Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 am

They will be defensive beasts though, they were already solid on defense last year but this squad could be even better.

I wonder if Randle ends up in Brooklyn to play with D-Lo or in Chicago, they have capspace too. Just hope he doesn’t go to the Kings.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:51 am

I hope he gets paid wherever he goes, though. Someone will see how much he is really worth. Maybe he'll sign a one year deal and come back next year when these guys are off the books lol

Part of them being good defensively was randle
Remember the game he won after switching onto John Wall? Dude was long and worked hard for those rebounds
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 am

I don’t think he’ll be back anytime soon, Mintz, his agent has bad blood with Pelinka from his agent days. Add to that that D-Lo was traded, PG13 didn’t even meet with LA and Randle didn’t get an offer earlier on leads me to believe that won’t happen.

I feel for you though, I know Randle and Clarkson were your boys much like Ingram and Ball are for me. Wish Randle the best.

Edit: Randle to the Pelicans. Playing alongside AD isn’t bad. He and Cousins are close too, wonder if Cousins resigns with them or Deng gets stretched and Cousins signs a 1 year deal or something.

Edit 2: Pelicans need to renounce Cousins in order to sign Randle. Guess he won’t be back with them after all.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 am

Two years, $18 mil?? Assuming if he was offered that by LA he would have taken it... You mean to tell me we couldn't spare $9 mil for a dominant inside player?? Here, let's just drop over $20 mil on dudes that either won't play and/or will be gone next year. I don't get it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby dare on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:12 am

[Q] wrote:Two years, $18 mil?? Assuming if he was offered that by LA he would have taken it... You mean to tell me we couldn't spare $9 mil for a dominant inside player?? Here, let's just drop over $20 mil on dudes that either won't play and/or will be gone next year. I don't get it

It's probably his agent Mintz, they wouldn't even speak with the Lakers and try to negotiate.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Jackal on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am

[Q] wrote:Two years, $18 mil?? Assuming if he was offered that by LA he would have taken it... You mean to tell me we couldn't spare $9 mil for a dominant inside player?? Here, let's just drop over $20 mil on dudes that either won't play and/or will be gone next year. I don't get it

Shelburne, who is essentially Jeannie’s BFF, reported that Randle asked the Lakers to renounce him. He felt he would have a diminished role this upcoming season with the way the team is constructed now.

Guess the 2 year deal with player option makes sense, he’ll probably play his ass off and try to get a big contract somewhere after the year.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:13 pm

The Rondo signing is puzzling. He doesn't seem like a good fit alongside LeBron, at least offensively. As I said in another topic, LeBron thrives on being the primary ballhandler, kicking it out to shooters. Rondo is no shooter, and is best utilised as the primary ballhandler and playmaker himself. One of them is going to have to adapt.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Most of the signings are puzzling. Lance? Rondo? McGee I sort of get, I guess. But not retaining Randle when he's perfectly capable of being a small ball C is a bit annoying. But Magic/Pelinka deserve time to make things happen. They really knocked it out of the park with the rookies and managed to sign Lebron so hopefully they've got this.

It's comforting to hear Kobe talk about Pelinka and reiterate that Pelinka has thought of all outcomes in detail as much as anyone could in this situation. Let's see. Laker basketball was already fun last season, I'm quite certain it'll be even more entertaining this year.

My only hope now is Ingram isn't traded and blows up for all the casual fans/friends around me who say he won't really be a superstar. Come on kid, I believe in you.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 am

Well, if you have a job opening for a janitor (or one year rental) you can't expect to be getting engineers applying for the job lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:15 am

rondo and lance? have to agree with questionable fits. a little strange these are the immediate signings following the big fish catch.

mcgee is an ok pickup. minimum salary and a much needed rim protector.

LBJ is around for 3years so you are guys are still winning
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:24 am

Have to agree with you all. Why all these misfits? Lance, McGee, and Rondo are not worth one damn Randle imho who in my opinion could well be Carlos Boozer on roids when he was with LBJ. Couldnt they have enough to retain Randle with money spent on those misfits?

Playmaker in Rondo and Zo, isnt it kinda redundant with LBJ especially when they are sucky long range shooters? Score first guards like Wade and Mo Williams imho were way to go. But I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Kawhi now is a must. He is near LBJ and Durant caliber player if fully healthy. Having 2 of league's top 5 players should make them a true threat though the Warriors still would be an uphill battle.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:00 am

Lonzo Ball torn meniscus must be that serious despite team statement that he'll be ready for training camp that they had to sign Rondo.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 am

That was some bullshit probably leaked by Lavar. The injury was something from end of the season and I believe he’s already recovered and training. The Laker beat reporters didn’t even bother reporting it.

Another poster did point this out:

Here are excerpts from two article that detail his time on the Chicago Bulls (2016-2017), and the New Orleans Pelicans (2017-2018).

First: https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/rondo-go ... sions-left

> ... So when the Bulls last July needed a veteran point guard to support Butler after the trade of Derrick Rose, there was concern about the potential disruption Rondo might cause.

> It proved the opposite.

> Rondo, the angular 6-1 playmaker, was from the first day with the Bulls **almost an extension of the coaching staff with the team’s young players, a mentor and a source of protection and encouragement.**

and

> ... But it also empowered many of the young players, who were grateful to Rondo for coming to their defense.

> **It was routine to see Rondo long before and after practices working with those young players, teaching and advising them on and off the court. They flocked to him for advice and counsel.**

> Of the three so called Alphas, as Rondo labeled the three All-Stars to start the season, **Rondo was beyond doubt the most helpful, accessible and engaging with the young players on the roster.**

> It was an image almost completely contrary to the expectations about Rondo.

> He was the primary unifying figure the Bulls had on the roster last season.

> And it started in July in Summer League, shocking most observers.

> **Rondo in July was in the gym practicing with the Bulls Summer League players, most of whom weren’t even expected to play in the NBA.** It is rare for NBA veterans to even attend Summer League games, yet work with players. Plus, Rondo then sat on the Bulls bench during Summer League games.

> **Rondo then came to Chicago early in September to work privately with the players.** And then once training camp started, Rondo hired out a top Chicago steak house and hosted a team dinner that included players, coaches and staff.

Second: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2340 ... s-pelicans

> Rondo's status as a team leader runs counter to the reputation he has developed at times over his career, where he has been perceived as a gifted outcast who can rock the boat in the locker room. **The reality is that Rondo has been one of the most respected players on each team he has been on** since a messy divorce from the Dallas Mavericks at the end of the 2014-15 season had some wondering if he still had a place in the league.

> **"I think what the league has taken out of our game, out of the league in general, is just vets around just to be able to give back the knowledge to the young guys, teach them how to be professionals, how to take care of their body, how to come in and work every day," Rondo said.**

and

> ... **Davis**, who has taken his game to new heights this season -- particularly after fellow All-Star big man DeMarcus Cousins went down with an Achilles injury earlier in the year -- **has leaned on Rondo for support and guidance.**

> "I think he's actually the one who got me thinking, 'It's just one game,'" Davis said. "Don't get too high, get too low after that game's over. But he's been a great mentor for me, and it's been fun playing with him."

> Rondo admits that his ability to connect with people and serve as a leader for a team is something he's always had inside of him.

> **"I've played with a lot of great players," he said. "I was a sponge at that particular time. Even now, I'm learning from Jrue, I'm learning from Ian Clark, I learn from everyone as far as just what I can learn, but I'm pretty much the guy that has the most experience and giving as much knowledge as I can**

and

> ... Rondo, who will be a free agent at season's end, **relishes the ability to pay forward lessons to a new group of young players at this stage in his career.**

and

> Life isn't all just about basketball. **It's about life experiences, things you go through off the court. Those guys that's older have the experience. It's only right for you to give back to the young guys so they don't make the same mistakes.** And that's what we're doing over and over again in this league."

> Rondo's presence hasn't just been beneficial to the players; **the coaches have enjoyed having him around as well.**

> "He's the one guy that will text you at 2 in the morning and say, 'Hey, have you thought about this?'" Gentry said. "Or, 'Hey, I think we can do this.' That's who he is. He's a good basketball mind to have around."

and

> ... Mirotic needed **someone like Rondo constantly building him up instead of breaking him down**, and they developed that kinship during Rondo's lone season with the Bulls -- a season that featured Rondo coming to the defense of the team's younger players

—————————————

I want to remind us of some of the things that Magic and Rob have done over the last 1.5 years.

- Emphasize that this is an organization that is at its core, one that ‘serves relationships’

- Has begun the *Genius* series (no matter how cringeworthy), as part of an initiative to ensure that our players find success off the court as much as they do on it

- Used the phrase ‘incredible energy’ and ‘excitement’ in the many interviews given to the press

- Spoke about sustainable excellence

And also think about the context of the new LeBron James era

- The media scrutiny on us will be absolutely incredible. Just look at the gazillions of articles and reddit posts on how our players will perform / will fit / will fail / will be expected to traded away

- The narrative of ‘LeBron’s teammates’ has been there throughout his entire career, and will continue from hereon

- Young players make mistakes, because they are young. And especially because we are the Lakers, think about what kind of media shitstorm and pressure can potentially arise when one of our young players make a certain mistake? Just look at what happened to JR Smith

- We have **9** players on our roster currently that have 2 season of NBA experience or less. This is an extremely young and inexperienced roster here

What I’m trying to get at here is that

- Rondo is seen as a questionable, almost inexplicable signing, because people first and foremost look at it from an Xs and Os standpoint - Rondo can’t shoot, he wasn’t good in the regular season, even by advanced metrics

- We are building for something that extends way beyond this season, or even the LeBron James era, or even the present young core era. Players come and go, even the very best, more loyal, and most durable of all, but the organization and what it stands for goes beyond, WAY BEYOND that

- The Rondo signing is not ultimately about what Rajon Rondo can do on the court for the Lakers, but *how our young players can have the best chance of fulfilling their potential* going into the future

- Rondo will bridge a crucial gap between our coaching staff, veteran players, and young players - he is cerebral enough that coaches lean on his experience and input, proven enough that other veteran players immensely respect, and a strong and willing leader such that young players can learn from him about the finer nuances of the game on and off the court

I’m not sure that’s the main reason but it soothes me to think of it like that so I’ll just roll with it. Like I said; it’ll be entertaining in any case.
Jackal

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:46 am

Another good thing about Rondo is he won’t be afraid to call out LeBron if the latter is not playing his best.
Come to think of it, Rondo and Lance Stephenson won’t hesitate to do that.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:22 am

I think they could have passed on KCP. Hart is a worthy replacement and when all these guys are gone next year and Kawhi or Butler gets signed, you'll still need to fill out the roster and randle could have been a great piece of the puzzle there
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:40 am

what soothes you, jack? there's a lot to chew on in that quote

rondo was fine when he was in that fun filled year in chicago. I'm sure the lakers will squeeze everything they can get for 1 year at $9mil
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 am

Basically that he’s good for the young guys and is there more for them than for Lebron. The young guys are going to be scrutinized to shit now anyways, having Rondo who will have their backs and build them up is soothing. (And that’s it’s not all about Lebron as things tend to be.)

Edit: Q, he asked to be renounced. It was his choice not to continue being a Laker.
Jackal

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:21 am

Rondo entirely wrecked league's top offensive team when he joined the Mavericks and quit on the team in the playoffs, yet he had a lot left to say. He may be a smart mouth who can motivate and encourage but do you really need a bad cheerleader at big chunk of salary?
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:22 am

For one year? At 9 million? Why not?
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:44 am

haha none of us are signing the checks but $9mil for a player coach is pricey. looks bad when randle went for the same amount. man, too bad randle coudn't stick around.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am

For sure, you won’t hear me saying I’d rather have Rondo over Randle.

But I think Randle wanted a bigger role than he expected to have with LA and explicitly asked to be renounced. Also his agent is an ass.

Real shame, dude is going to be a double double machine for years to come. His ability to push the ball after a rebound is also going to fit really well with Gentry who had that luxury in Draymond.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am

Lakers maybe soured on him after getting LeBron since they are similar players?

You guys catch summer league last night?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:29 pm

I've heard it suggested by various talking heads that LeBron may be looking to cede playmaking duties to Rondo and Lonzo and play more off-ball. I have my doubts about him doing that as it doesn't necessarily play to his strengths, but it'll probably work out a lot better than trying to turn Rondo and Lonzo into Kyle Korver, so maybe he's up for a dip in his assist numbers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:44 pm

this lebron signing pretty much puts an end to the "best all time team" debate. no one touches the lakers now
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:54 pm

The Lakers all time team and Warriors current lineup is going to be abused to shit in the upcoming 2K.

So the Lakers had a chance to sign Cousins for the same amount of money the Warriors gave him. They turned down that chance. Was the FO afraid they’d need too many pshyciatrists on the staff to handle all the emotional lesbian personalities currently on the team or is Cousins’ injury/attitude worse than we’ve been lead to believe?

Whatever the case, I’m bummed the Warriors got him and not the Lakers. Oh well, gotta trust Magic/Pelinka, not much choice in the matter.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball