Melo to Hawks Trade

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Melo to Hawks Trade

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 am

LeBron did take his eye off Delonte, though.

I'd say Melo will start. As you said, the spot is wide open with Ariza gone. I imagine he would've forced his way to start even if Ariza was still there, though. He seems to be vehemently against coming off the bench, even if it meant significant sixth man minutes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:03 am

Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:59 am

Some fair points being made there. This line raises a few pertinent questions, however:

They only need Melo to come in and do his job as the fourth or fifth piece for this team to get better, not be the superstar from 10 years ago.

We know that Melo doesn't want to come off the bench, but even if he starts, is he going to be content with the role of being the fourth or fifth player in the pecking order? Can he be at all effective in that role? Can he, or is he even willing, to tailor his game as necessary? Does he expect his 15 field goal attempts per game from last season to be there in Houston (effectively replacing Ariza and Mbah a Moute's attempts combined)? Even if he doesn't set them back, does he move the Rockets forward at all?

Again, I think there are some fair points being made there. If Melo is willing to accept that lesser role and can find a way of being more effective and efficient in it, it could possibly work out. On a one year deal, there's not as much risk, either. At the same time, I believe it's fair that people are sceptical.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Andrew wrote:Can he, or is he even willing, to tailor his game as necessary?

We both know the answer to that question, Andrew. Carmelo has always been a one-trick pony, and doesn't give effort on defense.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:13 pm

I suspect our gut feeling will be correct. He is a versatile scorer, but he's also a guy who's had the ball in his hands a lot throughout his career. He's not going to get the same touches with Harden and CP3 handling the ball and running the offense. Even if he's happy with that arrangement, can he be an effective scorer in that scenario with his skillset? He can post up, and spot up from the midrange out to three-point territory, but it's not necessarily his preference to be playing off the ball as much as he likely will be, and he's not an outstanding shooter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Andrew wrote:I suspect our gut feeling will be correct. He is a versatile scorer, but he's also a guy who's had the ball in his hands a lot throughout his career. He's not going to get the same touches with Harden and CP3 handling the ball and running the offense. Even if he's happy with that arrangement, can he be an effective scorer in that scenario with his skillset? He can post up, and spot up from the midrange out to three-point territory, but it's not necessarily his preference to be playing off the ball as much as he likely will be, and he's not an outstanding shooter.

It amazes me how many folks think the Rockets are a better team with Anthony in the starting lineup.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Wishful thinking. If it's about wishing someone could step up and knock off the Warriors, I understand.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 am

This is the only acceptable Melo copy-pasta related to the Warriors.

clock winds down to 5 seconds left in game

ball is inbounded to Carmelo who turns face to face against KD

"You took my family"

moves to the left

"You took my friends"

moves to the right

"You took all that was dear to me"

clock winds down to 2

"I cant get them back, but I can do this for friendship, FOR MY FRIENDS"

goes up, fire coming out of his shoes

"CARMELORUKEN"

Ball flies over KD's head, goes straight into basket. Carmelo falls to the ground, exhausted.

"Harden... Senpai... I..."

faints

Final Score

Warriors 103

Knicks 63
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Jeffx on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:15 am

Hey Andrew, I'll believe this when I see it;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 59490938cc
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Same, but perhaps the streak will come to an end after all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 am

Kevin wrote:This is the only acceptable Melo copy-pasta related to the Warriors.

clock winds down to 5 seconds left in game

ball is inbounded to Carmelo who turns face to face against KD

"You took my family"

moves to the left

"You took my friends"

moves to the right

"You took all that was dear to me"

clock winds down to 2

"I cant get them back, but I can do this for friendship, FOR MY FRIENDS"

goes up, fire coming out of his shoes

"CARMELORUKEN"

Ball flies over KD's head, goes straight into basket. Carmelo falls to the ground, exhausted.

"Harden... Senpai... I..."

faints

Final Score

Warriors 103

Knicks 63

Roflmao
I Hate Mondays

Postby Lamrock on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 am

I actually like this move. They had a golden opportunity to beat a complacent Warriors team, but their high variance strategy burned them at literally the worst possible time. After losing a key starter in Ariza, they needed to get somebody.. Not only for morale, but also because there's a serious dearth of NBA players on this roster. Even if plays as bad as he did last season, he's still easily the fifth best player on that roster.

And another thing - I don't think it really matters if he starts or comes off the bench. People seem to think that he would dominate in a sixth man role, but if he starts he'll be a team cancer and torpedo the team on both ends... The Rockets usually only go 7 or 8 deep, so he's going to be playing with mostly starters anyway. Is it really worth fighting tooth and nail for the privilege to start Gerald Green or James Ennis instead?

Crazy to think that 18 months ago, Melo and Isaiah Thomas were playing together in the all-star game, and now they're memes.
Lamrock

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Ok last year's team, he would probably not have started. Losing Ariza gave him a good case to start at the 3
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball