College player misses free throw to preserve record

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

College player misses free throw to preserve record

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

As I've said in previous discussions, I don't follow college basketball that closely, but this story came up in my feed: Iowa's Jordan Bohannon Intentionally Misses Free Throw to Protect Record of Hawkeyes Legend

Iowa sophomore point guard Jordan Bohannon purposefully missed a free throw during Sunday's win against Northwestern—even though the team was trying to protect a late lead.

Up 73–65 with just over two minutes remaining—a comfortable lead, but certainly not an insurmountable one—Bohannon clanked a free throw off the front of the rim. Had he made the shot, it would have been Bohannon's 35th consecutive successful free throw, surpassing the school record of Iowa's Chris Street, who died in a car accident in 1993 while the streak was ongoing.

A moment later, Bohannon pointed to the sky in an apparent tribute to Street.

"That's not my record to have," Bohannon said after the game. "That record deserves to stay in his name."

The general opinion is that it was a classy gesture, and I'd agree with that. There's also been some criticism of it though, from pointing out that records are meant to be broken and that someone else could come along and break it at some point, to leaving the door open with a lead that wasn't exactly insurmountable (and questioning whether he'd have still done it if the game was much closer), to pointing out that if it was an issue, he could've missed earlier so that he didn't tie the record. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think there was some merit to those comments, too.

I don't think it would've been disrespectful to break the record, which has stood for 25 years as it is, and giving up any chance to extend the lead when the game isn't completely out of reach is a gamble. Had the game been much closer and it ended up giving away the win, that would arguably not be a very fitting tribute to a past competitor. However, it ultimately didn't cost them the game, and it was a gesture that obviously meant a lot to him and the school, so I say fair enough. If he's content to share the record in tribute to Chris Street, so be it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: College player misses free throw to preserve record

Postby NovU on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:16 pm

It was his personal choice to make and if he and his team are happy with the decision he's made, I see nothing wrong done there.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Sure it was his choice but some people like to keep memories alive with it. I remember a story about some dude who pulled out an old racing game and found a ghost lap done by his dad who died and he always loses to it so it won't get overwritten. He'll be able to "play" with his dad forever
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 pm

73-65 with over 2 minutes is not out of reach. That is the only thing I question. The competitor in me would have hit the free throw and paid tribute/thanks another way, I wouldn't want to have been responsible for a loss in that situation.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Agreed. Cynically, I do also feel that if he wanted the record to stand alone, he could've missed on the 34th attempt, or any of the attempts leading up to that. As it stands, I think it's a noble gesture, though I don't think it would've been disrespectful to break the record.

[Q] wrote:I remember a story about some dude who pulled out an old racing game and found a ghost lap done by his dad who died and he always loses to it so it won't get overwritten. He'll be able to "play" with his dad forever

I remember that story, too. Definitely heartwarming, definitely some onions being cut.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:58 pm

I think we wouldn't be talking about him if he broke the record and he got to honour a former team legend in the process so good for him!
About the 8 points difference it wasn't huge but it sounds like decent enough given that they don't score as much in ncaa games (I am not an expert so anyone feel free to correct me on that one).
If the team was losing, he probably had to make it but even if he did miss it I imagine fans would have approved the decision. You just need to give them a week or two to digest in that case!
Jackie Kong

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:34 am

Not to sound impersonal, but I think it's dumb, in the same way Clarkson throwing the ball at Saric last night was dumb. You can just play the game and still be respectful.
[Hyperize]

Return to NBA & Basketball