Kawhi Leonard Traded to Raptors

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Kawhi Leonard Traded to Raptors

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 am

Kawhi Leonard Trade Rumors: Lakers Currently Spurs Star's Top Destination

San Antonio Spurs small forward Kawhi Leonard reportedly would like to be traded and has the Los Angeles Lakers atop his wish list.

On Friday, Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News noted Leonard wants to be traded. Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN then reported the 2014 NBA Finals MVP would favor a deal to his hometown of Los Angeles, with the Lakers ahead of the Clippers as his preferred landing spot.

For all the denials throughout the season, it seems like where there was smoke, there was fire. It was tough to believe with the way things have gone in San Antonio for so long, but in this instance it seems there is indeed a rift and dysfunction afoot, with a seemingly very unlikely player. Potentially good news for the Lakers, obviously.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Kawhi Leonard Wants Out, Prefers Lakers

Postby Sauru on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 am

this is the only possible way lebron goes to the lakers. if it happens then the lakers are clear favorites for lebron
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 am

I hope the Lakers can swing it without giving up any more young players
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:29 am

Lakers gonna lose one of Randle, Kuzma, or Ingram in a trade for Kawhi.
Doubt the Spurs would want Lonzo and the baggage of his dad.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:09 am

Apparently the Celtics are in play as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:59 am

Pop ain't trading Kawhi to LA.
Jackal

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:42 am

If Stevens is the new Popovich it would make sense for Leonard to want to go there.
Jackie Kong

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Sources: Gregg Popovich traveled to California, intends to meet with Kawhi Leonard

Leonard had told confidants that he did not want to sit down with Popovich and has been purposely difficult for the Spurs to reach recently. Among the issues, Leonard is angry over what he believes was the Spurs' mishandling of a quad injury, and remains irate with public comments out of teammate Tony Parker and Popovich that he felt were not supportive of him, league sources said.

A bit petulant on his part, even if his ire is understandable. It's still a surprising situation, given the people and franchise involved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

i remember making a post in the past sometime that said every off season is nothing but a bunch of players saying they want to play for the lakers. how this team is not good at all times amazes me
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Report: Kawhi Leonard's people resorted to hiding him from Spurs personnel during a rehab check-up

The Spurs were in the dark most of the season. Dude, some of the things that were happening was crazy. I probably shouldn’t say this, but I’m gonna say it because Kawhi is about to be out of there. There was a point during his rehab process in New York that some of the Spurs brass went out to see him, in New York. As soon as those guys arrived to the building, Kawhi’s people grabbed him and sequestered him to another part of the building, so the Spurs’ people couldn’t even see him.

It seems like a lot of the people around Kawhi are trying to pull the strings, and causing the most friction. It's still on Kawhi at the end of the day because he's a grown man and responsible for how he conducts himself, but between his uncle and other people in his circle of friends and advisors, there may be too many destructive voices in his ear for this to end well.

A shame, because he seemed like a reasonably humble guy who had his head on straight. The Spurs have done an outstanding job building a positive, professional atmosphere and winning culture over the past couple of decades, but clearly Kawhi's entourage want nothing to do with that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jwin on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:04 pm

sometimes the people supporting don't get it right or give the best advice
jwin

Postby Sauru on Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:54 pm

seriously fuck this guy. have some class
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:30 pm

jwin wrote:sometimes the people supporting don't get it right or give the best advice

For sure. They have their interests and agenda. Friends can be selfish and wrong, even if they are genuine friends.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Kawhi's group makes Maverick Carter look like a saint.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Kawhi ain’t no saint either. Dude is a grown ass man and hasn’t said shit since...well I don’t remember him ever saying anything.

Legit bummed he turned out to be a bitch. Last person I expected it from.

I said the all bitch team is pretty legit when you group them together.

Howard
Cousins
KD
Kawhi
Allen
Jackal

Postby jwin on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:18 am

this may have been the most entertaining article i've read in years for some reason:

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headline ... eId=521270

but as a sixers fan, while i would love to have a healthy kawhi, i'm not sure how much of a fit pau would be. an upgrade from amir johnson and richaun holmes, yes, but not sure he fits in any particular lineup. it may be because i haven't seen him play much really, but the few times i did this past season, he didn't really look the part of philly's offense, but i could be wrong.

for kawhi, it might be worth it, but i'm not convinced that giving up dario saric is a smart move, covington i'm sort of okay with, but definitely against giving up markelle fultz and his potential for this team. zhaire smith could become a serious defender for them, maybe not kawhi-like, but capable enough not to really need to give up what it will take to get kawhi.

am i wrong? do you give up whatever you have to to get a player like him?
jwin

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Pop does wine the way Don Nelson does marijuana, and if you disbelieve that statement, there is a poker game in Maui this Friday night involving Willie Nelson and Owen Wilson at which your bluff will be called through a haze of skunk smoke.

Exquisite.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Sounds like the Raptors have come out of nowhere to take the lead. I mean, they seemed to have a winning formula if it weren't for Lebron, so it makes sense to move either guard for Kawhi but at the same time Lebron is gone now so maybe they should stand pat
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Raptors, Spurs finalizing Kawhi Leonard trade involving DeMar DeRozan

The Toronto Raptors are finalizing a deal to acquire San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard in a trade package that includes All-Star DeMar DeRozan, league sources told ESPN.

An agreement in principle could be reached as soon as Wednesday, league sources said.

Leonard and DeRozan are both aware that an agreement could be imminent, and neither is expressing enthusiasm for the deal, league sources said.

In a final twist next offseason, they both end up with the Lakers. DeRozan is definitely not happy right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Woj says it's Kawhi, Danny Green for Poetl, DeMar, and 2019 first round pick.

1-20 protected, and becomes 2 second rouns picks in 2020.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:27 pm

It's also being reported that Kawhi has absolutely no desire (and possibly no intention) of playing in Toronto. That's going to complicate matters. As I said, it's a real shame he's gone down the path of the pouting prima donna.

EDIT: Well, it seems he'll have incentive to get over it, or face disciplinary action one way or another:

Albert Nahmad wrote:Kawhi Leonard is obligated by Sec 10(c) of his contract to report to Raptors within one week. If doesn’t, w/o reasonable excuse, he’d be subject to discipline by (i) Raptors (or, if trade voided, Spurs) and (ii) NBA, for conduct prejudicial to NBA under Art 35(d) of Constitution.

Further details:

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Kawhi Leonard Traded to Raptors

Postby Wolfy03 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 am

Raptors really got robbed with this trade, considering news that Kawhi isn't really interested in playing with Toronto, and will probalby be out for next years Free Agency.
Wolfy03

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 am

On the other hand, it will clear plenty of cap space and allow them to start over if Kawhi walks. They seemed to have peaked as a team that's really good to great in the regular season, but mediocre come Playoff time. Kind of reminds me of some of the Hawks teams from the 90s, if I had to make an historical comparison.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:15 am

Bloody murder for the Raps; good for them - they get Green and the pick is protected (not a huge deal, but just another plus for them)?!

Might end up benefiting both teams.

... And I just read the part he doesn't want to play in Toronto; that about balances it.

Andrew wrote:On the other hand, it will clear plenty of cap space and allow them to start over if Kawhi walks. They seemed to have peaked as a team that's really good to great in the regular season, but mediocre come Playoff time. Kind of reminds me of some of the Hawks teams from the 90s, if I had to make an historical comparison.

Or even the 2015 Hawks.
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 am

cavs4872 wrote:Bloody murder for the Raps; good for them - they get Green and the pick is protected (not a huge deal, but just another plus for them)?!

Might end up benefiting both teams.

... And I just read the part he doesn't want to play in Toronto; that about balances it.

Andrew wrote:On the other hand, it will clear plenty of cap space and allow them to start over if Kawhi walks. They seemed to have peaked as a team that's really good to great in the regular season, but mediocre come Playoff time. Kind of reminds me of some of the Hawks teams from the 90s, if I had to make an historical comparison.

Or even the 2015 Hawks.

I don't agree with this at all. Not only did the Spurs get a primed Demar Derozan, but THEY (You said the Raptors did) received a protected first round pick (1-20), and an underrated Jakob Poeltl. He is 22, and hasn't hit his ceiling. He played inspiring basketball last season in limited minutes, and plays a position that the Spurs sorely needed support at (Center). Pau's aging body was playing extended minutes last season, and when he was out they were playing Bertans (Poor defender/rim protector/rebounder). This move possibly allows Pau to play off the bench, or atleast get extended rest.

The move allows the Spurs to stay competitive now, while also building for the future. I think this was the best deal they could have taken, considering the circumstances. Derozan may be unhappy that Toronto traded him (rightfully so), but he will report to the Spurs and will fit in nicely in that system. As far as the Raptors go, so many questions exist. One, will Leonard play his heart out for a team he doesn't want to play for? Will he be 100% healthy? Will they have enough success to sway him to sign longer term? Danny Green is on the back-end of his prime, but will help the Raptors (He is 31).

More questions exist for the Raptors than the Spurs in this one, and I think both teams potentially won this deal. We will have to reflect on it again after this season, but I like the deal for both teams at the moment (Assuming Leonard reports to the Raptors and plays hard/is healthy)
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball