2018 PLAYOFFS: (4) Cleveland vs. (5) Indiana

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Cavs in 4
18%
Cavs in 5
6%
Cavs in 6
29%
Cavs in 7
6%
Pacers in 4
No votes
Pacers in 5
6%
Pacers in 6
6%
Pacers in 7
12%
Mike Pence attends game 3, immediately gets up and leaves
6%
Kendrick Perkins: "We've got a [expletive] squad now"
12%

Total votes : 17

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (4) Cleveland vs. (5) Indiana

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 am

dwayne2005 wrote:There we go, another playoff loss and another round of blame Isaiah for everything:

"The season was crippled before it began by the forced trade of Kyrie Irving and by the misfit who was acquired for him, Isaiah Thomas."

But I thought the midseason trade was suppose to have rectified everything that was wrong with the team? According to the likes of Charles Barkley, they were now destined to become finals contenders with the fixes they made, not face a possible defeat in the first round?

imo, even the pre-deadline team could've been moderately successful had it not been for Lue's horrendous lineups; Crowder is even less of a PF than Love is a C.

I still believe a lineup of IT-Wade-Bron-Love-TT wouldn't have been bad; whatever you lost with Kyrie you make up for with IT and Wade.

As for the current team, Love on the floor with Hill, JR, Bron and Korver is redundant not only offense (5 perimeter guys), but even worse on defense; the struggle to get a defensive rebound is real.
[Hyperize]

Postby NovU on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 am

cavs4872 wrote:I still believe a lineup of IT-Wade-Bron-Love-TT wouldn't have been bad; whatever you lost with Kyrie you make up for with IT and Wade.

I think that would have been just horrible. Post trade Isaiah/Wade have been just as expected, trash. TT is dearly being missed though.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44 am

Well anyone with half a brain can't blame IT as it was Kyrie that forced a trade and the Cavs took what they could get
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am

[Q] wrote:Well anyone with half a brain can't blame IT as it was Kyrie that forced a trade and the Cavs took what they could get

I believe if they traded the Brooklyn pick for DeAndre it would've been overpaying for essentially a playoff rental, but if they could've gotten a player like that we would all be singing a different tune, so there's that aspect of the trade that has yet to manifest itself.

It's a good debate: DeAndre makes them a legitimate title contender in my book, so is it worth trading a pick who could be a potential bust and is 99.99% not bringing a title to Cleveland unless he's playing alongside LeBron James for a player who gives you an actual shot at a title this season?

I think so; heck, look at Anthony Bennett.
[Hyperize]

Postby dwayne2005 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:25 am

NovU wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:I still believe a lineup of IT-Wade-Bron-Love-TT wouldn't have been bad; whatever you lost with Kyrie you make up for with IT and Wade.

I think that would have been just horrible. Post trade Isaiah/Wade have been just as expected, trash. TT is dearly being missed though.

At one point Isaiah had risen to a 59% true shooting rating (I believe 42-37-90 shooting percentages), 3% below 2016-17, and just 1% below Julius Randle for the most efficient scoring on the Lakers based on season percentages (during the stretch he played, several players were much better than their season averages). Then Isaiah's game sunk, and he pulled out to get surgery. Possibly the decline marks the point when his hip started playing up again, but for a time he was dramatically better than he was in Cleveland at least in shooting. He was also getting a good number of assists and a fair assist to turnover ratio during that stretch, and his DFG% was low (as it was in Cleveland). After the decline, it became more of a turnover to assist ratio. But he definitely showed signs that he could have been a decent player again.

I thought Dwyane Wade played reasonably well by numbers during the IT stretch. There was a stretch of about 15 games where he posted Cavs version IT like shooting numbers when he was playing alongside Tristan Thompson when IT was not playing. During the IT run, I felt offensively and defensively he should've been in the starting line up (it seems he and Wade developed a friendship in Cleveland so the chemsitry might have worked as well). Since he was traded to the Heat, he had a horrific TS% of 46%. Even in Cleveland, IT's TS% was 2.5% higher at 49%.

During the IT stretch when Cleveland were 7-8, there were 5 other games Isaiah didn't play in. I believe 3 games prior to IT joining the team and 2 additional games when he was not permitted to play back to back games out of concern for his health status. In those 5 games, Cleveland went 0-5! Cleveland were going through a bad patch with or without Isaiah Thomas. Repeatedly, the media in Cleveland cited the full stretch of games as incriminating of Isaiah, including the 0-5 he didn't actually partake in. During the first 5 of those games, I noticed LeBron James also had really bad games by his standard but the media gave him a pass and singled out Isaiah Thomas for the deficits. In the subsequent 10 games, LeBron picked up his game but Thomas didn't.

Actually, pre-trade both Dwyane Wade and Isaiah Thomas were the two lowest players on the Cavs during the 15 game stretch in terms of defensive field goal percentage, despite the media insisting time and again (including that idiot Colin Cowherd, who made up a proven fabricated storyline in a Lakers game against Portland in his indictment of Isaiah) that Thomas' assignment was having their way with him offensively. According to Cowherd, the other teams coach was telling them to just give it off to Isaiah's assignments. Unfortunately, while not true for the season as a whole, it ended on a bad note in that regard by Rajon Rondo; the same twit who repeatedly hit him and elbowed him in the face in an earlier game (that somehow earnt Thomas an ejection) because Paul Pierce felt slighted and insulted over a video tribute planned for Thomas. But on the whole, it wasn't true. If anything was true, then Isaiah was weak in his lateral defense allowing assignments to run around him. For most of the season up until that Rajon Rondo game, his opponents had similar shooting percentage to his (40-41%). They would have been shooting a lower FT% than Isaiah on the average on fewer free throws, so the TS% might have been equal or worse than Thomas'. Thomas was repeatedly blamed for all of their defensive woes when it was more often than not players at other positions who were doing the scoring.
dwayne2005

Postby NovU on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Current version of Isaiah and Wade are trash no matter how you put it. They might have had bit of value for the Cavs' series against the Pacers as they're shot creators but they just aren't a game changer anymore or at this stage of their career.

Isaiah was fucked by the Celtics and Ainge. This is why Leonard Kawhi and many other players in the league don't give a fuck about what team docs say anymore. Isaiah because of loyalty played through injury when he had to opt for the surgery and rest. Post Isaiah has been trash, glimpse of his former self wasn't gonna save the Cavs, it is a wishful thinking to claim so.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby NovU on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Sloppy fourth quarter by both teams. Scores are close but I think other series of this round are offering more entertaining basketball tbh.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 pm

tbf to Ainge he did fire all the Celtics trainers and medical staff from last season because of the way IT got fucked up with the misdiagnosis.
On the other hand you could say Ainge was simply trying to absolve himself by firing the staff.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Pacers were in it but choked it away with some terrible offensive posessions
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Charles Barkley that the Pacers needed to win that one in order to win the series. Not that it isn't still doable, but that was a golden opportunity for them.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby dwayne2005 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:08 am

When Love was playing exactly like this during the Isaiah stint (got 10 shots), Isaiah was being blamed for stealing all the shots. Are they blaming others taking away the shots from Love now? Or is this only a thing they do when Isaiah is on the team?

This guy pulls out of games for 'panic attacks' and then when he hides it from his team mates and they start asking questions the blame gets put on ... Isaiah Thomas (despite Dwyane Wade now being credited as the instigator of the locker room turmoil). I get my share of panic attacks, I understand them. I would be a wreck out there on the court. But I'd know more would be (rightfully) expected of me if I was earning over 20 million a year.
dwayne2005

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:20 am

phpBB [video]

I can't believe after all these years LeBron is giving Lance the time of day (he's just DeShawn 2.0), but he probably realizes it was meant to be.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am

Stephenson is an irritant out there, and he's certainly got a history with LeBron.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 am

dwayne2005 wrote:This guy pulls out of games for 'panic attacks' and then when he hides it from his team mates and they start asking questions the blame gets put on ... Isaiah Thomas (despite Dwyane Wade now being credited as the instigator of the locker room turmoil). I get my share of panic attacks, I understand them. I would be a wreck out there on the court. But I'd know more would be (rightfully) expected of me if I was earning over 20 million a year.

Even if you have the same mental condition your experiences and environment are different from Love, just because you understand the feeling of having a panic attack doesn't mean his situation is always the same as yours.
Yours has to be one of the most retarded reasoning I have seen and I have seen plenty. It's mostly made retarded by mentioning the salary like it's relevant.
You think he's gonna be able to think straight and remember about his salary in the middle of his panic attacks and just instantly flip a switch to turn it off so he could perform as expected of his pay grade?
He did and still is getting professional help for his condition after he got his first panic attack in his life and subsequent occurences of it this season, he knows a lot is expected of him as a highly paid pro athlete that's why he got professional help instead of continuing to deny his condition or ignoring it through other means like alcohol and drug use. He hid it at first because of the stigma attached to a mental condition like his and yours.

Targeting Love's mental condition just to criticize the way Thomas was treated in Cleveland is just plain stupid.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 am

lol well said
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:39 am

shadowgrin wrote:
dwayne2005 wrote:This guy pulls out of games for 'panic attacks' and then when he hides it from his team mates and they start asking questions the blame gets put on ... Isaiah Thomas (despite Dwyane Wade now being credited as the instigator of the locker room turmoil). I get my share of panic attacks, I understand them. I would be a wreck out there on the court. But I'd know more would be (rightfully) expected of me if I was earning over 20 million a year.

Even if you have the same mental condition your experiences and environment are different from Love, just because you understand the feeling of having a panic attack doesn't mean his situation is always the same as yours.
Yours has to be one of the most retarded reasoning I have seen and I have seen plenty. It's mostly made retarded by mentioning the salary like it's relevant.
You think he's gonna be able to think straight and remember about his salary in the middle of his panic attacks and just instantly flip a switch to turn it off so he could perform as expected of his pay grade?
He did and still is getting professional help for his condition after he got his first panic attack in his life and subsequent occurences of it this season, he knows a lot is expected of him as a highly paid pro athlete that's why he got professional help instead of continuing to deny his condition or ignoring it through other means like alcohol and drug use. He hid it at first because of the stigma attached to a mental condition like his and yours.

Targeting Love's mental condition just to criticize the way Thomas was treated in Cleveland is just plain stupid.

He never said that he would be able to get out of a panic attack because of how much he made, he said that he would understand that more would be expected of him if he made 20 million a year. And, his statement is absolutely correct, more would be expected of him if he made $20 million a year. You even say that he knows more is expected of him in the next sentence. The money he makes is relevant due to the fact that he has a stage now to impact more people with his story, it was brave to come out and admit that. Also, it matters in the scope of perception.

Mentioning IT makes some sense, as it was portrayed that he was the one who lashed out at Love after his randomly leaving a game (Due to a panic attack). IT was labeled as the aggressor by the media. It turns out that it was more Wade, but some of the damage had already been done. No, I don't think the Kevin Love situation had anything to do with the short stint for IT in Cleveland, but I do believe the media played a role in making the villain out of IT, and the Love case is another example of that. IT would have had that short stint in CLE anyway, but Dwayne2005 seems to be mostly frustrated with the way IT has been portrayed by the media this season. That is his main concern.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-cavaliers-isaiah-thomas-vs-kevin-love-denies-call-out-team-meeting/g8lfh5l6ye3m16iog0zx04lhr
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:32 am

Andrew wrote:I'm inclined to agree with Charles Barkley that the Pacers needed to win that one in order to win the series. Not that it isn't still doable, but that was a golden opportunity for them.

When Cleveland is on, they are ON especially with LeBron leading them. Can't give em any momentum or else they could make a run and beat you in the series. Pacers definitely needed that win to help close em out but now it'll be a dogfight for them to win the series now
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am

LeBron with a blatant goaltend on the game-saving block. Terrible. I mean, he came up with the big shot after that, and his three would've beaten Oladipo's two, but shame on the referees.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Lol @ LBJ being ultra hyped up after that game winner. He didnt look that excited when he first won the championship. This is 5th game of 1st round you know.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Well, according to social media it solidified him as the GOAT, so I guess he had reason to celebrate.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Andrew wrote:Well, according to social media it solidified him as the GOAT, so I guess he had reason to celebrate.

Lol
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 pm

lebron james. the best most underrated and most scrutinized player ever

an outstanding game by him, even by his standards, and here you guys talk about social media and post game celebrations
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:55 pm

air gordon wrote:lebron james. the best most underrated and most scrutinized player ever

an outstanding game by him, even by his standards, and here you guys talk about social media and post game celebrations

Andrew isn't wrong, about the goaltend or social media.

And, a lot of people also believe he's the most overrated player ever. So that is certainly debatable.

Clutch last second shot by James, the refs botched his goaltend before it, but also botched the out of bounds call on LeBron the play before. With that being said, classic LeBron plowing on that play, to go along with classic LeBron plowing throughout the night, to the tune of 15 MADE free throws in the game.

Indiana was up by 7, and then the free throw clinic started in the 3rd quarter, seemingly every time you looked at the TV CLE was at the line. Suddenly, CLE was up by 10.

I agree with some out there who say that the NBA has the worst refs in sports (NFL can't be that far behind). Between the Bucks vs Celtics series where they admit on social media that calls were missed (game deciders) in the final 5 minute frames, to this series, to the constant travels they allow by Harden and the like who pick up the dribble and jump backwards for shots, it's truly embarrassing how bad the officiating can be. Sometimes you have to wonder the amount of truth to Tim Donaghys words.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Gordon, there's no denying he is the Michael Jordan of his era.

44-10-8 performance feels totally ordinary and nobody talks about such amazing performance anymore, lol.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 am

I do want to point out one thing.

I actually hate the goaltending rule (If the ball hits the glass first, its a goaltend). I think its BS, because who knows if the ball would make it above the cylinder? For example, who knows if that Oladipo layup would have had a chance to go in? Even so, why are defenders getting penalized for blocking these shots?

Never liked the rule. In my opinion, blocking off the glass should absolutely be allowed, even if the ball hit's it first, as long as the ball is not above the cylinder. I think that's what is kind of lost in this whole thing. Yes, under the current rules, LeBron goaltended the shot and it should have been 2 points to IND, but if the rules were the way they should be, that would be a good defensive play.

I think LeBron gets away with murder during games, but I am also a realist. I think the block and the three were good plays, but I think his drive on Thad (and many throughout the game) were offensive fouls, complete trash, as he continues to just use his off arm (extended) to push the defender out of his way while he drives. Andrew isn't wrong about the goaltend, neither is Oladipo, but I wish that rule would change.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball