Why does NBA 2K16 Look and Play better than 2K18

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Why does NBA 2K16 Look and Play better than 2K18

Postby BPDHoplite on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 am

My PC broke recently so I booted up my old xbox one and played some 2K16 and it is just so much better than 2K18 it just amazes me :/

Dunks and blocks just feel so much better, crowd looks great, players look great. Has anyone else noticed 2K18 has regressed in other areas than horrific AI?
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Re: Why does NBA 2K16 Look and Play better than 2K18

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

The new motion system's shortcomings have definitely been brought up on more than one occasion. The short recap of my general opinion of the matter is that the new system went in before it was quite ready. Shooting mechanics were also changed, and not for the better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:56 pm

NBA 2K16 is still amazing.
I advice to play with 1.0 version, before patchs killed the game. You can downgrade following this link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =889624474
sticky-fingers

Postby PeacemanNOT on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Shit, I'd argue that NBA 2K14 on the newer gen consoles looked and played better than 2K18. Seems to be a trend with NBA2K games, they get worse every year.

Although I still think out of the things better in 2K18, they definitely improved the jerseys models/textures and body models. That's just my opinion at least.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:16 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:Shit, I'd argue that NBA 2K14 on the newer gen consoles looked and played better than 2K18. Seems to be a trend with NBA2K games, they get worse every year.

Although I still think out of the things better in 2K18, they definitely improved the jerseys models/textures and body models. That's just my opinion at least.

Everybody agrees that 2K14 for this gen is better graphically, I actually havn't seen one person say otherwise. The lighting and atmosphere is also far better. In regards to getting worse every year in many aspects, that certainly is a trend. Remember 2K12? Go back and look at the graphics in 2K10/2K11, and after look at 2K12. It's A LOT weaker graphically, it's like the game had shaders taken out.

I disagree entirely about the body models in 2K18, they look like clay, and they don't look like athletes. NBA players are supposedly some of the best athletes in the world. They went from like 7 body types, down to 3 (Or less, I don't even know anymore). Live may have face graphics that can't compete, but atleast the players look like athletes.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BPDHoplite on Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:41 pm

I love NBA 2K14 on next gen it just lacks modes, association isn't as deep as current MyLeagues, there is no online play and the on massive bum is not being able to sim MyCareer games.

I do love its style and the way it looked but when 2K shuts down their old games servers their playability go down a whole lot.

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 am

It's the downside of having so much online content. Well, that and microtransactions, but even putting all that mess aside, functionality and features are lost when the servers are shut down.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 am

Dee4Three wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:Shit, I'd argue that NBA 2K14 on the newer gen consoles looked and played better than 2K18. Seems to be a trend with NBA2K games, they get worse every year.

Everybody agrees that 2K14 for this gen is better graphically, I actually havn't seen one person say otherwise. The lighting and atmosphere is also far better. In regards to getting worse every year in many aspects, that certainly is a trend. Remember 2K12? Go back and look at the graphics in 2K10/2K11, and after look at 2K12. It's A LOT weaker graphically, it's like the game had shaders taken out.

I disagree entirely about the body models in 2K18, they look like clay, and they don't look like athletes. NBA players are supposedly some of the best athletes in the world. They went from like 7 body types, down to 3 (Or less, I don't even know anymore). Live may have face graphics that can't compete, but atleast the players look like athletes.

Yeah you’re right there, it wasn’t really the body models that improved. I just feel like the jersey model compliments the body models better in 2K18. It has a more fitting look, despite looking baggier. They re-did the models because of the whole Nike takeover, so thank god for that. I’ve mentioned this a lot before, but the models used in 2K17 give all the players this chubby hunchback look. It was one of the main reasons I could never go back to 2K17, since I am a big jersey guy.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:21 am

The body models in 2K17 were not going in the right direction, I agree. That skinny body type is really bad, I can't believe that made it through production. They gave Giannis that body..... dude is a monster.

I can't stand the going backwards, and not acknowledging it. Giving us 7-8 body types, dropping it to 2-3, and acting like it didn't happen. Instead, boasting improved defense (Didn't happen), the best looking 2k to date (Didn't happen), etc.

I hate the way 2K operates, honestly.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BronBron06 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 am

I never played 15 & 16 cause back then my pc cant run them
Which is the best between 15 to 18?
BronBron06

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

I had the most fun with NBA 2K17 myself, though it wasn't without its issues.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 am

2K16 definitely.

Its MyCareer is still enjoyable offline and you can use cheat engine because grinding for offline SP is torture so a boost is handy.
MyGM is the same as 2K17 and 18 so that's really fun.
Uses my favorite shot meter also.
Looks and feels amazing still

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby BrotherJRB on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 am

I think ya'll crazy. 2k18 improved the pace and space game. With the right coach and player settings I love 2k18 gameplay.

Don't get me wrong I love 2k14 but the improvements through 2k18 are vast.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 am

jrlocke wrote:I think ya'll crazy. 2k18 improved the pace and space game. With the right coach and player settings I love 2k18

I have to respectfully disagree about what you said about 2K18. The pace feels nothing like how basketball should, and the players skate all over the floor. Why does 2K18 feel worse compared to previous 2K games, you might ask? Because a great majority of the 2K fan base aren't real basketball fans (look at all of these people who just follow bandwagons, and look up stats on basketball-reference just to make themselves look intelligent), and instead play the Playground mode. When a patch comes, does it reflect how the game is played in real life? No; the patches are "fixes" for The Playground, and obliterate how the proper game of basketball should be played.

Sure, 2K17 has its issues such as the double-team at half-court, leaving the attacker wide open, and animations that last an eternity, but at least the AI is a challenge, and I can't just call ISO after ISO, and run in a straight line due to poor defense, and the cheesy blow-by animations to score nearly 95% of the time like in 2K18.

Also, calling us "crazy", isn't the nicest way to get your opinion across.
RayRay_953

Postby BPDHoplite on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 am

^^^^^

Lmao so true

Ask any of these endless amounts of Steph Curry, Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson lookalikes online who Jason Richardson is then we can talk lol.

Being completely honest 2K19 is my last attempt with the series in its current state because I really enjoy NBA Live 18 and hopefully by 2019-20 it will have frostbite and be on PC.

I know the patches suck but the base game is just so broken I think its reasonable to assume they just gave up......

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 am

shinron15 wrote:
jrlocke wrote:I think ya'll crazy. 2k18 improved the pace and space game. With the right coach and player settings I love 2k18

I have to respectfully disagree about what you said about 2K18. The pace feels nothing like how basketball should, and the players skate all over the floor. Why does 2K18 feel worse compared to previous 2K games, you might ask? Because a great majority of the 2K fan base aren't real basketball fans (look at all of these people who just follow bandwagons, and look up stats on basketball-reference just to make themselves look intelligent), and instead play the Playground mode. When a patch comes, does it reflect how the game is played in real life? No; the patches are "fixes" for The Playground, and obliterate how the proper game of basketball should be played.

Sure, 2K17 has its issues such as the double-team at half-court, leaving the attacker wide open, and animations that last an eternity, but at least the AI is a challenge, and I can't just call ISO after ISO, and run in a straight line due to poor defense, and the cheesy blow-by animations to score nearly 95% of the time like in 2K18.

Completely agree with most of this post.

2K18 has completely broken parts of its motion system, and the pace and space is possibly the most unrealistic in the series dating back to 2K9 up to present. It does not resemble a real basketball game. I can literally call ISOS on every posession, run past the CPU with no moves, and win in blowouts. The AI is not smarter, the defense is not better, and the skating is the icing on the cake.

I can't even play 2K18 for 5 minutes without getting so frustrated that I have to put it down. No settings/sliders fix the skating, one on one defense, or even the help defense. The game is a mess in my opinion.

Loving the look of Live 19 right now, and truly crossing my fingers that 2K19 is a big improvement, as opposed to steps backwards.

Also, I'm really happy that I didn't post Youtube videos of a game that I did not/do not support. I feel really good about that decision.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:18 pm

On top of issues with the motion system, AI, shooting mechanics, and broken/overpowered MyPLAYER Archetypes, there are the problems with the modes as well. The aggressive approach to microtransactions, the cumbersome and tedious nature of The Neighborhood, the terrible storyline and cutscenes in MyCAREER, locking the Auction House behind a bunch of tasks that must be completed in MyTEAM...there's a lot of stuff that's poorly designed or flat out anti-consumer (especially the latter). Admittedly that's not an issue if you're not playing any of those modes - nor is the complete lack of balance online - but other people are playing them, and they are legitimate issues.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BrotherJRB on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 am

shinron15 wrote:

I use a custom roster more suited for D League player attributes and I feel 2k18 plays great. I struggle to get by anyone without using effective moves, picks and rolls and running through plays. I get stopped on iso's (I set up different teams to trap, go under and double team... based on fictional coaches schemes). 2k17 overplayed initial dribble moves and it feels so unrealistic with the stonewall defense. 2k14 has all kinds of flow issues with player speeds changing from back court to front court. Plus the around the basket animations in 2k18 finally feel like real basketball compared to previous versions. I don't remember 2k15 and 2k16 too much as I didn't play them a whole lot.

Now I only play custom, offline myleague so my opinion has nothing to do with online play/playground/playing with the Warriors or Cavs. So maybe that is the difference. And sorry if you were offended by calling you crazy....just a manner of speech in the states. But my opinion is based on years of playing "real" basketball in video games.
2013 is the year?
Thanks to Vl@d, Leftos and all the other patchers for their hard work.
BrotherJRB

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:11 am

That'd definitely make a difference in terms of the overall experience you're having, so that makes sense.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:23 am

jrlocke wrote:
shinron15 wrote:

I use a custom roster more suited for D League player attributes and I feel 2k18 plays great. I struggle to get by anyone without using effective moves, picks and rolls and running through plays. I get stopped on iso's (I set up different teams to trap, go under and double team... based on fictional coaches schemes). 2k17 overplayed initial dribble moves and it feels so unrealistic with the stonewall defense. 2k14 has all kinds of flow issues with player speeds changing from back court to front court. Plus the around the basket animations in 2k18 finally feel like real basketball compared to previous versions. I don't remember 2k15 and 2k16 too much as I didn't play them a whole lot.

Now I only play custom, offline myleague so my opinion has nothing to do with online play/playground/playing with the Warriors or Cavs. So maybe that is the difference. And sorry if you were offended by calling you crazy....just a manner of speech in the states. But my opinion is based on years of playing "real" basketball in video games.

I don't play online, ever. I am strictly an offline player who has tried basically every slider set in the book, as well as messed a ton with the defensive schemes. Absolutely nothing has helped the one on one defense, or the overall defensive issues in the game in general. Using moves is pointless when you can just press the joystick forward and the guy is automatically on your side and you can get to the hoop. The flow of 2K18 is a mess on the floor, and as stated prior, the skating is the icing on the cake.

Thank you for further explaining your stance, but those motion system issues are part of the engine and cannot be fixed with sliders. I am hoping that 2K19 makes major tweaks to that system, so that the on floor action is more realistic, challenging and fun to play.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 am

jrlocke's post is about custom roster, not sliders.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 am

sticky-fingers wrote:jrlocke's post is about custom roster, not sliders.

He says he's can't just drive to the hoop, and that he has to pull off moves, that is what I am contesting. I can use a slower than death center (Like Whiteside) against a quicker big, or even a guard, WITH speed turned down to like 30 and on ball defense and other sliders at 99, and I can still just push forward and get to the hoop the majority of the time, and finish.

I'm stating that the issues with the motion system can't be fixed or even curved greatly with slider tweaks/attribute tweaks, or a custom roster.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby BPDHoplite on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 am

Dee4Three wrote:

He says he's can't just drive to the hoop, and that he has to pull off moves, that is what I am contesting. I can use a slower than death center (Like Whiteside) against a quicker big, or even a guard, WITH speed turned down to like 30 and on ball defense and other sliders at 99, and I can still just push forward and get to the hoop the majority of the time, and finish.

I'm stating that the issues with the motion system can't be fixed or even curved greatly with slider tweaks/attribute tweaks, or a custom roster.

Just like in real life strength can play a factor in that so maybe check that out too, although it would vary from player to player and not be a slider fix.

BPDHoplite
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:47 am

DaCrispy wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Just like in real life strength can play a factor in that so maybe check that out too, although it would vary from player to player and not be a slider fix.

I can do it with weaker players on stronger players as well. I scored like 30 points in a quarter with Frank Nitty just doing straight line drives.

Also, cmon man... we are talking about Whiteside slashing from the perimieter.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:34 am

I guess DaCrispy is talking about (yours respective) skills (with gamepad) ?

BTW you repeat 300 times the same thing on 2K18 here and on other topics.
So i guess you give your opinion here on 2K18 for 301 times, but not really on 2K16...

In the same time you cant accept critism on other games if you know what i mean :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Next

Return to NBA 2K18