durant who's averaging 26.5 points on the year (rookie Harden is so bad he's on the IR :shock:).

Box Scores
Lakers (3-2) [1/2]
Rockets (3-2) [1/2]

ESPN

Media

Pau Gasol hanging and hitting for a tough layup; he had a nice 18 & 13 double-double in a losing effort.

Remember me?

A nice slam from Bryant on what was otherwise a pedestrian night; he did have 8 dimes though.

The Rockets trailed by double digits early, but Yao Ming was pleased when they finished the first quarter with a 36-32 lead, while Kobe was visibly upset.
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [3-2] | NBA Live 10 - Getting back on track

Postby Breems on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Always loved the Rockets/Lakers matchups of the mid-late 2000s to see Kobe and T-Mac go at it. Nice job.

Also, does Live 10 have Chuck Hayes' legendary FT form?
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: Primed to Ignite :: Houston Rockets [3-2] | NBA Live 10 - Getting back on track

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Breems wrote:Always loved the Rockets/Lakers matchups of the mid-late 2000s to see Kobe and T-Mac go at it. Nice job.

Also, does Live 10 have Chuck Hayes' legendary FT form?

The million dollar question; I haven't gotten to the line with him yet, but I can dig into the settings and see that he indeed does have his own form.

I got you tho:

phpBB [video]

:lol: Dude actually had a triple-double in 2011. :shock:
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Clippers a perfect 8-0 after bringing in A.I.
November 10, 2009

Just two weeks into the NBA season and the Los Angeles Clippers are the only remaining undefeated team in the league. :shock: They toppled the Lakers on opening night, and haven't looked back since:

70-61 @ LAL
86-64 V.S. PHX
78-61 @ UTH
114-73 V.S. DAL
62-59 V.S. MIN
81-72 @ GS
86-79 V.S. MEM
112-69 V.S. NOH

Their rigorous schedule certainly hasn't hurt them; they played four days in a row to open the season. They have defeated (and even blown out) quality opponents in LA, Phoenix, Utah, Dallas and New Orleans. They are led in scoring by Eric Gordon at 17.6 PPG, with B-Diddy close behind averaging 16.1 and 7.4 dimes. They didn't even sign A.I. (who comes off the bench) until their third game. Check out the full stats here.

ESPN

Rockets News

:arrow: Carl Landry DTD with sprained elbow.
:arrow: Rockets are in Dallas tonight to take on the 2-4 Mavericks.

Previous game (simmed): 74-64 home win over OKC. Landry probably got injured because for some reason he played 30 minutes over Yao's 18.

Yao puts up a goose egg in scoring, missing his only two shot attempts, while Artest leads the way with just 15 in a low-scoring affair (a pace the Rockets like).

Jeff Green plays shooting guard, Harden isn't even active; Durant did manage to put up half his team's points (if nothing else).
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [4-2] | V.S. LA & OKC; A.I.'s Clippers a perfect 8-0?!

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Tough break with the simulated injury, but on the bright side you're back on track with a couple of wins. Looks like things are working out with Allen Iverson and the Clippers. I guess in this reality, Blake Griffin is playing what should've been his rookie season.

The sim engine/rotation logic was kind of messed up in NBA Live 10. I remember the Cavs often ended up starting Ilgauskas in the middle with Shaq at power forward.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:36 am

Andrew wrote:Tough break with the simulated injury, but on the bright side you're back on track with a couple of wins. Looks like things are working out with Allen Iverson and the Clippers. I guess in this reality, Blake Griffin is playing what should've been his rookie season.

The sim engine/rotation logic was kind of messed up in NBA Live 10. I remember the Cavs often ended up starting Ilgauskas in the middle with Shaq at power forward.

I completely forgot about the Griffin injury, and am not even sure I was aware of it at all. He's starting at SF, as they're absolutely jammed with Camby and Kaman; maybe that's why they're so successful.

And the Cavs are indeed still doing that. :lol:
[Hyperize]

Postby Breems on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:29 am

Ronnie Brewer (tied for favorite player of all-time with T-Mac) adopted Hayes' ugly FT technique when he went to Houston.

phpBB [video]

He never did that in college but had an unorthodox shot because he broke his arm as a kid.
Breems
Back in my day...

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 am

lol, the refs just said fuck the lane violations.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

cavs4872 wrote:I completely forgot about the Griffin injury, and am not even sure I was aware of it at all. He's starting at SF, as they're absolutely jammed with Camby and Kaman; maybe that's why they're so successful.

Almost prophetic, as he's kind of morphed into more of a wing player over the years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Andrew wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:I completely forgot about the Griffin injury, and am not even sure I was aware of it at all. He's starting at SF, as they're absolutely jammed with Camby and Kaman; maybe that's why they're so successful.

