Fallout 76

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Fallout 76

Postby Sauru on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:57 pm

i bet this will be a really fun game its just not the game for me. i am not into this style of game at all. wife and oldest son love these types of games so i have tried a few of them also but i always quit and go play something else rather quickly. if i was ever to get into this style of game i am sure this would be the one i would play as its being made by bethesda. oh well i guess i will wait for starfield and TES 6
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Talking it over with a couple of friends yesterday, I'm actually feeling a little more inclined to check it out and play online with them if we all end up getting it. That's not to say I'm not still disappointed though, and would prefer to have another single player Fallout - be it Fallout 5 or a New Vegas-style side game - in the not too distant future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am

A little off-topic, but this is a great video that addresses the "Fallout 3 is not a real Fallout game" argument, pointing out some of the depth that is overlooked or flat out ignored in Bethesda's first game in the series. It's lengthy to say the least, but well-made and well-argued.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm

It's a great video and pretty much on-point with everything he mentioned. I still see a lot of hateful comments for that YouTube video, but the guy didn't say that Fallout 3 is the best among the series, just not as bad as people think.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Unfortunately well-reasoned arguments can only do so much in the face of people who are determined to hate something. I'm glad he took the time though, and the Like/Dislike ratio is encouraging, given the somewhat controversial stance.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

Seriously Bethesda?

HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

I mean, it's a great song, but there are plenty of other ways to listen to it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Fallout 76's service-based direction 'doesn't mark the future' of Bethesda games

In conversation with gamesindustry.biz, Bethesda director Todd Howard assured prospective players that while Fallout 76 takes a games-as-service approach—similar to The Elder Scrolls Online—this is not the permanent outlook of the developer and/or its future games.

"It doesn't mark the future," Howard tells gi.biz. "Corporately we've done a mix—people forget sometimes. Elder Scrolls Online is one of the biggest online games in the world, we have Fallout Shelter which we keep updating, and Elder Scrolls: Legends."

"Anyone who has ever said 'this is the future and this part of gaming is dead' has been proven wrong every single time. We like to try it all. For a long time we wanted to try a multiplayer game and we had this idea. We shouldn't be afraid. We should try it."

The good news is, single player gaming isn't over. The bad news is, it's probably going to be a while before Fallout 5, or a New Vegas-style spinoff.

As I said, with a few of my friends having expressed an interest in Fallout 76, I'm a bit more open to trying it out so that I can play with them. Worst case scenario, it's a video game I end up not liking. I'm not pre-ordering as yet, but i won't rule out getting it, either.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm

he is correct, people keep saying single player gaming is dead and they are constantly wrong however the options continue to become more limited. companies put massive resources into online games while AAA single player games come out at 1-2 a year?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Catering to current trends at the end of the day, I guess.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:21 pm

It's much more expensive to make a AAA title game, single player or other, and always will be increasing in cost as the quality requirements increase. We are lucky to have Bethesda bringing quality single player RPG games.
Now that I think about it, the game looks like a smash and grab taking Fallout 4 and adding multiplayer. They take out human character NPC's, this way it's just real people and AI creatures so there is less buggy quests. Settlement building expanded from Fallout 4. Think they will sell mods for this one, too? It's all about money. I can't wait to play it. :lol:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 pm

Apparently they're looking at a way to incorporate mods, but they won't be available at launch. Obviously there are going to be limitations if and when they do work it out, at least compared to the single player games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 am

Pdub wrote:It's much more expensive to make a AAA title game, single player or other, and always will be increasing in cost as the quality requirements increase. We are lucky to have Bethesda bringing quality single player RPG games.
Now that I think about it, the game looks like a smash and grab taking Fallout 4 and adding multiplayer. They take out human character NPC's, this way it's just real people and AI creatures so there is less buggy quests. Settlement building expanded from Fallout 4. Think they will sell mods for this one, too? It's all about money. I can't wait to play it. :lol:

AAA titles are basically playable movies at this point, so it requires everything a traditional movie needs plus everything a video game needs. They don't seem to have anything new at this point because like at the movie theater, they won't want to invest in a title that people don't recognize and won't but into
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:44 pm

So in terms of story and lore, there are going to be mutated creatures known as Scorchbeasts, while the similarly named group The Scorched are groups of hostile ghoul survivors who take the place of the raider gangs in other Fallout games. Other info summarised by The Vault:

The game retains much of Fallout 4's basic gameplay, with one major difference: The entire game is online, allowing for multiplayer gaming with up to three other players in your party and an upper limit of 24 to 30 players per server. The game saves character progression automatically and retains it across all servers, allowing for a seamless experience. As with other Bethesda games, 76 can also be played solo, without the interference or aid of other players. The new CAMP system allows for setting up settlements in any area of the map, without being tied to workshops.

Furthermore, players can take control of nuclear missile silos that survived the Great War. By collecting nuclear launch codes from ghoulified officers or scavenging them across the map, players can also launch missiles against enemy camps or regions, destroying them and making large amounts of salvage available for pilfering. The target zone is very high level and requires power armor and special gear to tackle.

Radiation is a major gameplay element in the game: Instead of radiation limiting your maximum health or reducing SPECIAL stats, like in previous games, here it increases the chance of you developing mutations over time, which act like traits, giving you a positive and negative modifier. Mutations can be cured or made permanent.

To support its greatly increased area of play, the game uses reworked rendering, landscape, lighting, and weather technology.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 pm

From The Vault's Facebook page, which is sharing tidbits like that as they become available: https://www.facebook.com/TheVaultFalloutWiki/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Another good video about Fallout 3 and Bethesda's approach, at least in terms of single player.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Well, I pre-ordered Fallout 76 on PC. I'll give it a try. Looking forward to the B.E.T.A.

Some information has been released o how Perks will work. Apparently they're in the form of cards, which can be switched up. vg247.com has a pretty comprehensive breakdown: https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/11/fallou ... -gameplay/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 am

Great overview:

phpBB [video]

Incidentally, Oxhorn is a great channel for Fallout enthusiasts in general.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 am

Assorted information from Bethesda: https://bethesda.net/en/article/38siQyg ... fallout-76
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Detailed look.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Live action trailer.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Game is out. Jumped on last night, and after making some tweaks to ensure better performance, I spent several hours playing it with a friend. And you know what? It's a lot of fun!

Don't get me wrong. I don't want this to be the only Fallout experience moving forward. I still want that immersive single player experience with new stories being told in the Fallout universe, but a multiplayer game in that universe feels like it's going to be very enjoyable. I would recommend playing with a friend, but the community has proven to be quite friendly so far. Before my friend showed up I was going solo and joined in an event that was taking place. I was critically injured, and since I didn't know the other people playing, I decided not to ask to be revived. Nevertheless, someone ran over with a Stimpak and did so anyway. I think everyone was so concerned about griefers ruining the experience that it's actually resulted in a largely friendly userbase...at least so far.

It's definitely different getting quests from holotapes and terminals with the only "living" NPCs being robots and the hostile Scorched, but it works. The setting helps, since civilisation clearly isn't close to being back on its feet so soon following the apocalypse. There are some truly gross mutated creatures, too. The approach to SPECIAL works for this type of game, though I wouldn't want to see it used in a regular Fallout title. VATS is effective as an auto-aim system in real time, though again in the single player games, it should remain as is.

Levelling up, at least through the first ten levels or so, is pretty swift. That way, there's not a whole lot of tedious grinding to start using and building better gear, and beefing up your character. It's not so quick and easy as to be unsatisfying, nor are you forced to do mundane things over and over again just to get enough XP in order to have a character that's viable (like certain other games we could mention).

As I said, the community seems to be quite friendly so far, so it is possible to go solo and join in a few Event quests with random people. It is a lot more fun when you can play with at least one other friend, though. It's like wandering the wastelands with a companion in other games, only with more original dialogue if you're mic'd up and with better combat logic (depending on their skill, of course). Is it necessarily the Fallout game I wanted? Admittedly not; like I said before, I was hoping for a New Vegas-style spinoff. But an online multiplayer Fallout game has been in the cards since Interplay still held the property, so it was bound to come to fruition at some point.

It's not usually my genre, but the setting does make it appealing and there's a definite Fallout spirit to it, so I'm on board. Again, I still want single player games moving forward, but I think I'll enjoy Fallout 76 as well. If you're at all open to the concept, I'd recommend giving it a try, or at least watching some YouTube videos to see if you can get into it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Still not sold on it, but I'm glad you're having a great time with it. My friends are more really into *other* multiplayer games so they're not really familiar with the games I like. Might give it a shot someday, but I'm really holding on to not getting another game for now. :shock:
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Completely understandable. If I hadn't come to enjoy a bit of online gaming with the NLSC squad in 2K Pro-Am these past few years, or if I didn't have any friends who were interested in playing, I'd probably be less enthusiastic about it. I was certainly sceptical, but it's turned out quite well. Like I said, I want the single player games to continue, but it's an interesting change of pace.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby el badman on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:48 am

Bought the game on release day even though I certainly wasn't sold either, and I only got to start it right now, played about 1.5 hours.
It's certainly prettier than what I was expecting at 1440p, however the performance is not that great on PC. It's not like it's the most visually demanding game around, yet the performance is much worse than something like Far Cry 5 for example, at least on my PC, which is far from being an old piece of junk. But at least, the lush environments are definitely a nice change and most of the textures seem to have been improved a bit.
Gameplay-wise, having spent hundreds of hours on Fallout 4 there's obviously not much that feels different here, aside from the perks which are a bit confusing at first (selected my very 1st one by error, only wanting to review what it did, and you can't undo it afterwards, just share it I guess). Since it's all in real-time, it also does get confusing that you can be trying to craft or scrap something and you keep getting attacked by scorchers or whatever, but the crafting itself is fairly fun.
Until almost an hour in, I had yet to see any other player at all, I was even starting to wonder if I had somehow been placed in a server of my own or something...That suited me just fine since I bought the game to specifically play on my own and completely ignore everybody else (if feasible). But sure enough I started hearing some shots and as I was crafting something whoever that was ending up shooting a gas canister right next me, while fighting with scorchers, making the whole fucking room explode... No damages from it at all though, probably because I was using a crafting station. After that I saw a couple of more folks looking like weirdos (the character animations remain the worst visual part of Bethesda's engine...) and minding their own business.
After a while it was killing me not to be able to manually save, but I guess I have to trust that progress supposedly gets saved continuously and at the very least when quitting the game.
Fairly positive impressions so far, however I really need to see what tweaks can possibly be made to improve performance on PC (possibly disabling the stupid vsync that Beth's games always force for some reason), because that's a big annoyance right now.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic