Difficulty Dunking with my Point Guard MyPLAYER

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Difficulty Dunking with my Point Guard MyPLAYER

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 am

This seems to be a common problem, judging by the YouTube videos and posts at OS, and depending on your Archetype, one of the patches seems to have addressed it. However, I'm still having the issue: I can rarely get my Sharpshooting Playmaker point guard to dunk in MyCAREER, in situations where he definitely should be dunking.

I've tried this suggested fix:

phpBB [video]

...but to no avail. Dunk packages are definitely equipped, and with all the grinding, I've managed to get my Driving Dunk rating up to 57 (Standing Dunk 46, Contact Dunk 55), which has allowed me to buy and assign a few more flashier packages. I also have my Vertical rating up to 72, and have tried using both the Pro Stick and the Shoot button, making sure I have enough sprint. Same issue; I can't consistently dunk in situations where my player should, and situations where I see other Sharpshooting Playmakers dunking in 2K Pro-Am.

Obviously, it's not an Archetype that should be dunking over anyone and everyone at will - that's something for the Slasher and Slasher hybrid Archetypes to enjoy - but again, compared to other players with the same build, in situations where I should be dunking, the game is not letting me throw down. It's mostly a Pro-Am and MyCAREER issue as I can dunk a little more often in The Playground (I even finished an alley-oop someone threw me the other day!) and there are no problems whatsoever when shooting around on MyCOURT.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Any further advice? As I said, the fix mentioned above didn't work. It looked as though it might have after hitting The Playground, but still the same story in MyCAREER. I also do have a few more upgrades I can make to Dunks and Vertical, though I need to keep grinding the level caps to get them at this juncture.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Difficulty Dunking with my Point Guard MyPLAYER

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 pm

So, since I've built up some VC and it'll be a while before I level up to the next cap breaker (by which point I should have ample VC built up again), I decided to create a second player, same build, same height and weight, basic dunk packages. I've upgraded my Dunks, Vertical, and Speed, so I'm going to see if the same thing happens with a newly created, post-patch Sharpshooting Playmaker.

While I'm inclined to think that's just the way it is with this particular Archetype, the fact that I see other players with the same Archetype dunking more easily in 2K Pro-Am has me puzzled, hence the experiment. It's strange.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Some interesting results following further experimentation. The new MyPLAYER - same Archetype and vitals, Driving Dunk of 52, Vertical of 69, 66 Overall - does dunk more often in situations where you would expect them to, with ample opportunity to do so. I went back to my first MyPLAYER - as noted above, Driving Dunk of 57, Vertical of 72, 89 Overall - and removed the flashier Dunk Packages, assigning the exact some ones as the second MyPLAYER (and even in the exact same slots). Played a game, and while I did manage a couple of dunks in somewhat surprising situations, I also had about 15 layups, at least 10 of which had enough room and available sprint meter to perform a dunk as the second MyPLAYER had done.

In short, the second MyPLAYER, despite lower ratings, could dunk a lot easier in situations where it should indeed be feasible. I can only conclude that the dunking tendencies have been fixed for new MyPLAYERs, but ones created at launch (or during The Prelude) have not been adjusted accordingly. This would explain why I'm seeing other players with the same Archetype dunking more often than me; it's likely they started new players at some point, or didn't create them until after that patch had been pushed through.

This is rather frustrating, as I don't want to have to grind up the new player's ratings and Badges, and I'm definitely not paying for more VC to do so. Also, none of the preorder content carries over to the new MyPLAYER, nor any other gear that I've purchased for my first MyPLAYER (unlike last year). More of a minor thing compared to the ratings and Badges, no question, but the point is that I've put time and effort into building the player who isn't doing what they're supposed to in all facets. So, yeah. Kind of stuck at this point, unless it's possible for 2K Support to fix it for my MyPLAYER from their end.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Contacted 2K Support. Let's see what happens.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:20 am

Well, here's their response.

Hey Andrew,

Thank you for contacting 2K Support!

I see you're concerned about your MyPLAYER, who seems like he should be landing more dunks in-game than he is. I can definitely understand your concern, especially since you know your stuff and seem to have put a lot of work into carefully building your player.

However, we unfortunately lack the tools necessary to modify your player's chances of dunking in-game; I'm afraid our system isn't quite that robust. Moreover, there are many factors (certainly including, but not limited to attribute upgrade and archetype choices) which can affect your player's dunking capabilities, and I'm afraid that without a very deep look into your player's build, there's no reason why we shouldn't assume that the game isn't functioning as intended.

I realize that this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any further 2K-related questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Kind regards,

April H.
2K Support

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. I explained to them the situation with the second MyPLAYER, and they didn't even acknowledge it. Apparently, everything's working as intended. Yeah, no.

Guess that's that. My fault for getting my hopes up, and expecting 2K might have a solution that doesn't involve me grinding a second player (and hopefully, giving them some "recurrent revenue" to make it faster). No thanks.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 pm

I think I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. I thought I was onto something when I removed all my dunk packages except for the easy ones. I managed to throw down a couple of dunks in a 2K Pro-Am game, including one over a defender on the fast break. After further testing though, it was more of the same. Mostly layups, even in situations where I clearly had enough room and sprint to perform a dunk. It seems things are a little better with a second player of the same Archetype I created to test it out, but still not great. Seems they've nerfed dunk tendencies too much for that build.

Guess I'll just have to master my outside shot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 pm

Another vote for 2k being the greatest basketball game ever put on the earth!

Is that too facetious?
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Well if nothing else, there are moments where I've felt the game isn't as fun as it was last year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 am

I'm a PG Pure Sharpshooter with just the 2 beginning dunk purchases and I can dunk no problem.
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 am

You've created your player much more recently. I originally created mine during The Prelude on PS4, and it seems there was an issue with the dunking tendencies for that Archetype that hasn't been resolved by any of the patches. I've put too much time into my player to start over though, so I'll just have to live with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18