2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Celtics in 4
No votes
Celtics in 5
No votes
Celtics in 6
7%
Celtics in 7
20%
Cavaliers in 4
20%
Cavaliers in 5
7%
Cavaliers in 6
27%
Cavaliers in 7
7%
To fill the week-long gap between the conference finals and NBA Finals, Boston and Houston play a series for third place
No votes
Isaiah Thomas on LeBron's title chances: "I don't know who the fuck that is."
13%

Total votes : 15

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Looking good Celtics.

Let's not blow it in the 4th.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 pm

Cavs on a bit of a run, but LeBron looks exhausted in this one. Still showing bursts of energy, but nowhere near as aggressive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Cavs on a bit of a run, but LeBron looks exhausted in this one. Still showing bursts of energy, but nowhere near as aggressive.

If Marcus Smart shoots one more bad three I swear I'm gonna lose it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Interesting approach by double-teaming Horford, but it did effectively bring Boston's offense to a grinding halt on two consecutive plays.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:Cavs on a bit of a run, but LeBron looks exhausted in this one. Still showing bursts of energy, but nowhere near as aggressive.

If Marcus Smart shoots one more bad three I swear I'm gonna lose it.

sometimes i just want to punch the damn tv. shit bothers me so much. i wish more players understood their worth and focused on that instead of everyone trying to be steph.
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Gotta love Lebron getting stuffed by Tatum, followed by dribbling it out of bounds and blaming his teammates.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 24, 2018 1:06 pm

3-2 Celtics. Let's see if a road win will end up deciding this series.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 24, 2018 1:15 pm

In 4 out of the 5 games in this series, LeBron has 29 assists and 24 turnovers. He's averaging 6.5 turnovers, and 7.2 assists in those 4 games. That's not gonna cut it. 6 turnovers and 5 assists tonight.

Also, what's up with being down by 16 with 3 minutes to go and sitting out the rest of the game? The score was 91-75 with 2:53 to go. That's not a give up point, that's a final push point.

Celtics got away with a foul on Kevin Love late in the 4th.

The comeback the Cavs had in the 4th was led by Jeff Green, who was attacking and hit that big three in the corner.

If the Celtics plan on winning this series, it can't be bombs away like it was at the beginning of the 4th. I understand open threes, but those contested threes by Smart and Brown were horrible shots. Celtics need to attack the basket at that point and put pressure on the defense.

Hope they end it in Cleveland, but I doubt it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hova- on Fri May 25, 2018 3:01 am

Dee4Three wrote:In 4 out of the 5 games in this series, LeBron has 29 assists and 24 turnovers. He's averaging 6.5 turnovers, and 7.2 assists in those 4 games. That's not gonna cut it. 6 turnovers and 5 assists tonight.

Also, what's up with being down by 16 with 3 minutes to go and sitting out the rest of the game? The score was 91-75 with 2:53 to go. That's not a give up point, that's a final push point.

Celtics got away with a foul on Kevin Love late in the 4th.

The comeback the Cavs had in the 4th was led by Jeff Green, who was attacking and hit that big three in the corner.

If the Celtics plan on winning this series, it can't be bombs away like it was at the beginning of the 4th. I understand open threes, but those contested threes by Smart and Brown were horrible shots. Celtics need to attack the basket at that point and put pressure on the defense.

Hope they end it in Cleveland, but I doubt it.

So you take out a 12 assists / 3 turnover performance (game 3) to make the stats look worse? At least use all five games ... so it is 8.2 assists and 5.2 turnovers. Why not use the real numbers? Just to make it look worse? (these numbers are still not very good)

You really think down 16 with 3 minutes to go in a game where no one is performing above average is a push point? I don't agree.

It's not LeBron who is to blame although he was not playing well in game 5. It is really a problem that the Celtics backcourt can relax on defense (or switch on every possession) as the Cavs just don't offer a lot offensively. JR missing open threes or George Hill completely missing the rim on an open mid range shot (I also thought his body language was looking bad).

The Cavs are just not good enough to beat the Celtics when they are playing their regular game. LeBron is not to blame in my opinion. I'd rather give the Cs credits for their performance, showing that they are better than the Cavaliers, especially deeper. It feels like every player of the Celtics rotation would be a big help on the Cavs roster. Baynes playing well, even Smart just because the Cavs lack hustle and D.

Celtics will win the series I think, maybe even in 6.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 am

Those stats are accurate as a whole for those 4 games. Those are the actual assists/turnovers totals and averages for 4 out of the 5 games. And if that's the case, that's not acceptable.

In regards to being down 16 with 3 minutes to go in the Eastern Conference finals, he absolutley should have been in the game. That isn't out of reach yet. Three stops and three buckets puts them right back in the thick of it, especially if one or two of those shots are threes.I could see if they were down by like 24, but 16?

LeBron in the 4th was straight bad, the stumbling into the Tatum block, the dribbling out of bounds, the deep three with about 6 seconds to go on the shot clock that bricked. Kevin Love wasn't used really at all in the second half, after having a strong first half. Why was Love not used? Why was he not involved more?

I think LeBron hasn't been able to get teammates in rhythm in this series as a whole. Far too many times he is dribbling into the end of the shot clock and making a last minute decision. I also think Lue adjustments or lack of are horrible, a good example is his excuse for not playing Korver more in game 5.

I don't think the Celtics close out in Cleveland, unfortunately. But it will be tough for Cleveland to win in Boston.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Fri May 25, 2018 4:59 am

"I'm going to use 4 out of 5 games as a barometer of X sucks.

Why are you using 4 out of 5 games to paint a picture of X?

Those are accurate. Those are actual. That's the case. It's not acceptable." /NLSCTrump

Lol, some Boston fans I tell ya. :lol:

Tatum is playing incredibly well for a rookie, don't get why Mark Jackson was ragging on Van Gundy for saying Tatum/Mitchell would probably go 1-2 if the draft was redone.

How did the Raptors fail so miserably against the Cavs?

JR Smith is trash.

Wish some of these games were a bit closer though. Still think the Indiana vs Cavs series was the best of the playoffs so far this year.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 am

Jackal wrote:
"I'm going to use 4 out of 5 games as a barometer of X sucks.

Why are you using 4 out of 5 games to paint a picture of X?

Those are accurate. Those are actual. That's the case. It's not acceptable." /NLSCTrump

Lol, some Boston fans I tell ya. :lol:

Tatum is playing incredibly well for a rookie, don't get why Mark Jackson was ragging on Van Gundy for saying Tatum/Mitchell would probably go 1-2 if the draft was redone.

How did the Raptors fail so miserably against the Cavs?

JR Smith is trash.

Wish some of these games were a bit closer though. Still think the Indiana vs Cavs series was the best of the playoffs so far this year.

4 out of 5 games is the majority of the series. Nothing to do with being a Celtics fan.

Also - putting Trump, or any corrupt political figure in here as a comparison or an attack makes you an ignorant asshole. Don't compare me to scum. Trump is responsible for a lot of ruined lives, adults and children. So are the likes of Hillary or anyone affiliated with the Clinton Foundation, and really most people involved in deep politics or behind the scenes. These people are also involved in innocent lives lost or taken.

Grow up, do your research, and don't be ignorant.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 am

Jr Smith sure is trash

They should both put on home uniforms or something

I agree this series hasn't been a fun watch
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Fri May 25, 2018 5:55 am

8 APG and 5 turnovers per game still makes me feel like he's doing more good than bad. I'd much rather have the ball in LeBron's hands and turn the ball over attempting to pass to a teammate for a layup than JR Smith playing hero ball and jacking up a contested 25 footer, which is basically a turnover but not counted as one. Efficient players in the past like Steve Nash have had high turnover numbers simply for the fact that they handle the ball for their team for 35-40+ minutes (and in Nash's case, a faster pace). At the end of the day, the Cavs have the best chance of winning with the ball in LeBron's hands.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 6:00 am

[Q] wrote:8 APG and 5 turnovers per game still makes me feel like he's doing more good than bad. I'd much rather have the ball in LeBron's hands and turn the ball over attempting to pass to a teammate for a layup than JR Smith playing hero ball and jacking up a contested 25 footer, which is basically a turnover but not counted as one. Efficient players in the past like Hornets CP3 and Steve Nash have had high turnover numbers simply for the fact that they handle the ball for their team for 35-40+ minutes. At the end of the day, the Cavs have the best chance of winning with the ball in LeBron's hands.

We will agree to disagree on how much he has the ball in his hands. Because I think its too much, and it makes it almost impossible for anybody else to get into a rythym (Like Kevin Love hardly touching the ball at all in the second half). LeBron is not making capable players around him better. JR Smith is not trash, but this is how some people on here operate.

Greg Monroe is trash
Jr Smith is trash
Jordan Clarkson is trash
Rodney Hood is trash
Tyler Ennis is trash
This team has a bunch of trash

Very in depth analysis, friends.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 am

At least the series almost being over will get the Lebron show on the road. What will he do? What won't he do? The Cavs are in a tough spot talentwise with the contracts they have on the books. It's pretty amazing how Lebron is Lebronning while Melo/Wade & Bosh are pretty much done with.

What happens with the Celtics by the way? Rozier won't be content backing up Irving full time, right? How about the forward rotation with Hayward coming back? Insane to think they have three first round picks in the 2019 draft too.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 6:18 am

Jackal wrote:At least the series almost being over will get the Lebron show on the road. What will he do? What won't he do? The Cavs are in a tough spot talentwise with the contracts they have on the books. It's pretty amazing how Lebron is Lebronning while Melo/Wade & Bosh are pretty much done with.

What happens with the Celtics by the way? Rozier won't be content backing up Irving full time, right? How about the forward rotation with Hayward coming back? Insane to think they have three first round picks in the 2019 draft too.

I think the Celtics trade Rozier while his value is high, as opposed to losing him for nothing when he hits free agency. His value has never been higher, this is the time. I think the forward rotation as I stated prior can fit Brown, Tatum and Hayward all in the same lineup, with Horford at Center and Kyrie at the point. That lineup is perfect for small ball era, and we will still have Marcus Morris and Marcus Smart coming off the bench. Tatum, Hayward and Brown are interchangeable between the 2, 3 and 4 positions, no reason to not start them all together.

Keeping Smart makes sense, because he is comfortable in his role and has already hit his ceiling. Just like before Evan Turner left (Brad saw the value in him, got the best out of him, and wanted him to stay), Brad gets the best out of Smart and sees the value in him. Smart knows hes not a max player, and his bread and butter and identity is in Boston.

I also think that they use that Rozier trade to create bench depth, as I don't think they will package him with anybody to get a star player. Also possibly getting a pick or two in return (His value is pretty damn high at the moment).

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri May 25, 2018 7:53 am

Also Thompson was trash last game

Rozier has been subpar the last 3. Not sure he is a lead guard on a contending team
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 8:05 am

air gordon wrote:Also Thompson was trash last game

Rozier has been subpar the last 3. Not sure he is a lead guard on a contending team

I think it's a team like the Suns who I believe have interest in Rozier, that I believe would make a move. I don't think it would be a top contending team. Orlando is another team looking for a PG, they would be another team in the mix I'm sure.

This would interest Rozier more I believe, for the fact that he would be able to make a name for himself and truly have an opportunity as a starter on an up and coming, young squad.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 am

hova- wrote:The Cavs are just not good enough to beat the Celtics when they are playing their regular game. LeBron is not to blame in my opinion. I'd rather give the Cs credits for their performance, showing that they are better than the Cavaliers, especially deeper. It feels like every player of the Celtics rotation would be a big help on the Cavs roster. Baynes playing well, even Smart just because the Cavs lack hustle and D.

i wish more people would see it this way. it seems whenever lebron loses people say "he does not have help" or they just flat out blame lebron. the celtics deserve credit for playing well. i guess when everyone continues to say they will lose it makes it hard to eat crow constantly so its just easier to say the cavs blew it
Sauru

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 25, 2018 12:11 pm

NovU wrote:Korver's also from LeBron's 2003 draft class.

