Tennis Video Games (AO Tennis, Tennis World Tour, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Tennis Video Games (AO Tennis, Tennis World Tour, etc)

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 am

Hi all,

Longshot here. Not sure how many people on here play or have played tennis video games, or how much interest actually exists.

I started playing tennis video games back in the early 90's with Super Tennis on the SNES, obviously we have come a long way since that point. I grew up watching Agassi, Sampras, and my favorite at the time Michael Chang. I'll never forget Chang taking Sampras the distance in an epic match, or Courier winning the US Open. Outside of basketball, tennis was the only other sport I played, and had a strong liking for.

Tennis video games have always been a niche market, it seems. The Top Spin series (2K), was the elite name in tennis video games in the 2000's. In fact, Top Spin 4 was an amazing game, I played it a ton. Virtua Tennis was very arcade, and didn't have any depth in comparison to Top Spin 4, no strategy really needed when playing. Tennis video gamers have been waiting for the next great tennis game to come out for years, as Top Spin 5 never came out. Two tennis games surfaced, one which is coming out today, and one which has already been out.

I don't want to discount Tennis Elbow for the PC, as I've played it a lot, and it's been modded so well by the Elbow community that it's a really fun game to play. However, it has some drawbacks. One being, the movement is quite stiff, and hitting low balls back pedaling gives the user an unforced error 100% of the time, which is unrealistic as professional tennis players pick those balls up all the time and hit them successfully. The net play is very weak and almost impossible, and the graphics are basically that of the mid to late 90's graphics. With that being said, it allowed for a multi-user career mode, and the mode was deep and fun. Tennis Elbow 4 won't be coming out until 2019.

Back to the two tennis games I am about to dive into. Tennis World Tour (Coming out today), and AO Tennis. These two game are interesting, because one features Nadal without Federer (AO Tennis) and the other features Federer without Nadal (TWT). The bonus for TWT is: It's coming out on PC, for Steam... I am pumped about this, as it will be heavily modded. Another bonus to TWT, is that some of the team that created this game also were part of the crew that created Top Spin 4, and you can see that in many of the animations, looks kind of top spin-ish. TWT has 30 professional players, and a DLC bonus pack for Agassi (1995) and McEnroe (1990), not the best versions of both players, but still. I may not even do the DLC because it's the PC version, and it will get modded.

A few drawbacks I can see from the gameplay videos is simple commentary (Very simple, like it might as well not be there) in TWT, and I didn't see any commentary in AO tennis. The graphics in AO tennis seem to be a tad better, but the players posture is hunched and the gameplay seems more arcade, while TWT looks smooth and more like real tennis.

TWT is going to be out on PS4, Switch, X1 and PC, while AO is out on PS4, X1 and Switch. I have not played either of these games, but wanted to see if anybody on here has.

I plan on going on Steam and buying TWT today.

NOTE: I just saw that AO International Tennis is PC compatible, but I did not see it on Steam. I'll be looking into this a little further. I still prefer the gameplay of TWT going by the videos.

Here is AO international Tennis

phpBB [video]

Here is Tennis World Tour

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Tennis Video Games (AO Tennis, Tennis World Tour, etc)

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 am

Top Spin was a lot of fun back in the day. I played a bit of Super Tennis and Wii Sports too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 am

[Q] wrote:Top Spin was a lot of fun back in the day. I played a bit of Super Tennis and Wii Sports too

I wish Tennis games received the attention I believe they deserve (Like when Top Spin was around). Certainly was awesome for awhile.

Confirmed that AO Tennis is available on Steam, but it's getting crushed by people who play it and by reviewers. IGN killed it. I've heard its made some subtle improvements since release, though.

The face that TWT has some of the Top Spin team involved in the creation, makes it my choice. However, maybe if AO goes on sale I grab that as well.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't played a lot of tennis games, but I remember playing this one with my Dad on the Intellivision:

phpBB [video]

Obviously primitive, but it was also pretty fun. There was also one I played on PC way back in the DOS era, I believe developed by Ocean (though I could be wrong about that). It wasn't too bad. I haven't really looked into any since then, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 am

Andrew wrote:I haven't played a lot of tennis games, but I remember playing this one with my Dad on the Intellivision:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o9ZIRhAjLA[video]

Obviously primitive, but it was also pretty fun. There was also one I played on PC way back in the DOS era, I believe developed by Ocean (though I could be wrong about that). It wasn't too bad. I haven't really looked into any since then, though.

The simplicity is what make some of those past games great. It wasn't nitpicking about gameplay aspects, the games weren't over animated (obviously) it was about good clean fun, and competition.

By the way, AO international tennis is actually very good. Glad I didn't go by the reviews, just bought it and played about 5 matches.

IGN ripped it apart, and over half of what they said was not true. The game just has a harder learning curve than simple games like Virtua Tennis, you can tell the developers got some gameplay ideas from Tennis Elbow.

Honestly, the only real problems with this game is sometimes having some stiff animations, no commentary, and a slightly dead atmosphere. But, the pace of the ball, and the match in general, and even a lot of the authenticity with the players hits is actually really good.

I wonder if anybody will take the time to MOD it, I'm going to look at the game files to see if I can figure anything out.

I'll probably buy Tennis World Tour tomorrow for comparison.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I think to some extent it's probably been a tough sport to capture in video game form, but as you said, there's a big learning curve depending on the mechanics. The anticipation, the movement and positioning, and the timing required to return a volley or serve takes some practice, in reality or in the virtual world. Unlike team sports games, it's obviously one on one, and that requires the user to do a lot more work in that regard. I could see reviewers, particularly those not that familiar with tennis and/or tennis video games, scoring a game harshly out of frustration with their own inadequacy and nitpicking superficial details.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 am

Something amazing that AO international Tennis has, that every single sports game (And other games actually) should implement:

They have the most advanced create a player tool I have ever seen in a game, but that's not the amazing part. You can literally use a regular picture, and use that as your face. Let me explain.

The game comes with a folder that you can save a picture into (Face picture), you go to the create a player in the game and choose that picture, and put only the parts of that picture that you want onto the created players face. After completing your creation, you can just hit upload, and it will upload it to the community for anybody to download (Think TGsoGood's p;ayer DNA). Anybody can download the creations, takes two seconds.

I'll post screenshots later, but this has allowed the community to upload what look like game made players that were missing from the game, Like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Gail Monfils, Andre Agassi (Bald), Andre Agassi (1990), Martina Hingis, Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Michael Chang, Pete Sampras, etc. Not only do they looks great, but the creators made them play like the real life counterpart, it's insane how accurate it is.

This game also allows custom venues and logos to be uploaded and downloaded. The game only has the AO license, but creators have already gone in and created Roland Garros, etc. The arenas are flawless, and adds amazing authenticity. These can be used in offline gameplay (Just like the faces). And, once you download these player creations, they become part of the player roster, which can be used to play with or against in career mode.

This game is criminally underrated!

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 am

Sounds like a more advanced version of the old Face in the Game feature that used to be in NBA Live. Very cool.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:36 am

1 minute in of that first video and I don't like AO International. Nadal is just standing in no mans land, while the top player is presumably AI controlled, showing off bad AI as it forgets to move it's feet while staring at returns like . I like the aiming mechanic, though. The modding aspect sounds great, but it also sounds like it might get the game in trouble.

15 seconds into the match of the TWT video and I see Top Spin already. SlowThe commentary doesn't really add to the atmosphere and sounds like some random guy in the stands saying stuff with a microphone near him. Controls look heavily animation based and it looks like the game moves your player itself.

The big problem imho is all these big Tennis games coming out seem to be similar, while making small strides in gameplay or graphics. They don't provide the atmosphere that is needed and the gameplay to support it in the modern "nextgen" era for a simulation game. This seems to cause them to get old real quick. They might be better off having an arcade mode or building the game to be fun rather than simulating reality.

Just checked steam, and TWT is already %20 off two days after release. That is not a good sign. Mostly negative reviews.

Anyways, if either goes under 10 bucks I might consider it.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:17 am

Pdub wrote:1 minute in of that first video and I don't like AO International. Nadal is just standing in no mans land, while the top player is presumably AI controlled, showing off bad AI as it forgets to move it's feet while staring at returns like . I like the aiming mechanic, though. The modding aspect sounds great, but it also sounds like it might get the game in trouble.

15 seconds into the match of the TWT video and I see Top Spin already. SlowThe commentary doesn't really add to the atmosphere and sounds like some random guy in the stands saying stuff with a microphone near him. Controls look heavily animation based and it looks like the game moves your player itself.

The big problem imho is all these big Tennis games coming out seem to be similar, while making small strides in gameplay or graphics. They don't provide the atmosphere that is needed and the gameplay to support it in the modern "nextgen" era for a simulation game. This seems to cause them to get old real quick. They might be better off having an arcade mode or building the game to be fun rather than simulating reality.

Just checked steam, and TWT is already %20 off two days after release. That is not a good sign. Mostly negative reviews.

Anyways, if either goes under 10 bucks I might consider it.

Trust me, AO is MUCH better hands on. I'll be uploading videos, keep an eye out.

I am super picky when it comes to tennis video games, I despised Virtua Tennis. You may be able to see Top Spin 4 in TWT, but trust me when I tell you that it's not as great as it looks. The reason it's already discounted is because it was released without online playability, without doubles (Literally no doubles mode available), and the player you are controlling randomly hitting slices even when you don't push that button. Also, the game only comes with 10 player creations, and you can't change them. Not kidding, you literally only have 10 pre-created players to take into career mode and online (when available), imagine how that will work? No create a player function available at the moment.

When it comes to the on-court tennis, AO actually has more realistic ball speed and match pace, while TWT is slower than real life and sluggish on the controls. TWT suffers from over animation, where you don't feel like you have as much control. TWT and AO play entirely different, nothing similar about them other than being tennis video games. Keep this in mind as well, AO international Tennis has gone through numerous gameplay updates since that video, trust me when I tell you that the game plays and looks far better now. Again, keep an eye out for my videos. AO has also patched the audio, and the crowd reactions are much more realistic. The game is missing commentary, but that's it. I'd rather it miss having commentary, than John McEnroe saying the same 10 things (one liners that make no sense) through the entire match.

I paid $49.99 for AO, and I am getting every cent worth, I would have paid $60 for it.

Also, here is Tennis World Tours creators addressing the public after the really, really disappointing release. They did this public release June 12th (two days ago).

ONLINE UPDATE AND BEYOND

Tennis World Tour·Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Greetings everyone,
Today marks the digital release of Tennis World Tour on Steam, so there's another platform on which you can claim the court.
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the online mode is not yet ready for release. At this stage we do not have a confirmed date. We're doing our best to release it as soon as possible, but the chance this will be before next week are very slim.
As soon as we know more details we will share them with you.
We’d also like to take this opportunity to address another topic:
Following an interview of Bigben CEO Alain Falc there has been a lot of discussion both from players and the press regarding the state of development of Tennis World Tour at launch.
The main purpose of the interview was to clarify the status of the game, following the initial criticism of the game at launch and thereafter. There were some misunderstandings during the interview and what Alain was trying to say was that a few weeks before release, the game was still missing 20% of its content. Eventually this lead to our decision to postpone the implementation of the online modes.
Developing games is a very long and complex process that takes a lot of resources, time and work. Common sense suggests that had the game only been 20% complete, you would have ended up with 3 stadiums, 4 or 5 different players and so on. The team at Breakpoint has been working on the game for the past 2 years and the 20% milestone was achieved a long time ago.
As for today, we are completely focused on improving the game and we would like to share our plans for upcoming patches and updates.
The next Update will focus on the following:
•3 online modes
◦Quick match
◦Private match
◦Ranked matches

•Improved grass courts
•Improved atmosphere during matches (i.e. commentator, crowd reaction)
•Bug fixes, such as the bug preventing coaches and agents to be swapped properly.
•Additionally for Switch and Xbox this will include previous bugfixes and improvements to bring them on par with PS4 and PC
Updates in the weeks following will focus on these topics:
•Adding tournaments in ranked online mode
•AI balancing (increasing unforced errors)
•Improvements to atmosphere around the court (both visuals and audio)
•Adding official outfits to career and adding alternative outfits for pro players
•Bugfixes and improvements based on your feedback
•Further reducing occasions of gaps between racket and ball
Additional content in the next few months:
•Adding doubles mode to the game
•Adding a weekly community challenge mode
•Adding slide animations on clay courts
•Improvements to the career mode
•Additional improvements to atmosphere
•General improvements based on your feedback and bugfixes

We know this launch hasn't been the smoothest, but we are absolutely committed to improving the game going forward.
As always, we thank you for ALL your feedback, keep it coming!

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:30 am

I just took this video. I'm using Federer against Djokovic. Remember, these two are not in the default game, these are cyberfaces that were made using real photos of the players (Like we do in the modding community here). They play, and look like the real life counterparts, and the announcer says Federer and Djokovic.

You will see the improvement in sound/atmosphere, as well as the play on the court. This game isn't perfect, but it is certainly underrated and is suitable for this gen. That US Open venue, which is perfectly accurate, is also a community creation, as the game allows you to create your own venues, logos, and players using your own art.

I am playing on veteran here, and I have only had the game for a couple days, so I lose this one. But it gives you an idea of what the game has to offer.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:01 am

announcer says Federer and Djokovic

Their names in the audio files or the audio is modded in too?

Like when you create a player in 2K with a common name or name already in the game the commentator will automatically say the created player's name.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:37 am

shadowgrin wrote:
announcer says Federer and Djokovic

Their names in the audio files or the audio is modded in too?

Like when you create a player in 2K with a common name or name already in the game the commentator will automatically say the created player's name.

Not modded in, built in. I think Big Ant Studios knew exactly what they were doing, and they took some notes from Tennis Elbow. Why else would the game automatically say Djokovic, Federer, etc?

By the way, I have no Mods installed. That's all in game, downloadable content you are seeing. Pretty awesome.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:20 am

I stay on Final Match Tennis :mrgreen:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 am

sticky-fingers wrote:I stay on Final Match Tennis :mrgreen:

Ha! I had to look that up. It was released in 1991, same year as Super Tennis.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:51 am

You play it, you love it, you beat it.
Then you discover the cheat code that unlock 5 more difficulty levels :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:56 am

sticky-fingers wrote:You play it, you love it, you beat it.
Then you discover the cheat code that unlock 5 more difficulty levels :cheeky:

That's what's great about so many of the older games. The hidden codes, whether it be related to difficulty, extra lives, or new characters.

I thought it was so cool back in the day when I found the mascot cheat codes for NBA Jam. I was able to ball out with the Hornets mascot, so fun.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Sorry about the slip, even it was not a joke.
Both games (AO and TWT) are "next gen" graphicly but in terms of gameplay, it seems miles away from my expectations.

About AO Tennis take a look on 1st video of this topic, Nadal on turf play half volleys inside the court :?

Tennis is all about footwork, and these games are shitty.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Sorry about the slip, even it was not a joke.
Both games (AO and TWT) are "next gen" graphicly but in terms of gameplay, it seems miles away from my expectations.

About AO Tennis take a look on 1st video of this topic, Nadal on turf play half volleys inside the court :?

Tennis is all about footwork, and these games are shitty.

Let's get one thing straight, AO Tennis is not shitty. And you havn't played it. The first video is before like 10 patches. The movement is much improved.

And no, the graphics on TWT look like a port from mobile (Think Final Fantasy Type 0) they are not even close to the the graphics of AO. Not only the face graphics, but also the models and atmosphere. TWT is not visually on par with AO, but it can pass for this gen visually if the gameplay is sound. Which right now, it's not.

The tennis in AO is being enjoyed by a lot of people, I joined the Operation Sports forum and looked through the 30 some odd pages of feedback, over the last couple months a lot of people love it. And, my brother and I have now played over 20 hours of the game, and we know tennis. He loves it, I love it, and we have had epic matches. Basketball is my number one, but tennis is my number two, I've been following it since the early 90s. As stated prior, I'm very picky when it comes to Tennis video games.

No, it's not SHITTY. And for someone who hasn't played either game, and mentions the first video (first build) even after I said that it has gone through a ton of patching, that comment is uneducated and unfounded. Did you even pay attention to the rest of the dialogue? Or did you just make your comment after watching the first video?

What is up with people lately? "This player is trash" "this game is shit" "the graphics are shitty" "his supporting cast is trash" have we forgotten how to communicate?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:35 am

Why do you take everything so personnal ? My comment was not a personnal attack ?! :roll:

You're right I never play these games. But I've got eyes and you miss my comment about the gameplay on turf.
BTW the gameplay seems mostly the same on all surface...
IMO, AO tennis isnt a simulation and these videos don't make me want to buy the game.

So if I want to play tennis with fun, yeah, i go back to FMT ou ST. For simulation, I still dunno.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:41 am

sticky-fingers wrote:Why do you take everything so personnal ? My comment was not a personnal attack ?! :roll:

You're right I never play these games. But I've got eyes and you miss my comment about the gameplay on turf.
IMO, AO tennis isnt a simulation and these videos don't make me want to buy the game.

So if I want to play tennis with fun, yeah, i go back to FMT ou ST. For simulation, I still dunno.

Ill upload more gameplay of the CURRENT build so you can have a better idea.

And I'm not taking it personal, I just expect more on the forum as far as communication. I gave a laundry list of reasons why I didn't enjoy 2K18, I gave a bunch of reasons why certain players/supporting casts are not trash, etc. People need to review content in its entirety, and form an educated opinion as opposed to just dismissing shit as trash, or garbage, or shitty. This is how shit goes down hill for companies sometimes, like Live 18. Live 18 was a good basketball game, but it was automatically dismissed by many who just watched a gameplay video, or picked it up and played for 5 minutes, as trash, or shitty. I come to the NLSC to talk about topics on a FORUM, not to read comments from people like it's comments on Twitter or a YouTube video. Go through Youtube videos of NBA Live gameplay when it first came out, it's mostly one liners like "still looks like trash". Let's be better than that.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Here is AO International Tennis in it's current build.

This is a match between me (Roger Federer) and my brother using Novak Djokovic. We are playing on the hardest level (Legend). Hitting shots has a much smaller margin for error. He is on the top of the screen the whole match, I am on the bottom. Federer and Djokovic were downloaded from the community (Player DNA-esque). Both of these faces are scanned faces using the PlayFace technology in the game. The venue is also custom. AO international Tennis did what 2K should allow users to do, use custom venues/logos in offline mode. As many as you was, as well. I have about 80 players downloaded and over a dozen venues.

A couple things to clear up:

1. This game IS simulation, it is the exact opposite of a Virtua Tennis type game. In Virtua Tennis, it was basically impossible to hit it out, and serving was pointless, it also didn't have a career mode. This game takes a lot of strategy, and it's easy to hit it out if you are not focused. My goal in this match was to make Djokovic come to the net often, as he is not a great net player. I succeeded by hitting many shots short, and using drop shots when he was deep baseline. This game is the epitome of simulation tennis.

2. This game is NOT shitty, it also doesn't look shitty. The graphics are perfectly acceptable for this gen, the game is stunning. While sometimes herky jerky movements occur, it doesn't destroy the gameplay. The game overall plays smooth, and plays like REAL tennis.

3. I recorded and posted this match in 1080p@60Fps, if IE doesn't allow you to view it that way, use Firefox. I know my IE sometimes won't allow it. You will get a good idea of how smooth this game is.

phpBB [video]

Not only does it take strategy, but you can challenge points as well. It has deep customization that you can take right into career mode, it has a competition mode, it has online play, etc. Honestly, it gets me heated when I see people dismiss games that they either:

A. Have not tried
B. Are going by a much earlier build
C. Listening IGN or other review sources that have been proven untrustworthy

I recommend this game highly to those who love tennis, and want a simulation tennis game. And the deep customization is just the icing on the cake.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:23 pm

So, I've been racking my brain, and I have a feeling this was the DOS tennis game I played back in the day:

phpBB [video]

If not, it's very similar to the one I played. It's not Ocean Software, so I'm not sure why that came to mind, except perhaps that they did release a fair few PC games (ports in particular) back in the day. The first person view was pretty cool for the time, but it definitely was difficult, especially when it came to positioning and perspective.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Not bad for its time!

However, hard to execute. Camera jumping around is annoying. Interesting idea, though.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 pm

That was definitely a problem: knowing where you were, positioning yourself accordingly, and timing the hits. Probably a bit too ambitious, but commendable all the same.

With AO and other more modern tennis games, is there any automatic positioning or correction? Either way, it looks a lot easier to handle from that camera angle than a first person perspective.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Off-Topic