Beluba's Gameplay Polls on Twitter

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Beluba's Gameplay Polls on Twitter

Postby Andrew on Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm

As we mentioned in the latest episode of the NLSC Podcast, Beluba has been posting some Twitter polls soliciting feedback about various gameplay elements. So far, we've had...

Pro Stick Orientation: https://twitter.com/Beluba/status/987143842414514176
Pro Stick Usage Habis: https://twitter.com/Beluba/status/989876327514718208

The results of both polls surprise me a little. While I certainly favour the Absolute control setting, I thought Camera Relative - as the default, and traditional approach for 2K - would be more popular. I also thought more people would still be using the right stick to shoot, but it seems with the removal of the aiming system that was in NBA 2K17, the button is more popular. Personally, I only use the stick if I want to shoot a floater or have more control over the dunk or layup I attempt, otherwise I tend to stick to the shoot button and mostly just use the right stick for dribbling. Seems a lot of people are doing something similar.

Anyway, it looks like Beluba is looking to gauge the general preferences for controls and core mechanics, so if you're on Twitter, I'd suggest it's worth having your say. I'm definitely encouraged to see him actively soliciting feedback, too.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K18 by Andrew on Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 pm.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Beluba's Gameplay Polls on Twitter

Postby JaoSming on Tue May 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Lines up with a certain article not too long ago too
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 pm

Camera Relative 100% for me, but I see why people who use 2K cam may choose absolute.

Even In 2K cam, I still prefer Camera Relative.

In regards to shooting, I do use the right srick for fadeaways, shimmy fadeaways, full hooks, layups on the baseline, driving dunks so I can choose which hand I'm dunking with, etc. As far as just regular jump shooting, I still use the shoot button.

Hopefully he will ask questions about the major gameplay flaws... I think fielding that feedback could be vital.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm

To me, Camera Relative just doesn't seem to have any advantage or logic. I much prefer the controls to be constant, and relative to the player's body rather than the camera or position on the court. That way, the moves are always performed with the same stick movements, only depending on whether the ball is in your left or right hand, and what you want to do with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue May 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I've always preferred absolute especially playing on ball defense. Never liked using the stick for shooting. Only halfway through the season when I got Master Curry in LUT did I start using it for stepbacks.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 pm

NBA Live's implementation of right stick shooting has been a bit wonky compared to 2K's, but yeah, I only use it in situations where I want to perform a specific move. Either way, I prefer the stick movement to be the same no matter what the camera angle or where I am on the court, bound to the player's body (left stick feet, right stick hands, essentially).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Well hopefully he isn't polling in order to remove an option. I think it makes sense to keep both.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Oh, absolutely. I'm assuming it's to work out what makes sense as the default setting moving forward, and what changes (if any) to make to Pro Stick functionality knowing the general preference in terms of shooting controls.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm

2K dont use telemetry for that ?! :roll:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm

What I don't get, is how you do Absolute with broadcast cam. I assume most everybody is using it for 2K cam. For example, if you are at the top of the screen and you attempt to do a spin move (Spin the right stick), you would have to be turning it the opposite way of how your player is positioned on the screen, which would feel super unnatural in my opinion.

I think that the majority (If this was a separate poll) of people who use absolute are using 2K cam.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 am

Very easily, there's no problem with it at all. Under the Absolute setting, left is always left, right is always right, up is always forward, down is always back. If I want to spin to the player's left, I know to rotate left; likewise with spinning right, or crossing over to each hand. If I want to put up a floater, I hold down on the stick; bank shot, up on the stick. The controls never change no matter which camera angle you use or where you are on the court, as they correspond to the player's body: their left and right hand, and up and down always being forward and backwards respectively. Absolute works on any camera angle because it doesn't change. Admittedly it's what I'm used to because it's what NBA Live has used since NBA Live 2003, but I don't find it confusing or disorienting at all. I know which direction to move the stick in, because it's tied to a player's hands and never changes.

Conversely, I do find Camera Relative far more disorientating because I have to remember to adjust the stick movements according to the player's position relative to the camera. Using your example, if a player is at the top of the screen on broadcast camera and dribbling with their right hand, I'd have to move the stick to the right to send it to their left hand, because in that situation camera right is towards the player's left hand. Similarly, if I'm driving baseline from the top of the screen on broadcast and want to finish with my right hand, I have to move the stick left, because in that case camera left is in the direction of their right hand. To me, that is far more confusing and contrived than knowing that right is always going to be towards my right hand, left towards my left, no matter where I am on the court and which camera I'm using. Same with bank shots and other moves that change stick movement depending on your position. Same stick movement every time, no matter where I am, which angle I am to the basket, and the overall camera angle.

I suppose it comes down to what you're used to, but I find Absolute more straightforward because of its consistency. There's no confusion because I know a move involving the player's left hand will involve moving the stick to the left, and one involving their right hand will involve moving it to the right. A move that requires forward movement on the right stick is always up, while backwards movement is always down. Under Camera Relative, I'll sometimes have to make the opposite movement to the hand in order to pull off a move, because camera left/right doesn't match up with the player's hands.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 02, 2018 2:25 am

Andrew wrote:Very easily, there's no problem with it at all. Under the Absolute setting, left is always left, right is always right, up is always forward, down is always back. If I want to spin to the player's left, I know to rotate left; likewise with spinning right, or crossing over to each hand. If I want to put up a floater, I hold down on the stick; bank shot, up on the stick. The controls never change no matter which camera angle you use or where you are on the court, as they correspond to the player's body: their left and right hand, and up and down always being forward and backwards respectively. Absolute works on any camera angle because it doesn't change. Admittedly it's what I'm used to because it's what NBA Live has used since NBA Live 2003, but I don't find it confusing or disorienting at all. I know which direction to move the stick in, because it's tied to a player's hands and never changes.

Conversely, I do find Camera Relative far more disorientating because I have to remember to adjust the stick movements according to the player's position relative to the camera. Using your example, if a player is at the top of the screen on broadcast camera and dribbling with their right hand, I'd have to move the stick to the right to send it to their left hand, because in that situation camera right is towards the player's left hand. Similarly, if I'm driving baseline from the top of the screen on broadcast and want to finish with my right hand, I have to move the stick left, because in that case camera left is in the direction of their right hand. To me, that is far more confusing and contrived than knowing that right is always going to be towards my right hand, left towards my left, no matter where I am on the court and which camera I'm using. Same with bank shots and other moves that change stick movement depending on your position. Same stick movement every time, no matter where I am, which angle I am to the basket, and the overall camera angle.

I suppose it comes down to what you're used to, but I find Absolute more straightforward because of its consistency. There's no confusion because I know a move involving the player's left hand will involve moving the stick to the left, and one involving their right hand will involve moving it to the right. A move that requires forward movement on the right stick is always up, while backwards movement is always down. Under Camera Relative, I'll sometimes have to make the opposite movement to the hand in order to pull off a move, because camera left/right doesn't match up with the player's hands.

So yeah, just a difference in preference, but also a difference in experience. I think like you said, it's whatever we are used to. I am sure if I started out with Absolute, or had been doing it for a large chunk of time, I would prefer it.

Either way, glad the game has both options.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Definitely. I'm surprised at the poll results because Camera Relative is the default, so I would've assumed most 2K gamers are used to and prefer it. Of course, it's a small sample size compared to the number of people who play/have bought NBA 2K18, but interesting to see nevertheless.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun May 06, 2018 2:35 pm

New poll. This one's for Playground and Pro-Am players: https://twitter.com/Beluba/status/992425206139338753
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Ten hours left to vote in the latest poll about Shot Meter preference: https://twitter.com/Beluba/status/1005969194947473408
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 am

Re: shot meter. Remember when games didn't have that? To me, it takes away from the realistic presentation of the game. Is it really necessary?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 am

You can always turn it off if you prefer. I find it's handy to have a visual cue and shot feedback, though.

I think today's shooting mechanics are way better than games a few generations back, where open jumpshots still felt riskier than pounding it inside because of the dice roll and imprecise/seemingly random release window at the top of the jump.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rosque on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:09 am

I still prefer Real Life FG% to shot meter.
Rosque

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:14 am

[Q] wrote:Re: shot meter. Remember when games didn't have that? To me, it takes away from the realistic presentation of the game. Is it really necessary?

Same mindset. Not only does it take away from the presentation, but watching the shot meter instead of the action just takes away from the immersion (my opinion).

I've always played without it, and I still shoot good percentages. I like the challenge of timing my shot with the player without the meter, it makes you get used to the different shooting styles and how your specific player shoots.

HOWEVER, I see why some people prefer it. Atleast they have the option to turn it off.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 am

Yeah I like to be competitive especially online so any help for me in hitting shots are welcome. It's nice to see the mechanic there, but I'd like to see it off by default so you have to get used to timing it right just like the old days.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I think with a setting like that, it should be on by default so people are aware of it, with the ability to be toggled off if you don't want to use it. I think there's a greater tendency for people to go through the options looking to disable features, but not necessarily to find if certain options exist.

The alternative is to present the user with some first time boot options in regards to camera angles, Shot Meter on or off, and other default settings. I think that'd be handy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K19