What are you listening to right now?

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Postby Lean on Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 pm

shadowgrin wrote:Wiki says all of them already are...

Time to jump to another group, then!
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:19 pm

This man is a bleeping genius.

phpBB [video]
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:16 am

I went and saw a concert with my girlfriend last week, and yes it was my idea.

I was listening to Pandora while working out at Planet Fitness a little over a month back, and this song came on. Totally hooked me, motivated me at the same time. Had never heard of Lindsey Stirling before, but the song was good enough where it made me check out more of her music. Now I've listened to basically everything she has done.

In concert... holy shit. One of the most real/energetic performances I have ever seen. In between songs (After playing a few) she would talk to the audience. Turns out she recovered from depression and anorexia, she had it bad as a teen and young adult. She also stated "I know that the depression is always inside of me and can come out at any time, but I fight it off with positive thoughts, I have a routine now". Which, I found to be great advice, as well as admired her for her brutal honestly about her own condition past and current. She also talked about losing her friend (Only 32) and her father to cancer recently, and she has a song dedicated to both those losses. Most of her music has some meaning behind it, and you can tell when she performs. When she was addressing the audience about her friend/father, and her depression/anoriexia, she actually shed real tears. I was in the 4th row (Literally right in front of the stage) it was unreal...

She looks like she can't be taller than 5'3", and weigh no more than 120 lbs. But her energy on stage, and just the performance overall, is something that I have never seen the like of before. So much respect for her. I learned after that she worked really hard and got a shot on American Idol, in which she got kicked off of and told that there wasn't a space in the music industry for a female violinist. She also was insulted by Piers Morgan, in which she used as fuel to her fire. Her second song on stage, she had tombstone props with Morgans name on it, and someone else who told her she wouldn't amount to anything. After her music gained traction (To the tune of 200 million views on one video, no joke) she ended up on dancing with the stars. So a lot of people know her from that.

I never in my life thought that I would choose to go see a woman violinist, especially with my background growing up listening to mostly rock/hard rock/heavy metal. But, I don't regret it. Out of the three concerts I have seen this summer, she was easily the best. The diverse crowd was another excellent part of the show. You had people from all ages/backgrounds/races, and people just overall being in awe of what was happening on stage. I've never seen so much appreciation from a crowd.

Anyway. Here is the song I heard at the gym that blew me away. It's called "The Arena". The show I saw was at the Merrill Auditorium in Portland, Maine (Seats 1900)

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:29 am

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:48 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
phpBB [video]

Not the ideal video to post right after the post I made. Not saying it was intentional, but "Wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black" isn't exactly the golden follow-up.

Either way. I grew up listening to Nirvana, I had "Unplugged in New York" and numerous other Nirvana goodies. Sitting in front of the TV listening to Kurt Loder of MTV News break the news of his passing is something I will never forget. That, the OJ Simpson trial (And chase), Reggie Lewis passing, are three very big events that happened when I was growing up.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:55 am

It was really what i listen at the moment. Not the same memories, but 1994 wasnt a great year ; few weeks later, my racing idol died at Imola.
sticky-fingers

Postby [Q] on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 am

I love Lindsey Stirling. I've seen in her in concert before. It's one of her older songs, but I like Crystallize the best. Gotta love that Dubstep violin
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 am

[Q] wrote:I love Lindsey Stirling. I've seen in her in concert before. It's one of her older songs, but I like Crystallize the best. Gotta love that Dubstep violin

She played that one about 5 songs in. She had her music video cascaded in the background on a huge screen while she was playing. Good to see someone else on here that appreciates her music.

She's easy on the eyes as well.

I guess she comes around New Hampshire/Maine every year, so I'll have to go see her again next year. I am drawn to musicians/celebrities who give off a "real" vibe. Like, people that a regular dude like me can connect with on a human level. Lindsey hits that spot with me.

I actually went and saw Vertical Horizon, Tonic and the Gin Blossoms this summer as well. Vertical Horizon seemed to have the best connected with the crowd.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:09 pm

phpBB [video]

Also, I guess I'm going to see Katy Perry on Friday. Bought the ticket on a whim since the prices were slashed. Have no idea what to expect.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 pm

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 am

Kenny wrote:
phpBB [video]

Also, I guess I'm going to see Katy Perry on Friday. Bought the ticket on a whim since the prices were slashed. Have no idea what to expect.

You will probably see her fake pass out

phpBB [video]

I guess this is part of her routine for this song, and a lot of people fell for it. Including me when I first saw the video.

Tell me if she lip syncs (If you can tell). During the Lindsey Stirling concert, I was so close to the stage that I was able to see every little thing she did. And of course, I wasn't sure if I believe that she could dance/run around on stage/jump while playing the violin. As in, I thought I might see some fakery. But I was totally wrong, she was playing every cord (And in one of her songs that I know very well, she actually slipped up a few times and hit a wrong cord). It made me appreciate her music/performance more.

Difference with a performance like Perry and Stirling as well is: I think Perry is mostly programmed. She's even admitted that she didn't even want to do this type of music, but it was what would make her famous (She wanted to do country music). She also doesn't write her music, shes one of MOST of the artists now in "Popular Music" that is just there to get out messages that the industry wants them to get out. Afterall, look at her videos and all the messaging that exists in those, the lyrics are just the icing on the cake.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 am

Oh, I'm not really expecting it to be good :lol: I guess I'm going just for the spectacle. If nothing else, pop acts I've seen in the past have had really good stage performances. Plus I figured it'd be an interesting story down the line. Someone who isn't a Katy Perry fan - and kind of thinks she's a wanker - going to her show and possibly enjoying it.

Yeah, I'm strange. Don't mind me.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:58 am

You probably never hear about Nicky Hopkins, he was in my opinion the best piano player from mid 60's to mid 70's.
His story is fascinating.

Pretty sure that no one here ever hear this song and his brief group :

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 am

Favorite band, favorite era :

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:44 pm

A recent discover for me, Mazzy Star :

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby Kenny on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 am

Lately I've really gotten into the band Living Colour (primarily their first album, Vivid) and I just bought a ticket to see them in December.

Of course, most people know them for this song:

phpBB [video]

But Vivid is an awesome album from start to finish. Here are a few other awesome tunes:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 am

My current trip (still)

phpBB [video]
sticky-fingers

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm

GOAT song; no questions asked.

phpBB [video]
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am

phpBB [video]

Can we talk about why a song like this is 1000x better than Drake, dare I say Eminem (might catch flak for that) and everything else today; there's a sense of nostalgia (I wasn't even alive when this song dropped), taste and quality that makes this song (and other songs of the time) timeless. Drake (as an example) is more worried about having swag than making music he actually cares about: change my opinion.

If the alternative is 'Simple' by Florida Georgia Line, then shoot me in the head.

RIP '90s, you magnificent bastard; most everything was bearable, if not life-changing.
[Hyperize]

Postby Kenny on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 am

Speaking of 90s, I've been on a bit of a Pearl Jam kick lately. I've always loved songs like Alive, Better Man, Even Flow and Jeremy, but lately, I've grown an appreciation for more songs in their catalogue (mainly from their first three albums. After Binaural... not so much).

A few other favourites: Rearviewmirror, Daughter, State of Love and Trust and Go.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Nick on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

My kind of thread! Music is basically the main theme of my entire existence.

Is that a Todd Rundgren song i see posted above? Yeah noice!!

I noticed a lot of hip hop stuff on the first page, maybe some of you will like a Spotify playlist i've been slowly building since 2014: Smooth Hip Hop. It's got 3,500 followers and i regularly get submissions from artists wanting to be on it.

Also, to catch up for lost time, i'm gonna post too many recommendations...

Something groovin':
phpBB [video]

Somethin' feel good:
phpBB [video]

Somethin' rockin':
phpBB [video]

Somethin' somethin':
phpBB [video]

Somethin' unique:
phpBB [video]

Australia's most talented band imo:
phpBB [video]

If you're a hip hop fan and you haven't heard of J Dilla then you need to get your head checked:
phpBB [video]

Somethin' captivating:
phpBB [video]

The perfect weekend music:
phpBB [video]
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 am

Nick wrote:Is that a Todd Rundgren song i see posted above? Yeah noice!!

Don't even get me started man; I was just listening to that song again, and have convinced myself he is Jesus Christ incarnate, walking the planet.

You have exceptional taste; I run a dynasty story for NBA Live 10, so I always have that soundtrack running in the background. These are two songs that totally fit your vibe:

phpBB [video]

(I swear I have heard this cowbell in the back on Alanis Morissette and Beck records)

phpBB [video]
[Hyperize]

Postby Nick on Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 pm

^ They are both great fits! Especially that first one. Added.

Todd Rundgren is the man. I discovered him cos Tame Impala said he's one of their biggest influences, and you can definitely see it on that Wizard Star album.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:48 am

Speaking of Todd and the NBA, there is this instrumental (queued up) they always use in recaps, etc., that sounds like it sampled his biggest hit, Hello It's Me.
[Hyperize]

Postby Nick on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Speaking of Todd and the NBA, there is this instrumental (queued up) they always use in recaps, etc., that sounds like it sampled his biggest hit, Hello It's Me.

Good pick!!! Definitely does sound like that's the sample.

Here's other songs that sampled it: https://www.whosampled.com/Todd-Rundgre ... It%27s-Me/
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic