2018 PLAYOFFS: (1) Houston vs. (2) Golden State

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Rockets in 4
No votes
Rockets in 5
No votes
Rockets in 6
5%
Rockets in 7
20%
Warriors in 4
15%
Warriors in 5
5%
Warriors in 6
30%
Warriors in 7
10%
Fuck it.. I'm watching the NHL playoffs instead
10%
Don Nelson arrested for streaking across the court during game 3
5%

Total votes : 20

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (1) Houston vs. (2) Golden State

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 27, 2018 3:40 pm

NovU wrote:Rockets are half the team without CP3.

Without him, they are kinda like the Cavs, Harden needs to be the best player in the game to stand any chance which is not easy when opponent knows what is coming. There is a good reason why the team became so good right after CP3 joined even tho he is an undersized grandpa point guard which doesnt bode well with the trend. You need 2+ superstars to contend, remember?

That doesn't mean that Harden should dribble down to the end of the shot clock without one pass, and take a contested shot. These are NBA athletes, they can set screens off the ball, get shooters open, drive and kick, run pick n rolls, etc. Nobody had a chance to get into a rhythm (Like when Clevelands offense looks poor, because LeBron is dribbling until the end of the shot clock). Gera;d Green could have been more involved, Capela should have gotten more looks, PJ Tucker could have had more looks. Ariza did a good job a few times getting to the rim (Euro example), but he wasn't allowed to do much more. He wasn't involved. These deep contested shot bricks also cause long rebounds for the opponent to run. That opponent happens to be the Warriors, the best team on the break in the league. It's a losing formula.

Think about how many times Capela came up for a pick n roll (If you watched the game), hardly at all. WHY? Get the defense moving, involved other capable players, let people get into a rhythm. The way he played, and the Rockets played in general after the first quarter was complete trash. That's not basketball. Because of that style, they lost in a blowout, letting players on GS get into a rhythm and have momentum for the next game. Also, Chris Paul just turned 33 this month, not a grandpa by any means. Nash had some of his best seasons in his early 30s.

They showed what they could do when they moved the ball in the first quarter, they could have won this game. They shot under 30% for the second half because of all the garbage ISO ball that was completely unnecessary.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Mon May 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
shadowgrin wrote:Warriors winning despite all odds, love a good underdog story.

That brand of basketball displayed by the Rockets in the second half is what's concerning. Harden dribbling the shot clock down to 5 seconds... without anybody else touching the ball... and either taking a contested shot from the perimeter or driving into 2 or 3 Warrior defenders. Playing the refs instead of playing basketball, it's crap.

It's not just "the Warriors got the win and they were supposed to". They will have momentum in game 7 because of the way that game ended, and if Paul plays and isn't 100%, they are going to be in trouble.

It's maddening watching Harden continue to do that shit. Hasn't he & Pringles realised that won't work against an elite team like Golden State?
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Harden's an immensely talented player, but that's one of the things that's holding him back from being a truly great one.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Dee4Three wrote:And this is why James Harden is so hard to watch.

Andrew wrote:Harden is overdribbling and forcing shot after shot.

Dee4Three wrote:That doesn't mean that Harden should dribble down to the end of the shot clock without one pass, and take a contested shot.

Jeffx wrote:It's maddening watching Harden continue to do that shit.

That's why I'm wondering how the Rockets got this far with that kind of offense. It's like a kid playing NBA 2K doing iso's every time, throwing up a brick as the shot clock expires.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Real problem isn't Harden.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/22 ... f-warriors

Seems you guys are forgetting the Rockets have done rather well against a historically stacked team.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:58 pm

NovU wrote:Real problem isn't Harden.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/22 ... f-warriors

Seems you guys are forgetting the Rockets have done rather well against a historically stacked team.

Harden was a BIG part of the problem last game, so was Eric Gordon. That was really bad basketball by both of them in the second half.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 am

You are missing the point, as usual.

Read.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 am

NovU wrote:You are missing the point, as usual.

Read.

You said "real problem isn't Harden", in the middle of a conversation where we were talking about how bad he played (and how bad his decision making was) in the second half of last game.

The article states the obvious, anybody who knows a lick about basketball knows that the Warriors have more all around talent, and that Harden may be better than one man, but that the others need to step up and be as good or better than the other Warriors.

The problem is: Harden wasn't better in the second half than any of the Warriors starting 5, he was absolutely dreadful. He took his teammates out of the game, put up several shots that got blocked or didn't hit the rim, drove without a purpose, played bad defense, etc.

So yes, Harden and Gordon were the real problems that lead to that big blowout in the second half. He's also 4 of his last 32 threes in the series. With Paul out, he can't be dribbling down to the end of the shot clock and going bombs away with long misses, GS thrives in that environment. He may have hit a couple in last games 3rd quarter, but he also bricked even more, including two that didn't even hit the rim.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 am

So you're suggesting they suddenly do things differently that made them so successful for the season thus far?

Your attitude seems to the real problem here, kiddo. Calm down abit and lax.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 12:34 am

NovU wrote:So you're suggesting they suddenly do things differently that made them so successful for the season thus far?

Your attitude seems to the real problem here, kiddo.

I'm suggesting that dribbling down to the end of the shot clock, with only one person dribbling the ball, and putting up a contested brick against the best transition team in the NBA is a losing formula.... yes. And anybody who knows basketball would say that.

In regards to doing it all season, I have watched a bunch of Rockets games. One. It's not usually THAT bad, the ball moves a bit more, more screens are set off the ball, and more pick n rolls are run (I only rememeber seeing one pick n roll in the entire 3rd quarter by the Rockets, and not one in the 4th). So that's not what they have been doing all year.

Also, not every game this season or playoffs was played against the Golden State fucking Warriors, the best transition team in basketball. It's literally the opposite of how you want to play.

Houston has other capable scorers, and Harden is a good passer when he wants to get others involved (he's proven that). Putting pressure on the defense earlier in the shot clock with drive and kicks, or moving the ball on the perimeter, would go along way. Capela has been heavily involved throughout the season and early playoffs, not last game in the second half... again not how they played all season.

No Chris Paul? Cool, more pick n rolls with Harden and Capela, more screens off the ball. Literally no pressure put on the Warriors defense when Harden is dancing for 24 seconds into a long distance or straight up contested brick. Anybody who watched the game knows that the second half was not Rockets basketball, Chris Paul or not.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 am

Easier said than done. Idiots that never played a game could also say things that would work and whatnot.

Not sure what your problem here is. Harden played a shit game, it's not like I don't acknowledge this, but rather was exploring issues behind. You seem to be spending energy stupidly to prove how much of a shit game Harden and cos played. Everyone gets that, stop the stupidity for your own sake.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 12:58 am

NovU wrote:Easier said than done. Idiots that never played a game could also say things that would work and whatnot.

Not sure what your problem here is. Harden played a shit game, it's not like I don't acknowledge this, but rather was exploring issues behind. You seem to be spending energy stupidly to prove how much of a shit game Harden and cos played. Everyone gets that, stop the stupidity for your own sake.

NovU, you asked me if I was suggesting that the Rockets should play different than they did all season, insinuating that what they did in the second half is what they did all season. And that's absolutely false, that's the reason you said that. So I told you what I saw them do during the season that made them successful.

In the middle of a conversation about how Harden played horrible last game, you said "the real problem isn't Harden", so I explained why he was the biggest problem for the Rockets last game.

Those two statements were by YOU, what is my problem? Uhh... nothing? We were talking about this series, talking basketball. It makes no sense to insult me here, all I did was correct a couple comments you made, or atleast clarify those two things. One. Harden WAS the real problem last game, and Two. That is not how the Rockets played all season.

"Idiots that never played the game could also say things that would work and whatnot"

What? What does that have to do with anything? You are saying that because I brought up basketball points. You are right, anybody who knows a lick about basketball (as stated prior) knows that Harden was the real problem, and they didn't play like that to get to this point. So why did you even make those comments in the middle of this discussion if you knew those two things anyway?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 1:15 am

What are you babbling about now? "You said, I said", this isn't about you or me but making a point and moving on. I'm not here to pick a fight with you, it's stupid.

Harden played a shit game and everyone heard you so many times in 1000s words of shit narrative, so quit repeat saying it like a stupid parrot and quit replying to every god damn post in same stupid tune. Let's move on, shall we?

That said, it's seriously unfortunate and I'm heartbroken for the Rockets that CP3 is injured. The Rockets without CP3 is much worse than last year's Rockets team that won 55 games. It's obviously a tough task for such a team to put up a good fight against improved 73 wins team. Struggle isn't surprising.

Game 7, go Rockets.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 1:20 am

NovU wrote:What are you babbling about now? "You said, I said", this isn't about you or me but making a point and moving on. I'm not here to pick a fight with you, it's stupid.

Harden played a shit game and everyone heard you so many times in 1000s words of shit narrative, so quit repeat saying it like a stupid parrot and quit replying to every god damn post in same stupid tune. Let's move on, shall we?

That said, it's seriously unfortunate and I'm heartbroken for the Rockets that CP3 is injured. The Rockets without CP3 is much worse than last year's Rockets team that won 55 games. It's obviously a tough task for such a team to put up a good fight against improved 73 wins team. Struggle isn't surprising.

Game 7, go Rockets.

You are something else, I'm tellin ya. I hadn't said anything about that for a bit, until you claimed he wasn't the real problem, and posted an article with information everybody knew (that the Warriors had more talented players, and that Harden cant do it himself), and before you insinuated that they played last game like they did all season.

Of course if you enter the middle of a conversation with that type of stuff, someone in the conversation will correct it or dispute it.

NovU, seriously. C'mon man...... it's obvious you are letting your personal dislike for me take over. You are speaking complete nonsense right now.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 1:25 am

I'd blame your incompetency and ego but...
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 1:26 am

NovU wrote:I'd blame your incompetency and ego but...

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 am

So CP3's status sill is up in the air. Even if he played, I doubt he's anywhere near 100%.

Book it. Warriors vs Cavaliers Part 4.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Curry is still that guy.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue May 29, 2018 1:04 pm

We all forget with all of the rockets' 3 point attempts that they can't match the 3 point shooting of the warriors
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm

[Q] wrote:We all forget with all of the rockets' 3 point attempts that they can't match the 3 point shooting of the warriors

Not sure anybody forgot about that, we have all been talking about Golden State having more firepower, and a big part of that is the 3 point shooters.

Curry and his 3rd quarter onslaughts, I think this is the 3rd game this series where he went ballistic in the 3rd.

Most of us were fooled by the chances of other teams making it, it should never have been in doubt. Warriors vs Cavs part 4, what the fans wanted, what the NBA delivered.

Celtics without the two biggest offseason aquisitions, and arguably the teams two best players? You got it. The Rockets missing Chris Paul the final two games after being up 3-2? You got it. Celtics 7-39 threes last night, Rockets 7-42 tonight, 14-81 total? You got it.

In reality, the Warriors should demolish the Cavs. Let's see what happens. Predicting 4-1 Warriors, because they will let Cleveland win one at home. So 4-1 Warriors, barring any funny business, suspensions, and mysterious injuries.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue May 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Do the rockets pull this off with cp3 at 100%?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm

[Q] wrote:Do the rockets pull this off with cp3 at 100%?

I don't think so.

Also, I need to point something out. I think it's pretty damn fishy that he isn't playing, I don't give a shit what anybody says.

The dude is in a game 7 with a chance to make the NBA finals, and he was listed as questionable before the game. YOU FUCKING TRY AND PLAY!. So many athletes play with injuries in non elimination games, if he can get up and walk, or run, he should be in the damn game.

That shit is flat out fishy. I think the Warriors were meant to win this anyway, it's what the fans wanted (globally it's the best thing for the league marketing wise, money wise) but I'll tell you what, the Chris Paul shit is a mystery to me. I don't care if its a pre-existing injury, or a reaggravated injury, if you are questionable before the game, you attempt to give it a damn go.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm

@Q, definitely, in game 6 most likely

i can fuck up Lamrock and make the Finals thread but i'm a good human

also harden turning the ball over in clutch possessions lol this is the MVP?

ariza is a washington wizards caliber player so i don't expect anything from him
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby NovU on Tue May 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Minus the CP3 I believe the Rockets are 50 to 54 win range team. It's obviously an uphill battle against casual 60+ win caliber team.

Seems like Curry will win a ring again. Hot damn, how many rings already for this kid.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Tue May 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
[Q] wrote:Do the rockets pull this off with cp3 at 100%?

I don't think so.

Also, I need to point something out. I think it's pretty damn fishy that he isn't playing, I don't give a shit what anybody says.

The dude is in a game 7 with a chance to make the NBA finals, and he was listed as questionable before the game. YOU FUCKING TRY AND PLAY!. So many athletes play with injuries in non elimination games, if he can get up and walk, or run, he should be in the damn game.

That shit is flat out fishy. I think the Warriors were meant to win this anyway, it's what the fans wanted (globally it's the best thing for the league marketing wise, money wise) but I'll tell you what, the Chris Paul shit is a mystery to me. I don't care if its a pre-existing injury, or a reaggravated injury, if you are questionable before the game, you attempt to give it a damn go.

A hamstring injury is no joke. It's a major muscle in the leg and it's not exactly something you can play with effectively. Plus, of it's not 100%, there is a very likely chance of reinjury or making it worse. Don't forget he dealt with this in 2015 game 7 against the Spurs. They closed them out so he had time to rest including game 1 vs the rockets before they blew the 3-1 lead with him back. With only one day of rest in between games, there was no way he'd be able to recover in time

You saw how well the warriors were shooting, there's no way you'd be able to play any kind of defense against that hobbling around on a bad hammy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball