GAME INTRO - Or, lack thereof

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

GAME INTRO - Or, lack thereof

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:38 am

Hi all,

Anybody else notice the lack of an intro video for 2K18? I certainly did.

I have fond memories of when I first put on NBA Live 98, and the beginning intro would play (actual video in those days), and who can forget the amazing music that went in it. Or last year, Shady's opening video. One of the coolest things is when you put on the game for the first time, you are so hyped up, and the intros certainly help with that. Look how hard NBA 2K16's intro was worked on, granted it was different, it was still relevant and exciting.

The lack of an intro in NBA 2K18 was surprising, it caught me off guard. You are literally directed right to the menu.

What would you have liked to see in 2K18? and what would you like to see in 2K19?

Here are some intros from past NBA games to get you in the mood to talk about it.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: GAME INTRO - Or, lack thereof

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:23 am

The usual intro is definitely conspicuous by its absence in NBA 2K18. I'd be lying if I said I watched the intro all the way through each and every time, because I'm only guaranteed to do that the first time I fire up the game. Like you said though, that's often a big part of checking out a new release for the first time, and getting hyped to play. If you happen to really like a certain intro, you might watch it more than once, when you're in the mood to do so.

To me, the absence of an intro kind of sums up the general vibe of NBA 2K18, and my feeling that it has a lot of elements that weren't quite finished in time. I also wonder if there was an intro done that prominently featured Kyrie Irving in Cleveland, which got scrapped when he was traded before the game came out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 am

I doubt that the same thing will happen with 2K19, I am sure an intro will be included.

With that being said, it's hard to say the game was rushed, when you have so much work that was put into adding silly unrealistic new features, and ramping up the new mycareer mode (Think about how much work that took, this includes all the fancy VC graphics screens). I would like to say that yes, many parts of the game feel rushed, but not the money makers. Which, speaks volumes in my opinion.

Back to intro videos, which do you prefer? Video with real highlights? a mix, or just the actual in vide game gameplay footage?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:20 am

I have a lot of nostalgia for the old intros featuring real highlights, but I think these days, with how far the graphics have come, it's best to use in-game footage. It shows off the game, and some of the cool stuff you can expect to see while playing it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:57 am

I really dont care about the intro, it's cool at first launch for sure ... but after I wish to swap it forever.

I also dont think that graphics have come that far, specially while playing with TV cam.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:37 am

I also don't watch it all the way through that often after the first boot up.

I think the close up graphics have improved significantly, and that's usually what intros focus on. That, and obviously the repertoire of moves (Which are also viewed as close ups). Not only that, while we think the newer games certainly over animate sometimes, the animations have obviously come a long way in video games. Remember, we didn't even have signature jump shot animations until 05-06.

Showing off authenticity with gameplay intros has been a staple in basketball games, which is what I expected when I booted up 2K18 for the first time. Boot ups will often feature things like: Signature celebrations, dunks, pull ups, etc.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:18 am

The graphics and animations have definitely improved over the years. There isn't always a big jump year to year, and some years there might be issues with lighting and whatnot, but the graphics have come a long way. To grab a few examples at random points in the timeline of basketball games, starting with NBA Live 95 and running through NBA Live 2000, NBA Live 06, NBA 2K14, and all the way to NBA 2K18...

The detail on both players and environments has come a long way, as has the quality and variety of animations, including player-specific animations. There's a lot more to show off in the intro these days, whereas in the older games, a video reel of real highlights was much better for presentation. It's now possible to use in-game footage to create reels that look like actual highlights; not so much back in the day. It was also something of a novelty to have real videos in video games at one point, especially when not all platforms could support it (such as a cartridge-based system, like the N64). These days, that's not so special.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 pm

I'm agree about animations, they have improved in a big way.
But from 2K10/11 to 2K18, environnements and lighting arent so much better.
Since "next gen", there's more polygons on 3D models, but it's a sligth improvment, not a big step comparing to AAA games (Witcher / Assassin Creed) : there's a lot of work to do.

About Intro, they should ask guys like Shady00018 :idea:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 pm

The intros with real highlights date back to a time when the animations and overall graphics weren't as good as they've been for the past decade or so. That's the point there; the real clips were preferable back then, but from the PS2 era onwards, it's been more viable to use in-game clips.

Shady did the NBA 2K17 intro, so I'm surprised they didn't get him to do one for NBA 2K18. As I said though, it's possible there was one ready to go, but it was cut after Kyrie Irving was traded, as I assume he would've been heavily featured in clips wearing a Cavaliers jersey.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:47 am

I agree with Sticky about the lighting and atmosphere, but as I stated prior, what they focus on is the close-ups. Just look at Shady's video for 2K17, all close up highlights. It's supposed to WOW people, it's supposed to show off the authenticity of the faces/moves. There is no doubt that the graphics themselves have drastically improved, mainly because the hardward is just that much better.

With that being said, something can be said for last gens graphics specifically. I personally think they are more than acceptable, even without mods. Gameplay trumps all though, and luckily most of the last gen 2k games (And a couple of lives) hold up on the gameplay spectrum.

Shady's video was good, but I think a good 2K promotional/marketing opportunity would be to have users submit videos to 2K. Make it like a contest. They can have a big announcement as well.

What do you guys think of that?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:08 am

Would they be submitting videos for a chance to create the intro, or videos that would be a part of the intro?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:21 am

Andrew wrote:Would they be submitting videos for a chance to create the intro, or videos that would be a part of the intro?

Submitting videos with a chance to create the intro, using 2K18.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:28 am

Ah, makes sense. It'd be a good community initiative.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:41 am

video of the month changes the intro for one month
video of the year, for the first month of the release
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 am

sticky-fingers wrote:video of the month changes the intro for one month
video of the year, for the first month of the release

Not a bad idea to keep people engaged, and keep the competition going.

However, I think if they ever decided to do this, the first go would just be the intro video in general (As opposed to patching a video in every time they renew the contest).

Andrew, you obviously have more contact with them. Any chance you could pitch this idea to them?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA 2K18