Melo acting like a bitch on IG gave me a good chuckle the other day :lol:

BTW, thank you for bringing the Add Foe thing to exposure. Makes browsing this thread less cancerous.

Sauru wrote:i wish more people would see it this way. it seems whenever lebron loses people say "he does not have help" or they just flat out blame lebron. the celtics deserve credit for playing well. i guess when everyone continues to say they will lose it makes it hard to eat crow constantly so its just easier to say the cavs blew it

old man what you on about? everyone is praising the young celts team and brad stevens much like they did back with the pacers. but do you disagree that if LeBron had at least two-three good(not even franchise lead worthy, just good--what kevin love was supposed to be) and consistent players with him, he would have beaten the celts?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 25, 2018 12:45 pm

That game was all Celtics defense, made the Cavs commit more turnovers and attempt less shots.

Kevin Love has been playing with a partial tear in his left thumb since the Pacers series. Painkillers can help tolerate the pain but it will still affect his shooting and may be even his rebounding, it's not surprising he can be prominent then disappear in a game at times once the effect of the painkiller wears off.

Jackal wrote:How did the Raptors fail so miserably against the Cavs?

They tried to match the Cavs offense and (lack of) defense.

Cavs DRtg in that series was 112, Cavs DRtg in the regular season was 112, second worst in the league.
Raps ORtg in the series, 112. Regular season, 114. Only a 2 point difference.
We can rule out the Cavs playing better defense in that series vs the Raps.
Cavs made their usual defensive production, Raps made their usual offensive production.
When both teams are going at it on offense and not bothering with defense, the team with the better scoring star player/s usually wins. Fuck you too Jackal for hating Trump. He the best.
Last edited by shadowgrin on Fri May 25, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Fri May 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Kevin Love turns into Fat Love whenever Cavs are on the verge winning a series or blowing out a team it's hilarious
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote:
NovU wrote:Korver's also from LeBron's 2003 draft class.

Melo acting like a bitch on IG gave me a good chuckle the other day :lol:

BTW, thank you for bringing the Add Foe thing to exposure. Makes browsing this thread less cancerous.

Sauru wrote:i wish more people would see it this way. it seems whenever lebron loses people say "he does not have help" or they just flat out blame lebron. the celtics deserve credit for playing well. i guess when everyone continues to say they will lose it makes it hard to eat crow constantly so its just easier to say the cavs blew it

old man what you on about? everyone is praising the young celts team and brad stevens much like they did back with the pacers. but do you disagree that if LeBron had at least two-three good(not even franchise lead worthy, just good--what kevin love was supposed to be) and consistent players with him, he would have beaten the celts?

Kevin Love is good, he's just not allowed to get into a rythym or play his game.

And the cancerous comment makes you sound like a teenager.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Fri May 25, 2018 1:32 pm

SoF'nAwesome wrote: but do you disagree that if LeBron had at least two-three good(not even franchise lead worthy, just good--what kevin love was supposed to be) and consistent players with him, he would have beaten the celts?

i figured the cavs would still beat the celtics. in fact i still think they will.

i also think the media seems to be giving all the credit to brad stevens. basically they are saying he is simply out coaching everyone. now i believe he is a great coach but i have had to deal with this same argument with belichick and brady forever it seems. he has done an amazing job coaching but the celtics players are just better than people thought they would be.

honestly i just hate when people say a team is losing instead of a team is winning. a great example is when people talk about okc blowing a 3-1 lead to the warriors. however in that case they are saying KD blew it and since KD is a bitch i allow it
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball