2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (3) Philadelphia

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Make your prediction!

Celtics in 4 (lulz)
10%
Celtics in 5
No votes
Celtics in 6
10%
Celtics in 7
No votes
76ers in 4
10%
76ers in 5
20%
76ers in 6
30%
76ers in 7
No votes
Where is Lamrock? I hate NovU making thread. It's stupid, but I'm an idiot.
10%
Sauru/Jao/Dee cry their best players are hurt and claim this series don't count.
10%

Total votes : 10

2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (3) Philadelphia

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Is the Celtics vs 76ers RIVALRY back? Looking so as core of both teams are fairly young.

Hoping to see the 76ers led by Simmons and Embiid send Celtics back to the 'trust process' era.

The 76ers should be just bigger and better than the Celtics. 76ers in relatively not so exciting 6.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (3) Philadelphia

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Probably one of the more underrated rivalries in NBA history. It could really heat up again when both teams are at full strength, but as for this series, the lack of Kyrie and Hayward does put a damper on things.

As such, I'll pick the 76ers to "86" the Celtics' season in 6.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Fuck NovU for making the thread. Lamrock playoff threads give the NLSC life. Fuck NovU.

Sixers in 4, with one game where Fultz goes beast mode.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lamrock on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 am

Nice work, NovU! Anyway I got the Sixers in 5. Celtics may have overcome their massive talent deficiency against an incompetent Bucks team, but the 76ers are actually good, winners of 20 of their last 21 games. Prove me wrong, Scary Terry
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 am

I wouldn't say the Celtics have a massive talent deficiniancy.

While young, Tatum/Brown/Rozier/Horford/Morris have all shown to be very skilled. All 5 of them can get shots basically whenever they want (unless Horford is having one of his "I look like an old man" games)

Celtics have also not gotten worse defensively with the loss of Irving. Long, athletic, motivated and full of energy, they are still all of that. They still have Brown, Semi and Tatum who can guard 1 through 4.

Where I'm concerned is the second unit, I feel like Philly has more talent on the bench. I feel like the Celtics have the offensive weapons still to stay in the game and compete with most anybody, I am concerned about Embiid and Simmons In the paint.

Curious to see what the Celtics do defensively, I'm expecting that Aaron Baynes will play a bigger role in this series. He's the C's bruiser, and they will need his physicality in the paint.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Tue May 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Celtics in 6, shuddup NovU
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Lamrock wrote:Nice work, NovU! Anyway I got the Sixers in 5. Celtics may have overcome their massive talent deficiency against an incompetent Bucks team, but the 76ers are actually good, winners of 20 of their last 21 games. Prove me wrong, Scary Terry

This is why I said they didn't have a major talent deficiency. Morris, Rozier, Tatum, Horford are all guys that create there own shots. Even Marcus Smart has that ability in spurts.

If I said that the Celtics would start the season with a starting lineup of Rozier, Smart, Tatum, Baynes and Horford, you would have said lottery team. And if I said that team would beat a team who won 20 out of 21 games in a playoff game, you would have laughed in my face.

Stevens gets the best out of his guys, gives them confidence. Rozier showed glimpses of what he could do in the playoffs last year, and showed it in the first round and when Irving was out at the end of the season this year. Tatum didn't average more points during this season because he didn't have to, same with Morris and Horford.

Great win for the C's without Jaylen Brown. Pretty awesome.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue May 01, 2018 12:39 pm

We've been so focused on the impressive run by the young Sixers and all their talent, we overlooked the young Celtics and all their talent, even minus some key players. Well, you Celtics fans probably didn't, but the rest of us did. Impressive victory to open the series and hand the Sixers only their second loss in the past 22 games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue May 01, 2018 2:40 pm

I guess we all forgot this is where Brad Stevens' strength lie. Without true ballhogging superstar, the Celtics make balanced and disciplined plays. Stevens, praised to be a statistical analytic and moneyball nerd since college, has been building reputation for making something out of thin air.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue May 01, 2018 6:50 pm

76ers in 6. The sixers can have a really tough defense and the Celtics really need that allstar talent.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Dee4Three on Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm not guaranteeing a Celtics series win, but they absolutely have a chance to take this series. Great ball movement, to go along with players who can create, intense lockdown D, etc. Horford plays well against the 76ers, so this should be a great series for him.

But because we are all making predictions, I go C's in 7.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 am

NovU wrote:I guess we all forgot this is where Brad Stevens' strength lie. Without true ballhogging superstar, the Celtics make balanced and disciplined plays. Stevens, praised to be a statistical analytic and moneyball nerd since college, has been building reputation for making something out of thin air.

really good on stephens. it was a good defensive scheme for game 1. even if philly 3pt shooting was turrible and i think a lot of those were just the ball not going in instead of as a result of boston defense.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Fri May 04, 2018 11:44 am

Large lead by 76ers gone down to 5 in just matter of seconds. Darn these juiced up Celtics...

Rozier > Hayward / Irving

The Celtics are gonna have hard time choosing between those 3.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby NovU on Fri May 04, 2018 1:03 pm

76ers stagnant offense, keeps jacking up contested 3s. In contrast, the Celtics move the ball really well, selfless plays are finding open man.

Tatum played great while Simmons... is worst I've seen him playing. 2 best rookies of the year, Tatum came out a clear winner for the night.

Also fucking stupid Embiid on the near last defensive play against Horford. It doesn't matter if you have 5 fouls, you need to contest a shot when it's a ONE possession game. Frustrating to be rooting for 76e... or just against the Celtics.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Fri May 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Celtics have a lot of heart, and still a considerable amount of talent, depleted as they may currently be. Stevens is a great coach.

Smart's shot selection continues to be anything but, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat May 05, 2018 12:55 am

celtics have 76ers scrambling on defense like the bucks were. why not just concede perimeter shots to players like smart

i hope home cooking does philly well. i hate to see this series play out at this pace
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 am

air gordon wrote:celtics have 76ers scrambling on defense like the bucks were. why not just concede perimeter shots to players like smart

Judging by the highlights, game 2 was a 3 point shootout. I don't know if I want to be conceding anything if they're hitting them consistently with a hand in the face. Boston shot 48 and 41% in each game with over 30 attempts in each game. But then Philly was also giving up layups and dunks so I don't know what to think lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat May 05, 2018 3:14 am

from the highlights you could say baynes is a nahtzee
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 am

[Q] wrote:But then Philly was also giving up layups and dunks so I don't know what to think lol

Definitely a couple of weak defensive possessions by the 76ers in crunch time, letting Rozier and Horford get to the hoop for very casually contested layups.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 am

Almost a complete choke job by Philly, let's see if it pays off in overtime
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 06, 2018 9:58 am

Gotta love all the people who said the C's would get pummeled by Philly.

3-0.

Certainly won't be Cleveland vs Philly, like many were so confident about. Lack of "all star power", no problem.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sun May 06, 2018 10:11 am

This just about does it for the 76ers' season. Disappointing to go down in a series most picked them to win, but you have to call the year a huge success for them overall. Embiid proved he could stay healthy (for the most part), Simmons looks like a future star, and some of their other guys made big strides as well. With Fultz hopefully ready to go next season, and some real playoff experience behind them, they'll be one of the most exciting teams to watch next year. As good as the Celtics played, the 76ers beat themselves this game. They made a ton of fixable mistakes, and if they let it, this loss could be a very valuable learning experience for them.

Kudos to Boston though. Holy shit.
Lamrock

Postby Dee4Three on Sun May 06, 2018 10:49 am

It's not 100% over yet, but agreed that it was a hell of a season for Philly, and priceless playoff experience/learning lessons. They would have nothing to be ashamed about.

The 76ers have a bright future.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun May 06, 2018 12:19 pm

I'll admit to underestimating the Celtics, but in my defense, the 76ers came into the series red hot. As noted, it has been a tremendous season for them, and the future is bright. I think the Celtics' run will end with LeBron and the Cavs, but then again, who knows. Again, I've already underestimated their ability to play better than the sum of their parts when shorthanded.

As for this series, the 76ers might still take Game 4 to avoid the sweep, but I certainly don't see them pulling off the improbable four straight wins to win it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 pm

where is the old man with the larry bird avatar?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball