NBA Live 19 @ EA Play 2018

Talk about NBA Live 19 here.

Re: NBA Live 19 @ EA Play 2018

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Making features like The Neighborhood a priority likely hasn't helped matters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:36 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:
Also, I believe hair movement was in the 2K15 but they removed it in 2K16 and the future games. Just another example of 2K removing features, and to be added later.

Then represent them as something new.

Good bodytypes in 2K15. Then fucking them up in 2K17. Then representing it as "improved bodytypes".

Such wow, 2K.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jayzmagz on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Andrew wrote:It is strange that both companies have different track records with different players, especially when most of them do actually sit for face scans these days.

2K does have some hair movement:

phpBB [video]

Did not remember that. Thanks for that. As said in others post. 2K's consistency with their player's model/hair are a step backward. Hoping for a better player model this year.
I stopped buying NBA 2K in 2K17, until there is a major change in this years game. I will opt to not buy it. I barely touch MyCareer in this games because of the grind you have to do just to make your player rate high. And with the issue of too much VC in 2K18 it made me not interested with the game even more.

Back to EA. This is why I really want Live to succeed and be a threat to 2K to have a very healthy competition and gamers will be happy for the games both company release.
jayzmagz

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm

We need at least two viable options, no question.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jayzmagz on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:15 am

Agree, I'm a fan of NBA Live since Live 95 in the 16 bit era. Sucks that their downfall started when they release NBA Live in the PS3 and X360.
They did a pretty good job with Live 10, I thought that was the start of their rise. Then Elite 11 happened. The rest was history.

BTW I really wish All-Star weekend returns to NBA Live. I miss playing 3 point shootout and Slam Dunk Contest in EA style. 2K imho did not deliver the goods with their All-Star weekend. I hate the Rockband type of controls and also the scoring sucks. 3 Point Contest also sucks.

Up to this day I still play Live 05/06 3 Point and Slam Dunk contest in the original Xbox. Still having fun doing crazy dunks with it. Hope that mode returns with proper response rate on the controls like the PS2/XBOX/GC. That mode died when they ported it into the PS3/X360. It was glitchy as F!
jayzmagz

Postby Wolfy03 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 am

NBA Live 18 players compared to NBA Live 19 players:

phpBB [video]
Wolfy03

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 am

Is it weird that I think having super detailed players isn't the biggest necessity when usually during play the game isn't zoomed in enough for you to tell
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 am

Player faces certainly show improvement.

I like what EA is doing with Live this year.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 am

[Q] wrote:Is it weird that I think having super detailed players isn't the biggest necessity when usually during play the game isn't zoomed in enough for you to tell

I get where you're coming from. It's important to have at this point and a key part of authenticity, but it's still something I can overlook more than gameplay flaws or disappointing modes. For me, a missing feature or troublesome gameplay issue outranks a face that isn't quite right.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 am

zzcoolj21 wrote:I give the edge to Live 18 Lebron. The first video game to get his facial hair right.

V01D wrote:Yeah they finally upgraded to PS3 graphics

ha
[ Image ]

its like people don't pay attention lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby jayzmagz on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:09 am

I for one am craving for player details since to me graphics are as important to gameplay. Seeing how powerful today's console and PC it is unacceptable for game developers to not focus on both aspects of the game. It's not like back in the 90s where we are ok playing with players with same shoes, no accessories, no tats, etc. It does not feel authentic, like Andrew mentioned.

Also most basketball or sports enthusiast who are gamers treat their sports games like RPG where every accessories, hair, etc. are important. I for one am guilty with that :D I sometimes pause the game just to go to the replay menu and zoom in to see all player/court details. (even the sole of the shoe) And thank you for the screenshot button in the PS4, I could take screenshots of those great details. :P
jayzmagz

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 am

jayzmagz wrote:I for one am craving for player details since to me graphics are as important to gameplay. Seeing how powerful today's console and PC it is unacceptable for game developers to not focus on both aspects of the game. It's not like back in the 90s where we are ok playing with players with same shoes, no accessories, no tats, etc. It does not feel authentic, like Andrew mentioned.

Also most basketball or sports enthusiast who are gamers treat their sports games like RPG where every accessories, hair, etc. are important. I for one am guilty with that :D I sometimes pause the game just to go to the replay menu and zoom in to see all player/court details. (even the sole of the shoe) And thank you for the screenshot button in the PS4, I could take screenshots of those great details. :P

100% disagree with the first statement. Graphics are not even close to as important as gameplay. Yes, we have graphical expectations, but if the game plays like garbage we won't even play it. I have seen numerous titles that fit the bill graphically, and I don't even want to touch them because of the bad gameplay. However, I have a slew of games that I like that are not outstanding graphically, but the gameplay is awesome. For example, Tennis Elbow 2013. Is the game fitting for this gen or even last gen graphically? Hell no, but is the gameplay a blast? absolutely.

I could give so many examples of that. For one, Live's graphics would have been accepted A LOT more for Live 14, Live 15 etc if the gameplay was up to snuff. It wasn't, therefore most people put the game down fast. One thing I will say: You did say for YOU the graphics are as important, but maybe you should think more about that one. For example, if you picked up 2K19 and the graphics blew away NBA 2K18, but you liked the gameplay quite a bit more on 2K18 and could get updated rosters, would you really move onto 2K19 just to look at it?

Another example of this, is modern day MMORPG's or RPG's in general. The graphics (Beautiful worlds) are the main focus, while the gameplay falls short on so many titles. The gameplay in most of the modern day MMORPG's and some of the rpg's feels mostly the same. No authenticity to it, not a ton of thought into the titles. A significant focus on graphics can actually hurt a game, if they can't provide that equal focus on gameplay.

However, I agree that expectations are a lot higher now. And for those who are not into modding, or not on PC in general, or who can't even seem to get that content through modding, I am sure it can be a little frustrating. Sometimes the games limitations are frustrating, because it makes you question "Did they really think about me, the consumer?" and "Why would they limit my customization power". I get frustrated with the art at times, 2K18 was a total mess to me, between the lighting/arena quality, the body types, the large heads in the league, etc. But, if the gameplay had been outstanding, I would have played it more.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am

I'm anticipating Live 19 to be the welcoming improvement from 18, which was already a step in the right direction. A big thing that I would like to see changed is how the higher difficulties are handled. All-Star (and ESPECIALLY Superstar) is when the AI begins to outright cheat instead of using actual skill in 18. They can intercept the ball while facing the other direction, layups brick frequently, and as nice as they look, the two man block animations either have to be toned down severely, or outright removed completely. Because of the frequent instances of said animations being triggered, it basically makes it impossible to slash to the basket without being stuffed 90% of the time. If these get addressed, and with the gameplay improvements that we've seen, I'll gladly give Live 19 a chance.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Top notch graphics make the best first impression and are important because a lot of gamers do make snap judgements about titles from the way they look. However, once you get your hands on the sticks, the allure of great visuals will fade very quickly if the gameplay isn't fun and the modes don't keep you hooked.

Speaking of which, it's a similar situation with the debate between gameplay and game modes. Gameplay is paramount because you need to like and enjoy playing the game, but there needs to be something to the modes to keep you hooked and invested in the experience.

Focusing on one area at the expense of others won't result in the deep, well-rounded, enjoyable game that we want to see, and NBA Live needs to be. That's why I'm glad to hear that on top of further improvements to the gameplay, all the modes will be receiving some attention in NBA Live 19. It may not be quite enough for everyone's liking, particularly if you favour one or two modes in particular, but hopefully it'll be further steps in the right direction.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jayzmagz on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:54 pm

I agree with Andrew. Usually the graphics gives gamers a first impression on what to expect with the game.
Look at the KOF 14 game for example, it has good gameplay but the dated graphics made people not like it that much.
That's why I really prefer a game to be equal in both categories but still depends on the gamer who will play the game.
jayzmagz

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am

jayzmagz wrote:I agree with Andrew. Usually the graphics gives gamers a first impression on what to expect with the game.
Look at the KOF 14 game for example, it has good gameplay but the dated graphics made people not like it that much.
That's why I really prefer a game to be equal in both categories but still depends on the gamer who will play the game.

Certainly agree with the first impression aspect, I kind of forgot about that when making my earlier statement. I think for longevity, the gameplay is most important, but for first impression, the graphics are certainly right up there in importance.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 am

Games definitely have to be more than eye candy, which is why gameplay is important. The experience can't be too narrow or repetitive either, which is why modes are important.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rosque on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 am

I rather have nba 2k6 gfx and best gameplay ever that mimics life 1:1 than this botched gameplay at the other company and pretty gfx.
Rosque

Postby jayzmagz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

It still depends on the gamer who will play the game, but as I have said a balance of both is ideal.

Also, as Andrew mentioned game modes are also important. As mentioned in my earlier post up to this day I still play NBA Live 05/06 because of the All-Star game mode. I really wish this mode returns to the game with added features. Like proper USA vs The World, be able to edit your own All-Star Roster, an advanced Slam Dunk contest and etc.
jayzmagz

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Being able to edit All-Star and additional teams would be big. That's been very handy in NBA 2K for many years now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jayzmagz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 pm

I really don't know why both EA and 2K does not have that. I think the last game I could remember where you could edit All-Star roster is ESPN NBA 2night for XBOX and PS2.
jayzmagz

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I suppose it hasn't been too common an option in roster editing over the years. I'd love to see that change, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live 19