Postby Rugshtyne on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:03 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:It's fun

phpBB [video]

Major improvements I've noticed so far:

-General movement
-shooting animations
-dribbling
-probably close to 100 new animation packages

Can you confirm whether you can change the eye colour when you scan your face?
Rugshtyne

Re: Demo Impressions Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 pm

I'll be trying it in 3 hours or so on lunch.

How does it feel overall? Any input lag?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby timmyd on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:43 am

Got a chance to play for about 4 hours on X1.

I was really impressed at first, but NBA action still didn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, there are a alot of improvements and I have no doubt in my mind, if EA continues on this road and stays patient with themselves... and sales. NBA Live 2020 or 2021 should finally be the best NBA video game (if the other competitor continues going down the path they are on as well).

I'll definitely purchase NBA Live this year at full price, last two years I waited for prices to drop.

I'm a franchise/simulation guy so I really hope the finished product for NBA 5 on 5 action is better than what I just experienced and of course hope that they finally spent time on Franchise mode.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:46 am

timmyd wrote:Got a chance to play for about 4 hours on X1.

I was really impressed at first, but NBA action still didn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, there are a alot of improvements and I have no doubt in my mind, if EA continues on this road and stays patient with themselves... and sales. NBA Live 2020 or 2021 should finally be the best NBA video game (if the other competitor continues going down the path they are on as well).

I'll definitely purchase NBA Live this year at full price, last two years I waited for prices to drop.

I'm a franchise/simulation guy so I really hope the finished product for NBA 5 on 5 action is better than what I just experienced and of course hope that they finally spent time on Franchise mode.

I'll be making my own impressions soon.

But can you explain further what made it not feel right in your experience?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby timmyd on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:47 am

Dee4Three wrote:I'll be trying it in 3 hours or so on lunch.

How does it feel overall? Any input lag?

I didn't feel any input lag, or at least nothing significant. I still don't know what they are lacking in terms of NBA action. It felt different than the other modes they made us play. The movement's were still a bit robotic or stiff. Even with saying this, I must acknowledge that they've improved vastly in this category and it is indeed A LOT smoother than years past.

Some jump shot animations, pump fakes and post shots were still weird but I'm sure this can and should be improved by next year and by 2021 it should be in the conversation as the best basketball game. That is of coarse, EA doesn't lose focus and or try something new... which has been an achilles heal to a degree.

NBA Live 10 is still better imo.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby timmyd on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 am

Dee4Three wrote:
timmyd wrote:Got a chance to play for about 4 hours on X1.

I'll be making my own impressions soon.

But can you explain further what made it not feel right in your experience?

Sorry I didn't see this before as I was typing.

What felt not right:

1. Some pump fakes.
2. Fadeaways.
3. Post up shots.
4. Player stances (atleast felt a bit non realistic, guys were just standing up right, it was almost like the ball handler was always in a ninja position ready to attack all the time lol).

Also, dunks were still easy to do and at times it was way too easy to score inside.

before I forget, sometimes a post up shot or layup felt and looked really really good... but the ball would like go up into the air and into the hoop in a very unrealistic way... like the physics behind that were off.

I don't know if I can put it into the right words, I'll definitely play some more when I finish work.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby ThePointForward on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:54 am

timmyd wrote:NBA Live 10 is still better imo.

Make sure yo uaren't looking through those pink tinted nostalgia glasses. It happens to everybody.

If you can maybe it'd be worth to revisit Live 10 and try to see what actually feels off.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:34 am

"Also, dunks were still easy to do and at times it was way too easy to score inside."

It's people like you that created the patch last year that made it impossible for users to score inside, but not the CPU. Be careful what you wish for lol

Dommy73 wrote:
timmyd wrote:NBA Live 10 is still better imo.

Make sure yo uaren't looking through those pink tinted nostalgia glasses. It happens to everybody.

If you can maybe it'd be worth to revisit Live 10 and try to see what actually feels off.

I was a fan of Live 10, but I wouldn't go that far. It had its shortcomings for sure.

I played through The Rise last night and it played much like Live 18 which is great. Some real improvements have been made here. First thing you notice is the variety of animations. Tons of new animations and signature shots. To me, at times it seemed less responsive than last year (stuck in a short canimation) in favor of a pretty animation. It was a little noticable on defense, going for steals, and on offense without the ball. Shots seemed very responsive though, so that was nice. So overall, if you're just watching it, it looks better but is actually at times less responsive than last year's game.

In comparison to last year's The One mode which basically a series of street games where you try to hit objectives, this felt like there was more to do, with selecting your squad from your pool of players and managing the matchups as you can switch the positions around. I'm a PG and I wanted Maya Moore on the team but I switched her to PG to avoid putting her in a matchup against Oladipo on the defensive end. Does everyone get Kevin Knox after the first game?

And court customization is sick. It's got most of the options as the 2k editor so I was pleasantly surprised. I wanted to recreate The Great Western Forum and the only limitation I had was not being able to out text inside the circle, but I honestly did not expect that option to be available so I wasn't too disappointed. It will be awesome when I get more stuff unlocked for it. Looked like the retro logos and whatnot they showed are unlockable for 25000 points, which might take some time to save up for. Each game gets you like 1000-2000 and I think I had maybe 6000 after a couple of games.

They added some depth to the archetypes so from backcourt defender I could choose a player to model myself after which adds another trait and skill to add to.

A lot of the unlockable animations are still earned in game. All free throw rituals are unlocked so you can shoot underhand if you want. Shooting animations selection is not limited by position this year which is great. I just hope they give you a way to unlock all of them. Last year it felt like I didn't even unlock 50% of the possible animations

My face in game seemed overall not as good as last year. However, seems like they were able to get more details in the face which I guess is one improvement over last year.

It was an adjustment to play with a clock as I often found myself looking at the score wondering what we were playing to. It did seem to extend the game in case of a blowout. I don't recall any fouls being called though. The last to game in The Rise were fun twists on the game so I'll let you guys see for yourself
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:18 am

I'm going to probably stream tonight, but I will just say that I am impressed. I played awhile on scrimmage.

Why can't I find the Celtics vs Warriors regular game option? Where is it?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:47 am

It's in the main menu after you complete two games in The One. Make sure you're completely backed out of The One menus, otherwise you won't find it. It's under "NBA Play Now" or something like that.

Personally, I liked the menu layout from Live 18 better. It's less confusing at first.
RayRay_953

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:02 am

shinron15 wrote:It's in the main menu after you complete two games in The One. Make sure you're completely backed out of The One menus, otherwise you won't find it. It's under "NBA Play Now" or something like that.

Personally, I liked the menu layout from Live 18 better. It's less confusing at first.

Thanks.

Yeah, the menu is rough. I'll live though.

Excited to play more when I get home.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:45 am

Listening to the soundtrack separately on Spotify, I wasn't a fan of some of the songs yet but I feel like they are cutting some songs short or mixing the songs early which I am enjoying
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:15 am

I did a Live stream and gave my thoughts on the game. It's an hour, but I felt it was a decent session.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:51 am

SMH I tried fixing my face but accidentally deleted my whole player. Luckily I didn't get too far
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Shit looks f'ing good based on Dee's stream; he's right: 2K games have just become exercises in abusing animations. I dream of the day where basketball IQ will reign supreme and 99% of park ballhogs will fall because of this. I literally stopped playing with other people because of that, but when you are on the same page as your teammates (which is rare) it can be a joyous experience.

Ed Cohen? What happened to Breen? Now they are back to square one, and the commentary is going to suffer in its robotic ways as always.

timmyd wrote:NBA Live 2020 or 2021 should finally be the best NBA video game (if the other competitor continues going down the path they are on as well).

I keep feeling this as well, but every year I keep pushing the supposed year it should be able to match or beat 2K further and further ahead; they are making all the right improvements, kinda at too slow of a slow pace.
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Played for a few more hours.

The bumping is a tad much, and it's amplified by the fact that the moves are not very explosive. Also, lack of control is a concern, as when you push the shoot button around the hoop, you never know what you are going to get. Players also feel a bit heavy.

You notice all of this more when you play on Superstar. The game is not without its faults, but it's a big improvement over Live 18.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby jajawatawat on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 pm

for me, improve the commentary and the make the crowd more loud and know when to cheer because sometimes even in 2k if hometeam shoot its just like meh
jajawatawat

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Yeah, the commentary is a total joke; there has to be an article explaining why Breen and crew aren't in the game.

Made my guy 6'9", 220 and his arms look like Stretch Armstrong; dude looks like a beefcake. Didn't even bother with the face scan as I don't have any of the login stuff; didn't have any issues last year, but it's already a pain in the butt.
[Hyperize]

Postby mrk326 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 am

gameplay feels A LOT better than last year, as usual the graphics are top-notch. i agree with jajawatawat tho, they have to improve the commentary.
ACCEPTING DONATIONS
DONATE
mrk326

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 am

Interesting "unscripted moments" I've had: Draymond Green blocks a shot near the rim and he hits it off the heel of the rim and it flies up off the backboard into the air. Also, Tatum drives to the basket untouched, whistle blows, and he lays it up and in with contact from Cousins. He makes his one shot free throw. I go to the replay to figure out what the hell happened. They called a foul on Durant during the drive as he manhandled and cleared out Hayward
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:21 am

[Q] wrote:Interesting "unscripted moments" I've had: Draymond Green blocks a shot near the rim and he hits it off the heel of the rim and it flies up off the backboard into the air. Also, Tatum drives to the basket untouched, whistle blows, and he lays it up and in with contact from Cousins. He makes his one shot free throw. I go to the replay to figure out what the hell happened. They called a foul on Durant during the drive as he manhandled and cleared out Hayward

Honestly, this one of the exciting things about Live 19 right now.

A lot of the on court happenings feel authentic. I've said before that the game needs some fine tuning, but overall it's giving us a much better game of NBA basketball this time around.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:32 am

Only watching few videos :
- Gameplay looks great. IA seems to play in the right way. On defe
- About animations, great step, seem less robotic, however upper body still looks a little stiff.
- Graphics, reflections looks better courts but courts and crowd are darker than 2K18 (no dead atmosphere Dee ? :cheeky: )
- Sounds are generic: crowd sounds dead and commentaries sound hollow. (no dead atmosphere Dee ? :cheeky: )
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Only watching few videos :
- Gameplay looks great. IA seems to play in the right way. On defe
- About animations, great step, seem less robotic, however upper body still looks a little stiff.
- Graphics, reflections looks better courts but courts and crowd are darker than 2K18 (no dead atmosphere Dee ? :cheeky: )
- Sounds are generic: crowd sounds dead and commentaries sound hollow. (no dead atmosphere Dee ? :cheeky: )

Listen to the crowd noise throughout the game (and watch the crowd animations throughout). I don't consider it dead atmosphere which is why I didn't call it dead atmosphere. The defense chants don't sound like they are coming from a high school gym, the crowd is reacting to a lot more plays, etc.

I've streamed the game for over 3 hours already, and mentioned on my second stream that the commentary sounds basic, with repeated phrases a bit often, and that it sounds more like a radio broadcast than a tv broadcast. I've stated that I also didn't really like the commentary last year, but it helped the authenticity to have Breen and Van Gundy in the game.

Your sarcastic faces are to imply that I am being biased, intentionally leaving details out in my critiques. Which royally PISSES ME OFF, because I have done nothing but be completely honest about both games. I have critiqued this game about what it needs work on in my opinion gameplay wise

- Not enough explosive animations
- Small dribbles and not enough individuality with said dribbles
- Shots around the basket feeling like we don't have enough control
- Speed overall being a bit slow and sluggish so we have to jack up the speed to 100
- Slight input lag
- Slow catches and some other slow animations
- Pick n Rolls are a bit easy
- Transition defense needs work
- Commentary is basic and repeats itself
- Bumping being excessive which makes the ball handler unnecessarily pick up his dribble a bit much
- Free throw system could use work. The way it is now, eyesore animations happen a bit often
- Strange ball physics occur off the rim sometimes. A soft shot will go up and the ball will ricochet hard
-The in game menu is not very user friendly (reminds me of a windows 10 layout). Many people have stated they couldn't find the exhibiton mode for NBA and WNBA

(All of these things I have mentioned in my streams for this game)

Instead of taking unguided, sarcastic shots at me, take that time to either stream the game and give your own verbal thoughts, or keep your thoughts and attention on the video game.

Anybody who has listened to my streams can see that I have been completely open and honest in my critiques about basketball gaming in general

Cut the shit, Sticky-fingers.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:20 am

Anybody else think that the auto-substitutions need some tweaking? For instance, I've never seen Semi Ojeleye substituted in for Boston from the couple of games that I've played. In fact, I had to manually sub in Ojeleye to help defend Durant towards the second half since auto subs wouldn't do so.
RayRay_953

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 19