Re: Fake NBA 2K19 trailer blowing up on YouTube

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:43 pm

"Why would anyone fake it? If it's on the Internet, it must be true!"
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 am

I hate these videos. Clearly some of the work used here is modded material made by the talented modding community... the person who put this out there is a selfish asshole.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

cavs4872 wrote:
phpBB [video]

And stupid viewers are none the wiser.

Are they any more stupid than people who pre-order something without any information on what they are paying for?
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 am

Different kind of ignorance, I'd say. Also, someone might pre-order a game knowing the risks and being willing to accept the consequences because they generally like the brand/series and intend on getting it anyway, or want the opportunity to have the pre-order bonus content. That's a little different to refusing to believe that something on the Internet could be a hoax.

Also, you've got the issue of gamers trying to deceive fellow gamers. It's one thing for a developer to have marketing spin or offer pre-orders. That's the nature of the business and we're aware of it, so we know to take things with a grain of salt and be cautiously optimistic. When we're trying to deceive each other and spread misinformation, that's unfair and damaging to gaming communities who are passionate about their hobby, and want genuine and reliable details. To that end, it's also a little weird that people will be (rightfully) sceptical of what a developer says, but unquestionably believe someone with no credibility or proof who claims to have "leaked" footage or information.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am

Andrew wrote:Different kind of ignorance, I'd say. Also, someone might pre-order a game knowing the risks and being willing to accept the consequences because they generally like the brand/series and intend on getting it anyway, or want the opportunity to have the pre-order bonus content. That's a little different to refusing to believe that something on the Internet could be a hoax.

Also, you've got the issue of gamers trying to deceive fellow gamers. It's one thing for a developer to have marketing spin or offer pre-orders. That's the nature of the business and we're aware of it, so we know to take things with a grain of salt and be cautiously optimistic. When we're trying to deceive each other and spread misinformation, that's unfair and damaging to gaming communities who are passionate about their hobby, and want genuine and reliable details. To that end, it's also a little weird that people will be (rightfully) sceptical of what a developer says, but unquestionably believe someone with no credibility or proof who claims to have "leaked" footage or information.

Watching a fake video doesn't cost the viewer anything except time.

Pre-ordering something does. Paying money months ahead of time before even the developers are able to talk about any changes, new thing, fixes, etc., is pretty dumb in my opinion. Then the product comes out along with the screams of "I want my money back".
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am

If someone pre-orders blindly and then complains that they want their money back, sure, it's hypocritical. It doesn't make their specific criticisms invalid, of course, but they only have themselves to blame. They knew, or should've known, what they were getting into. However, if they understand the risks and consequences of trusting the brand they like while hoping for the best, and are willing to weather the cost and are able to afford it, so be it.

Believing that nothing on the Internet could be faked is incredibly naive though, and not demonstrating any understanding of the risks of believing everything you see, hear, and read, nor the notion that someone might spread misinformation simply for attention. Like I said, it's weird how some people will (rightfully) be sceptical of information coming straight from the source, understanding that it will have marketing spin, but unquestioningly believe some random person has "leaked" footage or a scoop way ahead of the preview season.

Beyond that, it's just a lousy thing for us gamers to be doing to one another.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 am

Lol at them hate comments talking about how similar it looks to 2K18. These sure aren't the smartest people.
I Hate Mondays

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 am

In the era of fake news and Russians influencing dumb Americans with fake posts, this doesn't surprise me in the least
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 am

[Q] wrote:In the era of fake news and Russians influencing dumb Americans with fake posts, this doesn't surprise me in the least

The funniest part is: The fake news is coming from main networks (Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, etc). The controlled news/controlled oppositions sure fool people and get them riled up. We live in an age where not only are all the major news stations (and some local) owned by the Government, but in an era where social media is used to conquer and divide at all costs. I make sure to not trust anything I see on the "News".

Just like this fake trailer, which is used not only for selfish purposes (views, attention), but also to generate a reaction. The amount of people that fall for this doesn't surprise me at all, people are ridiculous.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am

If you go back far enough in the old NBA Live sections, you'll find posts from people claiming that their father works for EA, and that they have some exclusive information to leak. Beyond our community, there was the person who strung everyone along, claiming they knew how to acquire the Triforce in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's always for attention, and to mess with people.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:19 am

Andrew wrote:If someone pre-orders blindly and then complains that they want their money back, sure, it's hypocritical. It doesn't make their specific criticisms invalid, of course, but they only have themselves to blame. They knew, or should've known, what they were getting into. However, if they understand the risks and consequences of trusting the brand they like while hoping for the best, and are willing to weather the cost and are able to afford it, so be it.

Believing that nothing on the Internet could be faked is incredibly naive though, and not demonstrating any understanding of the risks of believing everything you see, hear, and read, nor the notion that someone might spread misinformation simply for attention. Like I said, it's weird how some people will (rightfully) be sceptical of information coming straight from the source, understanding that it will have marketing spin, but unquestioningly believe some random person has "leaked" footage or a scoop way ahead of the preview season.

Beyond that, it's just a lousy thing for us gamers to be doing to one another.

It is pretty ignorant to believe there is a trailer for a game that is in the early stages of production. But a lot of those ignorant ones are kids so it's not exactly a surprise.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:26 am

I guess it just means we need to educate people about the red flags. It's dirty pool on the part of content creators to be that deceptive, too. I think I've got a topic for my next Monday Tip-Off.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:40 am

I'm not big on watching youtube for video by the general public, except music videos or comedy clips. Most of what I see is click bait. Some people are creative in how they word the title where it isn't exactly false, but it isn't what it appears to be either. Like it can be read in two different ways but the 2nd way isn't the way most people would understand the meaning to be.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Attention-grabbing titles and savvy use of SEO is fine, as long as the content delivers in terms of its quality. Light entertainment is fine too, when it's not claiming to be something that it isn't. Misleading clickbait that delivers something different (i.e. talks about leaked info, is actually just someone rambling in speculation), or completely fabricates something, is bad content.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BronBron06 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Andrew wrote:I guess it just means we need to educate people about the red flags. It's dirty pool on the part of content creators to be that deceptive, too. I think I've got a topic for my next Monday Tip-Off.

It's just Gen Z being incompetent how internet works or worse, women "gamers" :roll:

Andrew wrote:If you go back far enough in the old NBA Live sections, you'll find posts from people claiming that their father works for EA, and that they have some exclusive information to leak. Beyond our community, there was the person who strung everyone along, claiming they knew how to acquire the Triforce in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's always for attention, and to mess with people.

I love those jokes back in the good ol days.
BronBron06

Return to NBA 2K18