Dark Souls

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Dark Souls

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:04 am

Hello, I just thought I would create a thread for this game. I used search and didn't find one.

Well, I'm level 70 now and am currently in the Crystal Cave. Which to no surprise has become difficult. From Giant Crystal Golems, to invisible floors. It has made my experience with this game very frustrating. I mean, I am still 'human' and haven't died. (I have died before)

But, I really don't want to die again and I have used my rare ring of sacrifice already, which was when you fight Seath The Scaleless for the first time. I read on the wiki that you're supposed to lose that fight, so I equipped that ring so I wouldn't lose anything.

Well I guess you could say that I'm asking if anyone here plays this game, and if you do you could add me on PSN.(Sorry I don't have an xbox yet) I recommend this game, because as challenging and punishing as it is, it has great feeling of rewards. :)

PSN:Capt_Keith

My primary Dark Souls build is rather light weight. I like to be able to maneuver quickly, especially out of the way of attacks. :cheeky:

Primary 1:Lighting Spear 4+
Primary 2: FireBow 5+
Secondary 1: Silver Knight Shield
Secondary 2: Sorcerers Catalyst

Because I have spent so much time in this part of the game, I am running extremely low on arrows and bolts. Including my Firebombs, throwing knives, and Homeward Bones.

If you can . . I'd like to trade you can drop some arrows or whatever, and in return I can give you weapons/armor that I don't use. (They are pretty good, some of them I can't wield properly anyway)
Last edited by Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt(K)

Re: Dark Souls

Postby deihatein on Tue May 22, 2012 2:19 am

This will be released for the PC so :dance:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Cpt(K) on Tue May 22, 2012 2:25 am

dei. wrote:This will be released for the PC so :dance:

So I heard, but my PC wouldn't be nearly strong enough. So I'll probably play it on the console. :wink:
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 24, 2012 2:25 am

Well I am now level 82 after some major cramming through the demon ruins, I'd done a lot over the past hours. I've gotten as far as Lost Izalith, and are about to destroy the bed of chaos.

As soon as I find a summon sign so I don't do it alone . .

Prior to getting to Lost Izalith, I was in the demon ruins. Which I was constantly being invaded by laggy backstabby Black Phantoms. However, I eventually got across, went in and killed the firesage demon, then the centipede demon. Which due to a glitch, not that I exploited it or anything though.

You see I had ran through some of the lava past some rocks/dead trees. And it became stuck in its walking animation. So I had brought 400 standard Arrows with me thankfully. I didn't have to engage it in a melee though, so in NG+ I guess this is one boss I shouldn't worry about.

I am in Lost Izalith and my current status is . .

Level 82
Right Hand 1:Silver Knight Sword +5
Right hand 2:Black bow of Pharis +7
Left Hand 1:Crest Shield +5
Left Hand 2:Talisman (I use it for homeward, heal, and emit force)
Cpt(K)

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Forget the summon sign, it was hard enough trekking over to the boss without being invaded constantly by black phantoms. So I went on a suicide run, died and went to fight as an undead against the bed of chaos.

The Ground leading up to the heart broke apart. And I found my self falling to my doom, I lost 85k souls because I hadn't touched my bloodstain yet. I eventually returned after farming the lower-halves of the undead dragons. (2000 souls each in NG) Then when I replenished my arrows and repaired my weapons. I returned, I managed to get to the heart and destroy it. I then realized how simple this boss is.

Similar to that of the Dragon God in Demon's Souls, you don't fight it directly at all. Head for the 2 yellow roots, slice them. Then head to the heart and slice it.(The heart takes more than one swing if your not strong enough, it also can attack you as it is a parasite)

So I'm level 89 now, I have invested Greatly in my STR and my DEX attributes. I am on my way to the tomb of giants, where I shall fight Gravelord Nito.(He's the one I left last)

My current Build is as follows

Right Hand 1:Silver Knight Straight Sword
Right Hand 2:Black Bow of Pharis +11
Left Hand 1: Grass Crest shield +5
Left Hand 2: talisman

My armor set is custom, I use different pieces from different armors.
Cpt(K)

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:09 pm

shadowgrin wrote:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

:dance: :headbang:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Lamrock on Wed May 30, 2018 6:58 am

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this six year old topic because the remaster just came out, and it's pretty much the same game.

After years of resisting, I've joined the Soulsborne cult. I made it probably a third of the way through Bloodborne when it first came out, but shelved it because it was just too difficult for me. However, after beating the new God of War, I was craving something somewhat similar and I decided to give it another shot. Oops. There's just something about the game that makes you want to pick it up again, ten minutes after pondering shattering the disc with a sledgehammer. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played, and I'm glad I finally got over that hump and was able to finish and enjoy it.

So after finishing that, I resisted the urge to go NG+ (for now) and picked up Dark Souls. It's.. a bit of an adjustment. I got to be pretty good at Bloodborne, but Dark Souls is a different beast. Wish I were better at the shield-based combat, but it'll take time. I am optimistic that one day I'll be able to clear the first (non-tutorial) area...
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 am

The biggest adjustment I found was not being able to fast travel. Backtracking is probably the most annoying part of DS1. But yeah, learning to use the shield more often helps a lot. I just don't trust myself with the game's parry mechanic.

But yes, I welcome you to the select bunch of weirdos who actually enjoy this series :)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:14 am

Dark Souls reminds me a lot of the old Resident Evil games, with the interconnected areas, similar save system, emphasis on backtracking, and the possibility of dooming yourself if you aren't careful. It makes sense that most mainstream games are designed to not be frustrating, and indeed those have their place. But Dark Souls is a game that actually gets the blood pumping. It's fun to play sober - in fact its almost necessary to play it sober..

There's a cosmic realism to it as well. It's unforgiving, but fair. The world isn't designed to make the players fail, but the developers aren't benevolent either.

Having said that, the game is a bit dated now, and I've had to use walkthroughs and summons at times, which has cheapened some of my triumphs. Still, a wonderful game and I can't wait to complete the whole series (except Demon's Souls unless they remaster it)
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:34 am

It's definitely a rewarding experience for people who persist with it, but I think that's often one of the biggest barriers - people don't persist with it because it's not fun to constantly die in a video game. I was guilty of it myself. My first Souls experience was DS2: Scholar of the First Sin, and that game isn't a very good entry point. Personally, I think it's the hardest game in the series.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 am

The hardest part is always the beginning. These games aren't as difficult at they might lead one to believe, but when you start each game with an underpowered character, and a vague tutorial, it's easy to get discouraged. But outside of some seriously OP bosses, the games get easier the more you play them.

I see some people hating on the re-master, which I find surprising. The graphics and frame rate are considerably better, the AI seems to be improved in spots, and the online is active. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 am

I don't understand the hate either. As you said, everything runs a lot better and one the biggest selling points is definitely the online portion working again. Plus I like that developers are porting older games to newer consoles, because I never get tired of games I love, but the older consoles don't adapt to the newer technology that well (I tried playing a PS2 on a new TV... the quality was pretty bad).

Speaking of online, let me know if you need a hand on one (or more) of the bosses. I'm out of humanities at the moment, but I think you can still put down a summon sign while being hollow (you just can't summon anyone yourself). I'm also able to fast travel, so I wouldn't have to backtrack. I have access to the last boss, but I think I might need a few more levels before I can beat him.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:11 am

Ah yes. I do still enjoy these games. I'm afraid I'm one of the disgruntled veterans though, I was hoping for more with the remaster. There's been a lot of discussion about the differences between a remake and remaster. I certainly would've preferred a remake, but would've been fine with a remaster had the developers actually put half the effort that was the Scholar of the First Sin. I may still buy it, probably will, many of my friends have it now. I just purchased Tekken 7 on the Steam Sale ($20), because of this I find paying half off for the remaster ($20) seems unjustified. I don't know, I still play all of their games from time to time-- I'll get it eventually.

Also, Demon's Souls is playable on PC-- given that you'll need a decent PC to run it at all-- some people have a smooth experience. In the computer I built last November I did include a blu-ray drive, but now just need the proper software to actually read/write the media. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZfDSi5O7dg

PS: SteamID is: the_capt_k
Cpt(K)

Postby Kenny on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I can now add DS1 to the list of Soulsborne games I've completed in some capacity (the other two being Bloodborne and Dark Souls III). After dying to Gwyn several times because I was two-handing my right-hand weapon, I realised he was super easy to parry with a shield. After that, he was possibly the easiest boss in the entire game. I might post the video later.).
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:18 am

Kind of hit a wall here. After getting wrecked over and over again by Ornstein and Smough, I eventually caved and summoned for the fight. The person I summoned made quick work of the bosses, and it left me with the emptiest feeling. But I moved on, played through the Catacombs, and reached the infuriating Tomb of the Giants. And... I decided to give Dark Souls III a try.

Dark Souls III is amazing, though I have mixed feelings about it. Feels like Bloodborne shoehorned into the Dark Souls universe. Will probably go back to DSR after 20 more failed attempts at the Abyss Watchers though.
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:20 am

Understandable - Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants are two of my least favourite areas in the game (Blighttown really isn't that bad in the remaster). The run to Gravelord Nito can be horrendous as well.

Dark Souls III is fun, but I can't even remember how I beat the Abyss Watchers. I just know that I tend to get obliterated by multiple bosses.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby jwin on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:01 am

is dark souls 3 more story driven or more hack and slash? i've contemplated getting this for a while but put it off.

i have shadow of mordor which seems similiar to me, but the story mode seems like it was an afterthought of the game and i keep losing interest, whereas i also have ghost recon wildlands and the story is really intriguing, but the number of missions gets tedious after a few hours and i have to take a break from it.

just wondering what this one is like, the trailers i've seen don't give a lot of info about the story.
jwin

Postby Lamrock on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 am

I didn't mind the DS1 Catacombs so much, though those bonewheels were a pain. And I don't know how they didn't buff the boss's HP in the remaster. Tomb of the Giants is just not fun. When I return to that game, I'll probably try to knock out the other areas beforehand so I'm OP for the tomb. I liked Blight Town. One of the most memorable parts of the game. Really not as difficult or unfair as it first appears (plus if you have the master key there's a good chance you skip the first half of it)

The Abyss Watchers was one of the best Dark Souls fights I've done. Though in hindsight it shouldn't have given me as much trouble as it did, it led to me checking out some other stuff I'd missed, and rethinking the way I approached much of the game. The second phase was cake, but because I had to get past the first phase to reach it, I couldn't learn his patterns. Now I have three different places I can go, all of which are kicking my ass. :P

Dark Souls 3 is a hack-and-slash game with very strong RPG elements. There is hardly a plot at all. It is however, chock full of lore, but most of it is difficult to appreciate if you haven't played the first game. Dark Souls 3 is an absolute blast to play, but its story is not a strength in my opinion.
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:50 pm

I have to admit, I pay almost no attention to the stories of Soulsborne games, and I kind of like that they don't rely on you knowing what's going on with the narrative. They're the kind of games where you can absorb as much or as little as the story as you want to.

I'm up to Ornstein and Smough on my current playthrough and I have no humanities left. Like you, Lamrock, I blew through it my first time around because I summoned. But this time around, as I went to summon, I was invaded almost instantaneously and got my ass handed to me.

I considered leaving Anor Londo and grinding my way back up, but then I remembered that in order to get back, I had to go through Sen's Fortress. And as much as I love that part of the game, it is a bloody gauntlet to get back to the other connected areas. So, I'm kind of stuck in Anor Londo at the moment until I figure out how to defeat Ornstein and Smough by myself.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 am

Relatively speaking, Sen's is pretty easy once you've memorized it. If you haven't done so yet, it might be wise to play through the Catacombs so you can get your bonfires kindled to 20 Estus. Not gonna stop O&S from one-shotting you, but it will help!
Lamrock

Postby Kenny on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 am

I've gone through the Catacombs and actually made it all the way through the Tomb of the Giants, before finding out that I couldn't access the Gravelord Nito fight (golden seal :cry:). Finding the way out back through the Tomb of the Giants and the Catacombs (while trying to avoid the spinners) was insane and involved a lot of swearing. So I guess that's why I haven't tried making my way back through Sen's Fortress yet :lol:

I think that's what I'll ultimately do, though. Apparently, Ornstein and Smough's weakness is fire weapons, so I might modify a decent-reaching weapon. While I can use the dragon tooth without fat-rolling now, it's still way too slow to use while dealing with multiple enemies.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am

Managed to make my way through Sen's Fortress, defeated a couple of optional bosses (Moonlight Butterfly and Capra Demon), picked up some more humanities in the Depths, then went back to kill Ornstein and Smough with some help. Since then, I've defeated numerous bosses - including two I didn't fight in my original playthrough.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice! I started playing this again. Struggled with the Duke's Archives, so I went and played through the Demon Ruins, which was surprisingly easy. Now trying to make my way through Lost Izalith...

What kind of build are you playing with? My character is a fast-rolling Dex character. I've put some points into Faith, but my +10 Iaito does a lot more damage than my Divine weapon. Might go through with a Sorcerer next time though.
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 am

They really need to improve on the co-op functionality, it's poor in Dark Souls 3.

Not sure how many of you have tried it out, but it operates on a "Ember needed" basis, and your co-op partner only is allowed 1 healing flask. The bad guys double up I think (It feels like double the enemies), but your co-op partner is at a disadvantage. In order to get ember (farm them), sometimes you have to join other peoples games and help them beat bosses, etc. Just the way it works kind of stinks.

I get that it encourages people who want to co-op the game to purchase two games, and I am cool with that. But making co-op so tough to start/continue with is frustrating.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Next

Return to Off-Topic