Almost prophetic, as he's kind of morphed into more of a wing player over the years.

Yep; when he was traded the Pistons I actually put him at SF for a few PNO games myself: if they play you tight you can drive and poster, but he has just enough of a three-ball to keep them honest. I actually modeled my most successful MyCareer player after that experience as a 6'10", 250 sharpshooting slasher SF; super fun park player, but might go with a rebounding defender when 2K19 drops as the lateral quickness on defense is trash.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:58 pm

McGrady commits tragic blunder in game-winning scenario
Houston 108 @ Dallas 109
November 10, 2009

Let me preface this by saying the Rockets had no business even being in this game; there were some ugly spots in the first half, but they gave themselves the chance to hang around and even the chance at a buzzer-beating victory, but a careless push-off by T-Mac cost them the game.

If anyone was responsible for the Rockets' success tonight, it was versatile defensive stalwart Shane Battier, who had an efficient night on 10-16 shooting (4-5 3PT [his release is awesome]) in route to 26 points in 28 minutes off the bench, while adding his usual defensive hustle. The Rockets featured Yao early and often, but it quickly became T-Mac's game in the fourth quarter.

Jason Kidd had 11 assists, while Terry torched for 23 points off the bench. Dirk was his usual self, adding 28 and 12.

The Rockets hope to get back on track against an adequate Grizzlies team tomorrow night at home. They added Stephon Marbury as a backup to Mike Conley earlier in the season after Breems' boy Marko Jaric got injured quickly into the season, but tomorrow night will mark his return; I am sure he will scorch the Rockets with a few threes. :wink: Marbury is averaging 11 points across 5 contests.

Box
Rockets (4-3) [1, 2]
Mavs (3-4) [1, 2]

ESPN

Does it get any more 'signature'?

phpBB [video]

It was this type of hustle from Battier that allotted him a career-night; Adelman has been toying with the idea of him becoming a permanent starter for awhile.

phpBB [video]
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Artest expected to accept bench role
November 10, 2009

Apparently in a fit of rage after Houston's tough loss at Dallas Tuesday night, coach Rick Adelman has decided to move Ron Artest to the bench: "I like Shane as a glue guy in the starting five, whereas Ron can create or do whatever he wants off the bench, and we don't lose that defensive edge either way", relayed Adelman after the game.

Although the versatile Von Wafer gets key minutes in the second unit, Shane Battier has been expected to make plays, which is not his strong suit at all; he did have 26 points against the Mavericks, but it could've been a fluke, as he wasn't forcing much. Shane is a consummate pro who understands to play within himself.

"It's a long season". Adelman will apparently toy with the Rockets lineup in any way he sees fit; apparently Yao is the only untouchable starter in the starting five, as he is the focus of the team.

ESPN
[Hyperize]

Re: Primed to Ignite [4-3] | T-Mac fails in Dallas + Artest to bench

Postby Breems on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:25 pm

C'mon, T-Mac! Doesn't have that first step he used to.

Also, I never thought I'd see Jaric's name mentioned in another dynasty thread unless it was a trade to beef up the third-string practice squad. :)
Breems
Back in my day...

Re: Primed to Ignite [4-3] | T-Mac fails in Dallas + Artest to bench

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Rockets outlast Grizzlies in low-scoring affair
Memphis 55 @ Houston 61
Wednesday November 11, 2009

The sim engine in this game is fucking weird; Rockets score 4 points in the first quarter, but win the fourth by 16, allotting for a 61-55 victory.

Gay leads the Grizzlies with 17, while T-Mac nets a cool 16 for the Rockets. Artest pours in an efficient 13 in his first game off the bench.

Jaric goes 0-3 from deep. :wink: Apparently he didn't practice for four years.

:arrow: Clippers extend to 9-0, 77-71 over OKC

ESPN

Rockets with decent W in Sac-Town
Houston 86 @ Sacramento 80
November 13, 2009

McGrady leads the way with 22 as part of his career resurgence. Udrih has a solid double-double of 14 points and 10 dimes; the Rockets contained Kevin Martin well, allowing the swing man to score only 11. Nocioni lead the way with 19.

As an interesting aside, the Kings picked up Ben Wallace on October 30th after he was a salary dump in the Shaq to Cleveland trade.

ESPN

Clippers extend to 11-0 beating OKC twice and the Raptors once; meanwhile, we are in LA to tangle with the 5-4 Lakers who are seeking revenge after Houston handedly defeated them on November 4th. Chuck Hayes playing DTD through sore back; no big deal. Landry has fully healed.

Hornets lose a key piece as Okafor will miss 2-3 months with a torn Achilles.
[Hyperize]

PreviousNext

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood