Tennis Video Games (AO Tennis, Tennis World Tour, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Tennis Video Games (AO Tennis, Tennis World Tour, etc)

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Here is AO International Tennis in it's current build.

We are playing on the hardest level (Legend).

---

This game is NOT shitty, it also doesn't look shitty

---

C. Listening IGN or other review sources that have been proven untrustworthy

Thanks for the video but I repeat what I said.

You're playing on turf. IMO Your brother plays so many half volleys (just after the rebound - i'm not sure about the word in english) :cheeky:
In the same game, both of you play a ball between the legs :cheeky:
Seriously.

I also check other videos. Ball rebound looks the same on Roland Garros :shock:

BTW, i check my favorite independant review that i trust : 4/10 :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 am

Sticky, have you played the game?

You are going to rate the game 4/10 without even playing it?

And stop with the raised eyebrows faces, it's childish. You are not being "sly", or "cute", you are being sarcastic and petty. This is super annoying.

Because a few between the legs shots exists, half volleys happen, and you think the surfaces play the same, you give it a 4/10 even without playing it, and continue to call it shit? Real good review. FYI - sliding happens on Clay, and the ball speed is adjustable in the settings if somebody wants to customize. But, you wouldn't know that unless you tried the game.

Anybody else who has the game or atleast tried it, or doesn't have alterior motives want to comment on the game? Maybe somebody who can also comment on what they like, and don't like?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 am

Andrew wrote:That was definitely a problem: knowing where you were, positioning yourself accordingly, and timing the hits. Probably a bit too ambitious, but commendable all the same.

With AO and other more modern tennis games, is there any automatic positioning or correction? Either way, it looks a lot easier to handle from that camera angle than a first person perspective.

Auto positioning meaning: like move you to the ball? Not exactly. But if you are running in the balls direction and hit one if the many hit buttons, your player will continue to run towards the ball while the hit meter shows up. In AO, this works great, however they need to tweak it slightly. The player sometimes does a faster than realistic transfer to the spot.

When is the last time you played a tennis game, Andrew? Ever been a fan?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:44 am

Yeah, I meant moving you to the ball, like Defensive Assist in Live/2K, or some of the similar mechanics in driving games that help you stay on track (usually on easier difficulty levels and training modes). Fair enough they don't go to that length though, it'd probably make things too cheap and easy.

Aside from dusting off Intellieivion Tennis with my Dad a few years back, I probably haven't played a tennis game since that one in the mid 90s. I like the sport OK, I don't really follow it or anything, but I am generally familiar with it and some of the big names. I've played it casually a few times over the years and for sport at school for a term way back in Year 6. As I said I played a couple of different video games back then as well, though I was never really any good at them (not much better than I was at the real sport, really), so I haven't sought them out since.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 am

Andrew wrote:Yeah, I meant moving you to the ball, like Defensive Assist in Live/2K, or some of the similar mechanics in driving games that help you stay on track (usually on easier difficulty levels and training modes). Fair enough they don't go to that length though, it'd probably make things too cheap and easy.

Aside from dusting off Intellieivion Tennis with my Dad a few years back, I probably haven't played a tennis game since that one in the mid 90s. I like the sport OK, I don't really follow it or anything, but I am generally familiar with it and some of the big names. I've played it casually a few times over the years and for sport at school for a term way back in Year 6. As I said I played a couple of different video games back then as well, though I was never really any good at them (not much better than I was at the real sport, really), so I haven't sought them out since.

Never too late to try the newer ones! Tennis World Tour has a demo you can download on PS4 if you wanted to give it a try, albeit it doesn't feel as good as AO right now.

I was kind of like that with racing games, I played quite a few of them growing up (not just cars, but games like Uniracers, kart games, etc). That fell off in the 90s, havn't played them since. We certainly have to prioritize differently as we get older, which I think that's the biggest culprit. I also think out tastes are more defined as we get older.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 am

Dee4Three wrote:You are going to rate the game 4/10 without even playing it?

sorry, my favorite (french) independant revue reviewed it and gave 4/10

Dee4Three wrote:
And stop with the raised eyebrows faces, it's childish. You are not being "sly", or "cute", you are being sarcastic and petty. This is super annoying.?

Thats the point :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:You are going to rate the game 4/10 without even playing it?

sorry, my favorite (french) independant revue reviewed it and gave 4/10

Dee4Three wrote:
And stop with the raised eyebrows faces, it's childish. You are not being "sly", or "cute", you are being sarcastic and petty. This is super annoying.?

Thats the point :cheeky:

That's flaming, and pointless. The only reason to do that is to cause problems, so cut it out.

And what time is that review from? What month? And, you are going to let the reviewers tell you what to like and what not to like? What about making up your own mind?

Unless of course, you are continuing to flame and that favorite independent french review is that of your own. Would not be surprised considering the direction you have taken since joining this thread.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:17 am

Not everyone can agree with you and share your feelings, on this forum or elsewhere.

When I make arguments about unrealistic gameplays, you answer by personnal attacks (stop this thing, make your own opinion...).
Tennis on turf is very particular. When I watch a video of AOT, it doesnt look realistic to me. Same thing on clay where the ball should be slower and reboung higher.
So I dont need to play the game, i've got eyes, i also played tennis much more than bball btw :cheeky: (sarcastic smiley)

Review was out this this month in CanardPC revue : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_PC Is it enough independant for you ? :cheeky: (sarcastic smiley)
In fact, I watched your videos first, I wasn't thrilled. i also watched other videos, same feeling. Then i read the review of CanardPC yesterday evening.
So no one making my own mind, much less you :roll:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Not everyone can agree with you and share your feelings, on this forum or elsewhere.

When I make arguments about unrealistic gameplays, you answer by personnal attacks (stop this thing, make your own opinion...).
Tennis on turf is very particular. When I watch a video of AOT, it doesnt look realistic to me. Same thing on clay where the ball should be slower and reboung higher.
So I dont need to play the game, i've got eyes, i also played tennis much more than bball btw :cheeky: (sarcastic smiley)

Review was out this this month in CanardPC revue : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_PC Is it enough independant for you ? :cheeky: (sarcastic smiley)
In fact, I watched your videos first, I wasn't thrilled. i also watched other videos, same feeling. Then i read the review of CanardPC yesterday evening.
So no one making my own mind, much less you :roll:

You have no hands on experience with AO. Therefore, you can't rate it a 4/10 overall.

Not expecting everybody to agree with me, but I expect a constructive conversation. Which, with the sarcasm present, and a rating given by someone who hasn't played it at all, ruins that conversation. The game has flaws, but to call it shit, and state that it fails at simulation, is not accurate.

I agree that the balls bounce could use some tweaking on certain surfaces. Maybe they will patch that in, I've already sent a long email to the company. Do you plan on doing the same? Are you going to send an email to the company with your ideas? Or, do you not care to? If not, why are you on this thread commenting?

If you are here to be sarcastic, flame, call the game shit without trying it, and if you don't plan on trying it or having a constructive conversation, get out.

I don't need this in every thread that I start, what you are doing is petty and childish. Grow up.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 am

I dont rate it 4/10, CanardPC did it !!!
BTW, Steam reviews are mixed so 4/10 or 5/10 what a huge difference ! :cheeky:

So for you, AOT is realistic when ball's rebound and speed are the same on turf and on clay ?! :crazyeyes:

Once again, you answered by personnal attack.

A constructive conversation needs answers to my gameplay observations.
Same thing on 2K18, we cant debate with you when we dont share your opinion.
I dont need a crazy guy on a gaming forum ask me to grow up ; as you say to someone else here : FUCK OFF :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:39 am

sticky-fingers wrote:I dont rate it 4/10, CanardPC did it !!!

So for you, AOT is realistic when ball's rebound and speed are the same on turf and on clay ?! :crazyeyes:

Once again, you answered by personnal attack.

A constructive conversation needs answers to my gameplay observations.
Same thing on 2K18, we cant debate with you when we dont share your opinion.
I dont need a crazy guy on a gaming forum ask me to grow up ; as you say someone else here : FUCK OFF :cheeky:

I said it has some tweaks it needs to make, but it's a tennis simulation, and not a shit one. It has a lot of other good qualities. The pace feels different on different surfaces, but not as it should, and the ball should bounce a bit more realistically.

Also, FYI - you started it in here with your sarcasm, and claiming a game was shitty when you havn't even played it. Don't start shit with me (like on the other thread where shit was started with me), and after act like it was my fault.

Get out of this thread and stop spoiling it, the fuck off mantra is coming from both of us now. I started this thread, I will continue to be in here. So, I ask you, please exit this thread so I can talk with people who actually want to talk about the pros and cons of this game and other tennis games, people who may want to give feedback to the developers, and people who have a general interest in keeping things realistic and civil

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:43 am

Dee4Three wrote:Nice try. You originally said that you give it 4/10, after said that a review site gave it 4/10.

No i give it "shitty"
You're totally paranoid :shock: if you think i lie, take a subscription, read their review... i'm pretty sure you are capable of it :lol:

If you want more explanation i can quote myself and correct :
sticky-fingers wrote:BTW, i check my favorite independant review revue that i trust : 4/10 :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 am

sticky-fingers wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Nice try. You originally said that you give it 4/10, after said that a review site gave it 4/10.

No i give it "shitty"
You're totally paranoid :shock: if you think i lie, take a subscription, read their review... i'm pretty sure you are capable of it :lol:

And again, no answer about gameplay

Are you insane? First off, i removed that sentence because I realized you caller it shitty and not 4/10, but... what's the difference? Christ, shitty could be a 1/10.

I DID say that those gameplay areas need tweaking! The gameplay is not perfect, but it's good. The use of strategy is key in this game, a user must use all shots at his disposal. The game moves well side to side, it can create epic points (or just played online and had a bunch of amazing points with a user), the serving is realistic and can impact the match, the players attributes actually matter.

The game could work on: Players sometimes being transferred to the ball, sometimes having unnatural lunges/slams, ball bouncing more realistic with the type of court.

It has amazing qualities, and still some work to do. Someone who has played it now for well over 30 hours , I give it a 7/10 at the moment. With some tweaks, that could be an 8 or 9.

I literally agreed with you about the ball bouncing on different surfaces needing to be tweaked, I am not blind to the faults in games, I freely admit that this game has tweaks that need to happen.

Now if you want to keep it civil, please continue with the discussion. If not possible, please leave. Don't bring in sarcasm, and an attitude based off of a conversation I had in the 2K18 section, and lash out at me.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:52 am

i've edited :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

If you're just going to troll and push buttons, or simply not debate and discuss in good faith, kindly stop. It just ruins topics for everyone else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Michael Chang vs Boris Becker highlights - Me vs my brother. I am Chang here.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 am

A few cool things that I discovered, huge selling point for people that care about content and online play.

1. I play on PC, and of course the community is MUCH smaller. However, I played about 7 Quick Matches online yesterday, and every opponent I played was skilled, good at the game, and played the entire match. They also used different players every time. I won 4, and lost 3 I believe. This is refreshing, because it means that the people who are playing this game and going online, are putting in the time. This means that online matches are competitive and not a waste of time.

2. My brother got it for PS4 yesterday so we could play our careers at the same time, and the online community is a lot bigger. The guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 1000 match wins. So, while it's not highly touted in reviews, the game is getting played quite a bit online it seems. Easy to find a match on PS4.

3. Cross Platform sharing is insane - As I said, my brother got it on PS4, he can download any faces/venues/logos cross platform. Meaning, I can make a cyberface on PC (Legit cyberface, like the 2K games for modding), and after I share it online, anybody can download it. Example, I made touch-ups to a scanned Sampras on PC, and shared it online, he was immediately able to download it on the PS4. This would be insane for NBA games, that means we could bring a lot of the mods to consoles. Sadly, I don't think this will be happening anytime soon. The game also has amazing face scan technology that allows you to put your face in the game, and it looks great. The graphics are really good in this game.

4. Your entire player roster, and venues, can be used online - Let's say I wanted to use Roger Federer (community created) online in a quick match, I can. Let's say I wanted to play at the US Open (community created), I can. This is super underrated, as some games make you play with stock players and venues when going online. I played against a girl online yesterday, when I saw she selected a girl tennis player, I was able to choose Sloane Stephens (not in the original game), and we had a great match.

This is the Sampras I shared, I edited the texture in Paint.net because it was really rough. It's on the Operation Sports thread. I shared this on PC, and my brother downloaded it on PS4.

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/tennis/931009-ao-international-tennis-35.html#post2049393103

A few negatives:

1. The "Invite Friend" option online doesn't work for the time being on PC, and it doesn't even exist on PS4. Yes, you can create a match and someone can find it and play you, or a random person can find it and play you, but you can't directly invite a friend.

2. You can't create a online friends list in game: For example, if I play a guy and we have a great match, I can't add him to a list of people I want to play again. For all I know, I may never get to play against him/her again.

3. Some slight lag online that occurs from time to time: Online isn't the cleanest of experiences. Sometimes it's good through the whole match, sometimes it stutters slightly. It needs to be fine tuned.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 am

Cross-platform content is huge, and hopefully the Next Big Thing in sports gaming. Think of the resources that we could share across platform in the NBA games. It's cool to see them doing that here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 am

Andrew wrote:Cross-platform content is huge, and hopefully the Next Big Thing in sports gaming. Think of the resources that we could share across platform in the NBA games. It's cool to see them doing that here.

Insane. I still can't believe I can create a cyberface on PC, and people on consoles can download it. I can create a completely accurate US Open venue (Arthur Ashe Stadium), and anybody can download it on any platform, they can use it in offline mode or online as well.

I really hope more games start to implement this. Imagine how many people would have been clamoring for the UBR/URB projects if they were able to be downloaded on console? It would have been huge.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am

John McEnroe vs Ivan Lendl

I'm using McEnroe against my brother. Legend difficulty, ball speed turned up to 83 (Default is 50)

phpBB [video]

Andy Roddick vs Patrick Rafter

I am using Rafter, brother is Roddick. Roddick's serve kicked my ass in this one. I experimented here as well and turned the ball speed up to 99. We had a lot of good points.

phpBB [video]

I also want to point out: part of the reason this game is great to me is the competition. The strategy needed, the long points that can happen, the different shots you can use.

The game visually is more than acceptable, and while the gameplay needs some tweaks, it is still a load of fun as it is. They just put a patch through again today, and it seemed to have helped the feet a little with change of direction. Literally every patch they have put through has put some positive changes into the game.

I absolutley recommend this game to anyone who enjoys tennis, and who likes competition.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:57 am

I recorded my first online match on Sunday. It ended up being a really good one. It also left me with a solid first impression of the mode, considering I was unsure what to expect. I played 7 matches on Sunday, not one player quit the match, all matches were played in full.

This is on PC, so I was actually surprised I was able to find consistent matches, as the user base is quite a bit smaller.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby deihatein on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Andrew wrote:Cross-platform content is huge, and hopefully the Next Big Thing in sports gaming. Think of the resources that we could share across platform in the NBA games. It's cool to see them doing that here.

Seems Sony only wants cross platform to work from PS4 to PC, given from the Fornite controversy.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 pm

That is the challenge. The technology is there, but there needs to be the willingness to work together on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:09 am

I think the game companies end up going out of there way to make games not cross platform. Wasn't it fortnite that "accidentally" had cross platform play at one point? If the game itself doesn't require specific platform programming and uses its own servers for online play, then games could always be cross platform, right? So the developers specifically program for certain platforms when running their servers, when they might not have to.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 am

There has been a big stink recently about Sony preventing cross play. It makes sense for them as the console leader to force people to get a PS4 if they want to play with their friends
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic