2018 PLAYOFFS: (4) Oklahoma City vs. (5) Utah

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Thunder in 4
No votes
Thunder in 5
7%
Thunder in 6
20%
Thunder in 7
13%
Jazz in 4
7%
Jazz in 5
20%
Jazz in 6
No votes
Jazz in 7
20%
Quin Snyder leaves Jazz to return some video tapes
7%
Westbrook kicks it into high gear, averaging quadruple double with turnovers
7%

Total votes : 15

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (4) Oklahoma City vs. (5) Utah

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Watching Westbrook put his heart and soul into this series and this game, only to lose because he had hardly any production from anybody outside of Steven Adams (tonight), makes me sad. Dude literally tries so hard, meanwhile Melo and George looked like they were going through the motions.

George with the 2 for 15 with 5 points in 45 minutes, in an elimination game. Dude is way overrated, I've been saying that for a few years now (and my brother always fights me on it). Not sure the LA fans who know a lick about basketball would want Randle out and George in at this point.

I think that yes, George was used to being the man. But at the same time, to look the way he did in this game (I am questioning his effort), and to put up such a stinker from the floor. Ugh.

The brodie doesn't have many primed years left, hoping next season works out better for him.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Russ is probably the funnest player in the league to watch, but also the most polarizing. He definitely played his ass off these last two games, but between the poorly constructed roster and their garbage coach, they weren't able to beat a Jazz team missing their point guard and not bothering to rebound.

Playoff P was playoff poop but he was good in the other games this series. He's an inconsistent shooter, but he's still an elite two-way wing on par with Jimmy Butler. He can't be the top player on a championship team, but let's not give up on him after one poor game. He's better than Julius Randle, but ideally for LA they would have both next season.
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:02 pm

43 shot attempts to score 46 points is not a good basketball. Couple that with 5 assists on 5 turnovers, that is again not a good basketball. Russ can be very good but overrated. Some think he's a first team superstar, but he's not CP3 nor Harden.

It seems Mitchell is getting huge credits from both fans and media. But in midst of all the praising, they're again forgetting Gobert's the most valuable guy to the team.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

That's probably the end of the OK3 experiment. There were questions from the start, but I can't fault the Thunder for rolling the dice on them. They needed to be stacked if they wanted to try to compete with the likes of the Warriors and Rockets, and that was the best they could do.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Indeed, was a fun experiment worthwhile as well.

Westy is in tricky situation now. Thunder are his team but now what? Trade him or keep trying building around him. I am thinking he's a goner in a couple of years.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Lamrock wrote:between the poorly constructed roster and their garbage coach

Sam Presti is overrated. Keeps fucking it up. He's never the same after fucking up the loss of Harden.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:41 pm

The butt cheeks were clinching in that one
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby volsey on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:29 am

I mean... George still at least contributed on the defensive end, which is why he racked up so many minutes. Offensively I feel like PG wasn't getting any calls at all. I wasnt cheering for either team honestly, but I feel like OKC got robbed with at least 6 nocalls/terrible calls in the last couple of minutes.

Meanwhile Russ just kept shooting. How does a single player shoot 19 3 pointers in a game? I counted at least 3 airballs in the last quarter alone.

They got the game tied or at least close, they didn't need a 3 and he still continued to jack up contested 3s? I understand wanting to make a big shot and seeing momentum, but they were finally back into it, it was close; was Golbert that big of a factor?

Then at the end, they kind of need a 3 and he misses 2 wide open ones for the tie.

Meanwhile Melo was non existent. The entire game. On either end. Dammit I was hoping for this game to contribute come playoffs.
volsey

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:57 am

Therein lies the caveat to "threes are better because they're worth more than twos": you need to be able to make them at a good clip.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Something to be answered.

1) What if the Thunder kept Oladipo who has been having a breakout season. Could he have done about the same alongside Westy? Does the Thunder regret?
2) Playoff P even though widely regarded as one of the best wings in the league, the Pacers managed to visibly improve right after his departure.
3) Will other superstars in this league want to suit up with Westy in Oklahoma now that history indicates Westy's numbers come with their sacrifice and team loss. (Harden, KD, Oladipo all achieved something after leaving while new comers took a hit after joining Westy)
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:36 pm

That is a good point that no one's really gone that far WITH Westbrook, and at the same time Carmelo's gone nowhere either so it was a combination doomed from the start
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Even if the Thunder kept Oladipo he'd still suck for them, imo he's the type of player that would only thrive as a first option else he'd be average like the way he played for his past teams.

Harden had always been good with OKC, Westbrook wasn't holding him back, it was the coach trying to play Harden like Ginobili because the Thunder bench sucked, you can thank Sam Presti for that.
Same with Durant, moving to a 73-9 team will always help you achieve something.
Oladipo, see above.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 am

Obviously there was the Finals appearance in 2012, and they were a win away from going to the NBA Finals in 2016. I think there are still question marks surrounding Westbrook and his ability to truly be a floor general and franchise player, but the Thunder have had success with him. The OK3 turned out to be as incompatible as most predicted, but again, it was the best they were going to do and it was worth a try.

The bad news is that Anthony is not about to sacrifice anything for the good of the team.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phil89 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Andrew wrote:The bad news is that Anthony is not about to sacrifice anything for the good of the team.

Especially not that $28 million player option for next season :doh:

Not really sure what OKC do if PG leaves and Melo opts in. Their cap will be horrendous and their roster probably won't be playoff standard.
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:18 pm

They'd be in for a tough year, but at least Melo would be off the books after the season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed May 02, 2018 4:18 am

NovU wrote:Something to be answered.

1) What if the Thunder kept Oladipo who has been having a breakout season. Could he have done about the same alongside Westy? Does the Thunder regret?
2) Playoff P even though widely regarded as one of the best wings in the league, the Pacers managed to visibly improve right after his departure.
3) Will other superstars in this league want to suit up with Westy in Oklahoma now that history indicates Westy's numbers come with their sacrifice and team loss. (Harden, KD, Oladipo all achieved something after leaving while new comers took a hit after joining Westy)

i agree with shadow regarding dipo. really amazing he broke out. thought he was just a garbage time stat special

Playoff P is the goat for the series which i think is a reflection on him, not Brodie. not sure if PG was expecting some calls but that was really bad. Brodie is ride or die so tough titty on PG for not bringing it.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball